§_§_§_The Season 2008 Down Under_§_§_§ - Page 8 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-09-2008, 12:41 PM   #106
country flag richie21

richie21 has a reputation beyond reputerichie21 has a reputation beyond reputerichie21 has a reputation beyond reputerichie21 has a reputation beyond reputerichie21 has a reputation beyond reputerichie21 has a reputation beyond reputerichie21 has a reputation beyond reputerichie21 has a reputation beyond reputerichie21 has a reputation beyond reputerichie21 has a reputation beyond reputerichie21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: §_§_§_The Season 2008 Down Under_§_§_§

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puschkin View Post
Besides, preparing well for a GS does not necessarily involve winning the tourneys leading up to it.

I know but what i was saying is that he is still not to the point where he can use smaller tournaments like Sydney as a preparation for the GSs (guys like Federer,Nadal,Roddick,Hewitt who have already won GSs or even Djokovic who have won MSs have the credibility to do that but not Gasquet) .......he is still (to my regret) at a stage where he needs to prove he can win those tournaments.(i mean,he has yet to even win a tier 1 tournament,let alone a MS or a GS)
As i said,Sydney was probably a bigger tournament than any of the tournament he has won so far in his career so if he only used it as a preparation for the AO,that's very disappointing.
For a number 8 in the world who just made the TMC ,to only win 1 match in his first tournament is not very good for the confidence ,you can't deny it.
Yeah i know he had some troubles during his preparation but apparently,in the last 2 weeks,everything was oki so.....

Before winning the GSs, you perhaps don't need to win all the tournaments leading up to it but you certainly need to win some "intermediary" tournaments like tier 1 tournaments and the Master Series..........and Gasquet has yet to win a tier 1 or a MS.
You'll very rarely see players winning GSs before winning at least one tier 1 title or a MS.

Last edited by richie21 : 01-09-2008 at 12:50 PM.
richie21 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2008, 12:50 PM   #107
country flag Puschkin

Puschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie21 View Post
I know but what i was saying is that he is still not to the point where he can use smaller tournaments like Sydney as a preparation for the GSs (guys like Federer,Nadal,Roddick,Hewitt who have already won GSs or even Djokovic who have won MSs have the credibility to do that but not Gasquet) .......
None of the players you mentioned, plays a real tourney this week, apart from Hewitt, who also lost today which reinforces my point: preparatory tournaments don't necessary lead to good GS results.

And if I have to chose between a good showing at the AO or a final/win in Sydney (which anyone again would call a mickey mouse event), I go for the first.

Quote:
For a number 8 in the world ,to only win 1 match in his first tournament is not very good for the confidence ,you can't deny it.
I don't deny it. I only explained why my expectations for Sydney were not that high.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Puschkin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 12:56 PM   #108
country flag richie21

richie21 has a reputation beyond reputerichie21 has a reputation beyond reputerichie21 has a reputation beyond reputerichie21 has a reputation beyond reputerichie21 has a reputation beyond reputerichie21 has a reputation beyond reputerichie21 has a reputation beyond reputerichie21 has a reputation beyond reputerichie21 has a reputation beyond reputerichie21 has a reputation beyond reputerichie21 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puschkin View Post
None of the players you mentioned, plays a real tourney this week, apart from Hewitt, who also lost today which reinforces my point: preparatory tournaments don't necessary lead to good GS results.
I'm not sure you understood what i said.
As i said,for those players,even if they don't perform well in smaller tournaments leading up to the GS (or even "better",if they don't play it),that's not that grave because they know what it takes to win the biggest tournaments and they have the confidence to do that because they have already done it before...........Gasquet is still far from being there.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:00 PM   #109
country flag Puschkin

Puschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
...........Gasquet is still far from being there.
Well, that is nothing new, even if I think he is not that far away, but he is a contender and that is what makes following his quest so interesting. Going with the established winners is less exciting, unless they are called Roger Federer.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

Old 01-09-2008, 01:06 PM   #110
country flag jitterbug

jitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond repute

I walked behind Deblicker yesterday after the doubles match against Gooch/Smeets. I wanted to ask him whether we could take a photo together but I was scared that he would be creeped out

I'll post my photos of Richie later

The importance of being Ernests Riga Mortis

Ernests Gulbis on seeing HEAD racquets being made by hand:
Quote:
I felt so bad. I didn’t break a racquet for like one month. They are putting so much effort to make the racquets and an idiot like me goes and breaks them
jitterbug is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 01:07 PM   #111
country flag *julie*

*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm not sure you understood what i said.
As i said,for those players,even if they don't perform well in smaller tournaments leading up to the GS (or even "better",if they don't play it),that's not that grave because they know what it takes to win the biggest tournaments and they have the confidence to do that because they have already done it before...........Gasquet is still far from being there.
Calm down Richie. It's only the first tournament of the year and a MM on top of that.
It's the first tournament of the year and he comes back from an injury and his preparation has been delayed.
Would you prefer him to win Sydney and be exhausted for the AO?
Richard has never had significant wins during the australian season, so I don't think this loss is that dramatic.
*julie* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 01:08 PM   #112
country flag tennis lover

tennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond repute

shame abut the loss today but at least he's played a couple of matches and got a bit of extra practice in the doubles and he won't be too tired for the AO.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

tennis lover is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 01:14 PM   #113
country flag richie21

Quote:
Originally Posted by *julie* View Post
Calm down Richie. It's only the first tournament of the year and a MM on top of that.
Less MM than any of the tournaments he has won so far though......

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis lover View Post
shame abut the loss today but at least he's played a couple of matches and got a bit of extra practice in the doubles and he won't be too tired for the AO.
I'd prefer him to be confident and tired rather than the contrary.

Quote:
want an honest answer? YES.
Even if he isn't exhausted, i don't see him going very far in the AO anyway so "quitte a choisir",i would have preferred him to win Sydney ,even if it meant to be a bit exhausted for the AO(he would have had time to rest anyway ,especially if his AO first rounds matches weren't very hard)

Quote:
Originally Posted by *julie* View Post
It's the first tournament of the year and he comes back from an injury and his preparation has been delayed.
Richard has never had significant wins during the australian season, so I don't think this loss is that dramatic.
Well,last year at least,he made the 1/2 final at Sydney (and Adelaide)
Besides,it means he has already lost some precious points in the atp rankings.

Last edited by richie21 : 01-09-2008 at 01:23 PM.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:23 PM   #114
country flag tami

tami has a reputation beyond reputetami has a reputation beyond reputetami has a reputation beyond reputetami has a reputation beyond reputetami has a reputation beyond reputetami has a reputation beyond reputetami has a reputation beyond reputetami has a reputation beyond reputetami has a reputation beyond reputetami has a reputation beyond reputetami has a reputation beyond repute

hmmm, after watching today's singles match, i was a little disappointed that gasquet couldn't get deep into the tournament. it seemed as though he let a few things that he couldn't really change get to him, and his body language told that story as well. i was hoping that he could stay a bit more positive like he did against andreev, but i think there were too many negative things going on in his head today that he couldn't shrug off. he was really annoyed, you could tell.

and i agree, he did tend to shy away from the baseline again, particularly towards the end of the match, when he wasn't really able to get a grasp on tursonov's big serves.

i don't know whether the physio and other exercises in conjunction with hitting practice can help, but he seemed to be having some trouble with the right pec mm area, he was massaging it a bit during the singles and doubles match. perhaps the balls were a little bit more heavy, and his shoulder girdle muscles need to adjust. as long as it is conditioned strengthening, then it's ok.

he was more positive in the doubles, maybe because tsonga was there. and without cap, he looked more mature. but the moments when he smiled, especially after a spectacular point in the tie-break, it was really fantastic to see....it made me feel relieved that he was enjoying himself on the court. he seemed tentative during his singles match.

i hope he will continue to stay positive for this first grand slam of the year, what with the heat, the sun, and weapons from his opponents - things he cannot really change - i hope he will stay firm and confident in his abilities....cos when they're on....woo, it's a highlights reel!

ooh, and just to make this entry the longest i have ever written, i think i may know why gasquet prefers to have a cap on when playing....he tends to pull at his hair along the midline, to make it stand up kinda like a previous beckham hairstyle. the rate he went at it during the match, it's not just the receding hairline he needs to worry about. sorry gasquet!! but it was really cute a gesture, on-court styling...who says gasquet is not into looking good??!! :P

Last edited by tami : 01-09-2008 at 01:29 PM.
tami is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 01:32 PM   #115
country flag MariaV

MariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the report Tami! No need to panic yet. Just pleeease no more injury touble.
Best of luck at the AO Richard! Allez!
Old 01-09-2008, 02:27 PM   #116
country flag lisaplenske

lisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond repute

not good to stop there at sydney,would be better if he could have the possibilty to play couple of other matches before AO but thats not dramatic.
Tursunov is a good player who can,in a given day,beat every top player.The most important for richard is to get used to the new courts,play in the australian summer conditions to be ready at AO.

Still alive indouble with tsonga,hopefully he will work on his game,returs,serve,attaquing game.He has to be more agressive for AO.

when willthe AO draw be released?

Tsonga - Simon - Monfils - Mathieu - Chardy - Baghdatis
Mannarino - Safin - Santoro - Gulbis- Nishikori
lisaplenske is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 02:32 PM   #117
country flag Puschkin

Quote:
want an honest answer? YES.
Even if he isn't exhausted, i don't see him going very far in the AO anyway so "quitte a choisir",i would have preferred him to win Sydney ,even if it meant to be a bit exhausted for the AO(he would have had time to rest anyway ,especially if his AO first rounds matches weren't very hard).
1. We don't know the draw yet. The first rounds can be very challenging.

2. Richard has never done well with high temperatures over a long period. And this is not an excuse, but a fact. Like it or not.

3. Richard is not the player to do well, when he is exhausted. He is normally not a guy to grind out matches day in day-out. His career so far just does not point in this drection. And I don't think he will ever be a second coming of Nadal, Ferrer, etc. If you expect him to be like that, you are craving disappointment. Take him for what he is, and life as a fan will be a lot easier.

Quote:
Well,last year at least,he made the 1/2 final at Sydney (and Adelaide).
QF of Adelaide , if I remember correctly.

Quote:
Besides,it means he has already lost some precious points in the atp rankings.
This picking on a small number of points is ridiculous. He has to do better on the big occasions, that should be his goal for 2008. A MM title more or less won't do.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

Old 01-09-2008, 02:46 PM   #118
country flag my0118

my0118 has a reputation beyond reputemy0118 has a reputation beyond reputemy0118 has a reputation beyond reputemy0118 has a reputation beyond reputemy0118 has a reputation beyond reputemy0118 has a reputation beyond reputemy0118 has a reputation beyond reputemy0118 has a reputation beyond reputemy0118 has a reputation beyond reputemy0118 has a reputation beyond reputemy0118 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tami View Post
hmmm, after watching today's singles match, i was a little disappointed that gasquet couldn't get deep into the tournament. it seemed as though he let a few things that he couldn't really change get to him, and his body language told that story as well. i was hoping that he could stay a bit more positive like he did against andreev, but i think there were too many negative things going on in his head today that he couldn't shrug off. he was really annoyed, you could tell.

and i agree, he did tend to shy away from the baseline again, particularly towards the end of the match, when he wasn't really able to get a grasp on tursonov's big serves.

i don't know whether the physio and other exercises in conjunction with hitting practice can help, but he seemed to be having some trouble with the right pec mm area, he was massaging it a bit during the singles and doubles match. perhaps the balls were a little bit more heavy, and his shoulder girdle muscles need to adjust. as long as it is conditioned strengthening, then it's ok.

he was more positive in the doubles, maybe because tsonga was there. and without cap, he looked more mature. but the moments when he smiled, especially after a spectacular point in the tie-break, it was really fantastic to see....it made me feel relieved that he was enjoying himself on the court. he seemed tentative during his singles match.

i hope he will continue to stay positive for this first grand slam of the year, what with the heat, the sun, and weapons from his opponents - things he cannot really change - i hope he will stay firm and confident in his abilities....cos when they're on....woo, it's a highlights reel!

ooh, and just to make this entry the longest i have ever written, i think i may know why gasquet prefers to have a cap on when playing....he tends to pull at his hair along the midline, to make it stand up kinda like a previous beckham hairstyle. the rate he went at it during the match, it's not just the receding hairline he needs to worry about. sorry gasquet!! but it was really cute a gesture, on-court styling...who says gasquet is not into looking good??!! :P
Thank you for all your report

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaplenske View Post
when willthe AO draw be released?
On Friday.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:50 PM   #119
country flag lisaplenske

lisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond reputelisaplenske has a reputation beyond repute

thanks

Tsonga - Simon - Monfils - Mathieu - Chardy - Baghdatis
Mannarino - Safin - Santoro - Gulbis- Nishikori
lisaplenske is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 03:16 PM   #120
country flag Kurata

Kurata has a reputation beyond reputeKurata has a reputation beyond reputeKurata has a reputation beyond reputeKurata has a reputation beyond reputeKurata has a reputation beyond reputeKurata has a reputation beyond reputeKurata has a reputation beyond reputeKurata has a reputation beyond reputeKurata has a reputation beyond reputeKurata has a reputation beyond reputeKurata has a reputation beyond repute

http://video.eurosport.fr/tennis/atp...vid61131.shtml
Kurata is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote