The Asado Thread: Chat (and Chew) Here - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-04-2008, 02:13 AM   #46
country flag sigmagirl91
Miss Thang

sigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Asado Thread: Chat (and Chew) Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by justClaudia View Post
Tiff you are you still online?
I believe we can talk politics here, well not parties, just generally speaking that is.

how does it work after tonight? they still all go to the New Hampshire voting, or some are out tonight?
I'm a bit clueless about the American voting system. it's nothing like this here in Europe.
We're in the process of selecting a Democratic and a Republican presidential candidate for the 2008 election. Right now, the states are doing the voting primaries to determine who those candidates will be.

We Americans utilize what's called the Electoral College in the presidential elections. Each state gets a certain number of electoral votes, and the votes will swing toward the candidate who garners the most votes from its voting population.
Although I disagree with many aspects of this system, it's been around for a long time and doesn't look as if it will go away anytime soon. The states vote according to how its citizens vote. If Kentucky, my home state, votes for Obama as its majority, then all its electoral votes will go with Obama.

I'm hearing more about the Iowa votes, since I'm under the impression that their votes for H. Clinton and Obama for the Democratic candidate are the closest. No word about New Hampshire yet...although I'll let you know when I get more word about it.
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2008, 02:32 AM   #47
country flag justClaudia

justClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmagirl91 View Post
We're in the process of selecting a Democratic and a Republican presidential candidate for the 2008 election. Right now, the states are doing the voting primaries to determine who those candidates will be.

We Americans utilize what's called the Electoral College in the presidential elections. Each state gets a certain number of electoral votes, and the votes will swing toward the candidate who garners the most votes from its voting population.
Although I disagree with many aspects of this system, it's been around for a long time and doesn't look as if it will go away anytime soon. The states vote according to how its citizens vote. If Kentucky, my home state, votes for Obama as its majority, then all its electoral votes will go with Obama.

I'm hearing more about the Iowa votes, since I'm under the impression that their votes for H. Clinton and Obama for the Democratic candidate are the closest. No word about New Hampshire yet...although I'll let you know when I get more word about it.

Thanks.

It's really confusing for a small country like mine an electoral system like yours.

but I presume it works well there, here it's almost unthinkable. The parties chose their candidate & we simply go to vote on a given day, nothing of primarys or anything like that.

I'm watching CNN and it's apparently Obama for Democrats & Huckabee for Republicans.
justClaudia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 05:29 AM   #48
country flag Schu

Schu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone . Nice to meet David's fans.

My name is Ann and I too am in the over 30 club, just how much over, I'll never tell . I like to play and watch tennis, read and listen to music but don't get to do any of those as much as I like because work gets in the way far too often. My work - right now I coordinate educational conferences for a Law School and before that I worked in Marketing/Public relations for a hospital. My educational background is in business; I have a Masters in Business Administration.

I started to be a fan of David's after his really close match (which he lost) against Hewitt at the AO in 2005, or was it 2004 (I'm so old I can't remember the year). Hewitt was a real jerk and David was sooo cool dealing with his jerky opponent and the crowd. I just love the way David plays - like a chess match. My other favorite player is Gasquet who hooked me after his amazing, cramping up match at the 2006 US Open (which he lost) against guess who - Hewitt. I guess I'm just a sucker for extremely talented, good looking, headcase tennis players.

I hope we will all be able to celebrate many victories with David in 2008 and at least one Grand Slam. If no slam, then at least many victories over Roger and Rafa. But David CAN win a slam and this is his year to do it.

Oh and YES, the ads in the middle of the threads drive me NUTS too. If they start flashing, I'll probably smash my laptop.
Schu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 05:37 AM   #49
country flag Schu

Schu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmagirl91 View Post
Although I disagree with many aspects of this system, it's been around for a long time and doesn't look as if it will go away anytime soon.
Can't figure out why the system still exists. I know very few people who still support it, especially after the Bush-Gore debacle last election. And since one shouldn't discuss religion or politics with friends - that's all the politics I'm going to discuss.
Schu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:10 AM   #50
country flag LeChuck

LeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
the only football.
Definately . Many people who have met me have been surprised to come across a North American who likes proper football so much. Which team do you support?
Quote:
You were there too that was my first time seeing David live & where I fell for him as well.
Wow it's a small world huh . Yes I was on holiday in Portugal and booked tickets months in advance. In the Ferrero match, it was weird because I had been a fan of him since RG 2000, and was initially cheering for him, but not long into the match I took a shine to his opponent and began to root for him. Did you get to see his final against Nieminen live?
Quote:
nice to meet you, Scott.
It's great to meet you too Claudia. Congratulations for your engagement and the wedding which you are planning.
LeChuck is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 11:00 AM   #51
country flag Hola Mr. SK
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hola Mr. SK has a reputation beyond reputeHola Mr. SK has a reputation beyond reputeHola Mr. SK has a reputation beyond reputeHola Mr. SK has a reputation beyond reputeHola Mr. SK has a reputation beyond reputeHola Mr. SK has a reputation beyond reputeHola Mr. SK has a reputation beyond reputeHola Mr. SK has a reputation beyond reputeHola Mr. SK has a reputation beyond reputeHola Mr. SK has a reputation beyond reputeHola Mr. SK has a reputation beyond repute

Good idea to have a chat thread here(again) and nice to see things have become well organized on this forum. Tiff and Claudia for mods!

Just a brief introduction of myself. I'm Chinese.My name is Dong. My English name is Evan. I got 2 BS degrees,Chemistry and Biology,yet I became an American medical technologist later on and worked for half a year in China. Now I'm a business man...lol. I love to play and watch tennis. I started to watch tennis at the end of Sampras era. I'm also a big F1 fan who dreams to be a race driver. Just daydreaming...

I became an official Nalby fan after the Shanghai Master's Cup 2005 final and joined MTF. Before that match,I thought Nalbandian was just mediocre. After that,I noticed on his day,he's capable to beat anyone. Hope the guy won't let me down in 2008...

Good luck with the wedding,Claudia,and have a happy marriage. Never thought you were elder than me.
Hola Mr. SK is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 01:41 PM   #52
country flag sigmagirl91
Miss Thang

sigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by skykisser View Post
Good idea to have a chat thread here(again) and nice to see things have become well organized on this forum. Tiff and Claudia for mods!

Just a brief introduction of myself. I'm Chinese.My name is Dong. My English name is Evan. I got 2 BS degrees,Chemistry and Biology,yet I became an American medical technologist later on and worked for half a year in China. Now I'm a business man...lol. I love to play and watch tennis. I started to watch tennis at the end of Sampras era. I'm also a big F1 fan who dreams to be a race driver. Just daydreaming...

I became an official Nalby fan after the Shanghai Master's Cup 2005 final and joined MTF. Before that match,I thought Nalbandian was just mediocre. After that,I noticed on his day,he's capable to beat anyone. Hope the guy won't let me down in 2008...

Good luck with the wedding,Claudia,and have a happy marriage. Never thought you were elder than me.
's up, Evan?
Old 01-04-2008, 05:03 PM   #53
country flag justClaudia

justClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeChuck View Post
Definately . Many people who have met me have been surprised to come across a North American who likes proper football so much. Which team do you support?

Wow it's a small world huh . Yes I was on holiday in Portugal and booked tickets months in advance. In the Ferrero match, it was weird because I had been a fan of him since RG 2000, and was initially cheering for him, but not long into the match I took a shine to his opponent and began to root for him. Did you get to see his final against Nieminen live?

It's great to meet you too Claudia. Congratulations for your engagement and the wedding which you are planning.

Yes indeed it is surprising, lol.

the team I support is Sporting Lisbon, actually I don't remember not watching football in my life you know, in fact (& I don't remember many things of my childhood or at least before a certain age) but I do remember beeing around 4 years old and beeing at some football stadium cheering for some team. later I realised that was Sporting, lol.
of course it was, my whole family is a Sportinguista, as we say here.

About David, it's funny you say that because before that Ferrero match not many people knew about him, and pretty much everyone on that court was cheering for Juan Carlos, as he is very well known here & is friends with the organization of the tournament, even I was going for Juan Carlos to be honest.

but in the end I think David won a couple of fans, us included, haha. Yes, I was at the final. the first final I saw him playing, lovely.

and thanks, I'm nervous.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:06 PM   #54
country flag justClaudia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schu View Post
Hi everyone . Nice to meet David's fans.

My name is Ann and I too am in the over 30 club, just how much over, I'll never tell . I like to play and watch tennis, read and listen to music but don't get to do any of those as much as I like because work gets in the way far too often. My work - right now I coordinate educational conferences for a Law School and before that I worked in Marketing/Public relations for a hospital. My educational background is in business; I have a Masters in Business Administration.

I started to be a fan of David's after his really close match (which he lost) against Hewitt at the AO in 2005, or was it 2004 (I'm so old I can't remember the year). Hewitt was a real jerk and David was sooo cool dealing with his jerky opponent and the crowd. I just love the way David plays - like a chess match. My other favorite player is Gasquet who hooked me after his amazing, cramping up match at the 2006 US Open (which he lost) against guess who - Hewitt. I guess I'm just a sucker for extremely talented, good looking, headcase tennis players.

I hope we will all be able to celebrate many victories with David in 2008 and at least one Grand Slam. If no slam, then at least many victories over Roger and Rafa. But David CAN win a slam and this is his year to do it.

Oh and YES, the ads in the middle of the threads drive me NUTS too. If they start flashing, I'll probably smash my laptop.
Ann, nice to meet you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skykisser View Post

Evan, hi & thanks.

how old you thought I was anyway?
Old 01-04-2008, 05:12 PM   #55
country flag gooner88

gooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a bit late entering this thread but here goes.....
My cyberspace name is gooner88 as you all know. I'm 22, massive Arsenal fan (that's a football/soccer team to anyone who doesn't know) and I'm currently unemployed. I left my previous job in banking after a year to look for something fresh. It was my first big job after graduating.
Been a fan of David's game after his run to the Wimbledon final in 2002 and always look out for his results. Nearly everyone on this forum is kind and I always like reading the views of all Nalbo fans.
gooner88 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 05:20 PM   #56
country flag justClaudia

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooner88 View Post
My cyberspace name is gooner88 as you all know. I'm 22, massive Arsenal fan (that's a football/soccer team to anyone who doesn't know) and I'm currently unemployed. I left my previous job in banking after a year to look for something fresh. It was my first big job after graduating.
Been a fan of David's game after his run to the Wimbledon final in 2002 and always look out for his results. Nearly everyone on this forum is kind and I always like reading the views of all Nalbo fans.
Mr Gunner, finally. good to see you here.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:37 PM   #57
country flag gooner88

gooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond reputegooner88 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Mr Gunner, finally. good to see you here.

Well done also to you, Tiff and everyone for updating the forum. I think it was needed.
gooner88 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 05:43 PM   #58
country flag justClaudia

Quote:

Well done also to you, Tiff and everyone for updating the forum. I think it was needed.
David deserved a pweety place, yeah.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:59 PM   #59
country flag sigmagirl91
Miss Thang

Quote:
Glad to see you post. I used to work in banking as well. Hated it.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:10 PM   #60
country flag bittertea

bittertea has a reputation beyond reputebittertea has a reputation beyond reputebittertea has a reputation beyond reputebittertea has a reputation beyond reputebittertea has a reputation beyond reputebittertea has a reputation beyond reputebittertea has a reputation beyond reputebittertea has a reputation beyond reputebittertea has a reputation beyond reputebittertea has a reputation beyond reputebittertea has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
massive Arsenal fan (that's a football/soccer team to anyone who doesn't know)
Fellow Arsenal supporter here!
Partly the reason why I moved to North London.
bittertea is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote