Twisting quotes from posters is bad behavior - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-02-2007, 12:16 AM   #1
country flag Merton

Merton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Twisting quotes from posters is bad behavior

This is something that really bothers me: Poster X makes a post. Poster Y quotes the post, but edits it, so what she/he quotes is not something poster X wrote. This constitutes purposeful distortion of another poster's thoughts, it is literally an invasion of his/her space. It should be totally unacceptable.

My suggestion is to include in the forum contact the prohibition of editing quotes from other posters changing what they originally wrote. First violation should imply a warning, with a ban following repeated offenses, just like any other contact violation.

There is an obvious practical difficulty if a poster edits his/her post after that has already been quoted. Then obviously the poster who quoted the original post should not be penalized. Thoughts?

From Isaac Asimov's "Foundation".
Merton is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2007, 08:37 PM   #2
country flag World Beater

World Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Twisting quotes from posters is bad behavior

there is also the difficulty of interpreting intention here.

How do you define the intent here?
There are 10^11 stars in the galaxy. That used to be a huge number. But it's only a hundred billion. It's less than the national deficit! We used to call them astronomical numbers. Now we should call them economical numbers.

-Richard Feynman

World Beater is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 09:36 PM   #3
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes you gotta change to make a point... I think it should be obligatory to highlight the change.
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 01:50 PM   #4
country flag Iván
Banned!

Iván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
This is something that really bothers me: Poster X makes a post. Poster Y quotes the post, but edits it, so what she/he quotes is not something poster X wrote. This constitutes purposeful distortion of another poster's thoughts, it is literally an invasion of his/her space. It should be totally unacceptable.

My suggestion is to include in the forum contact the prohibition of editing quotes from other posters changing what they originally wrote. First violation should imply a warning, with a ban following repeated offenses, just like any other contact violation.

There is an obvious practical difficulty if a poster edits his/her post after that has already been quoted. Then obviously the poster who quoted the original post should not be penalized. Thoughts?
Iván is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 02:36 PM   #5
country flag Neely
-

Neely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it IS surely bad behavior if the quote is twisted or edited in a way that it distorts the original meaning of the poster. Most of all if it is used to start a fight.

But reducing a quote to its core or picking out the part of the quote you are especially referring to should be welcomed because it lets your screen appear less full instead of quoting full message which goes over a whole screen page but of 90% is irrelevent for your follow-up post.

If you leave out sentences or parts within your quote, the best way is if you indicate this by (...) or ... so that people see that it was shortened. If you only leave out something before and/or after your quote, but the rest of it is complete, an indication is not necessary then.

If the quote was edited by the original user and the original content was quoted before the changes, of course such behaviour will not be punished then.

I don't think that we need a special rule for it because if somebody would be going around here quoting people wrongly many times and creates fights by doing so, we would also delete this without a specific rule if we see it or get it reported, and it should go without saying that this is wrong.

Are there concrete examples lately that users do post wrong quotes of others? Or were you just asking out of interest, as a precaution or whatever?

Best of luck to all Germans : Nicolas Kiefer | Rainer Schüttler | Lars | Florian | Tommy
Neely is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 04:46 AM   #6
country flag World Beater

World Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond repute

if there is a solution, please implement it.

i can tolerate the insults, the arguments but when posters deliberately distort another poster's views, it becomes irritating.
There are 10^11 stars in the galaxy. That used to be a huge number. But it's only a hundred billion. It's less than the national deficit! We used to call them astronomical numbers. Now we should call them economical numbers.

-Richard Feynman

World Beater is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 01:40 AM   #7
country flag Merton

Merton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely View Post
Yes, it IS surely bad behavior if the quote is twisted or edited in a way that it distorts the original meaning of the poster. Most of all if it is used to start a fight.

But reducing a quote to its core or picking out the part of the quote you are especially referring to should be welcomed because it lets your screen appear less full instead of quoting full message which goes over a whole screen page but of 90% is irrelevent for your follow-up post.

If you leave out sentences or parts within your quote, the best way is if you indicate this by (...) or ... so that people see that it was shortened. If you only leave out something before and/or after your quote, but the rest of it is complete, an indication is not necessary then.
Totally agree there, it happens all the time to quote part of a post, especially if it is only a part where the poster who quotes wants to focus. Even if the original poster feels that quoting a part is unfair to his/her original post he/she can comment on that in turn.

Quote:
I don't think that we need a special rule for it because if somebody would be going around here quoting people wrongly many times and creates fights by doing so, we would also delete this without a specific rule if we see it or get it reported, and it should go without saying that this is wrong.
Thank you, this is fair.

Quote:
Are there concrete examples lately that users do post wrong quotes of others? Or were you just asking out of interest, as a precaution or whatever?
I noticed it in the initial posts of this thread: http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=113771

I don't think I have seen the practice anywhere, but it is something that should be reported before it becomes any kind of "fashion" to respond this way in any part of this forum.

From Isaac Asimov's "Foundation".
Merton is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 10:06 AM   #8
country flag Sean.J.S.

Sean.J.S. has a reputation beyond reputeSean.J.S. has a reputation beyond reputeSean.J.S. has a reputation beyond reputeSean.J.S. has a reputation beyond reputeSean.J.S. has a reputation beyond reputeSean.J.S. has a reputation beyond reputeSean.J.S. has a reputation beyond reputeSean.J.S. has a reputation beyond reputeSean.J.S. has a reputation beyond reputeSean.J.S. has a reputation beyond reputeSean.J.S. has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm...I can see what you're saying, Merton, but I often edit posts by deleting some of the stuff which is said, so it's more clear what I am responding to...otherwise my post would look VERY long...
Sean.J.S. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 04:36 PM   #9
country flag BlakeorHenman

BlakeorHenman has a reputation beyond reputeBlakeorHenman has a reputation beyond reputeBlakeorHenman has a reputation beyond reputeBlakeorHenman has a reputation beyond reputeBlakeorHenman has a reputation beyond reputeBlakeorHenman has a reputation beyond reputeBlakeorHenman has a reputation beyond reputeBlakeorHenman has a reputation beyond reputeBlakeorHenman has a reputation beyond reputeBlakeorHenman has a reputation beyond reputeBlakeorHenman has a reputation beyond repute

Jesus people, it's not like we're trying to interpret the US Constitution or something.

There is also a very special place in my heart for the three greatest WTA players of all time ---- Martina Hingis, Lindsay Davenport, and Monica Seles!!!
BlakeorHenman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote