help please? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-08-2008, 10:18 PM   #1
country flag dvlzadvoket

dvlzadvoket is on a distinguished road
Default help please?

so my two-handed backhand used to be my strength. i could count on it whenever i needed to. but as i got into 10th grade, my backhand was just gone. now my forehand is a lot better but obviously my opponents will hit to my weakness. can i please have some help on how to do a two-handed backhand? sorry if there are other posts about the same thing. and also my kick serve is having trouble. any tips on how to get back on track? i'd really appreciate the help
dvlzadvoket is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2008, 10:18 AM   #2
country flag tennistim

tennistim has a reputation beyond reputetennistim has a reputation beyond reputetennistim has a reputation beyond reputetennistim has a reputation beyond reputetennistim has a reputation beyond reputetennistim has a reputation beyond reputetennistim has a reputation beyond reputetennistim has a reputation beyond reputetennistim has a reputation beyond reputetennistim has a reputation beyond reputetennistim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: help please?

Personally my double handed backhand works best when it is left hand dominated. In practice I sometimes play left handed for 10 mins just to help get by left arm into the stroke.

As far as the kick serve is concerned, one of the best tips I ever heard was that you should hit your 2nd serve harder than your 1st. I'm not talking about the pace of the ball, I'm talking about racket head speed. If you brush the ball correctly on your kick then the more power you put in, the more the ball should spin. When I really want to get my second serve in I swing the racket as fast as I can manage without mis hitting.

In order to get the correct brushing of the ball, you should toss the ball so that it will land behind you. Then if you lean back to hit the ball, it makes it much easier to brush up the back of the ball. It is possible to do with a regular ball toss, but you need to use the wrist to brush it which I find gives less kick.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:12 PM   #3
country flag MacTheKnife
10S NE1

MacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennistim View Post
Personally my double handed backhand works best when it is left hand dominated. In practice I sometimes play left handed for 10 mins just to help get by left arm into the stroke.

As far as the kick serve is concerned, one of the best tips I ever heard was that you should hit your 2nd serve harder than your 1st. I'm not talking about the pace of the ball, I'm talking about racket head speed. If you brush the ball correctly on your kick then the more power you put in, the more the ball should spin. When I really want to get my second serve in I swing the racket as fast as I can manage without mis hitting.

In order to get the correct brushing of the ball, you should toss the ball so that it will land behind you. Then if you lean back to hit the ball, it makes it much easier to brush up the back of the ball. It is possible to do with a regular ball toss, but you need to use the wrist to brush it which I find gives less kick.
Perfect advice. The only thing I would add is really accent the finish.(follow through) Usually when my kicker goes off and the toss is right, the issue is in the finish. Still need heavy accent on the follow through and weight shift into the court.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:54 PM   #4
country flag klinsi

klinsi is on a distinguished road

Yes, the left hand (non dominant hand) is important for two handed backhand)
I find this tennis tip to be useful
http://www.tennisracketbracket.com/t...ckhand_Tip.php
klinsi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote