Iowa Caucus - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-03-2008, 10:40 PM   #1
country flag Stensland

Stensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond repute
Default Iowa Caucus

anyone up tonight from europe, anyone from the states interested in politics? i'm off duty regarding university work until january 14th so i'm probably gonna watch a lot of the cnn international coverage tonight (if i don't fall asleep).

as far as i know it's gonna be a tight race between romney and huckabee on the republican side, clinton and obama on the democratic side (with edwards maybe weighing in, who knows). should be interesting tonight.

i must confess that i still don't get how all that caucus stuff actually works although i did watch that blitzer/toobin bit yesterday night. but sorry, i didn't get it. we don't have that sort of thing over here.
Stensland is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2008, 11:24 PM   #2
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Iowa Caucus

We don't have it here either, but Jess explained 'em pretty well to me. It's kinda crazy.
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 11:47 PM   #3
country flag justClaudia

justClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrainer View Post
anyone up tonight from europe, anyone from the states interested in politics? i'm off duty regarding university work until january 14th so i'm probably gonna watch a lot of the cnn international coverage tonight (if i don't fall asleep).

as far as i know it's gonna be a tight race between romney and huckabee on the republican side, clinton and obama on the democratic side (with edwards maybe weighing in, who knows). should be interesting tonight.

i must confess that i still don't get how all that caucus stuff actually works although i did watch that blitzer/toobin bit yesterday night. but sorry, i didn't get it. we don't have that sort of thing over here.
we don't have here either, actually I think only America has primary elections, although i'm not sure.

I was reading this & think I know how it works now
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7049207.stm

think.

I might stay up a bit more to watch it on cnn too.
justClaudia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 12:01 AM   #4
country flag Fensler
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Fensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by justClaudia View Post
we don't have here either, actually I think only America has primary elections, although i'm not sure.

I was reading this & think I know how it works now
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7049207.stm

think.

I might stay up a bit more to watch it on cnn too.
After having seen this whole process unfold in my backyard, so to speak, I agree with the following comment from that linked article. I was a skeptic, but Iowa has made a believer out of me in this regard. This is an interesting system that really does serve an important function in the American political process.

"The counter-argument is that both states (Iowa and New Hampshire) have politically educated voters who put candidates through a lot of tough questioning."

Pre-Copernican beliefs in the modern world: "56% think the Sun rotates around the Earth."
---

When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.
Fensler is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 01:05 AM   #5
country flag Fensler
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Fensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond reputeFensler has a reputation beyond repute

The whole event is fascinating, and it’s especially interesting for me, as I live in one of the key “battleground” cities for the Iowa caucus. Having all of these caucus-related events going on around me, so to speak, has magnified the significance of the process.

Many have said (and I generally agree) that the Iowa caucus compares more favorably to classic, early-American politicking than other major political procedures in The States. I think the Founding Fathers would admire the process. This is a system where candidates must earn their keep on a personal level with the public – much more so than at other times. I know this sounds like a cliché! However, after watching all of this from the perspective of both an outsider (I’m not originally from Iowa) and a resident, I’ve become an advocate of the concept, even though I acknowledge it isn’t perfect.

In the lead-up to the caucuses, politicians must interact with people...real people who probably represent a better cross-section of motivated voters than those who just happen to be watching a television broadcast. Candidates can’t just rely on “soundbites.” They must prove themselves through actual conversations that are often unrehearsed. The ability to listen, learn, and connect with the public is of amplified importance here.

I think that’s part of why Obama has enjoyed this so much. Perhaps he’s a prime example of an American politician who could also thrive in the Europe. (I’m not talking about his campaign platform or his stances on various issues here; I’m just referring to his propensity to articulate his ideas in impromptu public forums. That’s a lost art among many American candidates.)

The process has also been interesting from a human-behavioral standpoint. Many have voiced their disapproval over the amount of attention that Iowa has received. Now, I’m okay with people wanting to improve the system, obviously. I have no way of knowing whether the current system is the best one. Still, I don’t approve of people wanting to completely change the process out of envy – or because they have some pre-conceived notion that Iowa isn’t an appropriate setting. In my opinion, this caucusing isn’t perfect, but it works in a way that very few other political procedures do. If we’re looking to improve our voting system, let’s overhaul the truly bad parts, rather than scrapping one that benefits us in a unique way.

