2012 MTF Mug of the Month: Wawrinka at it again - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-09-2008, 06:27 AM   #61
country flag ReturnWinner

ReturnWinner has a reputation beyond reputeReturnWinner has a reputation beyond reputeReturnWinner has a reputation beyond reputeReturnWinner has a reputation beyond reputeReturnWinner has a reputation beyond reputeReturnWinner has a reputation beyond reputeReturnWinner has a reputation beyond reputeReturnWinner has a reputation beyond reputeReturnWinner has a reputation beyond reputeReturnWinner has a reputation beyond reputeReturnWinner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2008 MTF Mug of the Month

Congrats Hewitt, his hard work with Roche is paying off.
ReturnWinner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2008, 04:24 PM   #62
country flag Merton

Merton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merton View Post
The bolded part is so true, that is what bothers me about excuses in general.

As for this match, Nadal won easily in the final in Rome after having a long match against Davydenko in the semifinal. Besides, Nadal won easily against Youzhny in Paris when Youzhny had an exhausting match against Haas the previous day. I don't recall Nadal fans saying on that occassion "oh, a piece of good luck for Rafa, Youzhny is normally a bad matchup for him"
[quote=l_mac;6404803]

That provides conclusive proof that my memory is not good Furthermore, it shows that the posters mentioned noted Nadal's tiredness as a fact, not as an excuse. Still, out of curiosity, I looked at how the press covered the two results. Here is Reuters on the Paris result:

Nadal crushes Youzhny's Shanghai dreams
By Patrick Vignal

PARIS (Reuters) - World number two Rafael Nadal shattered Mikhail Youzhny's Masters Cup dreams by crushing the Russian 6-4 6-2 in the quarter-finals of the Paris Masters Series tournament on Friday.

Youzhny, one of several players battling this week in Paris for the two remaining spots at the Nov. 11-18 season finale in Shanghai featuring the world's top eight, survived two match points but was outpowered by the muscular Spaniard.

Nadal, appearing at the $2.45-million indoor event for the first time, sealed victory with a backhand winner after 93 minutes to set up a semi-final meeting with Cypriot Marcos Baghdatis.

The unseeded Baghdatis had earlier ended Spaniard Tommy Robredo's Shanghai hopes with a 6-4 6-4 win.

Neither Youzhny nor Robredo can now finish in the top eight of the ATP Race to win a ticket to China.

Baghdatis still stands an outside chance but will qualify only if he wins the title and neither Frenchman Richard Gasquet nor Briton Andy Murray, who face each other in the quarter-finals later on Friday, make the final.

Argentine David Nalbandian, who dropped out of the hunt for tickets to Shanghai on Thursday despite his third-round victory over world number one Roger Federer, advanced to the semi-finals but was made to work for his win.

The unseeded Nalbandian, who had beaten Federer already in the Madrid Masters final late last month, needed three sets and nearly as many hours to down Spain's David Ferrer 7-6 6-7 6-2 in a ferocious contest featuring thrilling rallies.

Fifth seed Ferrer, who has already qualified for Shanghai, matched his opponent's power and determination for two sets but then ran out of steam and Nalbandian wrapped it up with an ace to set-up a semi-final against Murray or Gasquet.
Source: http://in.reuters.com/article/worldO...30302620071102

Here is Chennai's result:

Tired Nadal routed by Youzhny in Chennai final
By N.Ananthanarayanan

CHENNAI, India (Reuters) - Exhausted world number two Rafael Nadal suffered a setback before this month's Australian Open after he was thrashed 6-0 6-1 by Mikhail Youzhny in the Chennai Open final on Sunday.

The Spaniard looked stiff from the start against fourth seed Youzhny, clearly showing the effect of his marathon four-hour semi-final win over compatriot Carlos Moya the previous day.

Nadal called for medical attention trailing 4-1 in the second set and then went through the motions as Youzhny completed his fourth career title win with ease, disappointing a large holiday crowd cheering the Spaniard.

"There was less than 24 hours for recovery," Nadal told reporters, allaying any injury concerns ahead of the year's first grand slam.

A gracious Youzhny said: "This victory is a present from Rafa to me. I didn't win today, Rafa just lost the match because he couldn't move well."

Youzhny, the world number 19, produced an array of superb forehand shots to race through the first set in just over 20 minutes as Nadal made many unforced errors.

Although the Spaniard took a vitamin tablet during the break between the sets, it appeared to have no effect as Youzhny against broke his rival in the fourth game before going 4-1 up.

The trainer stretched Nadal's right leg before the player returned to the court to complete the match, Youzhny serving out to secure victory in under one hour.

Source: http://www.reuters.com/article/sport...L8154420080106

From Isaac Asimov's "Foundation".
Merton is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 07:11 PM   #63
Chris Seahorse

Chris Seahorse has a reputation beyond reputeChris Seahorse has a reputation beyond reputeChris Seahorse has a reputation beyond reputeChris Seahorse has a reputation beyond reputeChris Seahorse has a reputation beyond reputeChris Seahorse has a reputation beyond reputeChris Seahorse has a reputation beyond reputeChris Seahorse has a reputation beyond reputeChris Seahorse has a reputation beyond reputeChris Seahorse has a reputation beyond reputeChris Seahorse has a reputation beyond repute

So far...

1) Andreev for 2 poor performances particularly against Johansson - easily the worst tennis performance of the year.
2) Hewitt for 2 big upset defeats and the quotes regarding the heat rule.

But this honor will be won at the Australian Open not before.

The Magician

Marcos Baghdatis Fernando Gonzalez

Florian Mayer Gustavo Kuerten Richard Gasquet

Feliciano Lopez Lukasz Kubot Hyung-Taik Lee Younes El Alynaoui Dick Norman Sergiy Stakhovsky Aisam Qureshi Dusan Vemic Michal Przysiezny Ernests Gulbis Carlos Moya Andy Murray Jonas Bjorkman Andrei Pavel Olivier Patience Mariano Zabaleta Jarkko Nieminen Fyrstenberg/Matkowski
Chris Seahorse is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:55 PM   #64
country flag Marek.

Marek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond repute

Hewitt for not backing his talk up.

MUG
Marek. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 12:10 AM   #65
country flag sawan66278

sawan66278 has a reputation beyond reputesawan66278 has a reputation beyond reputesawan66278 has a reputation beyond reputesawan66278 has a reputation beyond reputesawan66278 has a reputation beyond reputesawan66278 has a reputation beyond reputesawan66278 has a reputation beyond reputesawan66278 has a reputation beyond reputesawan66278 has a reputation beyond reputesawan66278 has a reputation beyond reputesawan66278 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaxMisha View Post
In general, I agree. As for the highlighted part - well, yes and no. He obviously was tired, but even if both Youzhny and Nadal are 100 % on hardcourt, Youzhny wins. Youzhny's problem is that he is very streaky, but when he is on, he is one of the best players on hardcourt. The part that bugs me about the "Nadal was tired" excuse is the implication most fans (not you!) put into it - namely that he would have won, had he been 100 %. The truth is, against Youzhny playing the way he did, Nadal still would have gotten comprehensively beaten. However, he certainly would not have won only 26 % of the points played. So yes, tiredness was a factor, but I believe its importance is greatly overstated by many Nadal fans. The scoreline would have been more competeitive, but the outcome would most likely have been the same anyway.
I love Rafa...but no excuses. Perhaps Misha would not have looked quite as good if he were playing a Rafa who was actually giving him some difficult shots to deal with. Misha may have lost, he may have won: we'll never know. In any event, no excuse for Rafa to lose 6-0, 6-1. Captain Claymerica obviously has never heard about, I don't know, coming to net to try to make your opponent beat you...and saving your body, all the while practicing your volleys for the upcoming AO.

Rafa would be the clear winner if not for, as you stated, the Andreev loss to Tojo...a man WELL past his prime. However, given Lleyton's comments, his "influence" over the changing court surface of the AO, and his TWO losses to players outside the top 30---the man to beat at this moment.
sawan66278 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 01:23 AM   #66
country flag KaxMisha

KaxMisha has a reputation beyond reputeKaxMisha has a reputation beyond reputeKaxMisha has a reputation beyond reputeKaxMisha has a reputation beyond reputeKaxMisha has a reputation beyond reputeKaxMisha has a reputation beyond reputeKaxMisha has a reputation beyond reputeKaxMisha has a reputation beyond reputeKaxMisha has a reputation beyond reputeKaxMisha has a reputation beyond reputeKaxMisha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merton View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_mac View Post
That provides conclusive proof that my memory is not good Furthermore, it shows that the posters mentioned noted Nadal's tiredness as a fact, not as an excuse. Still, out of curiosity, I looked at how the press covered the two results. Here is Reuters on the Paris result:

Nadal crushes Youzhny's Shanghai dreams
By Patrick Vignal

PARIS (Reuters) - World number two Rafael Nadal shattered Mikhail Youzhny's Masters Cup dreams by crushing the Russian 6-4 6-2 in the quarter-finals of the Paris Masters Series tournament on Friday.

Youzhny, one of several players battling this week in Paris for the two remaining spots at the Nov. 11-18 season finale in Shanghai featuring the world's top eight, survived two match points but was outpowered by the muscular Spaniard.

Nadal, appearing at the $2.45-million indoor event for the first time, sealed victory with a backhand winner after 93 minutes to set up a semi-final meeting with Cypriot Marcos Baghdatis.

The unseeded Baghdatis had earlier ended Spaniard Tommy Robredo's Shanghai hopes with a 6-4 6-4 win.

Neither Youzhny nor Robredo can now finish in the top eight of the ATP Race to win a ticket to China.

Baghdatis still stands an outside chance but will qualify only if he wins the title and neither Frenchman Richard Gasquet nor Briton Andy Murray, who face each other in the quarter-finals later on Friday, make the final.

Argentine David Nalbandian, who dropped out of the hunt for tickets to Shanghai on Thursday despite his third-round victory over world number one Roger Federer, advanced to the semi-finals but was made to work for his win.

The unseeded Nalbandian, who had beaten Federer already in the Madrid Masters final late last month, needed three sets and nearly as many hours to down Spain's David Ferrer 7-6 6-7 6-2 in a ferocious contest featuring thrilling rallies.

Fifth seed Ferrer, who has already qualified for Shanghai, matched his opponent's power and determination for two sets but then ran out of steam and Nalbandian wrapped it up with an ace to set-up a semi-final against Murray or Gasquet.
Source: http://in.reuters.com/article/worldO...30302620071102

Here is Chennai's result:

Tired Nadal routed by Youzhny in Chennai final
By N.Ananthanarayanan

CHENNAI, India (Reuters) - Exhausted world number two Rafael Nadal suffered a setback before this month's Australian Open after he was thrashed 6-0 6-1 by Mikhail Youzhny in the Chennai Open final on Sunday.

The Spaniard looked stiff from the start against fourth seed Youzhny, clearly showing the effect of his marathon four-hour semi-final win over compatriot Carlos Moya the previous day.

Nadal called for medical attention trailing 4-1 in the second set and then went through the motions as Youzhny completed his fourth career title win with ease, disappointing a large holiday crowd cheering the Spaniard.

"There was less than 24 hours for recovery," Nadal told reporters, allaying any injury concerns ahead of the year's first grand slam.

A gracious Youzhny said: "This victory is a present from Rafa to me. I didn't win today, Rafa just lost the match because he couldn't move well."

Youzhny, the world number 19, produced an array of superb forehand shots to race through the first set in just over 20 minutes as Nadal made many unforced errors.

Although the Spaniard took a vitamin tablet during the break between the sets, it appeared to have no effect as Youzhny against broke his rival in the fourth game before going 4-1 up.

The trainer stretched Nadal's right leg before the player returned to the court to complete the match, Youzhny serving out to secure victory in under one hour.

Source: http://www.reuters.com/article/sport...L8154420080106
Hahahahah! That's hilarious! But then again, you just know an idiot has written this when you read things like "[Youzhny] was outpowered by the muscular Spaniard". Nadal overpowered Youzhny? :retard: Oh man! I mean, one would hope that the person to whom they assign to write articles on tennis at least knows something about the sport.

Last edited by KaxMisha : 01-18-2008 at 02:02 AM. Reason: removed several grammatical errors (must have been drunk while typing this)
KaxMisha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 06:45 AM   #67
country flag Renaud

Renaud has a reputation beyond reputeRenaud has a reputation beyond reputeRenaud has a reputation beyond reputeRenaud has a reputation beyond reputeRenaud has a reputation beyond reputeRenaud has a reputation beyond reputeRenaud has a reputation beyond reputeRenaud has a reputation beyond reputeRenaud has a reputation beyond reputeRenaud has a reputation beyond reputeRenaud has a reputation beyond repute

Minar

‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
"Je peux simplement vous dire que Jean-René Lisnard aime beaucoup les Chocapics" Benjamin Balleret
Renaud is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 06:59 AM   #68
country flag VolandriFan

VolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond repute

Hewitt- Complaining about the surface he pushed for and approved.

Fognini|Mathieu|Falla|Bolelli|Muller|Verdasco
Monaco|Garcia-Lopez|Dancevic|Granollers|Massu|Schwank
Wolmarans|Xristos|Ferrer|Monfils|Alcaide|Starace
VolandriFan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 07:08 AM   #69
country flag scarecrows
Ace Loveforty

scarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond repute

Minar just made history

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerRafaFan View Post
That will be the last victory of Rafa for quite some time.. With his joke mentality and pathetic game, I hope the disgusting player loses every single match next season. He's disgraceful. He should just retire. He's a joke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_mac View Post
(10) Corey Feldman vs. (12) scarecrows
scarecrows is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 08:20 AM   #70
country flag Björki
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch

Björki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrows View Post
Minar just made history
second this.

Bryans || Djokovic || Paire || Chiudinelli || Nalbandian || Hanley || Rojer || Nadal
Söderling || Verdasco || Wawrinka || Simon || O. Rochus || Leo Mayer

Björkman || Arthurs || Edberg || Rafter || T.Johansson || M.Norman || Aspelin
Björki is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 08:31 AM   #71
country flag The Pro

The Pro has a reputation beyond reputeThe Pro has a reputation beyond reputeThe Pro has a reputation beyond reputeThe Pro has a reputation beyond reputeThe Pro has a reputation beyond reputeThe Pro has a reputation beyond reputeThe Pro has a reputation beyond reputeThe Pro has a reputation beyond reputeThe Pro has a reputation beyond reputeThe Pro has a reputation beyond reputeThe Pro has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaxMisha View Post
Hahahahah! That's hilarious! But then again, you just no an idiot has written this when you read things like "[Youzhny] was outpowered by the muscular Spaniard". Nadal overpowered Youzhny? :retard: Oh man! I mean, one would hope that the person to whom they assign to write articles on tennis at least know something about the sport.
Nadal overpowering Youznhy
The Pro is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 08:59 AM   #72
country flag leng jai

leng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond repute

Ljuba Truba.

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:14 AM   #73
country flag tennisgal_001

tennisgal_001 has a reputation beyond reputetennisgal_001 has a reputation beyond reputetennisgal_001 has a reputation beyond reputetennisgal_001 has a reputation beyond reputetennisgal_001 has a reputation beyond reputetennisgal_001 has a reputation beyond reputetennisgal_001 has a reputation beyond reputetennisgal_001 has a reputation beyond reputetennisgal_001 has a reputation beyond reputetennisgal_001 has a reputation beyond reputetennisgal_001 has a reputation beyond repute

Minar for losing to King Oscar on hard

(courtesy of Dimonator133)
tennisgal_001 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 10:21 AM   #74
country flag Jaap
Banned!

Jaap has a reputation beyond reputeJaap has a reputation beyond reputeJaap has a reputation beyond reputeJaap has a reputation beyond reputeJaap has a reputation beyond reputeJaap has a reputation beyond reputeJaap has a reputation beyond reputeJaap has a reputation beyond reputeJaap has a reputation beyond reputeJaap has a reputation beyond reputeJaap has a reputation beyond repute

Has to be Minar.
Jaap is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 10:41 AM   #75
country flag supertommyhaas

supertommyhaas has a reputation beyond reputesupertommyhaas has a reputation beyond reputesupertommyhaas has a reputation beyond reputesupertommyhaas has a reputation beyond reputesupertommyhaas has a reputation beyond reputesupertommyhaas has a reputation beyond reputesupertommyhaas has a reputation beyond reputesupertommyhaas has a reputation beyond reputesupertommyhaas has a reputation beyond reputesupertommyhaas has a reputation beyond reputesupertommyhaas has a reputation beyond repute

ivan ljubicic clown loosing to robin haase in the first round in ao, jees his an awful player
supertommyhaas is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote