Premium users and its (dis)advantages - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-31-2007, 08:17 PM   #16
country flag Jelena

Jelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Premium users and its (dis)advantages

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerine_dream View Post
I guess I'll consider my premium membership a small donation to MTF for the four years I have enjoyed this place ad- and trouble-free before it became ruined with their "upgrades" that now gives us annoying ads, kontera/intellitext, "premium" membership that isn't so premium, endless error messages, inaccessable photo galleries, duplicate or missing posts, slow-as-molasses server, and general everyday frustration when trying to have a simple conversation which is next to impossible now, as Interlaken put so aptly a while ago:

I remember that pic. It was in a time when it was really nearly impossible to post 2 posts in five mins. But now it's getting ridiculous in another part of mtf. There are people PAYING for something that brings them effectively nearly nothing in advantage to non-paying users. And that is simply unfair. That brings and already some time ago brought me to the conclusion that I wouldn't give a single penny for mtf. Reading what "year-long" premium users write, I doubt that many of them will prolounge their paying membership in the time when the membership expires. That should be something to bother the staff around Steve, but seeing that they don't react at all, I don't know if they care at all.

favourites in other sports: Bolo Zenden, Bobo Gille and Tiago Camilo

A link to positive and encouraging music: K-Love My blog in German
Mikey, you're missed
on a mission
Jelena is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2007, 09:09 PM   #17
country flag FilipeMB
why did I pay for premium

FilipeMB has a reputation beyond reputeFilipeMB has a reputation beyond reputeFilipeMB has a reputation beyond reputeFilipeMB has a reputation beyond reputeFilipeMB has a reputation beyond reputeFilipeMB has a reputation beyond reputeFilipeMB has a reputation beyond reputeFilipeMB has a reputation beyond reputeFilipeMB has a reputation beyond reputeFilipeMB has a reputation beyond reputeFilipeMB has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I guess I'll consider my premium membership a small donation to MTF for the four years I have enjoyed this place ad- and trouble-free before it became ruined with their "upgrades" that now gives us annoying ads, kontera/intellitext, "premium" membership that isn't so premium, endless error messages, inaccessable photo galleries, duplicate or missing posts, slow-as-molasses server, and general everyday frustration when trying to have a simple conversation which is next to impossible now, as Interlaken put so aptly a while ago:

I mean, I considered the premium membership as a donation for MTF for being this receptive place that it has been to me. But I want something more. And I believe PHP and SQL code is not too hard to verify if the user is premium user or not and then make available a lay-out in user cp without the ads...
FilipeMB is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 09:10 PM   #18
country flag FilipeMB

FilipeMB has a reputation beyond reputeFilipeMB has a reputation beyond reputeFilipeMB has a reputation beyond reputeFilipeMB has a reputation beyond reputeFilipeMB has a reputation beyond reputeFilipeMB has a reputation beyond reputeFilipeMB has a reputation beyond reputeFilipeMB has a reputation beyond reputeFilipeMB has a reputation beyond reputeFilipeMB has a reputation beyond reputeFilipeMB has a reputation beyond repute

Please click on our ads if you want DecoTurf Tennis Courts. I mean, less than 0.0001% of our users are club owners .

What a nice link-

http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com...30329537&nm=22
Old 12-31-2007, 09:35 PM   #19
country flag jayjay

jayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

jayjay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 09:38 PM   #20
country flag El Legenda
Not a Registered User

El Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond repute

how long does a 1 year membership last?
because mine has been going since summer 2005
Old 12-31-2007, 09:42 PM   #21
country flag FilipeMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Seinfeld View Post
how long does a 1 year membership last?
because mine has been going since summer 2005
Old 01-01-2008, 11:48 AM   #22
country flag Kolya

Kolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond repute

Does this problem occur with the 2007 layout style or with the blue as well?
Old 01-01-2008, 02:18 PM   #23
country flag Neely
-

Neely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena View Post
I remember that pic. It was in a time when it was really nearly impossible to post 2 posts in five mins. But now it's getting ridiculous in another part of mtf.
Sure, it's annoying for us all but my guess is that such things will always happen again becauses it's an enormous job to keep such a website running without almost any fix revenues. I don't believe all people realize how big it really is as you don't get any far with such offers from hosting companies you sometimes find in magazines where you get webspace with 10GB traffic/month for 19.99€ or so Such a site needs much more, especially more CPUs, CPU power and RAM because almost every page request sent to users is dynamic, and these can be many per minute if you only calculate every user/guest is updating a page once per minute. And the amount of request sent to a server of this site is quite a lot, also consider live score threads which are refreshed many many times. Not to mention server-based scripts, the search function, etc.

All that said, it is of course still annoying for us, and as I said already, I also think that premium uses would not deserve to view ads; and I hope that the "remove advertisements" link will work properly. But don't be too mad if you can't post twice in five minutes for some days or if the server has a complete brainfart for some days, it's really a lot behind it.

Best of luck to all Germans : Nicolas Kiefer | Rainer Schüttler | Lars | Florian | Tommy
Neely is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 02:50 PM   #24
country flag FilipeMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely View Post
and these can be many per minute if you only calculate every user/guest is updating a page once per minute.
I don't believe it's the best idea for the forum but what about close ability to read the forum for the guest. I mean, forums with a lot of traffic must do that, no?
And I'm asking for a change for users who supports the site, who gives the money to keep the site running because I believe less than 5% of MTF users clicks on these ads. I click on it sometimes in order to support the website or by mistake.
I believe people would be quite interessed on paying 10 dollars a year or 25 for a life-time security that they won't have their space hassared by ads.
Old 01-01-2008, 03:21 PM   #25
country flag Jelena

Jelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Sure, it's annoying for us all but my guess is that such things will always happen again becauses it's an enormous job to keep such a website running without almost any fix revenues. I don't believe all people realize how big it really is as you don't get any far with such offers from hosting companies you sometimes find in magazines where you get webspace with 10GB traffic/month for 19.99€ or so Such a site needs much more, especially more CPUs, CPU power and RAM because almost every page request sent to users is dynamic, and these can be many per minute if you only calculate every user/guest is updating a page once per minute. And the amount of request sent to a server of this site is quite a lot, also consider live score threads which are refreshed many many times. Not to mention server-based scripts, the search function, etc.

All that said, it is of course still annoying for us, and as I said already, I also think that premium uses would not deserve to view ads; and I hope that the "remove advertisements" link will work properly. But don't be too mad if you can't post twice in five minutes for some days or if the server has a complete brainfart for some days, it's really a lot behind it.
Maybe you didn't read my post properly. I call it ridiculous that people who pay for the site don't have visibly more service on the site than non paying members have. That is unfair towards them and that's why I called the paying-membership earlier only useful to take the paying members the money out of the pocket. I don't complain I don't have no ads, I only say that in midst of the thread page they are very annoying as they make you think that it was the last post. But if I paid to be member of a site I would call it the least service to have if not no ads, then at least considerable less ads. But to read that members who pay for a membership have the same amount of ads and that they have the same problems non paying members have is not really an encouragement for not yet paying users to consider buying a membership. I also fear that many of the paying members, who paid only a "year-long" membership won't extend their membership. So that will make the running costs even more expensive. What will happen then? Will we have 5 ads between every post on a thread? That is what I meant and what I thought of.

favourites in other sports: Bolo Zenden, Bobo Gille and Tiago Camilo

A link to positive and encouraging music: K-Love My blog in German
Mikey, you're missed
on a mission
Jelena is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 03:36 PM   #26
country flag Tytta!.
(:

Tytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Ok, right. I know how expensive it must be to run this site. But it has so many people visiting, why not make, for example, guests sign up to be able to read the threads/forums? Lots of traffic would be saved for those who actually have a membership, paid or not. Anyway, the point is: all we premium members are asking is a little respect and attention for the money we got to HELP you paying for servers/CPUs/RAM/etc. You don't need to take off all ads fur us, but at least 90% of them. Otherwise I don't think people will want to get a premium membership. I mean, what's good about it? A bigger avatar, a picture in a signature. Who cares about this when you can barely keep up with the forum with these ads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena View Post
Maybe you didn't read my post properly. I call it ridiculous that people who pay for the site don't have visibly more service on the site than non paying members have. That is unfair towards them and that's why I called the paying-membership earlier only useful to take the paying members the money out of the pocket. I don't complain I don't have no ads, I only say that in midst of the thread page they are very annoying as they make you think that it was the last post. But if I paid to be member of a site I would call it the least service to have if not no ads, then at least considerable less ads. But to read that members who pay for a membership have the same amount of ads and that they have the same problems non paying members have is not really an encouragement for not yet paying users to consider buying a membership. I also fear that many of the paying members, who paid only a "year-long" membership won't extend their membership. So that will make the running costs even more expensive. What will happen then? Will we have 5 ads between every post on a thread? That is what I meant and what I thought of.
Agreed, Lena.
Tytta!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 04:06 PM   #27
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

I tolerate the ads because Firefox's adblocker puts them away for me, but I wanna be able to change my username back!!
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 04:12 PM   #28
country flag Tytta!.
(:

Tytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond repute

I do have it too but still not fair
Tytta!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 11:00 PM   #29
country flag Baghdatis72
2011 Here we go again!

Baghdatis72 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis72 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis72 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis72 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis72 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis72 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis72 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis72 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis72 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis72 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis72 has a reputation beyond repute

I sense a clever scheme here by the people behind the addition of the new ads.

My theory is the following:

They wanted to make more money by adding more ads and getting more users but that was contradicting each other. To solve the problem they changed the vcash system so that you gain vcash by posting anywhere on the forum to lure more users and keep the current ones active while at the same time they added the ads.

The result was a minimal or even maybe non existent decrease in posters and posts while at the same time the revenue from the ads increased.

Think about it

The Present - The Past
Baghdatis72 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 11:07 PM   #30
country flag adee-gee
_._._._._._

adee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughes View Post
I tolerate the ads because Firefox's adblocker puts them away for me, but I wanna be able to change my username back!!
I know the feeling

I'm not a lawyer, but surely advertising the premium membership and saying you get several benefits, then withdrawing them after members have paid can't be strictly legal.
adee-gee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote