I had a thread deleted and would like to know why? - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-24-2008, 10:46 AM   #16
country flag SloKid
In hiding.

SloKid has a reputation beyond reputeSloKid has a reputation beyond reputeSloKid has a reputation beyond reputeSloKid has a reputation beyond reputeSloKid has a reputation beyond reputeSloKid has a reputation beyond reputeSloKid has a reputation beyond reputeSloKid has a reputation beyond reputeSloKid has a reputation beyond reputeSloKid has a reputation beyond reputeSloKid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I had a thread deleted and would like to know why?

If we delete a thread, there's no place to leave that final post anyway.
SloKid is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2008, 12:15 PM   #17
country flag Denaon
Yes, I am

Denaon has a reputation beyond reputeDenaon has a reputation beyond reputeDenaon has a reputation beyond reputeDenaon has a reputation beyond reputeDenaon has a reputation beyond reputeDenaon has a reputation beyond reputeDenaon has a reputation beyond reputeDenaon has a reputation beyond reputeDenaon has a reputation beyond reputeDenaon has a reputation beyond reputeDenaon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely View Post
Sorry Denaon, I would not like your idea to give reasons or write a final post in each threads that we delete. Commenting (almost or every?) thread would mean much more work for us, and why should a hateful thread or an otherwise illegal thread stay there for everybody to read just that we can give a reason in there? Your suggestion "to make a decent final post explaining the decision and where we can all read the reason for deletion" would mean that all this crap would still stay and be readable in GM or non-tennis or wherever. IMO, only for some cases your suggestion and policy on deleted threads could be applicable and useful.
It's pretty subjective your work...there's been some complaining about all mods' work and I agree that sometimes you do a poor job..now that's my opinion.
You (mods) decide which threads to leave open or not...I think at least you could do the job to explain why you close it, and then we can compare when some threads are closed and some others are still open.
YOU can post: DISCRIMINATIVE COMMENTS. or anything else.....I've seen it before.
IMO all of you might as mods explain why you close a thread cause you might be wrong...or maybe you think you are right all the time?? Can't you be mistaken at least once??

Now come all mods to defend yourselves

Edit: I'd like to understand your reasons, not feel that there's a dictatorial mood going on.

Gato Gaudio
Denaon is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 01:24 PM   #18
country flag Neely
-

Neely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond repute

I never said that we do a perfect job, but we have to make some decisions about critical things and these are not always easy regarding the many different moods, cultures, viewpoints, personalities, cliques, etc. which are going on on this site. And yes, of course it is subjective if you're dealing with dynamic user-created content with such a big variety as this, there is no formula to determine that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgettable Fire
or maybe you think you are right all the time?? Can't you be mistaken at least once??
What a question, of course I can be wrong and was many times, and that's why other mods are here and we discuss issues on which we disagree freely in the team. So it is not that every mod can do whatever he or she likes as we have this instance of control.

Quote:
Edit: I'd like to understand your reasons, not feel that there's a dictatorial mood going on.
http://www.menstennisforums.com/show....php?p=6482190
Is it enough if I tell you that this thread later turned out into a discussion about the happenings of the match which is not allowed in GM, or what exactly would you like to have explained?

Best of luck to all Germans : Nicolas Kiefer | Rainer Schüttler | Lars | Florian | Tommy
Neely is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 01:43 PM   #19
country flag Carlita
Bite me.....

Carlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe if a thread is closed one of the mods could post a message. But those threads that are removed...they are removed because they make a nasty turn, are livescores (which sometimes get merged with the actual livescore too), or are just there for the sake of thrashing a player (and yes if I had my way, piggy roasting, duck hunt, etc would be gone ) some are even wta related and have no business here. I think most is explained in the rules of GM. And I agree if there are a lot of nasty things in a thread, and lots of people report it, we shouldn't close it and let it stay. Just my opinion

and of course we're not perfect, like most human beings.
Carlita is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 01:51 PM   #20
country flag Denaon
Yes, I am

Denaon has a reputation beyond reputeDenaon has a reputation beyond reputeDenaon has a reputation beyond reputeDenaon has a reputation beyond reputeDenaon has a reputation beyond reputeDenaon has a reputation beyond reputeDenaon has a reputation beyond reputeDenaon has a reputation beyond reputeDenaon has a reputation beyond reputeDenaon has a reputation beyond reputeDenaon has a reputation beyond repute

Ok...enough said for me, Neely, Sjoukje and the rest...it's not that I don't appreciate your work, sometimes it seems you overdo...that's why I said about a poor job...

Never mind...it was just an opinion

Gato Gaudio
Denaon is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 01:54 PM   #21
country flag Carlita
Bite me.....

Carlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond reputeCarlita has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgettable Fire View Post
Ok...enough said for me, Neely, Sjoukje and the rest...it's not that I don't appreciate your work, sometimes it seems you overdo...that's why I said about a poor job...

Never mind...it was just an opinion
no problem

funny thing is though: you say we might overdo it, and somewhere else in the forum Tangy says we don't do enough

different views, different opinions
Carlita is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 11:27 PM   #22
country flag pogotheorist

pogotheorist has a reputation beyond reputepogotheorist has a reputation beyond reputepogotheorist has a reputation beyond reputepogotheorist has a reputation beyond reputepogotheorist has a reputation beyond reputepogotheorist has a reputation beyond reputepogotheorist has a reputation beyond reputepogotheorist has a reputation beyond reputepogotheorist has a reputation beyond reputepogotheorist has a reputation beyond reputepogotheorist has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloKid View Post
If we delete a thread, there's no place to leave that final post anyway.
A "Deleted threads" forum would solve that. As it is, a thread vanishes and you don't even have the material with which to argue against the judgment.

And a final post with a very curt rationale would be good enough: e.g., "Rule 7". That's a heck of a lot better than leaving a poster offended and baffled. Wouldn't be hard to make deletion with signed rationale a one-click task for mods - improving user experience without adding any work.

Re PMing mods: deletions are anonymous - who do you PM? And mods are under no obligation to reply. I PMed a mod deleting my threads - didn't get an answer.
pogotheorist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 12:04 AM   #23
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pogotheorist View Post
A "Deleted threads" forum would solve that. As it is, a thread vanishes and you don't even have the material with which to argue against the judgment.
What would be the point? the point of deleting threads is that they're not appropriate for the forum, putting them all together in a Deleted Threads forum wouldn't rectify the problem.

Quote:
And a final post with a very curt rationale would be good enough: e.g., "Rule 7". That's a heck of a lot better than leaving a poster offended and baffled. Wouldn't be hard to make deletion with signed rationale a one-click task for mods - improving user experience without adding any work.

Re PMing mods: deletions are anonymous - who do you PM? And mods are under no obligation to reply. I PMed a mod deleting my threads - didn't get an answer.
All forum leaders are listed here http://www.menstennisforums.com/showgroups.php, you can send PMs to multiple people at a time. if someone is ignoring your PM, write to a supermoderator (there are 3, listed all the way down under the label "Admins") - I'm sure the supermoderators would be interested if a forum moderator was ignoring you because that shouldn't be happening. And no need to worry - f you write to the wrong mod, I'm sure he or she will be more than happy to direct you in the right direction so don't worry about PMing the wrong person b/c we are all willing to help whoever PMs us.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 12:30 AM   #24
country flag scoobs
Anastasia Komananov, KGB

scoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond repute

Can we try for a little consistency here and transparency?

I'm posting on a thread about Andys Murray and Roddick supposedly being the only threats to a Nadal-Federer final, I thought there was a reasonably worthy and interesting discussion developing.

I come back later and the whole thing has been deleted and apparently, from what I can determine, on the basis that it went a bit off topic and onto someone's love-hate relationship with Gasquet.

I mean - if it's gone off topic but not offensive - surely just a nudge to tell people to put it back on topic, or at worse lock the thread. Why delete it? Nobody entirely seems to know why because nobody is allowed to PM the mod in question to detemine the reason.

I'm a bit disgruntled at sensible postings on discussion threads being deleted on the basis that they later went off topic a bit. I don't want to waste my time trying to engage in serious discussion if my posts are going to be arbitrarily deleted a bit later on.

A simple thread closure with a note from the mod explaining why would have sufficed.
scoobs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 03:55 AM   #25
bad gambler

pogo - I can't really add anymore to what Deb posted above in response to your post. In terms of who to PM I would advise you PM the whole moderator group of a particular forum depending on which forum your question relates to so as it won't get missed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobs View Post
Can we try for a little consistency here and transparency?

I'm posting on a thread about Andys Murray and Roddick supposedly being the only threats to a Nadal-Federer final, I thought there was a reasonably worthy and interesting discussion developing.

I come back later and the whole thing has been deleted and apparently, from what I can determine, on the basis that it went a bit off topic and onto someone's love-hate relationship with Gasquet.

I mean - if it's gone off topic but not offensive - surely just a nudge to tell people to put it back on topic, or at worse lock the thread. Why delete it? Nobody entirely seems to know why because nobody is allowed to PM the mod in question to detemine the reason.

I'm a bit disgruntled at sensible postings on discussion threads being deleted on the basis that they later went off topic a bit. I don't want to waste my time trying to engage in serious discussion if my posts are going to be arbitrarily deleted a bit later on.

A simple thread closure with a note from the mod explaining why would have sufficed.
Fair point about the difference between deleting and closing a thread. I'll raise it with the other moderators to ensure we do get some consistency in how to deal with the problematic threads which do contain good discussion as opposed to the problematic threads such as those designed purely for trolling which should be tossed into the garbage bin.
View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:08 PM   #26

pogotheorist has a reputation beyond reputepogotheorist has a reputation beyond reputepogotheorist has a reputation beyond reputepogotheorist has a reputation beyond reputepogotheorist has a reputation beyond reputepogotheorist has a reputation beyond reputepogotheorist has a reputation beyond reputepogotheorist has a reputation beyond reputepogotheorist has a reputation beyond reputepogotheorist has a reputation beyond reputepogotheorist has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deboogle!. View Post
What would be the point? the point of deleting threads is that they're not appropriate for the forum, putting them all together in a Deleted Threads forum wouldn't rectify the problem.
The point would be to keep every normal forum on the site in compliance with the rules as interepreted by the mods, without destroying anything and while leaving the judgments subject to reconsideration and reversal, by creating in effect a garbage can. And your claim that threads being deleted are bad threads that should not exist takes as gospel the very point under challenge: that any violation by any poster should result in wholesale thread destruction.

The issue here is that threads in which SOME POSTS are seen as breaking ANY RULE - even by straying off topic, and making remarks that would be fine if the thread title were different - are summarily nuked - because the mods have no other response. If someone posted bomb-making secrets or demented obscene invective, then absolute and irreversible destruction might be appropriate - but if, as in Scoobs' example, a thread about the two Andys digresses into some innocuous remarks about Gasquet, it makes little sense for even those posts to be destroyed, and no sense for the whole thread to be abruptly and irreversibly annihilated. It's like equipping your police with guns but no ticket books - so that instead of issuing ticket to illegally parked cars, they have to shoot them.

Last edited by pogotheorist : 06-26-2008 at 09:14 PM.
Old 06-28-2008, 01:08 AM   #27
country flag Deboogle!.

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

Let's not get out of hand. This is a message board moderated by volunteers who are doing the best they can.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Old 06-28-2008, 04:10 AM   #28

And it's a place where human minds gather to ponder something which interests them, and to try as civilized beings to enjoy each others company. If systemic improvements can improve the climate and eliminate sources of ill-feeling, I don't think it's at all out of hand to point this out. Just read this thread to see how serious perceived abuse feels to those who perceive it - no matter how trifling the topic.

Not sure if you're married, but maintaining amicable and productive human relationships is a task challenging enough to have pulled our enormous brains into existence!
Old 06-28-2008, 03:17 PM   #29
country flag Deboogle!.

Of course, many of us like coming here to escape our lives and bad days and what, which is why some of us get so upset when people are cruel and mean and insulting on here. I don't mean to minimize the importance of your threads and your perceived grievances, but this board has bigger problems than your draws getting removed, even if that's being done unfairly or incorrectly. But to compare this messageboard to police without weapons and to use words like annihilated and nuked, i think that's a bit of an exaggeration. The mods are doing the best we can - sometimes mistakes are made and they are fixed. We've told you what to do to voice your concerns, and I'm sure they won't be ignored.

Old 06-28-2008, 06:06 PM   #30

I don't think the board has or really can have bigger problems than mods lying to administrators to cover up wrongdoing. What's proven is proven, even if the discipline to accept unwelcome truth does not exist. And there is a correct response, not trivial or vindictive, that simply removes the opportunity for abuse.