Pre-Copernican beliefs in the modern world: "56% think the Sun rotates around the Earth."
---

Old 01-04-2008, 01:27 AM   #6
country flag cmurray

cmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond repute

cnn just said that Huckabee is going to take Iowa.

I have to admit it - I'm SHOCKED. Didn't think he'd pull it off.

Like Fensler, I have to say that I really like the way the Iowa caucus is run. It is a VERY personal campaigning process.
cmurray is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 01:48 AM   #7
country flag justClaudia

justClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond repute

Edwards ahead of Hilary Clinton apparently. that is surprising to me.

here where I am all the news are about Hilary & Barack, Hilary & Barack ..blah, blah.
like there is no one else but these two.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:49 AM   #8
country flag MusicMyst

MusicMyst has a reputation beyond reputeMusicMyst has a reputation beyond reputeMusicMyst has a reputation beyond reputeMusicMyst has a reputation beyond reputeMusicMyst has a reputation beyond reputeMusicMyst has a reputation beyond reputeMusicMyst has a reputation beyond reputeMusicMyst has a reputation beyond reputeMusicMyst has a reputation beyond reputeMusicMyst has a reputation beyond reputeMusicMyst has a reputation beyond repute

Are you really shocked that Huckabee is going to win Iowa? To me, it would have been a shock if he didn't win. He's got the values, the personality, and the track record that would play well with Iowa Republicans. He won't win the nomination (Guiliani still leads in the national polls), but if he keeps this up, he'll have a good shot at the VP position, to balance the ticket.
MusicMyst is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 01:51 AM   #9
country flag MusicMyst

MusicMyst has a reputation beyond reputeMusicMyst has a reputation beyond reputeMusicMyst has a reputation beyond reputeMusicMyst has a reputation beyond reputeMusicMyst has a reputation beyond reputeMusicMyst has a reputation beyond reputeMusicMyst has a reputation beyond reputeMusicMyst has a reputation beyond reputeMusicMyst has a reputation beyond reputeMusicMyst has a reputation beyond reputeMusicMyst has a reputation beyond repute

Guys . . . you gotta stop reading the New York Times all the time.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:53 AM   #10
country flag Fensler
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurray View Post
cnn just said that Huckabee is going to take Iowa.

I have to admit it - I'm SHOCKED. Didn't think he'd pull it off.
Looks like it.

1)Huckabee is winning the Republican caucus.

2)Obama has won the Democratic caucus by a significant margin.

Quote:
Like Fensler, I have to say that I really like the way the Iowa caucus is run. It is a VERY personal campaigning process.
Very personal, indeed.

---

Old 01-04-2008, 01:56 AM   #11
country flag Fensler
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicMyst View Post
Guys . . . you gotta stop reading the New York Times all the time.
I rarely do and haven't for a long time. Did I say something that sounded like the NYT? (I'm actually asking you here - not being adversarial.)

---

Old 01-04-2008, 01:57 AM   #12
country flag MusicMyst

Obama's margin of victory is only impressive in terms percentages, not actual number of voters:

Iowa
Democrats Vote %
Obama 797 37%
Edwards 651 30
Clinton 643 30
Richardson 45 2
Biden 20 1
Dodd 1 0
Others 2 0
89% reporting

Republicans Vote %
Huckabee 26,054 34%
Romney 19,186 25
Thompson 10,536 14
McCain 10,192 13
Paul 7,864 10
Giuliani 2,779 4
Others 330 0
67% reporting

Edit: Numbers for Democrats are "State Delegate Equivalents", not votes cast (which is true for the Republicans).

Last edited by MusicMyst : 01-04-2008 at 03:45 AM.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:58 AM   #13
country flag MusicMyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fensler View Post
I rarely do and haven't for a long time. Did I say something that sounded like the NYT? (I'm actually asking you here - not being adversarial.)
No, I was responding to the two posters directly above my posts (yes, I should have quoted them). Sorry for the confusion.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:58 AM   #14
country flag ~*BGT*~

~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute

This would have been shocking news 2 months ago when Hilary and Giuliani were the clear front runners.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
~*BGT*~ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 02:02 AM   #15
country flag justClaudia

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicMyst View Post
No, I was responding to the two posters directly above my posts (yes, I should have quoted them). Sorry for the confusion.
I've never read the New York Times, dear. not even when I was there much less when I am (and live) on the other side of the ocean.