2008 Australian Open. Sunscreen required, 4th round tickets optional... - Page 51 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-27-2008, 07:56 PM   #751
country flag kaylee

kaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No sunscreen can prevent a self-inflicted burn. Oyyyy is right.

I agree with everyone first if Jimmy can't make Andy listen no-one else can this isn't good. Second hmmm somehow (and no offence to Wozniaki) but I can't see Jimmy doing this - especially since Andy did state that Jimmy would be around for this year. He doesn't travel to every tournament so I guess we will all have to wait and see.
kaylee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2008, 09:01 PM   #752
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute

The Wozniacki thing has been in the works for a while now and Connors would have a unique, casual, coaching relationship with her similar to what he has with Andy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaillyyy View Post
At least it wasn't a boring, one sided match
Amen. I enjoyed this final immensely. For once we had no idea who would win.

Andy's loss is old news now but I'll post this anyway.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/others...93_ravi21.html
Quote:
On Tennis: Roddick gave too many chances in Melbourne
By RAVI UBHA
SPECIAL TO THE P-I

Notice a theme when Andy Roddick loses a big match? The other guy always seems to put up huge numbers, and Roddick says afterward there was little he could do.

Not so.

The latest disappointment, of course, came in the third round of the Australian Open on Friday. German Philipp Kohlschreiber, among the tour's vertically challenged with the likes of Arnaud Clement, the Rochus brothers and Dudi Sela, produced a Federer-esque 104 winners and prevailed 6-4, 3-6, 7-6, 6-7, 8-6 in Melbourne.

At first glance, Roddick's tally of 79, especially compared with 23 unforced errors, is impressive, even if the stats man Down Under is obviously generous. Take away his aces and the winners slump to 37, which over a five-set encounter isn't much.

Roddick gave too many chances to Kohlschreiber, whose picturesque one-handed backhand was more lethal than the Texan's forehand, at one time one of the biggest shots in tennis.

In a criticism that's been mentioned before, Roddick stood a yard or more behind the baseline on most rallies, letting Kohlschreiber dictate. That might work if you're a Rafael Nadal, but Roddick simply doesn't have the court coverage or strokes to hurt anyone that deep in the court.

When Roddick does try to take the initiative by rushing the net, his approach shots are often too short or lack pace, and his volley, let's face it, still isn't good. Giving players a second chance to pass just won't cut it.

Interesting to see where Roddick -- and coach Jimmy Connors -- go from here.

Kudos to U.S. No. 2 James Blake for his third-round performance against veteran Frenchman Sebastien Grosjean, where he rallied from two sets down.

Blake has a good shot to advance to his first Grand Slam quarterfinal outside New York, given that he next meets Croat Marin Cilic, a top prospect, though inexperienced.
And Patrick McEnroe chimes in with similar thoughts on Andy's loss:
Quote:
American disappointment

Andy Roddick's Australian Open bracket was favorable. He also came in with confidence after a title in Kooyong a week prior. He marched through his first two opponents, but versus Philipp Kohlschreiber, a passive-laden approach cost him the match. If Roddick attacked the way he did against Federer in last year's U.S. Open quarterfinal -- despite losing -- he would likely have advanced to the fourth round.
*edit*
Still more photos to add.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MEL26501181150.jpg (25.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg MEL27201181239.jpg (46.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg MEL27101181238.jpg (32.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg MEL27401181252.jpg (28.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg XMEL23901181313.jpg (45.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg MEL27601181306.jpg (37.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg MEL28101181341.jpg (41.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg MEL28201181345.jpg (26.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg MEL28901181431.jpg (30.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg MEL29001181435.jpg (34.3 KB, 7 views)
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums

Last edited by tangerine_dream : 01-28-2008 at 06:07 PM.
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 02:24 PM   #753
country flag kaylee

kaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Tangy and I agree that was a thrilling men's final!!!!
Old 01-30-2008, 02:48 PM   #754
country flag kaylee

Final words on Aussie Open from Craig Hickman:
Andy Roddick is done. He doesn't have to be, but since he keeps his sharpest knives in the drawer.... Oh, I'll remain a fan. And I'll hope that I'm wrong. That he can still achieve all his career goals and nab a Wimbledon title. If he does, it will be a Goran Ivanisevic-type run, years from now, after he's fallen out of the top 100. He'll get a wildcard, blast his way through the draw, and defeat another player who covets a Wimbledon trophy above all others in a Monday final that goes triple overtime in the fifth. Till then, A-Rod is A-WOL (thanks, Drop-shot) and that's that.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:12 PM   #755
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Till then, A-Rod is A-WOL (thanks, Drop-shot) and that's that.
Spot on. I want our real Andy Roddick back.
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
Old 01-30-2008, 04:09 PM   #756
country flag kaylee

Me too do ya think he will re-appear in DC?
Old 01-30-2008, 04:09 PM   #757
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

Can't disagree with that at all

He'll appear energy-wise, but probably not game-wise. have fun on clay trying to play that kind of game, Andy

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 04:12 PM   #758
country flag partygirl

partygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerine_dream View Post
I want our real Andy Roddick back.
partygirl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 05:06 PM   #759
Last dance, Andy

He'll come back to us, partygirl. Someday.

Mugs Tennis Forums
Old 01-30-2008, 05:15 PM   #760
country flag partygirl

partygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond repute

When he is good and bored with nonsense.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:05 PM   #761
country flag kaylee

If he starts playing 5 feet behind the baseline again I will pesonally fly to Austria and zap him with an electric prod that will hurt so much that he will never do it again. OK I am off to watch Shanghai match against Gonzo, he was actually on the baseline almost the whole of that match. "thud"
Old 01-30-2008, 07:17 PM   #762
Last dance, Andy

Playing five feet behind the baseline is the least of his problems, kaylee. His biggest problems now are the wimpy forehand that has no pace and lands short, and his inability to transition from passive/defense to offense play. Not to mention that he doesn't seem to know how or when to slam the door shut when he sees his opponent getting more confident. This is why so many players keep having the match of their lives against him.

He used to thrive in big moments but we see that he still lacks some confidence and belief in himself so this makes him panic in tight situations again. I thought Connors was supposed to have fixed all of this? But we are back to square one again and I can't find a reason for him to be there. He had all the momentum going in, which makes the loss to Kohls all the more frustrating.

*edit*
And here's James Martin's take on it.

http://www.tennis.com/features/gener...aspx?id=117372
Can Andy Roddick rebound?

I must admit that it’s getting quite comical in the way Andy Roddick tends to bring out the best in his journeymen opponents. If you didn’t know any better you’d swear that his third-round Australian Open opponent, Philipp Kohlschreiber, who had a losing record last season and who has won just one title in his career, was the second coming of Federer.

Granted, the match was well played from both sides, but it also exposed all of Roddick’s problems of late. In that match, Roddick appeared to have little confidence in his ground game—justifiably so, as Kohlschreiber was hitting with more pace and angle and penetration. Andy’s no longer the big forehand on the block. So he must resort to charging the net, a gambit that usually backfires on him. Many people will point to his paucity of technique at the net, which is a fair comment, but it’s how he’s getting to the net that’s his real problem. Roddick’s approach shots are hit with too much topspin and not enough penetration. Instead of putting his opponents on the defensive, these shots dip into the court and give guys like Kohlschreiber an extra moment to set up and rip a pass. Roddick also lacks the instincts and footwork of a net-rusher. He basically stands in the middle of the court, racquet in hand, with the hope that the ball will be hit back to him, as opposed to continuing to move forward to cover the percentage pass. He’s the tennis equivalent of a sitting duck up there.

With the upcoming clay-court season a wash for Roddick (and the rest of the Americans), he’ll have to once again pin his hopes toward the faster courts of Wimbledon, where, as chance would have it last year, Richard Gasquet played the match of his life against him.

------------

FoxSports comments on Andy's passive play.

http://msn.foxsports.com/tennis/stor...g-like-a-champ
Quote:
Held over the Kohls: In a tournament where both Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal suffered stunning losses, even more notable was Andy Roddick's third-round exit. There was nothing he could do about most of the 104 winners it took for Kohlschreiber to send him packing, but a win in that match could've put him on track for a quarterfinal showdown with Nadal on a surface that favors Roddick's game. With his top nemesis Federer bowing out before the final, Roddick missed a golden chance to make a serious Grand Slam run.

Must've been the lime green shirt: Philip Kohlschreiber posted the best performance of the Australian Open for his third-round win over sixth-ranked Andy Roddick. Kohlschreiber hit an incredible 104 winners to just 33 unforced errors while Roddick stood by and waited for a collapse that never came.

Mugs Tennis Forums

Last edited by tangerine_dream : 01-31-2008 at 04:22 PM.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:17 PM   #763
country flag blosson
La La Land

blosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylee View Post
Final words on Aussie Open from Craig Hickman:
Andy Roddick is done. He doesn't have to be, but since he keeps his sharpest knives in the drawer.... Oh, I'll remain a fan. And I'll hope that I'm wrong. That he can still achieve all his career goals and nab a Wimbledon title. If he does, it will be a Goran Ivanisevic-type run, years from now, after he's fallen out of the top 100. He'll get a wildcard, blast his way through the draw, and defeat another player who covets a Wimbledon trophy above all others in a Monday final that goes triple overtime in the fifth. Till then, A-Rod is A-WOL (thanks, Drop-shot) and that's that.
It will be in between Roger's way out and before the new Wimbledon king shows up. Until then we will watch him being kicked out of tournaments by the number 467s of this life and playing loads of exhibitions.
blosson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 07:59 PM   #764
country flag kaylee

I agree and yes what happened to the bludgening forehand? Oh well maybe I will corner him in Miami and take menstennisforum's fans along with me so we can all tell him what we think (do you think he would take notice if we all attacked him at once) -just curious.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:25 PM   #765
country flag partygirl

...He'd certainly feel it.