2008 AAMI Kooyong - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-09-2008, 06:16 AM   #31
country flag krystlel

krystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2008 AAMI Kooyong

It sounds a lot worse than first thought judging by the articles. This really sucks.

Here's another article that says more, the sentence bolded sounds more encouraging than the previous articles, but really we need to wait to get more details, I think.
Quote:
Nalbandian's in doubt for Open

January 09, 2008

ARGENTINIAN star David Nalbandian's Australian Open campaign is in serious doubt after he suffered a back injury.

Nalbandian, who twice beat World No.1 Roger Federer last year, suffered back spasms while practising with Russian Marat Safin at Melbourne Park.

He was forced to pull out of this week's Kooyong Classic lead-up event and was awaiting the results of an MRI scan.

Nalbandian, ranked 10 in the world, said doctors had told him he would need to rest for at least three to four days.

"I was warming up this morning with Safin and I felt a pain in my back," Nalbandian said.

"I saw the doctor after and he told me it was a distension a little bit in the muscle so I need rest for three or four days and see how it goes.

Nalbandian said the spasm was debilitating at the time.

"It's hard to describe how much I feel but for sure I can't play, I can't even hit slowly with the ball so it's better to rest and have treatment to recover the muscle and see if I can start hitting in two or three days," he said.

Nalbandian said the spasms began midway through his scheduled one-hour session with Safin.

"I felt it after 25, 30 minutes and tried to keep going all the way with Marat," he said.

"We were playing points and I felt I couldn't continue so after that we saw the doctors and they told me it was better to rest."

He said he had not had a similar back problem before.

"No, it's the first time so actually it should be a maximum of four days – that's what the doctor said – so I shall wait," Nalbandian said.

"It's a disappointment because this tournament will be the first matches of the year for me...but I can't do much, just wait and try to be ready for Monday.

"I would have preferred to play three matches here and be ready for the Open with a good feeling.

"It will be a little tougher or a little different than (in past) years but that's the way it is," he said.

Nalbandian said he felt "perfect" as he began his Open preparations, having practised hard for the past six weeks.

"It's just bad luck but I have four days before the Open so I think I will be okay – you never know but it's better now than Monday."

Nalbandian defeated Federer twice late last year, in the space of five weeks, in the final of the Masters Series in Madrid and in the third round of the Paris Masters tournament.

He said the Swiss world champion's game elevated him to a new level.

"I like to play against him, I think we both enjoy playing each other," he said.

"It's motivation – he's the No.1 in the world and he just lost a few matches in the year so it's nice every time you go on court and play against him, he's at a great level."
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...-23216,00.html
krystlel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2008, 06:37 AM   #32
country flag sigmagirl91
Miss Thang

sigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond repute

So, what was that back injury back in April/May of last year?
Old 01-09-2008, 06:39 AM   #33
country flag krystlel

krystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond repute

He had spasms also when he withdrew in Monte Carlo, but maybe it wasn't distension.
krystlel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 06:40 AM   #34
country flag sigmagirl91
Miss Thang

sigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by krystlel View Post
He had spasms also when he withdrew in Monte Carlo, but maybe it wasn't distension.
Probably not.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:46 AM   #35
country flag LeChuck

LeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond repute

Terrible news about David, and it had to happen at a time when he was full of confidence and looking forward to making a serious impact at a grand slam. Back spasms are very painful and debilitating indeed, and in tennis there are numerous ways in which they can be picked. I'm not surprised to hear that he is a doubt for the Aussie Open next week unfortunately.
LeChuck is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:26 AM   #36
country flag crazy_nanine

crazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond reputecrazy_nanine has a reputation beyond repute

this guy is really unlucky...now he might not even play in the Australian open, that's disappointing!

Quote:
Hey . I'll introduce myself on the Asado thread in 2-3 days. I'm bit busy with other stuff. The only thing I can "reveal" about me now, is the answer I gave to Martine when she asked me, on Gaudio's forum, which players I like.
BTW, my name is Getta (same as my username )
Getta
crazy_nanine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:29 AM   #37
country flag Viken01

Viken01 has a reputation beyond reputeViken01 has a reputation beyond reputeViken01 has a reputation beyond reputeViken01 has a reputation beyond reputeViken01 has a reputation beyond reputeViken01 has a reputation beyond reputeViken01 has a reputation beyond reputeViken01 has a reputation beyond reputeViken01 has a reputation beyond reputeViken01 has a reputation beyond reputeViken01 has a reputation beyond repute

WHAT ? I just come back from my exams and what do I read ? david injured !!

I shouldn't have gotten out of my bed today :/

Poor david, I hope it's nothing serious and he'll be ok in 4 days after resting a bit.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:55 AM   #38
country flag gooner88

gooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond repute

This is really bad news to hear. I was really looking forward to seeing whether Nalbo would hit the ground running, and now he's in a race against time to be fit for the Aussie Open. What is it with him and Kooyong; this is the third year in a row he's had to withdraw from the event. 2006 it was a stomach bug/virus, last year it was his knee and this year its his back.
I just hope he can be fit in time.
gooner88 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 12:20 PM   #39
country flag bittertea

bittertea has a reputation beyond reputebittertea has a reputation beyond reputebittertea has a reputation beyond reputebittertea has a reputation beyond reputebittertea has a reputation beyond reputebittertea has a reputation beyond reputebittertea has a reputation beyond reputebittertea has a reputation beyond reputebittertea has a reputation beyond reputebittertea has a reputation beyond reputebittertea has a reputation beyond repute

Until any further developments, all I have to add is;

FUCK!

and...

FUCK THIS!

For fucks sake, what a blow.
bittertea is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 12:27 PM   #40
country flag my0118

my0118 has a reputation beyond reputemy0118 has a reputation beyond reputemy0118 has a reputation beyond reputemy0118 has a reputation beyond reputemy0118 has a reputation beyond reputemy0118 has a reputation beyond reputemy0118 has a reputation beyond reputemy0118 has a reputation beyond reputemy0118 has a reputation beyond reputemy0118 has a reputation beyond reputemy0118 has a reputation beyond repute

I was quite sure AO title would go to him,
I hope he recovers quickly.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:30 PM   #41
country flag Joyce_23

Joyce_23 has a reputation beyond reputeJoyce_23 has a reputation beyond reputeJoyce_23 has a reputation beyond reputeJoyce_23 has a reputation beyond reputeJoyce_23 has a reputation beyond reputeJoyce_23 has a reputation beyond reputeJoyce_23 has a reputation beyond reputeJoyce_23 has a reputation beyond reputeJoyce_23 has a reputation beyond reputeJoyce_23 has a reputation beyond reputeJoyce_23 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, that was some bad news to wake up with...I don't usually start my day with tea while screaming fuck at the tv. I just hope he recovers in time but I'm not all that optimistic. Let's hope it's not as bad as we think. Damn.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid it will never truely begin.
Joyce_23 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 01:18 PM   #42
country flag chabela

chabela has a reputation beyond reputechabela has a reputation beyond reputechabela has a reputation beyond reputechabela has a reputation beyond reputechabela has a reputation beyond reputechabela has a reputation beyond reputechabela has a reputation beyond reputechabela has a reputation beyond reputechabela has a reputation beyond reputechabela has a reputation beyond reputechabela has a reputation beyond repute

The DAVID's press conference. I know it just be posted, but here there are the Q.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

AAMI CLASSIC

9 JANUARY 2008

PRESS CONFERENCE - DAVID NALBANDIAN

Q. We are sorry about what has happened to you today.

A. Yeah.

Q. Sort of - describe what happened with your back this
morning?

A. I was warming up this morning with Safin and I felt, like,
painful in the back, and I saw the doctor after and they
told me was a distension a little bit in the muscle, so I
need rest for three or four days and see how it's going.
So we will see.

Q. How painful was it at the time?

A. Well it's a little bit - it's tough to describe how much
you feel, I feel, but for sure I can't play. I can't even
hit slowly with the ball, so better to rest, to do
treatment, to recover the muscle and see how it is in two,
three days and start hitting slowly again and just see,
wait.

Q. Is it a new problem for you? Have you had this before?

A. No, the first time; so actually should be two, three,
maximum four days. That's what the doctor said, so I
should wait, and not much to do.

Q. Is that the process now, as far as the Open and your
preparation? At what point do you decide you have to pull
out there?

A. Well, it's difficult to say, but it's disappointing because
this is, this tournament and this exhibition will be the
first matches of the year for me, so will be better to play
and see how I feel on court, to get the feeling, on the
ball on the surface, with everything. So it's very, very
disappointing but I can't do much. So just wait, try to be
ready for Monday.

Q. You haven't played since October. Are you concerned that a
lack of tournament play will affect your Open?

A. You never know. I hope not, but it's, like I say now, I
prefer to play three matches here, be ready for the Open
with a good feeling. At the moment, I will start,
hopefully I'll start the Open without any match, without
any points, or will be a little tougher or a little
different than many years ago. But that's the way it is.

Q. You have seen a doctor. Have you had scans, or anything
like that?

A. After? Well, as soon as I can leave from here.

Q. Is it lower back, or up higher?

A. Median, L12.

Q. Did it happen on any particular movement, or what?

A. No, not really, just became from small to big, bigger, more
painful every movement I do; but it's what movement, or
what shot, or whatever.

Q. How long was the process from initial pain to "I can't
play", sort of? How long was that time-frame?

A. Well, I practised for an hour today and start, start
feeling it in the median 20 minutes, 30, 35 minutes, and
try to keep going all the way with Marat. We play points
and I feel like I couldn't continue so we, right after that
we saw the doctor and I explained the situation and they
tell me it's better to rest. It's not going to be any
better if I continue pushing so rest, treatment,
anti-inflammatories and wait.

Q. It's obviously quite frustrating for you, given the way you
ended last year and what you were doing in the off-season.
Were you working hard, did you feel good coming in?

A. Yes, perfect. I was just resting two weeks and a half, and
then I was, I start practising in the end of November, so
almost one month and a half practising hard. So I feel
great, I feel fit, everything, and today was very unlucky,
just warming up. It's bad luck.

Q. It's obviously better that it happens now than later?

A. Sorry?

Q. It's obviously better that it happens now, rather than next
week, during a tournament?

A. Of course. Of course. I have four days, five days
remaining to the Open so I think I will be okay, but you
never know. But it's better now than Monday.

Q. Do you wait until Monday to make a decision on the Open, or
do you need to have a hit Sunday, or something, to prove to
yourself that you can?

A. I'll try first, I'll try first definitely. I'm not going
to go on court Monday without any hit and play five-set
match.

Q. So realistically, the deadline for you is sort of Sunday?

A. Yes, yes, Saturday, Sunday. Saturday, I'll start hitting
if I can, 30, 40, an hour's hit.

Q. You would be one of the few players on the court playing
Roger Federer. What is it, do you think, about your game
that troubles him?

A. I don't know. I like to play against him; I think both,
because we know each other from juniors, both. I think we
both enjoy playing each other. I don't know. It's tough
to say.

Q. Do you feel confident with him?

A. Yeah, motivation. He's No. 1 in the world and he just
loses very few matches. Every time you go on court and
play against him he has a great level, he's a great player,
so it's better.

Q. Thank you very much.

- - -

Visita el flog de MARIO ANCIC
chabela is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 01:23 PM   #43
country flag TMJordan

TMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond reputeTMJordan has a reputation beyond repute

FUck Fuck

Idiot Idiot

John

you shit Isner

I hate you
TMJordan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 02:40 PM   #44
country flag Nalrodd

Nalrodd has a reputation beyond reputeNalrodd has a reputation beyond reputeNalrodd has a reputation beyond reputeNalrodd has a reputation beyond reputeNalrodd has a reputation beyond reputeNalrodd has a reputation beyond reputeNalrodd has a reputation beyond reputeNalrodd has a reputation beyond reputeNalrodd has a reputation beyond reputeNalrodd has a reputation beyond reputeNalrodd has a reputation beyond repute

Please.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:02 PM   #45
country flag allblue

allblue has a reputation beyond reputeallblue has a reputation beyond reputeallblue has a reputation beyond reputeallblue has a reputation beyond reputeallblue has a reputation beyond reputeallblue has a reputation beyond reputeallblue has a reputation beyond reputeallblue has a reputation beyond reputeallblue has a reputation beyond reputeallblue has a reputation beyond reputeallblue has a reputation beyond repute

David....please rest well, this sucks...
allblue is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote