No down under season in 2008 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-24-2007, 02:36 PM   #1
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute
Default No down under season in 2008

(Maybe I should stop starting these threads since he didn't play one single tournament last time I opened a thread for the indoor season...)

Anyway, he was supposed to play the Hopman Cup with Tati, but I just saw that his name has been replaced by Arnaud in the schedule, I don't know why.
On the other hand, he said months ago he had to wait until mid December to practice again because of his wrist, so playing the Hopman Cup seemed too rushed indeed.
We'll wait one more week - one week more or less is no big deal at this stage...

He has entered Sydney before the AO.

Last edited by Truc : 01-02-2008 at 03:53 PM.
Truc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2007, 02:41 PM   #2
country flag krystlel

krystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Down under season 2008

Here's an article from The Daily Telegraph that is fairly recent:
Quote:
Monfils Break Dances To Sydney

By Nikki Tugwell

December 21, 2007 12:00am

BREAK-DANCING, burger-loving tennis contortionist Gael Monfils breathed life into the Australian Open with his exhilarating second-round victory over 2006 finalist Marcos Baghdatis in January.

Now the rubber-limbed Frenchman is heading to Sydney to launch his 2008 campaign at the January 6-12 Medibank International at Homebush.

Monfils showcased tennis as an extreme sport in January, with his unique on-court style that involves sliding, leaping and the splits.

The mercurial world No. 38 has beaten Andy Roddick, Lleyton Hewitt, Nikolay Davydenko and Tommy Robredo in this past year and is hoping the Australian summer can yield more success.

He rates the victory over Baghdatis that brought him instant cult status in Australia as one of his finest hours.

"It was a great win since I had just split up with my coach," Monfils said.

"Not only I had to compete against Marcos but also the Melbourne Park stadium cheering for him. I played a great match that day and this is certainly one of my best memories in tennis."

Within the space of 48 hours, though, the split personality of Monfils was on show as he followed up his flamboyant win against Baghdatis with an inhibited display against compatriot and friend Richard Gasquet.

Monfils tends to play his best tennis when he expresses himself on the court but denies he was overwhelmed by the hype around him.

"This is definitely part of my personality and I like sharing emotions with the crowd," he said.

"I simply enjoy the moment . . . players say they only play their best tennis 10 per cent of the year if not less. Still it is important to learn how to win even when you don't play your best game."

Monfils acquired a season-ending wrist injury in Bucharest in September but still finished in the top 50 for the third straight year. He is one of seven Frenchmen competing at the Medibank International next month - along with Gasquet, Paul Henri-Mathieu, Gilles Simon, Fabrice Santoro, Jo-Wilfred Tsonga and Nicolas Mahut.

"Sydney will be my first tournament on the Tour since Bucharest and my wrist injury," Monfils said. "I'm looking forward to playing again and this also marks the beginning of my new association with long-time coach Thierry Champion."
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...012689,00.html
krystlel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 04:44 AM   #3
country flag krystlel

krystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond repute

It's a different injury it seems, tendonitis in the knee.

Quote:
Clement replaces Monfils
December 26, 2007

VETERAN Frenchman Arnaud Clement will partner Tatiana Golovin at the mixed teams Hopman Cup in Perth from this weekend.

Golovin was to have been partnered by explosive 21-year-old Gael Monfils, but he has succumbed to a knee problem and was forced to withdraw from the tournament, throwing his subsequent Australian Open campaign into doubt.

Monfils, who has battled several injuries during his short career, cited tendinitis in a knee when informing Hopman Cup officials of his decision.

Although seeded No.4 for the Hopman Cup, the French duo of Golovin and Monfils had been considered a strong chance of upsetting the No.1 seeds, Novak Djokovic and Jelena Jankovic, from Serbia.

Agence France-Presse
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...-23216,00.html
krystlel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 09:08 AM   #4
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

Thansk for the articles, krystlel.
As for me, I'll only get worried if he pulls out of Sydney too - they had to give a reason for his withdrawal anyway and a few things make me wonder if he really intended to play the Hopman Cup.
It looks like he hasn't talked to French journalists since the Champion story (TM wrote even his agent and the rest of his team couldn't get in touch with him anymore), so there are no news at all in France.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:29 AM   #5
country flag Truc

Finally some news in L’Equipe:
Quote:
Monfils à l’arrêt
TANDIS QUE la plupart des joueurs françaisont déjà posé leurs sacs sur les sols australien (Adélaïde), indien (Chennai) ou qatarien (Doha), Gaël Monfils, lui, est encore à la maison. Souffrant d’une tendinite au genou, il a préféré différer son vol pour Perth, où il devait disputer à partir de samedi la Hopman Cup, compétition mixte par équipes nationales, en compagnie de Tatiana Golovin. Remplacé au pied levé par Arnaud Clément, Monfils n’est cependant pas totalement en arrêt de travail. « Gaël a repris l’entraînement crescendo, il y a une quinzaine de jours, confiait hier Thierry Champion, son coach. Et comme il n’avait pas joué depuis trois mois (une blessure au poignet le tenait éloigné des courts depuis le mois de septembre), de petites douleurs sont apparues. Par sagesse, on a décidé de supprimer le premier tournoi. » Reste que l’absence de travail foncier à l’intersaison risque de faire cruellement défaut au Français pour la tournée australienne. « C’est emmerdant, mais je prends mon mal en patience, disait hier l’intéressé. Je vais essayer de reprendre à Sydney, ça va être juste. Faudra voir si j’arrive à supporter des charges lourdes d’ici là… Pour l’instant, je peux jouer tout doucement, sans forcer. » « Je comptais sur cette semaine pour hausser le niveau d’intensité de l’entraînement, regrettait Champion. Gaël sera forcément juste au niveau cardio pour l’Australie, mais l’essentiel, c’est qu’il puisse jouer sans douleur. » – R. L.
He’s still in Paris and he's training, but not at full intensity.
He started training again 2 weeks ago only because of the wrist injury, as expected, and since he hadn’t played for 3 months, he felt "small pains" according to Champion. So they preferred to be careful and skip the Hopman Cup.
The lack of physical training will be a problem for the Australian season. Gaël means it sucks, but he needs to be patient. He’ll try to play in Sydney, but he has to see if he’s able to withstand sustained efforts. Right now, he can play "gently", while Champion was planning to increase the training intensity this week. So the condition training will be barely enough for Australia, but the most important thing is to be able to play without pain.

Last edited by Truc : 12-30-2007 at 12:37 PM.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:50 AM   #6
country flag lisaplenske

lisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond repute

poor gael,some physical problems AGAIN

hopefully he will recover slowly and do what he can in the AO.
He really has to be prudent now.
Allez courage. Sad cause I wanted to see him back in Perth healthy and competing for France in the Hopman cup.

Thanks for the infos.

Tsonga - Simon - Monfils - Mathieu - Chardy - Baghdatis
Mannarino - Safin - Santoro - Gulbis- Nishikori
lisaplenske is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 07:47 PM   #7
country flag The Freak

The Freak has a reputation beyond reputeThe Freak has a reputation beyond reputeThe Freak has a reputation beyond reputeThe Freak has a reputation beyond reputeThe Freak has a reputation beyond reputeThe Freak has a reputation beyond reputeThe Freak has a reputation beyond reputeThe Freak has a reputation beyond reputeThe Freak has a reputation beyond reputeThe Freak has a reputation beyond reputeThe Freak has a reputation beyond repute

Get well soon Gael and let's hope for no injuries in 2008.

Tim Henman--Gael Monfils--James Blake--Rafael Nadal--Jo-Wilfried Tsonga--John Isner--Janko Tipsarevic--Juan Martin Del Potro--Donald Young--Richard Gasquet.

The Freak is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 01:12 PM   #8
country flag Truc

He has pulled out of Sydney and the AO according to http://www.tennisteen.it:
http://www.tennisteen.it/notizie/ent...naio-2008.html
http://www.tennisteen.it/notizie/ent...naio-2008.html
Old 01-02-2008, 01:37 PM   #9
country flag higherlaw

higherlaw has a reputation beyond reputehigherlaw has a reputation beyond reputehigherlaw has a reputation beyond reputehigherlaw has a reputation beyond reputehigherlaw has a reputation beyond reputehigherlaw has a reputation beyond reputehigherlaw has a reputation beyond reputehigherlaw has a reputation beyond reputehigherlaw has a reputation beyond reputehigherlaw has a reputation beyond reputehigherlaw has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truc View Post
Too bad. Thanks for the update.
higherlaw is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 03:53 PM   #10
country flag Truc

I haven't seen anything yet in the French media, the official reason seems to be his wrist again according to the entry list thread.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:54 PM   #11
country flag *julie*

*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No down under season in 2008

That is sad. He is really unlucky.
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
*julie* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 01:37 PM   #12
country flag Puschkin

Puschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by *julie* View Post
That is sad. He is really unlucky.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Puschkin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 09:57 PM   #13
country flag Truc

They finally made the withdrawal public today – it was about time, what a scoop! - and Hagelauer says it's because of his knee.
http://www.lemonde.fr/web/depeches/0...22@7-37,0.html

I hope we will have some more information now that the embargo on the news is lifted...
Old 01-08-2008, 07:03 AM   #14
country flag Truc

Quote:
Monfils, adieu l’Australie
Toujours blessé au genou gauche, le jeune Français ne jouera ni à Sydney ni à Melbourne. Il devrait reprendre à Marseille. SYDNEY – de notre envoyé spécial
SON NOM a d’un coup disparu du tableau du tournoi de Sydney qui devait constituer à la fois sa date de reprise et le lancement de l’épisode II de son couple avec Thierry Champion. Mais où était donc passé Gaël Monfils ? C’est à la fois simple et triste. Il est toujours à Paris et ne viendra ni ici ni à l’Open d’Australie. Joint hier au téléphone, Thierry Champion justifia l’absence. « Le 31 décembre, la veille de s’envoler pour Sydney, à la fin du dernier entraînement, Gaël se plaignait encore d’une gêne au genou gauche. Il traînait ça depuis un moment, mais là, par sécurité, je l’ai envoyé passer une IRM (imagerie par résonance magnétique). L’examen a décelé une inflammation du tendon rotulien gauche. Le docteur Montalvan (médecin de la Fédération française) lui a conseillé de ne pas partir. Il lui a aussi dit qu’il avait besoin de dix jours de repos. Donc adieu Sydney et adieu l’Open d’Australie. » Le lieu et la date du retour de Monfils sur le circuit sont donc repoussés au tournoi de Marseille en février. « Quand on a appris la mauvaise nouvelle, nous étions tous les deux abattus, reconnaît Champion. Mais, avec le recul, je me dis que c’est un mal pour un bien ; Gaël va pouvoir soigner ce problème une fois pour toutes. » Monfils n’a plus joué sur le circuit depuis son abandon au Challenger de Szczecin, en Pologne, fin septembre. Il n’avait pu reprendre l’entraînement que la deuxième semaine de décembre, une fois calmée une tendinite au poignet gauche. « Et encore, au début, il ne faisait que vingt minutes par jour, que des revers, pour voir si ça tenait », précise son entraîneur. C’est plus bas que ça n’a pas tenu. – F. Be.
The day before leaving for Sydney (31.12), he was still feeling something in the knee. The MRI showed an inflammation of the left patellar sinew. The FFT doctor recommended to not go to Australia and take 10 days off. They both were very down when they heard the news, but Champion now thinks that it's a necessary evil and they will definitely get rid of the problem that way.
He was quite out of practice anyway, Champion says that when he started practicing again in the 2nd week of December, he could only play 20 minutes every day because of his wrist (just testing if it was standing up to it).
He sounds confident for Marseille though.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:16 AM   #15
country flag Ome

Ome has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond repute

Inflammation of patellar tendon At least the MRI result didn't show any rupture...

Very unlucky. Hope he will fully recover real soon