Part 2 : Which one of these 8 youngsters will have the best career? Cilic, etc etc) - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-06-2007, 07:00 AM   #1
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Part 2 : Which one of these 8 youngsters will have the best career? Cilic, etc etc)

Like the previous thread where deivid and myself had the convo about the 8 players and divided them into groups of 2 and seeing who had the more potential for success from Gasquet, Murray, Baghdatis, Berdych, Verdasco, Djokovic, Monfils and del Potro.

This time we have 8 players, but there will be no groups. It will be like how I run the Liked/Disliked players thread, rate from then to 1 to 8. One being the best and 8 the worst. Give reasons if possible, it will make it more interesting to read.

Yes, their GS results will be updated as they compete in them and follow the progression of them into top players for some and others maybe not. For the most part I tried to get them in the same age, but Tsonga is here mainly because 2007 was his 1st full season without injury problems.

Success, well that would mean best potential or which one of them will win GS titles and TMC/TMS titles in the future.

The list of 8 are

- Gulbis
- Korolev
- Tsonga
- Cilic
- Young
- Querrey
- Zverev
- Bolelli

There is some variety among these players. Tsonga and big Sam with the huge shots, Zverev with the serve/volley, Korolev huge groundies, Gulbis has good variation. Young plays differently as he isn't all about the power. Cilic has very good work ethic and Bolelli could do well in some clay events.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1

Last edited by Action Jackson : 02-08-2009 at 10:24 PM.
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2007, 08:57 AM   #2
country flag CooCooCachoo
MONSOON season.

CooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Part 2. Which one of these 8 youngsters will have the best career?

I think Simone is also good indoors.

I wish I'd say Mischa will have the best career, but I doubt it. He's definitely got the nicest game to watch, though.

Tsonga and Querrey are good, but too inconsistent to be a real threat all year long. Ditto for Cilic.

I think Evgeny has the most potential to have a great, solid career.

Bachinger|Brands|Broady|Clezar|Crivoi|Crugnola|Cue vas|Eysseric|Giannessi|Granollers
Grigelis|Huta Galung|Ilhan|Korolev|Kudla|Al. Kuznetsov|Lammer|Mannarino
Menendez|Naso|Paire|Peliwo|Polansky|Robert|Smyczek |J. Sousa|Sweeting

CooCooCachoo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 09:04 AM   #3
country flag Horatio Caine
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Horatio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMK is Innocent View Post
Like the previous thread where deivid and myself had the convo about the 8 players and divided them into groups of 2 and seeing who had the more potential for success from Gasquet, Murray, Baghdatis, Berdych, Verdasco, Djokovic, Monfils and del Potro.

This time we have 8 players, but there will be no groups. It will be like how I run the Liked/Disliked players thread, rate from then to 1 to 8. One being the best and 8 the worst. Give reasons if possible, it will make it more interesting to read.

Yes, their GS results will be updated as they compete in them and follow the progression of them into top players for some and others maybe not. For the most part I tried to get them in the same age, but Tsonga is here mainly because 2007 was his 1st full season without injury problems.

Success, well that would mean best potential or which one of them will win GS titles and TMC/TMS titles in the future.

The list of 8 are

- Gulbis
- Korolev
- Tsonga
- Cilic
- Young
- Querrey
- Zverev
- Bolelli

There is some variety among these players. Tsonga and big Sam with the huge shots, Zverev with the serve/volley, Korolev huge groundies, Gulbis has good variation. Young plays differently as he isn't all about the power. Cilic has very good work ethic and Bolelli could do well in some clay events.
Very good thread mate...really struggling to choose one out of that list. I'll eliminate Tsonga first as I don't see him making much noise on the slower surfaces.

Only seen 2 minutes of Korolev on Youtube, so I can't really comment.

I'm expecting Cilic to be top 20 eventually, but he might lack consistency to threaten for many title wins, especially the bigger events.

Bolelli should do well, but, again, I'm not sure about his chances in the bigger tournaments.

Gulbis has the power to beat most players, so if he can learn how to control his aggression, he is capable of doing a lot of damage imo.

Querrey has top 20 potential imo; same with Young (maybe top 10).

Zverev is lacking in a few areas, and I'd put him in the same boat as Tsonga...top 50 at best imo.

Overall, I'd go with Gulbis, Korolev or Cilic.
Horatio Caine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 09:14 AM   #4
country flag Allegretto

Allegretto has a reputation beyond reputeAllegretto has a reputation beyond reputeAllegretto has a reputation beyond reputeAllegretto has a reputation beyond reputeAllegretto has a reputation beyond reputeAllegretto has a reputation beyond reputeAllegretto has a reputation beyond reputeAllegretto has a reputation beyond reputeAllegretto has a reputation beyond reputeAllegretto has a reputation beyond reputeAllegretto has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say Gulbis. I've been very impressed by what I've seen of him.
Allegretto is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 09:29 AM   #5
country flag Kolya

Kolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond repute

Mr. Gulbis.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:39 AM   #6
country flag VolandriFan

VolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond repute

Gulbis has such a messy game, terrible to watch. He may be able to emulate Ljubicic like results, but it's doubtful. People always see these youngsters rise into the top 100 and 50 and immediately epithet them as the next big thing. The reality is that at this point, many of these players will plateau and remain a mediocre entity with the occasional good result.

A large percentage of our legends did not become top 10 material overnight, so those with rapid development aren't always the best to bet on for the future. I'm more inclined to believe that Bolelli, who has so many weapons in his arsenal, will one day tame his strokes and garner some consistency. He has a forehand to rival the best in the game and his backhand is also a well-constructed, fluid stroke. Under the right guidance, he has a chance to develop into something special.

Out of those you listed, Young, Zverev and Tsonga are the other potential standouts.

Fognini|Mathieu|Falla|Bolelli|Muller|Verdasco
Monaco|Garcia-Lopez|Dancevic|Granollers|Massu|Schwank
Wolmarans|Xristos|Ferrer|Monfils|Alcaide|Starace

Last edited by VolandriFan : 04-11-2009 at 03:09 PM.
VolandriFan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 11:46 AM   #7
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Korolev for me has the most potential, but this means shit really and once he learns he doesn't need to murder the ball, then can do well on all surfaces except grass.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 12:37 PM   #8
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

Whenever i watch Gulbis and DY, i always feel as if I am watching potentially great players. DY isnt the typical American big serve big forehand shit backhand crap movement clownish volleys guy. He has alot of variety, a nice breath of air from the "bolietieri-izing" baseline smashers w/ big serves.

Gulbis as well, great kid, still needs some more years under his belt, but he got into the top 50 this year and slid back a bit, but he is also an all-surface threat
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 01:03 PM   #9
country flag dijus
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

dijus has a reputation beyond reputedijus has a reputation beyond reputedijus has a reputation beyond reputedijus has a reputation beyond reputedijus has a reputation beyond reputedijus has a reputation beyond reputedijus has a reputation beyond reputedijus has a reputation beyond reputedijus has a reputation beyond reputedijus has a reputation beyond reputedijus has a reputation beyond repute

You wanted a list. It's hard to call of course, but here it is mate
1.Gulbis
2.Young
3.Korolev
4.Bolelli
5.Tsonga
6.Cilic
7.Zverev
8.Querrey
dijus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 02:17 PM   #10
country flag Iván
Banned!

Iván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond repute

How can you compare gulbis to ljubo?

incredible.

Gulbis has much more to his game than ljubo..awful comparison by volandri fan.
Iván is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 02:19 PM   #11
country flag NinaNina19

NinaNina19 has a reputation beyond reputeNinaNina19 has a reputation beyond reputeNinaNina19 has a reputation beyond reputeNinaNina19 has a reputation beyond reputeNinaNina19 has a reputation beyond reputeNinaNina19 has a reputation beyond reputeNinaNina19 has a reputation beyond reputeNinaNina19 has a reputation beyond reputeNinaNina19 has a reputation beyond reputeNinaNina19 has a reputation beyond reputeNinaNina19 has a reputation beyond repute

Cilic and Gulbis if he gets it together mentally and stops hitting everything out.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:30 PM   #12
country flag DrJules

DrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond repute

Much prefer the individual approach to the 2 group approach.

With the 2 groups there were players in each I rated and players I did not rate.
DrJules is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 06:44 PM   #13
country flag scarecrows
Ace Loveforty

scarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond repute

1. Korolev
2. Gulbis
3. Young
4. Cilic
5. Bolelli
6. Zverev
7. Querrey
8. Tsonga

just random thinking, I havent seen enough of them to judge.
Korolev and Gulbis have the more complete game IMO and can play well in various surfaces. Also they played quite enough tournaments on the main tour already. Cilic might need another year for his full potential but I can see him in top 20 in 2-3 years. Simone closed the season in style winning the rich Bratislava Challenger and showed that he's not just a clay courter. He's older than the other guys (bar Tsonga) so i dont see him so well in this list to be honest. Young did well to finish season in top 100 but we all know his record in ATP matches. Let's see how he matches with the top 50s next season but he's young and has game so I see him winning plenty of titles.
The other 3 are a bit limited in certain surfaces. Zverev and Tsonga are far from being consistent and Querrey hasnt convinced me much. I like Zverev's style though but he needs quite fast courts to do well and courts are getting slower and slower

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerRafaFan View Post
That will be the last victory of Rafa for quite some time.. With his joke mentality and pathetic game, I hope the disgusting player loses every single match next season. He's disgraceful. He should just retire. He's a joke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_mac View Post
(10) Corey Feldman vs. (12) scarecrows

Last edited by scarecrows : 12-06-2007 at 06:55 PM.
scarecrows is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 06:45 PM   #14
country flag Stensland

Stensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond repute

if gulbis gets some consistency next year and tries to stay focussed a little more during matches, i thing he has a good chance to break into the top 20.

i'll always remember that match vs. robredo. man, he crushed him, good lord...
Stensland is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 06:45 PM   #15
Chris Seahorse

Chris Seahorse has a reputation beyond reputeChris Seahorse has a reputation beyond reputeChris Seahorse has a reputation beyond reputeChris Seahorse has a reputation beyond reputeChris Seahorse has a reputation beyond reputeChris Seahorse has a reputation beyond reputeChris Seahorse has a reputation beyond reputeChris Seahorse has a reputation beyond reputeChris Seahorse has a reputation beyond reputeChris Seahorse has a reputation beyond reputeChris Seahorse has a reputation beyond repute

1.Gulbis
2.Young
3.Korolev
4.Tsonga
5.Zverev
6.Cilic
7.Querrey
8.Bolelli

The Magician

Marcos Baghdatis Fernando Gonzalez

Florian Mayer Gustavo Kuerten Richard Gasquet

Feliciano Lopez Lukasz Kubot Hyung-Taik Lee Younes El Alynaoui Dick Norman Sergiy Stakhovsky Aisam Qureshi Dusan Vemic Michal Przysiezny Ernests Gulbis Carlos Moya Andy Murray Jonas Bjorkman Andrei Pavel Olivier Patience Mariano Zabaleta Jarkko Nieminen Fyrstenberg/Matkowski
Chris Seahorse is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote