Iowa Caucus - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-04-2008, 02:03 AM   #16
country flag MusicMyst

MusicMyst has a reputation beyond reputeMusicMyst has a reputation beyond reputeMusicMyst has a reputation beyond reputeMusicMyst has a reputation beyond reputeMusicMyst has a reputation beyond reputeMusicMyst has a reputation beyond reputeMusicMyst has a reputation beyond reputeMusicMyst has a reputation beyond reputeMusicMyst has a reputation beyond reputeMusicMyst has a reputation beyond reputeMusicMyst has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Iowa Caucus

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackgirltennis View Post
This would have been shocking news 2 months ago when Hilary and Giuliani were the clear front runners.
According to Real Clear Politics's average of national polls, they both still are, although Clinton's lead is a very solid +21.2, while Guiliani is limping along at +2.8.
MusicMyst is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2008, 02:03 AM   #17
country flag Fee

Fee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond repute

Not to offend anyone, but these results don't tell me that the Iowa voters are so politically intelligent.

I have no problem with the concept of this caucus, but I have a problem with individuals being required to state their vote publicly, even if it is in front of a small group of people.

@dougrobson - Whoever is supplying Mahut with hair gel needs to ink a sponsorship deal now.

@Wimbledon - FYI, with @Wimbledon live scoring devices, please add 50 to the games in the fifth set of the Isner v Mahut match.

@HolterMedia - Nice to see that a three-day test has come to tennis here @wimbledon.

Andy wearring Crocs, courtesy of Smitty8
Fee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 02:05 AM   #18
country flag Fensler
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Fensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicMyst View Post
No, I was responding to the two posters directly above my posts (yes, I should have quoted them). Sorry for the confusion.
Thanks for the clarification. I should've assumed as much.

Pre-Copernican beliefs in the modern world: "56% think the Sun rotates around the Earth."
---

When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.
Fensler is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 02:08 AM   #19
country flag MusicMyst

MusicMyst has a reputation beyond reputeMusicMyst has a reputation beyond reputeMusicMyst has a reputation beyond reputeMusicMyst has a reputation beyond reputeMusicMyst has a reputation beyond reputeMusicMyst has a reputation beyond reputeMusicMyst has a reputation beyond reputeMusicMyst has a reputation beyond reputeMusicMyst has a reputation beyond reputeMusicMyst has a reputation beyond reputeMusicMyst has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fee View Post
Not to offend anyone, but these results don't tell me that the Iowa voters are so politically intelligent.

I have no problem with the concept of this caucus, but I have a problem with individuals being required to state their vote publicly, even if it is in front of a small group of people.
Only the Democrats do that. The Republicans use the traditional paper ballot.

The goal is to convince others to vote for the candidate of your choice, so that's why it's a public vote. They're allowed to make speeches to support their candidates. The caucuses are dominated by party activists, which is why the public votes make sense.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:26 AM   #20
country flag Fensler
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Fensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Not offended. That's fine.

I don't think that's what tonight's results were meant to prove or disprove anyway.

I wasn't talking about voting results standing as a representation of someone's intelligence. I was referring to the positive aspects of the campaigning process leading up to tonight. The classic interaction among candidates and the public. I originally quoted the phrase that said, "politically educated voters who put candidates through a lot of tough questioning."

I stand by that. I didn't say - nor would I say - that they're more intelligent than the rest of the American populace. I'm saying that these people are politically informed enough (much more so than outsiders realize) to make this odd system work well and serve an interesting function in our country - even if only for a brief time.

Pre-Copernican beliefs in the modern world: "56% think the Sun rotates around the Earth."
---

Old 01-04-2008, 02:54 AM   #21
country flag Fee

Fee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond repute

Good points Fensler, thanks.

My main problem with this is the incredible amount of hype it gets when it is only one state out of 50. No one is a loser tonight, and none of these candidates should even consider ending their campaigns either here or in New Hampshire. Everyone should stay in until Florida or one of the other more diverse states has their primary (then both parties should do some serious reform for the next cycle that includes regional primaries and a compact schedule that starts the first week of March. But that's just my opinion...).

@dougrobson - Whoever is supplying Mahut with hair gel needs to ink a sponsorship deal now.

@Wimbledon - FYI, with @Wimbledon live scoring devices, please add 50 to the games in the fifth set of the Isner v Mahut match.

@HolterMedia - Nice to see that a three-day test has come to tennis here @wimbledon.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:56 AM   #22
country flag El Legenda
Not a Registered User

El Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond repute

Obama
Old 01-04-2008, 03:03 AM   #23
country flag savesthedizzle
#freeviktor

savesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Seinfeld View Post
Obama

savesthedizzle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 04:20 AM   #24
country flag RickDaStick

RickDaStick has a reputation beyond reputeRickDaStick has a reputation beyond reputeRickDaStick has a reputation beyond reputeRickDaStick has a reputation beyond reputeRickDaStick has a reputation beyond reputeRickDaStick has a reputation beyond reputeRickDaStick has a reputation beyond reputeRickDaStick has a reputation beyond reputeRickDaStick has a reputation beyond reputeRickDaStick has a reputation beyond reputeRickDaStick has a reputation beyond repute

So what does this all really mean? I was hoping to see Hilary in the white house, does this hurt her chances at all?
RickDaStick is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 04:31 AM   #25
country flag El Legenda
Not a Registered User

El Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanLjubicic View Post
So what does this all really mean? I was hoping to see Hilary in the white house, does this hurt her chances at all?
Old 01-04-2008, 04:40 AM   #26
country flag Fensler
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Good points Fensler, thanks.

My main problem with this is the incredible amount of hype it gets when it is only one state out of 50.
This is a reasonable point, for sure. I'd say our national media is more at fault in regard to the hype than the caucus itself is. It's no secret that CNN, Fox News, et al. like to engage in histrionics - whatever the topic may be.

P.S. Thanks for being civil in your responses. It's a nice contrast to what I'm seeing on some other messageboards.

---

Old 01-04-2008, 04:51 AM   #27
country flag TankingTheSet

TankingTheSet has a reputation beyond reputeTankingTheSet has a reputation beyond reputeTankingTheSet has a reputation beyond reputeTankingTheSet has a reputation beyond reputeTankingTheSet has a reputation beyond reputeTankingTheSet has a reputation beyond reputeTankingTheSet has a reputation beyond reputeTankingTheSet has a reputation beyond reputeTankingTheSet has a reputation beyond reputeTankingTheSet has a reputation beyond reputeTankingTheSet has a reputation beyond repute

A news report I read said that Obama won 16 'delegates', Clinton 15 and Edwards 14. I thought it was 'winner takes it all' in US elections, or is that only for the final presidential election, or does it vary by state for the primaries?

In any case Obama is from Illinois which borders Iowa so he probably benefitted from that.

TT Singles 2012: W: Winston-Salem SF: Honolulu CH, Rotterdam, Memphis, 's-Hertogenbosch, Wimbledon, Beijing, Vienna QF: Barcelona, Nice, Bastad, Petange CH, Bangkok R16: Monte Carlo, Madrid
TT Doubles 2012: W: Caloundra CH (with kingroger), Acapulco (with keqtqiadv) F: Beijing (with KittyTennis) SF: Sydney (with Belludal), Memphis (with Belludal), Guadalajara CH (with kingroger), Wimbledon (with RHB1993) QF: Barcelona (with extremaduratenis), Cincinnati (with stbanchile)
TankingTheSet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 06:11 AM   #28
country flag Fee

Fensler, thanks for the compliment. I have no reason to call you names just because we disagree, that's childish.

'Tank' - the presidential primaries are a different animal than most other types of elections in the US. This is basically a party nominating process, not really an 'election' at this point, so yes, the candidates are getting delegates instead of just votes. In recent years the nominees have been decided well before the conventions (in the summer), and the other candidates drop out when the winner becomes clear. I think the last time either party actually did a real ballot at the convention was back in the 1950's. Pretty sure that both parties will have a clear cut nominee by the end of February if not sooner. It's just too expensive to campaign in the US, and if someone isn't winning and getting press, the donors will fade away and force the candidate to drop out.

In the general election in the fall, the candidates will try to win the states, which turns into electoral college votes, which creates the winner. I think there are two states that award their electoral college votes by congressional district, but all of the rest are winner take all (including the big prizes - California, Texas, New York, and Florida).

Old 01-04-2008, 08:22 AM   #29
country flag rosespower

rosespower has a reputation beyond reputerosespower has a reputation beyond reputerosespower has a reputation beyond reputerosespower has a reputation beyond reputerosespower has a reputation beyond reputerosespower has a reputation beyond reputerosespower has a reputation beyond reputerosespower has a reputation beyond reputerosespower has a reputation beyond reputerosespower has a reputation beyond reputerosespower has a reputation beyond repute

I'm happy for Barrack who showed that he's a strong candidate...not the tail of hhillary

I would love to see that!
rosespower is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 11:21 AM   #30
country flag MusicMyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanLjubicic View Post
HRC still has a strong lead in national polls (for the party nomination), so it's much too early to tell whether it means much. Obama attracted lots of college students and also party activists, who tend to go to the caucuses.

The bigger surprise is that Huckabee managed to do so well with so little money spent in the state. His campaign is doing something right, obviously. If he pulls close to Romney and/or Guiliani in larger states, I think they'll talk to him about accepting the VP slot.