Have a good flight home, Rafa! AO Thread. - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-11-2008, 03:32 PM   #31
country flag l_mac
I DON'T LIKE DJOKOVIC

l_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Open 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_mac View Post
Andy's fans are unflatteringly ecstatic that he's in Rafa's quarter
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayBuzza View Post
Now why would that be?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerine_dream View Post
Rematch, of course.

Hmm.

Last edited by l_mac : 01-11-2008 at 04:10 PM.
l_mac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2008, 03:57 PM   #32
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Hmm.
I get the "Red Cross of Eval" in stead of your picture, Linda?

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 04:11 PM   #33
country flag l_mac
I DON'T LIKE DJOKOVIC

l_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond repute

Now?
Old 01-11-2008, 04:38 PM   #34
country flag yana

yana has a reputation beyond reputeyana has a reputation beyond reputeyana has a reputation beyond reputeyana has a reputation beyond reputeyana has a reputation beyond reputeyana has a reputation beyond reputeyana has a reputation beyond reputeyana has a reputation beyond reputeyana has a reputation beyond reputeyana has a reputation beyond reputeyana has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Rafa-Andy QF pleeeeeeaaaase

Yeah, with the same result like their past encounters, hi, hi

Rafael Feli Bandy
yana is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 09:08 PM   #35
country flag Metis

Metis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Andy's fans are unflatteringly ecstatic that he's in Rafa's quarter
The lesser of two evils...

Quote:

Hmm.
Is that photo from the recent BBC interview? I saw that and thought that the interviewer was not in the least reluctant to touch on every subject with persistent questions, including the delaying tactics (he made Rafa promise to improve on that this year ), the 2006 doping allegations , crying after the Wimbledon final (when Rafa said "I cried a little bit", he said "but in fact it was quite a lot, 20-25min; you were desperately unhappy" ) etc. He also asked him about Starace and Bracciali's suspension for betting. Rafa said Starace was a very nice guy and he thought that he would never go on court to lose his match. I didn't know Rafa and Starace were friends.

It's a pity though that his English isn't good enough to provide eloquent answers. Can't he make some time to improve it a bit? He's been at the top of the game for almost 3 years now. It used to be cute when he was younger but I think it would benefit him to do something about it. Maybe reduce a bit the Playstation sessions and do some studying instead? He probably doesn't get much encouragement from Uncle Toni who apparently doesn't speak a word himself if I'm not mistaken.
Metis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 09:47 AM   #36
country flag Castafiore

Castafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond repute

I really think that he should consider doing these more extensive interviews in Spanish with subtitles. (no dubbing please, subtitles are much better)
Castafiore is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 10:48 AM   #37
country flag MariaV

MariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond repute

Well, the BBC interview touched every tough subject but IMO Rafa did pretty well. He could've said more about betting perhaps but ah well.
And you know as he said he is improving his tennis so there's not much time to improve his English. There has to be time for Playstation too, no?
And not everyone is as talented in languages as some people here. Rafa's much more talented in tennis.
Anyway, I think he handled it all pretty well. I LOVED the promise to speed up play.

Edit: And I learned that he'll meet Viktor Troicki in the 1st rd and he'll play on Monday night sesson as Fed the God asked for Tuesday of course. VAMOS!
I hope my Estonian girl won't make it long before Rafa one way or the other.

OOP:
Rod Laver Arena
7:30 PM Start
1 Women's Singles - 1st Rnd.
Kaia Kanepi (EST) v. Alicia Molik (AUS)
followed by
2 Men's Singles - 1st Rnd.
Viktor Troicki (SRB) v. Rafael Nadal (ESP)[2]

Last edited by MariaV : 01-12-2008 at 07:24 PM.
MariaV is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 01:38 PM   #38
country flag Castafiore

Castafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, I think that he managed that interview quite well.
He's improving (granted, slowly) his English and I don't think we should expect a tennis player to spend his free time to study a language while quite a few tennis players whose native language happens to be English don't have to bother about that.

I would still love to see him do a more elaborate interview on an English language main network in Spanish with subtitles just to give a broader public a chance to look beyond the Spanglish because some of his Spanish interviews are great to read and a lot of people miss out due to hearing nothing else but his Spanglish.
Castafiore is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 09:01 PM   #39
country flag NicoFan

NicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck to Rafa!!!

I like the idea of his doing interviews in Spanish with subtitles, but I really get a kick out of his English. It's quite cute.
NicoFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 10:44 PM   #40
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hmm.
Hmm what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yana View Post
Yeah, with the same result like their past encounters, hi, hi
Ho ho, I hope not. Their IW match was I'm expecting a more exciting encounter this time, if it should happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metis View Post
The lesser of two evils...
Oh, is that what she was insinuating? I didn't get it.

Quote:
Is that photo from the recent BBC interview? I saw that and thought that the interviewer was not in the least reluctant to touch on every subject with persistent questions, including the delaying tactics (he made Rafa promise to improve on that this year ), the 2006 doping allegations , crying after the Wimbledon final
Sometimes I really don't like the British press, they're so rude with their line of questioning.

Anyway, good luck to Rafa at AO. I hope his knees are strong and healthy.
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 07:13 PM   #41
country flag l_mac
I DON'T LIKE DJOKOVIC

Quote:
Hmm what?
I was just Hmming the "rematch" being the reason Andy fans are so delighted he's in Rafa's quarter. Just admit it - he's the easy option. Even easier than Davydenko.

Link to Rafa's AO blog http://www.elmundo.es/elmundodeporte...200158507.html

Pre tournament interview
Quote:
Rafael Nadal - January 12, 2008
Australian Open Pre Tournament Interview

Q. How you feeling physically ahead of the Australian Open?

RAFAEL NADAL: Perfect, no? Physical is no one problem, so I am very happy about that.

Q. Chennai seemed to be quite a demanding week for you with that long semifinal. Been no problems with that?

RAFAEL NADAL: No. Was only tired, no? Was terrible semifinal, no? Four hours match. Well, I only have less than 24 hours for recover. I go to sleep late because I finish the match late. Was tough to recover.

So Michael play good tennis and he beat me very easy.

Q. What do you think of the courts, the new courts?

RAFAEL NADAL: I don't see too much difference. My opinion. I don't know.

Q. You have a chance to take the No. 1 ranking. Is that a focus for you?

RAFAEL NADAL: I think is not a real chance; not yet.

Q. Do you feel like you're better prepared for Melbourne than you have been ever before in terms of having played here now over the last few years, gained a bit more experience?

RAFAEL NADAL: 2005 I played very well, no? I have big chance for go to quarterfinals. I lost against Hewitt. Last year probably was worst year. I play bad tennis.

This year I am arriving well, practicing well, and I had some matches in Chennai. So I hope will be fine for Monday.

Q. Are you feeling confident?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yes, I am. I say, no? I practice very well, very good the week before. In Chennai, I play some tough matches. It's important to win like semifinals. Is always important match for confidence.

Well, is first important tournament of the season. Well, always is new. Is not always new, but seems like new every year, no? Well, gonna be interesting. I gonna try my best, no? I think I am prepared.

Q. What is your expectation for this tournament?

RAFAEL NADAL: Play good. That's my expectation.

Q. Do you think Roger's illness, the fact he hasn't played any competitive matches, will be a benefit for the rest of the men's competition here?

RAFAEL NADAL: I will tell you in two weeks.

Q. It certainly doesn't hurt the competition, though, does it?

RAFAEL NADAL: Depends, no? Because if Roger play one match, two matches, that's enough for him, no? Normally maybe he don't have a lot of problems in the first rounds, so he can get the rhythm in these first two rounds. And later, that's fine.

Q. Last year I remember you played a very exciting match against Andy Murray, a five set match. You perhaps have seen that he won in Doha. Do you think he may have the sort of year that Djokovic had last year?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, we will see, no? I think is not good speak about that for him. For him, too, no?

Well, he start the season very well. My opinion, if he last year don't have the injury, maybe he gonna be in Shanghai for last year. He wasn't in Shanghai. Disappointing for him, he has important injury in Hamburg.

I think he gonna have his chances for have unbelievable year, no? But is early to speak about that, no? I think he has everything for be 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 of the world.

Q. What did you do in December?

RAFAEL NADAL: Practice, a lot. Too much (laughter).

Q. Training, too? Hitting balls? Playing sets?

RAFAEL NADAL: 8:30 to 9:30 physical performance. 9:30 to 1 tennis. 3 to 5 tennis. 6 to 7:15 physical, and after I sleep. I always go to sleep at 1:00 in the morning, something like this. I don't know, this year in December, at 10:30 I was in the sofa watching the TV only five minutes, later sleeping every time, every day.

Q. Did you get any chance over Christmas to have a little bit of time off, to just relax as a normal person?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I spend the Christmas with the family, dinner. Well, after the family dinner, I go out a little bit with the friends. Well, a little bit more than a little bit (smiling). The next day is day off, holiday.

Q. As far as the draw goes, are you happy with it? It looks like you could play Moya?

RAFAEL NADAL: Who is playing against Carlos Moya?

Q. That could potentially happen in the quarterfinals.

RAFAEL NADAL: I would love to be in fourth round against Moya, no? I am focused about first round now.

Always is the same. You always ask me the same and I always answer the same.

Q. Is there any aspect of your game that you've worked on in December that you feel like you needed to improve to take that next step?

RAFAEL NADAL: I think in one month is impossible to improve a lot. That's my opinion. But in one month you can work for continuing improve during the competition, no? You have to improve, not new things, well, for example, if you are going to volley more than before, well, you can volley very good in the practice, but for improve you have to do in the match, no? That's an example. I don't gonna be serve and volley right now (smiling).

Q. Is there anything that you can do in the December month to prepare for the conditions here, for the heat?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, in Mallorca the weather is not the same for sure in December, no? Was tough year in December. Some days terrible cold. But I practice a lot, no? I practice hard. So week before I was in Chennai. It's hot. Similar like this. A little bit more humid. That's good preparation. And I arrive here Tuesday night, so I have some days for adapt.

Q. Do you like it to be hot? Do you prefer if they keep the roof open when it's hot?

RAFAEL NADAL: Today is perfect. Two days ago, too much. 42 degrees is too much. I practiced.

Q. Is 40 degrees in Mallorca completely different?

RAFAEL NADAL: Mallorca, it's not 40 degrees.

Q. Not 40 ever?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I was in the players, not lounge, but when we were having lunch outside, because inside was no table two days ago, I think. Yeah, two days ago. In Mallorca, that's never happening, something like this. If you have cover, not in the sun, always a little bit fresh air anyway if is the summer.

But here, it's terrible.
VAMOS!
Old 01-13-2008, 07:31 PM   #42
country flag Metis

Metis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for posting the link to the blog and the interview

Quote:
Q. Training, too? Hitting balls? Playing sets?

RAFAEL NADAL: 8:30 to 9:30 physical performance. 9:30 to 1 tennis. 3 to 5 tennis. 6 to 7:15 physical, and after I sleep. I always go to sleep at 1:00 in the morning, something like this. I don't know, this year in December, at 10:30 I was in the sofa watching the TV only five minutes, later sleeping every time, every day.
Rafa is getting old
Metis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:06 AM   #43
country flag MariaV

MariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond repute

WTF was that losing his serve when serving for the 1st set? At least he got the TB. Better wrap it up fast now young man! VAMOS!
Old 01-14-2008, 12:38 PM   #44
country flag MariaV

Pheeeew!!!!! 7-6 (1) 7-5 6-1. *wiping sweat from my fohehead*
Gee! I hope it'll be easier vs Serra.
Btw the Russian commentators said there's rain and thunder in the forecast for Wednesday and more heat coming.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:48 PM   #45
country flag lotusvale80

lotusvale80 is on a distinguished road

surprisingly the opponent was a big server(i can even say no worse than federer), but he lacks of experiences (not too strong mentally).
lotusvale80 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote