Coria (NOT) To Retire - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-17-2008, 03:46 PM   #1
country flag daze11

daze11 has a reputation beyond reputedaze11 has a reputation beyond reputedaze11 has a reputation beyond reputedaze11 has a reputation beyond reputedaze11 has a reputation beyond reputedaze11 has a reputation beyond reputedaze11 has a reputation beyond reputedaze11 has a reputation beyond reputedaze11 has a reputation beyond reputedaze11 has a reputation beyond reputedaze11 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Coria (NOT) To Retire

As was mentioned in Kitzbuhel thread, Guille says this is probably his last event. I figure we should table that discussion there so we can have it here.

I am sad but I feel like it is having a sick relative who when they finally go, you were well-prepared for it because the slow-lingering illness let you know it was coming. For me, this is not too shocking as I thought when he walked off the court after winning the first set, that he had to feel this was pathetic and in no way enjoyable. He probably won the set and said to himself, "Why does this not feel like a victory?" and just said, enough.

What I have been thinking is that I hope he finds a way to see how he can find contentment in giving to people, because as tough as these past few years have been, he has been a miraculous success as a person & player. I remember Andrea Jaeger being a top 3 player with grand slam finals on her resume, who had to retire very early & she found her true purpose in giving clinics and sharing herself with charities...so much so that she became a nun & found an amazing sense of guiding purpose for her life.

I dont want him to become a priest of course, but to redirect his passion toward something possibly more fulfilling and maybe even more self-defining than tennis.

Then theres the other part of me that hopes in retirement that if he were to play some exhibiton events for charity and find some kind of new confidence from the life he is living enough to no longer be so wrapped up in the tennis world & results that the mental problem goes away, and he returns to pro play as the star he always was! Because despite this lengthy set back, this man was a King, and is a King. He has plenty to offer the sport and the world.

K I N G C O R I A . C O M
I am a PROUD 'Coron'! VIVA EL MAGO!

Last edited by daze11 : 07-25-2008 at 01:05 PM.
daze11 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2008, 04:09 PM   #2
country flag guille&tati4life

guille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coria To Retire

If he goes, he goes as my favourite to ever pick up a raquet. He should be honoured .

Great career.

Best of luck with whatever he does.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:16 PM   #3
country flag daze11

daze11 has a reputation beyond reputedaze11 has a reputation beyond reputedaze11 has a reputation beyond reputedaze11 has a reputation beyond reputedaze11 has a reputation beyond reputedaze11 has a reputation beyond reputedaze11 has a reputation beyond reputedaze11 has a reputation beyond reputedaze11 has a reputation beyond reputedaze11 has a reputation beyond reputedaze11 has a reputation beyond repute

perhaps ironically, a book i had been waiting on arrived today.

its title? 'the end of the game'

Old 07-17-2008, 06:10 PM   #4
country flag jayjay

jayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond repute

This decision (or possible decision) has been long coming, as we all know.

The shoulder and the mentality made it impossible for him to seriously compete at the top level of tennis with that serve, and even though it is commendable that he tried, it was never realistic. He will always be my favourite player, but there was no joy for me to see him struggle in this way for 3 years and to become a laughing stock in the eyes of many, even to the point that some of his haters had to feel sorry for him. I'd have preferred it that they hated him, which meant he would have been doing well.

I'm glad he got to play Roland Garros one more time and acquited himself fairly well, but I'm very disappointed that his last performance in BA was one that I saw in person against RRH. To see him leave the court as a broken figure and one that was never ever to be repaired. Even in an atmosphere where everyone supported him as much as they could. No one could help him and unfortunately we have seen he hasn't been able to help himself.

I have many favourite memories of Coria, but anytime he pissed off an opponent and especially opposition fans brings a smile to my face. On the court, to get to number three in the world after having to deal with so many obstacles off the court in the form of the supplement case is an extraordinary achievement for a player who never had the natural power and strength that many of the top players in the world have and are blessed with.

I regret the one point he didn't win at Roland Garros that means his legacy will not be as glorified as it could have been. Even though to me I treat him as a Roland Garros champion, history will tell people he is not, and regrettably that is the truth and he has to live with that forever and it must be unbearable much of the time, no matter what he says.

That year from the Roland Garros SF 2003 to the Roland Garros F 2004 were incredibly pleasing times. It seemed like Coria was either winning a tournament somewhere, or doing well where people least expected from one week to the next.

It's amusing to me that the only two Coria matches that I have and keep in full are probably his two most famous losses - Roland Garros F 2004 and Rome F 2005.

I hope if and when he does retire, that he finds the peace of mind off court that he has been unable to find on court for the past few years. And if he does decide to continue, I will continue to watch him and follow him, but in sadness because of what is truly a lost cause.
jayjay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 06:27 PM   #5

I was afraid the end was coming, but I just had to hope things would straighten out for Guille. Tommy Haas has had three shoulder surgeries and he is still on the Pro Tour. Guille just seemed to have lost his way and never got it back
View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 08:19 PM   #6
country flag hsv91

hsv91 has a reputation beyond reputehsv91 has a reputation beyond reputehsv91 has a reputation beyond reputehsv91 has a reputation beyond reputehsv91 has a reputation beyond reputehsv91 has a reputation beyond reputehsv91 has a reputation beyond reputehsv91 has a reputation beyond reputehsv91 has a reputation beyond reputehsv91 has a reputation beyond reputehsv91 has a reputation beyond repute

Is it official, that Coria will retire, yes or no?

Didn't plays he the tournament in Bucharest in the september?
hsv91 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 08:31 PM   #7
country flag Fedeze14_gc

Fedeze14_gc has a reputation beyond reputeFedeze14_gc has a reputation beyond reputeFedeze14_gc has a reputation beyond reputeFedeze14_gc has a reputation beyond reputeFedeze14_gc has a reputation beyond reputeFedeze14_gc has a reputation beyond reputeFedeze14_gc has a reputation beyond reputeFedeze14_gc has a reputation beyond reputeFedeze14_gc has a reputation beyond reputeFedeze14_gc has a reputation beyond reputeFedeze14_gc has a reputation beyond repute

GUYS

Guille is not retiring, he has just confirmmed it at his forum, he was a little hurried when he told about retiring, now, he will take all the necessary time to come back, he wants to recover totally of his arm, so he doesn't know where/when he's coming back.

greetings.

any doubt. add my email.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:50 PM   #8
country flag kai.
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

kai. has a reputation beyond reputekai. has a reputation beyond reputekai. has a reputation beyond reputekai. has a reputation beyond reputekai. has a reputation beyond reputekai. has a reputation beyond reputekai. has a reputation beyond reputekai. has a reputation beyond reputekai. has a reputation beyond reputekai. has a reputation beyond reputekai. has a reputation beyond repute

http://eltenisquenovemos.com.ar
kai. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 01:23 AM   #9
country flag daze11

Default Re: Coria NOT To Retire

well...we should leave this thread hangin' around...i am not totally convinced we have seen the last of it.

Old 07-18-2008, 07:41 AM   #10
country flag Deea

Deea has a reputation beyond reputeDeea has a reputation beyond reputeDeea has a reputation beyond reputeDeea has a reputation beyond reputeDeea has a reputation beyond reputeDeea has a reputation beyond reputeDeea has a reputation beyond reputeDeea has a reputation beyond reputeDeea has a reputation beyond reputeDeea has a reputation beyond reputeDeea has a reputation beyond repute

Whatever his decision will be, I hope it will make him happy and that it will be the right one. We are with you Guillermo, despite all the problems and difficulties! After RG I honestly expected things to turn around and I was very very sad to notice it wasn't so. Can't even imagine how he felt...if he gives it another go I hope it shall be a successfull one. If not...then to a beautiful even though full of controversy career Guille shall always be my first tennis love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Federer on Marat Safin, AO 2009
Anyway, I love playing against the guy. He brings something different to the tennis world with his character, the way he is on the court and the way he is off the court. He's larger than life.
Deea is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 09:20 AM   #11
country flag kai.
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

kai. has a reputation beyond reputekai. has a reputation beyond reputekai. has a reputation beyond reputekai. has a reputation beyond reputekai. has a reputation beyond reputekai. has a reputation beyond reputekai. has a reputation beyond reputekai. has a reputation beyond reputekai. has a reputation beyond reputekai. has a reputation beyond reputekai. has a reputation beyond repute

I just make 2 wallpapers about "El Mago" for give him a little of "Fuerza"... (If Someone need it in a special size just ask of it =) )

http://eltenisquenovemos.com.ar

Last edited by kai. : 09-19-2008 at 04:25 AM.
kai. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 09:21 AM   #12
country flag fabolous

fabolous has a reputation beyond reputefabolous has a reputation beyond reputefabolous has a reputation beyond reputefabolous has a reputation beyond reputefabolous has a reputation beyond reputefabolous has a reputation beyond reputefabolous has a reputation beyond reputefabolous has a reputation beyond reputefabolous has a reputation beyond reputefabolous has a reputation beyond reputefabolous has a reputation beyond repute

jayjay, i agree with your post 100%, nothing more to add.
fabolous is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 03:15 PM   #13
country flag daze11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai_soad View Post
whoa!! this one in particular is gorgeous! and look at that BODY! do you think he rents that stomach out for pay?

Old 07-18-2008, 11:50 PM   #14
country flag Fedeze14_gc

Fedeze14_gc has a reputation beyond reputeFedeze14_gc has a reputation beyond reputeFedeze14_gc has a reputation beyond reputeFedeze14_gc has a reputation beyond reputeFedeze14_gc has a reputation beyond reputeFedeze14_gc has a reputation beyond reputeFedeze14_gc has a reputation beyond reputeFedeze14_gc has a reputation beyond reputeFedeze14_gc has a reputation beyond reputeFedeze14_gc has a reputation beyond reputeFedeze14_gc has a reputation beyond repute

haha kai is the "mago" of photoshop, she makes great drop shots with the mouse haha.
Old 07-28-2008, 04:01 PM   #15
country flag CounterPuncher

CounterPuncher has a reputation beyond reputeCounterPuncher has a reputation beyond reputeCounterPuncher has a reputation beyond reputeCounterPuncher has a reputation beyond reputeCounterPuncher has a reputation beyond reputeCounterPuncher has a reputation beyond reputeCounterPuncher has a reputation beyond reputeCounterPuncher has a reputation beyond reputeCounterPuncher has a reputation beyond reputeCounterPuncher has a reputation beyond reputeCounterPuncher has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coria (NOT) To Retire

ANy new News about Guille? and his retirement?

I hope not!

Visit: http://topspinsports.com
CounterPuncher is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote