Senor Tony Nadal :)) - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-08-2007, 02:54 PM   #1
country flag Dream

Dream has a reputation beyond reputeDream has a reputation beyond reputeDream has a reputation beyond reputeDream has a reputation beyond reputeDream has a reputation beyond reputeDream has a reputation beyond reputeDream has a reputation beyond reputeDream has a reputation beyond reputeDream has a reputation beyond reputeDream has a reputation beyond reputeDream has a reputation beyond repute
Default Senor Tony Nadal :))

Hey guys! i'm kinda new in this thread...

Just thought Tony deserves his own thread, doesn't he?
Let's gather all the info and pics abt him here.

Do u happen to know what kinda person he is? Anyone had a chance to talk to him or sth? Is he nice?
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2007, 05:11 PM   #2
country flag Tess Gray

Tess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Senor Tony Nadal :))

I honestly don't know a lot about Toni... I read somewhere that the only words he knows in English are 'welcome' and 'thankyou'

hehe.. I don't hope that's true.. that would be a little weird he?
Tess Gray is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 09:38 AM   #3
country flag mallorn

mallorn has a reputation beyond reputemallorn has a reputation beyond reputemallorn has a reputation beyond reputemallorn has a reputation beyond reputemallorn has a reputation beyond reputemallorn has a reputation beyond reputemallorn has a reputation beyond reputemallorn has a reputation beyond reputemallorn has a reputation beyond reputemallorn has a reputation beyond reputemallorn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream View Post
Do u happen to know what kinda person he is? Anyone had a chance to talk to him or sth? Is he nice?
Going by the interviews that I had the opportunity to read, he's a no-nonsense kind of person and very strict with Rafa, while being very supportive at the same time. He believes in hard work and he's clearly instilled the same work ethic in Rafa. The commentators keep calling him "a class act" and he is frequently seen applauding Rafa's opponents' good shots.

I'll try to find some of the interviews later, and in the meantime here's a link to Toni's Corner on rn.com - he briefly comments on Rafa's matches during this AO.

http://www.rafaelnadal.com/english/e...t_toni_ao.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by TessJuh View Post
I honestly don't know a lot about Toni... I read somewhere that the only words he knows in English are 'welcome' and 'thankyou'

hehe.. I don't hope that's true.. that would be a little weird he?
Well, his English is worse than Rafa's but I'm sure I heard him say a few sentences. He's very outspoken in Spanish.

- 81 - 28 - 4 -
mallorn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 02:31 PM   #4
country flag NaDALiTa

NaDALiTa has a reputation beyond reputeNaDALiTa has a reputation beyond reputeNaDALiTa has a reputation beyond reputeNaDALiTa has a reputation beyond reputeNaDALiTa has a reputation beyond reputeNaDALiTa has a reputation beyond reputeNaDALiTa has a reputation beyond reputeNaDALiTa has a reputation beyond reputeNaDALiTa has a reputation beyond reputeNaDALiTa has a reputation beyond reputeNaDALiTa has a reputation beyond repute

If Tony isn't fluent in english, it may be because he learnt french,and let me tell you he speaks a very good french
He has been interviewed a lot by french Tv during Roland Garros, and he even gave interviews while Rafa was playing.As said before, he believes that good results come from hard labour,he is like Rafa's father that's why they are so close!He didn't hesitate to sacrifice a training session in order to speak with Rafa, because he felt he was confused! A GREAT MAN that's what he is!!! And of course he is one the most fairplay coach on tour(whatever said federer last year )

in other words TIO TONI TE QUEREMOS !!! :heart: and he deserved totally a worship thread !

"It doesn't matter if you don't look as cool as the Ramones — you're never going to, anyway."Chris Martin.

+The White Stripes+The Strokes+The Libertines+

+MARAT SAFIN+rameez junaid+andy murray +vince spadea +diego hartfield +pti pote gustavo+willy cañas +Simone Bolelli+Jérémy ChardyOTHER ADDICTIONS:Liverpool F.C+Atletico Madrid+Arsenal F.C+Olympique Lyonnais+La Roja+
NaDALiTa is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 04:17 PM   #5
country flag MariaV

MariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond repute

Mats Wilander was very impressed today again by Toni applauding Wawa's good shots and called the Nadals "a class act" again. Admitting Fed & his team were a class act too.

Yes, a thread for Tio Toni is really deserved.
MariaV is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 05:08 PM   #6
country flag mallorn

mallorn has a reputation beyond reputemallorn has a reputation beyond reputemallorn has a reputation beyond reputemallorn has a reputation beyond reputemallorn has a reputation beyond reputemallorn has a reputation beyond reputemallorn has a reputation beyond reputemallorn has a reputation beyond reputemallorn has a reputation beyond reputemallorn has a reputation beyond reputemallorn has a reputation beyond repute

OK, so here are some Toni quotes and articles. The first article was translated by Moondancer and the others by Nou.amic of vb.com.

Never give up on a point, his uncle, Toni Nadal, the only coach he has ever had, stressed during their first lesson. Not even in practice.

Hitting a ball over a net does not make you a prodigy. You're a prodigy if you obtain happiness.

I have always told him that being number one is not his problem, it's the other players' problem. He listens to me, and so only has to worry about playing, as well as possible, and winning. All the rest will come in time, at the moment, he still trains better than he plays.

Quote:
Confidential conversation with an uncle

The best way to take the measure of a young 20-year old is to approach those close to him. We are still in the process of getting to know Rafael Nadal even if he has already won Roland Garros twice. On the court, he sometimes comes across as aggressive, doesn’t he? His fist held up, his black hair in the wind, his inflated muscles. But ask yourself this question: have you ever seen him throw a racquet or insult an umpire? You will probably give a negative reply.

Why?

“Because he has been raised that way”, declares Toni Nadal, his uncle who is also his trainer. I didn’t know Toni very well until a recent conversation which gave me a clear picture. He told me that Rafael held his first racquet in his hands at the age of three years and he hit the ball in a very natural way right away. That happened a few years after Toni decided to take lessons in Barcelona to become a coach when he realised that he would never become a top player.

Very quickly, he understood that he was going to have take care of his nephew with the full approval of the rest of the clan in Manacor, a Balearic town. Head of the clan is the grandfather of the Roland Garros champion with the same first name Rafael, aged 80 and for whom respect for the law is very important. Toni is one of four sons of the other Rafa. Another one is Miguel Angel who played in three world cups in the Spanish jersey. It’s in this hot sports mixture that Rafael has learned to play the game on the court and off it.

Has he encountered a few problems on the way to glory?

“Only recently”, Toni admits to me. “Now that he’s famous, it’s difficult with the press. Journalists exaggerate certain things and it’s a delicate operation for such a young man to keep a good sense of proportion of what is accurate and what is not.”

Sitting on the other side of the table during our conversation, the world number two keeps his eyes zoomed in on his mobile phone and he tries to give the impression that he’s not listening to us. But he certainly heard what his uncle told me later on:

“The other day, Rafael told me that a respectable person will always greet you. At home, I have a lady who works in my house and of course, I greet her everyday. That’s the normal way to behave but that doesn’t necessarily make a good person out of you. Behaving badly, on the other hand, is what makes you a “bad person”. That’s the reason why you will never see Rafa throw his racquet. He has never done so and he never will. Very early on, I told him that this would be a sign of disrespect to all those who cherish their racquet because it's the only one they've got.”

Even if he has the tendency to take a bit too much time from time to time when he has to serve, Rafa has shown that he’s a fast learner.

By Richard Evans.

- 81 - 28 - 4 -
Old 01-20-2007, 05:10 PM   #7
country flag mallorn

Another one:
Quote:
'It's a miracle where Rafa is'

Toni Nadal praises his nephew for playing with constant discomfort in his foot

SEBASTIÀ ADROVER. PALMA.

"It's a miracle Rafel is where he is with the problem he has in his foot." That is how frank the uncle and trainer of the world No.2, Toni Nadal, was about the physical problems his pupil has to overcome to be at the top. "He always has to be careful because he wears insoles that destabilize his whole body when he puts his foot down and cause him not to have the foot placement he should," he added.

Nadal made these declarations during a press conference before the conference entitled 'Formation and Sport' he gave at the Chamber of Commerce. He was accompanied by the Baleares Government director general of Sports and the president of the host organization, Juan Gual de Torrella.

The trainer stated that although he is the holder of two Roland Garros trophies and the Davis Cup among other titles, Rafael's game can improve even more: "It's clear that he has room for improvement for, if not, I wouldn't have the motivation to train him nor he to play. His serve, his backhand, drive and volley can always improve, the difficult thing is to actually do it."

Toni made special mention of one of the major characteristics that have taken his nephew to the very top: "His mental capacity to overcome the adversities that have presented themselves over the years." He added: "His game is marked by the type of surface he has played on - clay - and by his early debute on the ATP tour. That has conditioned him a little."

'Número uno'

With respect to his assault on the number one spot, Nadal was frank: "If I were Federer, I wouldn't be worried because, to tell the truth, I still don't understand how Rafel has beaten him so many times," he exclaimed. "He is the best sportsman in the world, and I'm not just talking about tennis here, because neither Ronaldhino nor Tiger Woods achieves what he does.

The Manacorian admitted that the only formula for overtaking the Swiss in the ranking is: "He has to drop the level of his game and results and Rafel raise his so that we have them on equal terms." "But I tell you, I'd certainly settle right now for him being ATP No.2 again next year," he added.

About whether the 20-year-old player was put under too much pressure to tumble Federer, he stated: "It doesn't do him any harm at all because he is the most interested in being number one in the world. Rafel plays for that, knowing that there are others there to support him. But, if you have the bad luck to have a monster like the Swiss there, you just have to bide your time." Toni is satisfied with the way Rafael played in the Davis Cup play off against Italy, where he won two singles matches and the doubles. "It has helped us gain confidence for the next tournamets," he said. Nadal's short time objectives are clear: "The Madrid Masters, Shanghai and the Australian Open in January."

Teaching to be a champion on and of court

The fifty people who were at the Chamber of Commerce were able to hear the guide lines for the formation of his nephew/pupil that Toni Nadal revealed: "There have to be short and long term objectives set and a great effort made to learn in the widest sense, not just as regards to sport." According to his trainer, Rafael's career has had three stages: "The first, that of an enormous enthusiasm for playing tennis; the second, the hardest, the formation and training; and the last, the current one of being a professional tennis player."

- 81 - 28 - 4 -
Old 01-20-2007, 05:11 PM   #8
country flag mallorn

And the last two:

Quote:
HIS PUPIL'S SECRETS REVEALED

Toni Nadal: "The keys to Rafa's success are humility, effort and enthusiasm"

Antoni Nadal, Rafael Nadal's personal trainer and uncle, points to "humility, effort and enthusiasm" as being the keys to the success of the present number two in the world, but says that what is outstanding about him is his great worth as a human being.

"The formation of a sportsperson as a human being is very important, because you are better if you are well brought up and educated. People have come to value the fact that Rafa puts so much enthusiasm into his game and that he is an appreciative courteous person. That is the success that is most important, the rest is fleeting," explained Nadal at the Barcelona Real Club de Tenis.

The reigning Roland Garros champion's trainer, under the attentive gaze of the Honorary President of the Olympic Committee, Juan Antonio Samaranch, analyzed the human angle of his work on which "the good success management" which his nephew seems to enjoy is based. "I tried to carry out his formation as a tennis player together with that of him as a human being, because it is easier to assimilate success if you are well formed as a person," stated Nadal, who declared that "on seeing that Rafa was already a good player as a child" he did not want to risk discovering in him "the dreadful attitudes that you see in some sports stars".

The pillars on which a star is educated

Antoni Nadal affirmed that one of the pillars of this education is to have "clear objectives". "Rafa has always known what he wants to achieve and he has set himself objectives in harmony with his effort, which is essential so as not to leave everything to chance. He has always had this quite clear and he is a real professional who has buckled down to hard work since he was very young," he asserted.

"It is important to demand a lot of oneself. Things do not depend on others: one has to make the maximum effort oneself and profit from everything one does," declared Rafa Nadal's uncle, who first saw his nephew play tennis when he was three and then start doing so on a regular basis at the age of four, when his "great talent" became obvious.

"Like most unaffected people, Rafa has had the right environment to grow up in. In the family we didn't make a big deal of his success because he was just a child who played at hitting a ball over a net," explained Antoni Nadal, who affirmed that he had always behaved "very simply".

A professional from the age of eight

According to Antoni Nadal, his nephew has worked "like a professional" from the age of eight, although he did not give up his studies to devote himself exclusively to tennis until he was sixteen, and his only 'misfortune', "together with the fame, which overpampers whoever enjoys it", has perhaps been the incompatibility between going far in the sport and really fully enjoying himself playing.
Quote:
"I prefer correct behaviour to success"

At the UIB, Toni Nadal, Rafael's uncle and trainer, asserts that the secret for success lies "in happiness"

By HÉCTOR MARTÍN
Translated for VamosBrigade.com by nou.amic

PALMA.- Dressed for the occasion and with that hoarse voice so characteristic of him, Toni Nadal appeared punctually in the UIB (University of the Balearic Islands) Gasper Melchor building conference room. Rafael Nadal's uncle and trainer let the "jewel" rest in Manacor yesterday while he enjoyed an agreeable roundtable discussion together with the psychiatrist Miquel Roca and the psychologist Alexandre García, on the occasion of the 10th anniversary of the 'Fundació Universitat-Empresa de les Balears'. The main theme was the management of success, a subject that the Nadals have shown they have learnt well. "In my opinion, the secret is being happy" were the first of the words of wisdom that were heard during the next 90 minutes, in answer to 37 questions.

Toni permitted himself the luxury of joking about his nephew's body - "the muscles you see on television are magnified; they aren't half as big as that" - , of highlighting personalities like Romario - "he is really gifted because he never had to make an effort to stand out" - and criticising the ex-footballer Valery Karpin - "I don't like the way success rather than correct behaviour is valued. I see him on 'El Rondo' on TVE and it seems incredible to me that he should appear on our screens when he was such a disgrace; society is to blame because what should be emphasised is that Ronaldhino is a phenomenon both on and off the field".

Toni always enjoys talking about football. He reminded people that his sympathies lie with Barcelona and commented that he could not believe it when he read that Mallorca needed a psychologist. "I cannot conceive that a psychologist is needed just because they ball doesn't end up in the back of the net. You have to know how to accept a defeat. After Wimbledon, Rafael had a slump and his problem was a mental one, but he had to sort it out by himself."

"80% of the mental work is done by the trainers,"
Alexandre Garcia, of totally the opposite opinion, said in reply. But Toni was insistent: "Gaudio, for example, now uses a psychologist because he has a serious problem, but the impression I get is that people are far too weak."

When he looks back, he feels nostalgia. He has quaint anecdotes to tell of his five hours a day spent with the champion, something other 'top' players will never experience. "I always wanted him to look good, to express himself. I knew what kind of player I wanted to see: a player who was involved, who had feelings. It's positive to express everything, except anger because that gives your opponent strength and you're mistaken in your self appraisal because it is quite normal to do something wrong. Everyone can't be Federer," he pointed out.

He recalled Rafael becoming Spanish champion at the age of twelve. So that the boy would not become too full of himself, Toni called the Spanish Federation, pretending he was a journalist, and asked for the names of the last 25 junior champions. Corretja was among them, but few other 'names'. The child took good note.

The parties top sportsmen attend are much talked about. "I can't always be on top of him to see that he doesn't go out." "Three years ago, at Paris-Bercy, he appeared on court with chocolate croissants. Carlos Costa - his agent - just looked at me. I told him: 'Don't worry, one look from me and Rafa will understand exactly what he should do. He'll only eat them once' ... ". What he does disapprove of in players nowadays, his nephew included, is the little inclination they have to see more of the world: "They are not interested, they prefer to stay in their room with the PlayStation."

"I don't manage Rafael's success, either," he commented to a well filled auditorium, with his brother Miquel Àngel, whom he did not fail to mention during his discourse, among those present along with the journalists Manel Serras (El Pais) and Jaume Pujol Galcerán (El Periódico), who had come specially from Barcelona. "Rafael has been able to deal with his success thanks to the good basis that was instilled in him and thanks to having a top flight sportsman in the family. People like Maradona have not been able to deal with success because they do not have this good basis."

The differences between the top two

The double Roland Garros champion's uncle pointed out that there is a long way to go till his tennis reaches the highest level. Because of that, Toni wanted to make quite clear the differences that there are at first sight between the Manacorian and the Swiss. He was in his element: "Federer is perfection, while Rafa delivers by other means; one is cold and the other passionate; one is favoured by young people and the other by older people; in short, Rafael needs more work. Toni admits that the Swiss is the best in history, but he does not like "seeing a white-collar worker on court".

- 81 - 28 - 4 -
Old 01-20-2007, 06:23 PM   #9
country flag NicoFan

NicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond repute

I love Tio Toni!

I really believe that he's one of the big reasons for Rafa's success. Losing is not an option.
NicoFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 06:31 PM   #10
country flag cmurray

cmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallorn View Post
And the last two:
Wow...that last article is fascinating. I couldn't agree more with Toni about Federer and Rafa. I love that he sees things so clearly. Rafa is fortunate to have someone such as this in his corner.
cmurray is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 07:53 PM   #11
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

tio Toni really is the man
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 08:03 PM   #12
country flag NicoFan

NicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond repute

He is the man, and Rafa is lucky to have him.

So happy that Rafa has people around him who love him and take good care of him too. I worry about the pressure on him sometimes.
NicoFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 07:13 PM   #13
country flag Tess Gray

Tess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond repute

I Kinda like this interview. It's pretty long but I think think it's worth to read. Some things I don't quite understand in this interview though Like when Toni says:At least he didn't bring home a itygirl (Why would he say that??) and he calls his nephew Nadal every now and then.. Or is that just the writer who changed it?
Well anyway.. This is the article

Quote:
Uncle Toni Tells Nadal's Story: He's a Good Kid

Uncle Toni looked left and right, pointed at the 2 sofas at the non-public area before rushing over: "Let's go over there." Following blindly behind him was Nadal whom had just finished signing autographs for female fans, the hotel's security personnel immediately rushed up to stop him; to inform him that the lift is at the other end. Uncle Toni turned back and looked lovingly at his nephew: "This boy is like that, where Toni goes, he will follow."

It's A Pity, He's Attached

You need to pay more attention to hear Uncle Toni talking about Nadal. This old chap's English is as bad as his nephew's. The Spaniards have this habit or maybe it's like that all along, like to end their sentences with a "No?". He was presently surprised after meeting a group of fans in the lobby; it was only until he came to Shanghai that he finally believes that his nephew has already became an idol.

"It's a pity, he's attached." He made a face and smiled wickedly at the thought of young female fans' reactions, "He always said he's single, to the media, also kept me in the dark. However, there's nothing I wouldn't know about this kid, he always thought this is a well-kept secret, actually his girlfriend's waiting for him back in Mallorca." Uncle Toni calls Nadal by his full name; "Rafael", "Rafael's a honest boy since young, his friends around him are always those few familiar faces. He's not the type who will treat himself as a celebrity after being famous; he still behaves the same as he was before he won the French Open. He has never changed, even his handphone's number is still the same. Of course, he's still dating the same girl. His girlfriend's a fellow Mallorcan, I guessed they met long ago." He laughed heartily and made a face, "I can't control him in this, anyway, at least he didn't bring home a city girl. But I guess a lot of girls will be terribly upset after knowing
the truth."

He's Not A Spendthrift

Nadal has earned quite a lot after turning famous, he has already launched his own perfume, there's even rumors from Spain that this teenage celebrity's planning to buy a small island. Uncle Toni snorted contemptuously at the latter: "My nephew is not a spendthrift, only spendthrifts will do this type of silly things."

Then where did Nadal spent his money on? This fatherly uncle winked: "You know, Rafael's father is wealthy all along, he's living with his parents in a big house which is free from mortgage. Besides, he has been well brought up since young; they have educated him to spend his money wisely. So, Rafael has never splurged on expensive branded things, he's a good kid."

Sometimes, he would invite a few friends to have a few drinks at pubs. Disco? "No, Rafael dislikes noisy places." He's a movie buff, even his poor English won't hinder his love for Hollywood movies. He also watches Spanish movies, "He has watched a few of Pedro Almodovar's movies and claimed he likes it very much. However, I'm a bit worried because his movies are pretty dark. Youngsters should be happy and lively."

Clears His Mind by Fishing

Mallorca's a quiet and peaceful small island, life there is very different from Madrid. Nadal whom was born and bred in Mallorca, has inherited the locals' philosophy of having a peaceful and normal life. "Everyone knows him but nobody treats him like a celebrity. Unlike in Madrid, where Rafael can't even go out on the streets, once they see him, everybody will start cheering and shouting his name." Toni said, "But it's different in Mallorca, he's just a normal boy. He knows everyone on the island, too familiar. When he's not training, he will go fishing or golfing alone."

Nadal is actually a shy and introvert person. He likes to row himself to the river near his home and fish. "Over there, there's a breed of very tiny fishes. Rafael always catches that particular breed and brings home a pail full of it." His nephew doesn't have the habit of sharing his troubles, Toni said, sometimes he would go fishing to clear his mind.

"Think about it, a year of traveling is nothing to an old man like me, but to Nadal, it's a bit cruel, he's still young. Sometimes I can feel that he's moody, even though he doesn't complain openly. Today in New York, tomorrow in Paris, it's a short stay everywhere, with no friends by your side, it's very tough on him. But he loves tennis and this is what he has to go through."

For most of the year, Nadal and Uncle Toni have only each other to rely on. He's the only shoulder this teenager can lean on. Even though Nadal always lets his uncle do all the decision-making, there are times when he has his stubborn streak. "Once he set his mind on anything, he will never turn back. Sometimes we would get into arguments but what can I do to this kid? I can't beat him up, no, no, I'm not that type of person."

"Uncle, This Is From Raul"

Nadal's actually a fanatic too. His favourite footballers are Zidane and Raul from Real Madrid. "You know, when Raul gave him a football jersey last time, he was emotional for a long time after returning home. He said enthusiastically, "Uncle, uncle, can you believe it? This is from Raul."" Before leaving for Shanghai, Raul personally came to send Nadal off again. After hearing that Raul will be sending him off, Nadal couldn't sleep for the whole night.

Raul to Nadal is like an older brother he looks up to, even though he is now Spain's national hero, there wasn't any change in his idolization to Raul. He also has a best friend in Real Madrid and Spain's national team; that person is Iker Casillas. Nadal and Casillas, who's also around Nadal's age, get along very well. "They are best friends, they will talk non-stop every time they get together."

Although Nadal's a football fanatic, however his skills at football games are terrible. Toni said he would always get thrashed by a deficit of 5 goals and above. "Moya thrashed him by 6-0 last time and when he finally scored a goal, he was so happy that it's as if he has won the World Cup. The worst thrashing he ever got was like 0-9." Even though Nadal's making improvements in his tennis skills, there wasn't any improvements in his football skills.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:04 PM   #14
country flag Saumon

Saumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond repute

As it has been said, Toni speaks very good french and always agree to be interviewed (by Nelson ). And he always has nice words for Rafa's opponents!
Old 01-27-2007, 03:41 PM   #15
country flag Tess Gray

What I've always wondered... wich languages do spanish people learn at school? Because Rafa & Toni dont really speak english (altough Rafa's is getting better) I guess they dont get english... Wich languages do they learn? Does anyone know?