Benazir Bhutto 'dies after rally blast' - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-27-2007, 07:36 PM   #31
country flag Castafiore

Castafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Benazir Bhutto 'dies after rally blast'

Oh, don't get me wrong. I agree that Bhutto's murder was "inevitable" as soon as she set foot in Pakistan.

Going back to Fortuyn: he received several death threats before his murder and he was known as a high security risk. He knew that he was taking risks, his friends urged him to be careful. But he made it clear that he was not going to act like a scared little boy and they were not going to stop him from pursuing his political goals. He was killed by one person acting alone but he has received death threats from various sources. Sounds a bit familiar perhaps?

Fortuyn's murder did not change the country all that much but it's left its scars in their society IMO: it's still a democracy. It's still a great country known for free speech but it has made quite a few people there much more aware of the possible consequences of free speech when being faced with people who don't really support and/or understand the notion of free speech.
This was even more sharply underlined by the brutal killing of Theo Van Gogh not that long after Fortuyn's murder followed by a death threat on Ayaan Hirsi Ali.

Ayaan Hirsi Ali will be at high risk as soon as she goes to a rally without her protection. She knows that it's in her best interest to keep a low profile.
I don't quite understand why Bhutto took all those risks. She refused a bullet proof vest for example and she went to a public event to which a high number of people were going to come which is a security nightmare. Why did she take those risks? This day and age, there are other ways of getting a message across.

Last edited by Castafiore : 12-27-2007 at 07:42 PM.
Castafiore is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2007, 08:09 PM   #32
country flag Fee

Fee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for adding more information.

I don't know why Bhutto made those decisions about her personal safety, I would hate to think that she also felt her death/matrydom was inevitable and just decided to accept it.

There are politicians in the US who regularly receive death threats, it is the main reason that Colin Powell decided not to run for President, and although no one has really discussed it, I'm very curious to know just how many threats Barrack Obama gets every day for his Presidential campaign. There will always be one freak out there (John Hinckley/Ronald Reagan) who feels compelled to act out for whatever reason.

@dougrobson - Whoever is supplying Mahut with hair gel needs to ink a sponsorship deal now.

@Wimbledon - FYI, with @Wimbledon live scoring devices, please add 50 to the games in the fifth set of the Isner v Mahut match.

@HolterMedia - Nice to see that a three-day test has come to tennis here @wimbledon.

Andy wearring Crocs, courtesy of Smitty8
Fee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 08:24 PM   #33
country flag Julio1974

Julio1974 has a reputation beyond reputeJulio1974 has a reputation beyond reputeJulio1974 has a reputation beyond reputeJulio1974 has a reputation beyond reputeJulio1974 has a reputation beyond reputeJulio1974 has a reputation beyond reputeJulio1974 has a reputation beyond reputeJulio1974 has a reputation beyond reputeJulio1974 has a reputation beyond reputeJulio1974 has a reputation beyond reputeJulio1974 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
The world needs to unite and Nuke the Waziristan region.... Enough Already

Its time for the GOOD to kick the living SHIT of evil
Americans like you explain the existence of people like mtw. What a retarded comment !!
Old 12-27-2007, 08:30 PM   #34
country flag Fee

Fee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond repute

Julio, I'm not sure ANYTHING explains the existence of mtw but yes, it was definitely a fairly ignorant post.

@dougrobson - Whoever is supplying Mahut with hair gel needs to ink a sponsorship deal now.

@Wimbledon - FYI, with @Wimbledon live scoring devices, please add 50 to the games in the fifth set of the Isner v Mahut match.

@HolterMedia - Nice to see that a three-day test has come to tennis here @wimbledon.

Andy wearring Crocs, courtesy of Smitty8
Fee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 08:44 PM   #35
country flag Julio1974

Julio1974 has a reputation beyond reputeJulio1974 has a reputation beyond reputeJulio1974 has a reputation beyond reputeJulio1974 has a reputation beyond reputeJulio1974 has a reputation beyond reputeJulio1974 has a reputation beyond reputeJulio1974 has a reputation beyond reputeJulio1974 has a reputation beyond reputeJulio1974 has a reputation beyond reputeJulio1974 has a reputation beyond reputeJulio1974 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fee View Post
Julio, I'm not sure ANYTHING explains the existence of mtw but yes, it was definitely a fairly ignorant post.
You are right. Nothing can explain her existence.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:55 PM   #36
country flag cobalt60
Pacific Northwest Home

cobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cat Lady View Post
Me too. Certain people here moan a lot about the UK (and the US) and other Western countries, but at least we are free to voice our opinions, and our elections are decided by the ballot box, not the bullet. She was brave - sadly her end was tragic but inevitable.
Totally agree; as usual.
cobalt60 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 09:05 PM   #37
country flag R.Federer

R.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castafiore View Post
I don't quite understand why Bhutto took all those risks. She refused a bullet proof vest for example and she went to a public event to which a high number of people were going to come which is a security nightmare. Why did she take those risks? This day and age, there are other ways of getting a message across.
I think she might have worn a bulletproof vest. I also think that the assassin expected she was and so, went for the neck and head.

There was no safe place left for her. She was discouraged from even having a security detail or using tinted glass on her car it has been reported. When the ISI and possibly the government and most likely Al-Qaeda has your number, it was about delaying the inevitable. She would have had to leave Pak and go back to Dubai to have a chance to be safe.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:08 PM   #38
country flag cobalt60
Pacific Northwest Home

cobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If I could rep you I would.
cobalt60 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 09:13 PM   #39
Snowwy

Snowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe Im missing something here but why is it sad that a lady twice removed from presidency due to her corruption is assassinated?
Old 12-27-2007, 09:18 PM   #40
country flag R.Federer

R.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowwy View Post
Maybe Im missing something here but why is it sad that a lady twice removed from presidency due to her corruption is assassinated?
It was Zardari not she who was (allegedly) behind any corruption.
And then, is assassination an equal measure for corruption even if it was she who was behind it?
Old 12-27-2007, 09:31 PM   #41
Snowwy

Snowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Federer View Post
It was Zardari not she who was (allegedly) behind any corruption.
Okay, my bad.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:44 PM   #42
country flag Sparko1030

Sparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond repute

Very sad news, not all that surprising though. She was a brave woman who died for her country. I hope democracy will prevail yet in Pakistan....

FERNANDO GONZALEZ

Best Wishes to: Marcos~Janko~Ivan~Marat~Lucho~Rafa~Tommy H
Gaston-best of luck in whatever you decide to do.

"Its hard to argue against cynics-they always sound smarter than optimists because they have so much evidence on their side." Molly Ivins, 1944-2007
Sparko1030 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 12:43 AM   #43
country flag Mimi

Mimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond reputeMimi has a reputation beyond repute

was she murdered by the present prime minister ?

Epic movies, like brokeback mountain, are seldom found in the industry or worthy for the mainstream viewer. As often as I have watched the clips of this movie, I always find something more to it. For one, the gay stuff doesn't enter the picture for me, only the dimension of the highest love I have ever witnessed in life or on film.
Mimi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 01:16 AM   #44
country flag partygirl

partygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I would hate to think that she also felt her death/martyrdom was inevitable and just decided to accept it.
Its very interesting, that a select number of people in the reigon would try to martyr themselves by murdering others and one might try to make a difference knowing fully that those others would bring martyrdom to you, sooner or later.

Its so Fucked up.
The whole mentality of violence is so awful, bad for the people who grow up to perpetrate it & even worse for those who live with it so much it becomes their lives.

Last edited by partygirl : 12-28-2007 at 01:33 AM.
partygirl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 01:34 AM   #45
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Atrocious. Here's Death to Democracy, once again.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote