Francis Tiafoe - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-04-2014, 05:52 PM   #1
country flag jcempire

jcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond repute
Default Francis Tiafoe

Birth Date:20 January 1998
Birth Place:Baltimore, Maryland, U.S.A.
Residence:College Park, Maryland, U.S.A.
Height:6 ft. 1 in. (1.85 metres)
Weight:165 lbs. (75 kilos)
Plays:Right

Francis Tiafoe, Next Big American Tennis Star?
June 19, 2014
His parents are from Sierra Leone, but Francis Tiafoe, 16, is being talked about as the next big American tennis star. He has won the 18-and-under titles at the top two U.S. junior events, making him the first player to pull that off since John McEnroe in 1976. Tiafoe just returned from the French Open and is getting ready to play at Wimbledon next week.

Tiafoe's daily routine begins at the Junior Tennis Champions Center in suburban Washington, D.C. He grew up playing tennis at this center where his father once worked as a maintenance man.

Frank Salazar, one of his coaches, says he’s known Tiafoe since he was five.

“He was always on the court all day long from sun up to sundown, and he played with anybody who had a pulse,” he said.

It has paid off. His numerous victories include a triumph at the prestigious Orange Bowl Junior tournament in Florida, following in the footsteps of legends such as Roger Federer, Andy Roddick and John McEnroe.

He was considered the top seed when he competed in the French Open junior tournament earlier this month. Although he lost in the second round, Tiafoe said it was a wonderful experience.

“Rolland Garros is probably one of the best [grand] slams you're going to go to," he said. "It’s really nice and it’s the first time I’ve been there. The treatment there is unbelievable, and the food there was great. I just had a great time there.”

As Tiafoe gets ready to make his debut at Wimbledon, Salazar says his biggest strengths are his love and aptitude for the game.

“One would be passion for the game, which I think hands down is one of the most important qualities he has," he said. "Two: because he’s been around tennis so many years, he’s developed a very high tennis IQ. Lastly, he has tremendous racket hit speed and tremendous feel in terms of when he makes contact and strikes the ball.”

On average, Tiafoe spends about four hours per day on the court and two hours in fitness training. He also has to attend school a few hours every day. It can be a grueling schedule, but Tiafoe says he does not mind.

“Some days, obviously, I am like 'Today is not the day,' but you got to push through, especially when my aspirations are to be pro, you can’t have any bad days," he said. "All these pros are getting better every day. You just want to catch up to them.”

He says when he’s not playing tennis, he spends time with friends and mentor Misha Kouznetsov, who has coached him since he was 8.

Tiafoe says he looks up to his mom, dad and twin brother who have taught him the value of hard work and humility in life. He’s been to Sierra Leone once, when he was eight years old, and has fond memories.

“I met all my family, cousins; I didn’t really realize I had so many cousins," he said. "It was good to see that environment; be around there and really see what my parents went through when they were younger.”

Although he has roots in Sierra Leone, Tiafoe is American through and through. He says his dream is to one day win the U.S. Open.

Borna Coric will be No 1 by May 2016
Nick Kyrgios will be No 1 by Jan 2016
jcempire is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2014, 06:18 PM   #2
country flag jcempire

jcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Francis Tiafoe

He is now in QF of USOPEN boys single

Old 09-04-2014, 08:37 PM   #3
country flag Redkop

Redkop has a reputation beyond reputeRedkop has a reputation beyond reputeRedkop has a reputation beyond reputeRedkop has a reputation beyond reputeRedkop has a reputation beyond reputeRedkop has a reputation beyond reputeRedkop has a reputation beyond reputeRedkop has a reputation beyond reputeRedkop has a reputation beyond reputeRedkop has a reputation beyond reputeRedkop has a reputation beyond repute

Nice thread....Rublev up next, best of luck Francis

Very Hot Squad
Blake Mott, Christian Garin, Jared Donaldson, Liam Broady, Omar Jasika, Francis Tiafoe, Hyeon Chung, Evgeny Tyurnev

Gael Monfils Stan Wawrinka Tommy Robredo Leonardo Mayer Peter Gojowczyk

Luca Vanni Marcus Willis Dan Cox
Redkop is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 05:30 PM   #4
country flag PTWahoo14

PTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond repute

Currently pulling the biggest choke. Was serving up 6-1 5-2 30-0, lost that game. Had 2 match points receiving at 5-3, lost that game. And then 3 more games in a row to lose the set.
PTWahoo14 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 06:09 PM   #5
country flag Ausie

Ausie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond repute

2 points pleaaaaase

Lleyton Hewitt

Gael Monfils - Aleksandr Dolgopolov - Juan Martin Del Potro - Nick Kyrgios - Jason Kubler - Serhiy Stakhovsky - Gianni Mina - Martin Klizan - Benjamin Mitchell - Borna Coric - Francis Tiafoe - Noah Rubin
Ausie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 06:18 PM   #6
country flag Ausie

Ausie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, he won!

Lleyton Hewitt

Gael Monfils - Aleksandr Dolgopolov - Juan Martin Del Potro - Nick Kyrgios - Jason Kubler - Serhiy Stakhovsky - Gianni Mina - Martin Klizan - Benjamin Mitchell - Borna Coric - Francis Tiafoe - Noah Rubin
Ausie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 06:24 PM   #7
country flag PTWahoo14

PTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond repute

So glad he won! Impressive turn around after completely losing focus in that second set.

Final score 6-1 5-7 6-4
PTWahoo14 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 06:43 PM   #8
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

SapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTWahoo14 View Post
So glad he won! Impressive turn around after completely losing focus in that second set.

Final score 6-1 5-7 6-4
Glad he won but he is still mentally the weakest of everybody (maybe you can make a case for Escobedo). Don't see much improvement in the last 2 years; hope he is working with a sports psychologist.

http://justdroptheball.blogspot.com/
SapELee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:20 PM   #9
country flag trojanstallion

trojanstallion has a reputation beyond reputetrojanstallion has a reputation beyond reputetrojanstallion has a reputation beyond reputetrojanstallion has a reputation beyond reputetrojanstallion has a reputation beyond reputetrojanstallion has a reputation beyond reputetrojanstallion has a reputation beyond reputetrojanstallion has a reputation beyond reputetrojanstallion has a reputation beyond reputetrojanstallion has a reputation beyond reputetrojanstallion has a reputation beyond repute

HUGE waste of energy not sealing it in the 2nd set, seeing as Halys didn't have to do much but play 4 games today. But I guess getting the W, is better than choking it away....
trojanstallion is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:17 PM   #10
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

SapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond repute

Nice hug at the net.

Old 09-06-2014, 12:13 AM   #11
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Tennis Channel interview from yesterday: http://www.tennischanneleverywhere.c...open-interview

Old 09-06-2014, 08:36 PM   #12
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Lost 6-2 3-6 7-6(6)

Old 09-06-2014, 09:55 PM   #13
country flag jcempire

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapELee View Post
Lost 6-2 3-6 7-6(6)

He has a chance to win the whole thing

bad result but maybe good for future if he learn from it

Old 09-06-2014, 10:05 PM   #14
country flag benji47

benji47 has a reputation beyond reputebenji47 has a reputation beyond reputebenji47 has a reputation beyond reputebenji47 has a reputation beyond reputebenji47 has a reputation beyond reputebenji47 has a reputation beyond reputebenji47 has a reputation beyond reputebenji47 has a reputation beyond reputebenji47 has a reputation beyond reputebenji47 has a reputation beyond reputebenji47 has a reputation beyond repute

He would have lost in 2 if Halys didn't all of a sudden lose the ability to serve in the 2nd, and I'm not even exaggerating. He played an okay 3rd set I thought considering the condition. Halys just played his best points at the end of the TB.

The choke yesterday was more problematic. Rublev wasn't feeling his best, but Francis was just a mess on court, couldn't capitalize on chances.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
benji47 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 10:16 PM   #15
country flag jcempire

I just hope he is not another Donald Young or Ryan Harrison