Have a good flight home, Rafa! AO Thread. - Page 10 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-22-2008, 08:09 AM   #136
country flag Castafiore

Castafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nadal reaches first ever Hard Court Slam Semi Final!! Painfully.

Despite the fact that I actually like watching Nieminen (he's not a flashy player but he's crafty at times), Rafa's matches against Jarkko have always been sort of annoying to watch. On Eurosport, they wondered if this has something to do with it being a lefty vs a lefty.
They asked Rafa if it's harder for him to play a lefty because he's not used to it but Rafa said that playing as a lefty himself helps him because he knows how a lefthanded player tends to think. They asked him if he was surprised or excited to have reached his first SF on hardcourts. He said "neither" and he admitted that there's a bit of luck involved as well as hard work (not just in the tournament but also in the preparation)

But he's through to the SF. The rest is icing on that cake(walk), as they say.
Castafiore is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2008, 08:17 AM   #137
country flag MariaV

MariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castafiore View Post
Despite the fact that I actually like watching Nieminen (he's not a flashy player but he's crafty at times), Rafa's matches against Jarkko have always been sort of annoying to watch. On Eurosport, they wondered if this has something to do with it being a lefty vs a lefty.
They asked Rafa if it's harder for him to play a lefty because he's not used to it but Rafa said that playing as a lefty himself helps him because he knows how a lefthanded player tends to think. They asked him if he was surprised or excited to have reached his first SF on hardcourts. He said "neither" and he admitted that there's a bit of luck involved as well as hard work (not just in the tournament but also in the preparation)

But he's through to the SF. The rest is icing on that cake(walk), as they say.

Hilde! Yes I saw the ES interview. Rafa looked so cute.
I watched the match on Russian NTV + tennis pay TV channel though with a truly lovely commentator who liked the match very much actually (just like me ), his point was that it doesn't have to be a thriller score-wise to be remembered for a long time, it can also be nice game-wise which this match was. And I whole-heartedly agree with him, there were wonderful rallies and wonderful shots from both guys, Jarkko's fh on fire in the 1st set and Rafa's amazing jump smash and passing shots. The commentator said Rafa could be a volley ball player with jumping ability like that.
I don't bother listening to those ES hatas when I can.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:16 AM   #138
country flag cc2monac

cc2monac has a reputation beyond reputecc2monac has a reputation beyond reputecc2monac has a reputation beyond reputecc2monac has a reputation beyond reputecc2monac has a reputation beyond reputecc2monac has a reputation beyond reputecc2monac has a reputation beyond reputecc2monac has a reputation beyond reputecc2monac has a reputation beyond reputecc2monac has a reputation beyond reputecc2monac has a reputation beyond repute

congrats rafa for your first SF at the AO! I'm so happy for him! hope he can go even further! I can't beleive he still hasn't lost a set! I hope it will help some to understand that rafa is a great player no matter the surface!
vamos rafa!

sergei fedorov sasha cohen sheva rafa nadal

kimi raikkonen...F1 world champion 2007

I LOVE KEVIN SPACEY

My heart belongs to Romania
cc2monac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:18 AM   #139
country flag MariaV

MariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond repute

That's a funny headline, considering.

Quote:
Fresh Nadal looks to break duck
Tuesday, 22 January, 2008
By Adam Lucius

A fresh and injury-free Rafael Nadal believes he is in the best shape to win his first Grand Slam away from the claycourts of Roland Garros after reaching the Australian Open semi-finals.

The three-time French Open champion overcame a first-set blip - coming from 4-5 down - to ease past Finn Jarkko Nieminen 7-5 6-3 6-1 on Tuesday and book a semi-final berth against either Jo-Wilfried Tsonga or Mikhail Youzhny.

It’s already the Spaniard's best performance at Melbourne Park and has arrived without the usual energy-sapping five-set marathons, leading the powerfully-built left-hander to predict the best is yet to come.

"It's better than usual (because) I always play a lot of time on court," Nadal said.

"This year, not one match more than two and a half hours, so it's very good for me. That's a very good thing about my game."

"I'm happy because I am here without losing a set. That's always an important point."

Nadal made the Australian Open quarter-finals last year and reached the last eight at the 2006 US Open.

But that's where his hardcourt roll of honour started and ended - until Tuesday's victory over Nieminen.

"It's a good moment for me - being my first semi-finals on hardcourt at a Grand Slam," he said. "I'm happy because it's important to cross the quarter-finals."

"I try my best (to reach) the final. If I'm in the final on Sunday it's going to be a dream for me, to start the season like this."

"I'm very happy about my start here. It's better than I thought."

Nieminen, who was beaten but not disgraced in a heartening centre court performance, is backing Nadal to go all the way.

"I think he's playing great. I had some weapons to win almost any point and any game, but in the long run, he's so good," the Finn said.

"He gets so many balls back and when he can go around with his forehand, then it's always trouble."

"To beat him best of five, it's very tough. I think he's playing very good at the moment."
http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/...994456078.html
Old 01-22-2008, 02:47 PM   #140
country flag tennizen

tennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond repute

Well looks like Nadal finally got over the quarterfinal hump. Well I suppose the AO ends for him here. I was very sure Youzhny would beat Tsonga but what happened!! Well Tsonga will have his revenge for the USO. As far as I can remember he wasn't too pleased with his loss then.
This is detachment -- 
when the old is over and the new has not yet come. 
If you are afraid, the state may be distressing, 
but there is really nothing to be afraid of. 
Remember the instruction: 
Whatever you come across -- go beyond.”
tennizen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 03:23 PM   #141
country flag cmurray

cmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why are you serving so badly, stupid boy??

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_mac View Post
@ the attempted jump smash, 3rd game 3rd set.
I had to laugh too. Good LORD. He was all off balance. Looked a little like a really drunk Spiderman.
cmurray is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 04:01 PM   #142
country flag l_mac
I DON'T LIKE DJOKOVIC

l_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond repute

Presser

Quote:
Q. Is that the sort of match you needed at this stage of the tournament?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, maybe I wasn't play my best match, my best tennis today, but it was enough. I'm happy about the victory. I didn't play bad.

I played very good with my forehand, I think. I touched the ball when I have time, touched the ball perfect every time. Well, the rest, little bit worse than the last match, the serve and the backhand.

That's Points to improve on this match if I want chances for win.

Q. Do you believe overall you are playing your best hardcourt tennis?

RAFAEL NADAL: I don't think, no? I am playing well. I'm playing good tennis, good level, but last year I played very good level in many tournaments. In Indian Wells I played very well, I think. Similar, little bit better than here.

I don't know, some more tournaments. But last year I played very nice tournaments on hardcourt, no? Anyway, it a good moment for me. Be the first semifinals on hardcourt, Grand Slam, and so it's very important for me. I'm happy to because I am here without losing a set. That's always an important point.

Q. Does this surface suit your game more?

RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know. No, I think when I am playing fine, when I am playing well, I can play well in all surfaces, no? It's not new play good in hardcourt. I had some quarterfinals, but didn't have semifinals yet in Grand Slam. I say before, I play very good tournaments.

So happy, because always is important cross the quarterfinals. I play it in here and in United States, US Open. So closest, this round, is very important for me.

I right now try my best for being in this final, no? If I'm in the final on Sunday, going to be a dream for me here, no, start the season like this. I'm very happy about my start here, playing the final in Chennai and being in the semifinals here. It's better than I thought.

Q. You saved nine set points in the first set since the beginning of the tournament. How important is it to win the first set to enter in the match?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, for sure it's very important, save set points in the first set, especially because if you save set points, go a little bit more down later, no? But I think I'm playing well in important moments, I'm playing fine.

Serving with good position in this moments. And I'm happy because I save some important moments this week.

Q. What can you say about Jarkko as a tennis player and a person?

RAFAEL NADAL: Very, very nice guy. Very good person, I'm sure. He never has any problem with nobody, so I have very good relation with him. I think he's perfect person and he's very good player, very complete player, only a little bit second serve.

But for the rest, he has all the shots, no? He can do backhand, very good backhand, good forehand, very fast on court. So he can do very well. For the last years, he's in the very good position in the ranking.

Q. How does your body feel compared to last year at the US Open and hardcourts?

RAFAEL NADAL: My body is perfect, no? (laughter) Physically speaking. Nothing perfect.

Q. At the US Open last year you were struggling a bit at the end. Is it much better now?

RAFAEL NADAL: Sure, no? Last year I played ‑‑ second of the tour who played more matches, and they only had the problem at the US Open. So it was a very, very good year for me, physically speaking. And this year I start very well, no? I don't have any problems at US Open and I'm in semifinals without losing a set.

Always help a little bit because would be more fresh in the slams, no? But physically I'm very happy, no? I don't have any problem.

Q. Will you watch the other quarterfinal tonight?

RAFAEL NADAL: Sure. I'm going to watch a little bit in the hotel. Relax. Go little bit to the swimming pool. Rest.

Q. Do you have to tell yourself on court to play aggressively on hardcourts, or is it coming more naturally to you now?

RAFAEL NADAL: I have to continue to play more aggressive, no? I ‑‑ I need start good the matches, like the match before against Mathieu, no? More aggressive, trying to go inside the court and trying to do the point with the forehand.

Because I am touching perfect the forehand. So sometimes I play like this with my forehand, so it's easy to understand I'm a little bit more behind. But right now I have to go inside because I am touching very good the ball with the forehand, and I have to do for this in the semifinals if I want to win. ( Didn't understand a word of this)

And for sure everybody tell me you have to play more aggressive in hardcourt. You have to serve better. I am trying. I am working very hard always. This is what I do in practice. When I say a lot, it's a lot.

Well, with my uncle ‑‑ well, sure, my uncle always repeat me the same: Go inside. Don't lose court. Don't go behind the line. I'm working very hard on this. (Can't say I'd notcied)

Q. So you think this would be a good season, or this season, for you to win an Open rather than Roland Garros in one of the other surface? If this season, 2008 will be the season where we see Rafael Nadal to win an Open than the Roland Garros one?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I am semifinals right now, no? I don't want to think about that, because winning Grand Slam is very difficult. In grass, in clay, everything difficult in Grand Slam. This year I gonna try my best, but the same like every year. Not like this year is the year.

Last year I try my best. This year I gonna try my best another time. If it's better. This year I start better than last year. If not this year, next year, next year, next year. I gonna try my best all the career for try to win Grand Slam outside of clay.

Q. A lot of your opponents are stepping into the court taking time away from you. Tsonga and Youzhny both have that game plan, as well. How are you going to try to overcome that?

RAFAEL NADAL: Can you repeat?

Q. Simon and even, say, Nieminen was stepping into the court, sort of taking time away from you. Tsonga and Youzhny can sort of play that similar sort of game. How are you going to overcome that? What are your thoughts?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, everybody can do it, because every player tries to go inside the court, try to play aggressive against me. (Cheaters!) Because the people knows if we play long point from the baseline, I have bit more chances. But the people try to go inside the court.

Youzhny is a difficult player for me to play against him. I lost some times against him. The final of Chennai doesn't count. It's not in my mind, this one, because I can't play, no?

But the last times, yes. He beat me in Dubai last year, in the US Open 2006. And I beat him, yeah, sometimes too. In Wimbledon, in Bercy at the end of the season.

So always it's a very tough match against him. He play very aggressive, he go inside the court and he's playing very well, no?

And Tsonga the same: Big serve, very aggressive player. Everybody can do it, no? The thing is try to play like this. I have to play aggressive if I want to win the semifinals, aggressive and good.

Q. This might be the first time that you've reached a semifinal at a Grand Slam, and you haven't played so many hours on court. Can you talk about that and whether that's a very good thing for you?

RAFAEL NADAL: Not about experience. It's better than usually. I always play a lot of time on court. This year, no one match more than two hours and a half, I think. So it's very good for me. That's a very good thing about my game, no?

Sure, I have little bit luck against Mathieu, but the rest of the matches is a good move. Play not more than two hours and a half. <------ a little bit of luck? Hoe JMP doesn't see this
RAFAEL NADAL: My body is perfect, no? (laughter) Physically speaking. Nothing perfect.

Oh, Rafa
l_mac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 04:38 PM   #143
country flag cmurray

cmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Presser

Oh, Rafa
I hope he never perfects his English. I would SO miss these little gems.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:17 PM   #144
country flag yana

yana has a reputation beyond reputeyana has a reputation beyond reputeyana has a reputation beyond reputeyana has a reputation beyond reputeyana has a reputation beyond reputeyana has a reputation beyond reputeyana has a reputation beyond reputeyana has a reputation beyond reputeyana has a reputation beyond reputeyana has a reputation beyond reputeyana has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Presser

Oh, Rafa
Now that's a good presser

Rafael Feli Bandy
yana is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 07:24 PM   #145
country flag NevaNadal

NevaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeNevaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeNevaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeNevaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeNevaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeNevaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeNevaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeNevaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeNevaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeNevaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeNevaNadal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennizen View Post
Well looks like Nadal finally got over the quarterfinal hump. Well I suppose the AO ends for him here. I was very sure Youzhny would beat Tsonga but what happened!! Well Tsonga will have his revenge for the USO. As far as I can remember he wasn't too pleased with his loss then.
Wow...way to keep positive

Thank God the semi is shown overnight here so at least I'll get my disapointment over with early in the day
NevaNadal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 08:22 PM   #146
country flag NaDALiTa

NaDALiTa has a reputation beyond reputeNaDALiTa has a reputation beyond reputeNaDALiTa has a reputation beyond reputeNaDALiTa has a reputation beyond reputeNaDALiTa has a reputation beyond reputeNaDALiTa has a reputation beyond reputeNaDALiTa has a reputation beyond reputeNaDALiTa has a reputation beyond reputeNaDALiTa has a reputation beyond reputeNaDALiTa has a reputation beyond reputeNaDALiTa has a reputation beyond repute

I'm soooo happy he went through the 1/4,now serious things begin Tsonga has a lot of confidence,but Rafa is the favorite so he has no pressure for this match...i'm really positive!! VaMos!! The French media are doing their work ...puting pressure on their champion!Everybody's talking about Jo on the Tv,Newspaper,Radio etc...

"It doesn't matter if you don't look as cool as the Ramones — you're never going to, anyway."Chris Martin.

+The White Stripes+The Strokes+The Libertines+

+MARAT SAFIN+rameez junaid+andy murray +vince spadea +diego hartfield +pti pote gustavo+willy cañas +Simone Bolelli+Jérémy ChardyOTHER ADDICTIONS:Liverpool F.C+Atletico Madrid+Arsenal F.C+Olympique Lyonnais+La Roja+
NaDALiTa is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 08:37 PM   #147
country flag tennizen

tennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond reputetennizen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevaNadal View Post
Wow...way to keep positive

Thank God the semi is shown overnight here so at least I'll get my disapointment over with early in the day
Every unexpected win of Nadal's is a blessing for me. So my expectations start with him losing in the first round
This is detachment -- 
when the old is over and the new has not yet come. 
If you are afraid, the state may be distressing, 
but there is really nothing to be afraid of. 
Remember the instruction: 
Whatever you come across -- go beyond.”
tennizen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 08:53 PM   #148
country flag cmurray

It's been a great tournament, Rafa. See you in Dubai.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:30 PM   #149
country flag l_mac
I DON'T LIKE DJOKOVIC

l_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond repute

Little video of Rafa's press conference today

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/ver/251...php?cl=6040190
l_mac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:41 PM   #150
country flag hra87

hra87 has a reputation beyond reputehra87 has a reputation beyond reputehra87 has a reputation beyond reputehra87 has a reputation beyond reputehra87 has a reputation beyond reputehra87 has a reputation beyond reputehra87 has a reputation beyond reputehra87 has a reputation beyond reputehra87 has a reputation beyond reputehra87 has a reputation beyond reputehra87 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurray View Post
It's been a great tournament, Rafa. See you in Dubai.
Rotterdam...