2014 Player Review - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-11-2014, 02:15 AM   #1
country flag Chris.

Chris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond repute
Default 2014 Player Review

Since im bored and its almost the off season I am going to post reviews of the Aussie players for this season.
Chris. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2014, 02:21 AM   #2
country flag Chris.

Chris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2014 Player Review

Lleyton Hewitt

2013 End of year ranking: 60
2014 End of year ranking: 49

2014 Highlights: WON: Brisbane Newport QF: Memphis

Best wins: Roger Federer (6) Kei Nishikori (17)

I would say 2014 was a PASS for Lleyton.
Old 11-11-2014, 02:28 AM   #3
country flag Chris.

Nick Kyrgios

2013 End of year ranking: 182
2014 End of year ranking: 52

2014 Highlights: WON: Sarasota CH Savannah CH Nottingham 2 CH QF: Wimbledon

Best wins: Rafael Nadal (1) Richard Gasquet (14) Mikhail Youzhny (23)

I would say 2014 was a PASS for Nick.
Old 11-11-2014, 02:33 AM   #4
country flag Chris.

Bernard Tomic

2013 End of year ranking: 51
2014 End of year ranking: 56

2014 Highlights: WON: Bogota FINAL: Sydney SF: Stockholm

Best wins: Kevin Anderson (17) Ivo Karlovic (29)

I would say 2014 was a FAIL for Bernard.
Old 11-11-2014, 02:41 AM   #5
country flag Chris.

Marinko Matosevic

2013 End of year ranking: 61
2014 End of year ranking: 74

2014 Highlights: FINAL: Nottingham CH QF: Brisbane Sydney Delray Beach Queens Atlanta Kuala Lumpur

Best wins: Jo-Wilfred Tsonga (17) Fernando Verdasco (24) Andreas Seppi (25)

I would say 2014 is a PASS for Marinko.
Old 11-11-2014, 02:48 AM   #6
country flag Chris.

Sam Groth

2013 End of year ranking: 172
2014 End of year ranking: 75

2014 Highlights: WON: Rimouski CH FINAL: Leon CH Nottingham CH Knoxville CH SF: Newport

Best wins: Nicolas Mahut (59) Donald Young (70)

I would say 2014 was a PASS for Sam.
Old 11-11-2014, 02:49 AM   #7
country flag Chris.

Time for work now more to come later
Old 11-11-2014, 03:42 AM   #8
country flag RustyOz

RustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris. View Post
Bernard Tomic

2013 End of year ranking: 51
2014 End of year ranking: 56
2014 Highlights: WON: Bogota FINAL: Sydney SF: Stockholm
Best wins: Kevin Anderson (17) Ivo Karlovic (29)

I would say 2014 was a FAIL for Bernard.
A bit harsh - won an ATP Tour evnt, final of another - maintained his ranking (within 5 places).
You marked Matosevic better and he dropped further in ranking, and did not win an ATP title.

But we do expect more from Bernard - hopefully next year, but I still would give him a PASS
Old 11-11-2014, 04:21 AM   #9
country flag Kateoz

Kateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond repute

Great thread idea but I'd like to see some grades, not just a pass/fail!

Bernardus for example seems to me like perhaps a C- (yes he got a title but that doesn't make up for a couple of truly appalling performances) rather than an outright fail; MM perhaps a B-; Kyrgios B+ (would be an A if he hadn't taken half the year off!). Hewitt get a B?
Kateoz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 08:57 AM   #10
country flag aussie_fan

aussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, grades are a better way to do it, here's my ones for the one's so far:

Hewitt : C+ : Two titles are great but really it's all about the slams for Lleyton and the results were disappointing. They have may been tough draws but the Janowicz loss was a huge opportunity let slip, it isn't going to get better than that honestly (ok, maybe the draw in 2013 when he lost to Dustin Brown). Still in the World Group for another year and that's the focus for Lleyton now.

Kyrgios: A+ : New kid on the block, beating Nadal on centre court at Wimbledon to make the quarters, that's an automatic A+ in my view. I think you pretty much ignore the rest of the year, the results weren't that abd but he was never going to match what happened at Wimby, his game is still developing with his body already having injury issues it may take a while for him to get where we hope him to be. 2015 will be interesting, hopefully there is a good schedule set out for him.

Tomic : C : I find it hard to grade Tomic because putting expectation is tough with his situation, i fully expect him to randomly disappear or something, his win in Bogota saves his year and there was the injury issues but we still don't know, does he care? Appraently only in Bogota.

Matosevic: B- : I guess he achived his expectation this year, winning a match at a slam. He won two in fact. He certainly he could be more if he was stronger mentally, the backhand is world class. Sucha shame and it's going to be interesting to see where goes from here, improving confidence in youself is the toughest thing to do. Hopefully a big year for him next year.

Groth : A : Great job in making the top 100, that's pretty much the highest expectations I had for Sam and top 100 was the ultimate goal for him, a lot of good results in challengers, getting to play at Wimby and then winning a match in New York to play federer under lights on Ashe. Plus, a lot of great results in doubles. I hope he keeps driving himself, he's in the top 100 now how long can he stay there.
aussie_fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 11:39 AM   #11
country flag Kateoz

Kateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond reputeKateoz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Groth : A : Great job in making the top 100, that's pretty much the highest expectations I had for Sam and top 100 was the ultimate goal for him, a lot of good results in challengers, getting to play at Wimby and then winning a match in New York to play federer under lights on Ashe. Plus, a lot of great results in doubles. I hope he keeps driving himself, he's in the top 100 now how long can he stay there.
I think he has the capacity to get and stay in the top 50 - some things he needs to work on, but could have been higher ranked this year if not for some withdrawals from three rounds of qualies due to doubles finals.

A few more tournies or good run in Oz season to get up his singles rank sufficiently high to avoid that problem and will build a virtuous circle for him. And if he and Gooch can overcome that tendency to choke, could go a long way up in doubles too: already this year moved from winning challengers to 250 wins/2 finals plus a 500 final.
Kateoz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 09:01 PM   #12
country flag Chris.

James Duckworth

2013 End of year ranking: 136
2014 End of year ranking: 132
2014 Highlights: WON: Lexington CH Charlottesville CH FINAL: Santiago CH SF: Westlakes
Best wins: Dudi Sela (107) Go Soeda [B(109)][/b]

I would say 2014 was a PASS just for James. Winning 2 challenger titles and pushing Berdych to 3 sets and Gasquet to 5 sets. Still would have liked James to push a bit more for the top 100.
Old 11-15-2014, 09:12 PM   #13
country flag Chris.

Matthew Ebden

2013 End of year ranking: 68
2014 End of year ranking: 145
2014 Highlights: ROUND 2: Brisbane Australian Open Miami U.S Open
Best wins: Nicolas Mahut (46) Tobias Kamke (73) Lukasz Kubot (81)

2014 was a FAIL without a doubt for Matt. Only winning a total of 5 matches and very poor scheduleing not dropping back to the challenger level.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:04 AM   #14
azza

azza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris. View Post
Matthew Ebden

2013 End of year ranking: 68
2014 End of year ranking: 145
2014 Highlights: ROUND 2: Brisbane Australian Open Miami U.S Open
Best wins: Nicolas Mahut (46) Tobias Kamke (73) Lukasz Kubot (81)

2014 was a FAIL without a doubt for Matt. Only winning a total of 5 matches and very poor scheduleing not dropping back to the challenger level.
His year end ranking will be in the 230's after these asian challengers come off in the next few weeks
Old 11-16-2014, 02:30 AM   #15
country flag Sam21

Sam21 has a reputation beyond reputeSam21 has a reputation beyond reputeSam21 has a reputation beyond reputeSam21 has a reputation beyond reputeSam21 has a reputation beyond reputeSam21 has a reputation beyond reputeSam21 has a reputation beyond reputeSam21 has a reputation beyond reputeSam21 has a reputation beyond reputeSam21 has a reputation beyond reputeSam21 has a reputation beyond repute

Ebden even has a few points to defend straight up in Brisbane and Melbourne next year... Without hose 65 points too he'd drop outside the top 300
Sam21 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote