Kellen Damico - America's number 1 Junior Player - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-30-2007, 07:11 PM   #1
country flag Fumus

Fumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Kellen Damico - America's number 1 Junior Player

Kellen was a doubles champion at the Junior's Wimbledon, a Semi-Finalist at the French Open, and recently signed with the Texas Longhorns to play Division 1 college tennis. Kellen is following the route that many other America players have followed recently namely Sam Quarry, John Isner, and James Blake by playing college tennis instead of taking the leap directly into professional tennis.

Quote:
Damico, the highest-ranked American in the International Tennis Federation (ITF) junior tennis rankings, is the eighth-ranked player in the world among junior boys tennis players and was ranked as high as No. 6 earlier this year. Damico collected his first junior Grand Slam victory in July of 2006 when he captured the boys’ doubles title at The Junior Championships, Wimbledon at the All England Lawn and Croquet Club in London, England.

Damico played in the main doubles draw at the 2006 U.S. Open in Flushing Meadows, N.Y., in addition to playing in the main singles and doubles draws at the U.S. Open Junior Championships. The six-foot right-hander was a doubles finalist at the 2006 Australian Open Junior Championships and finished as a singles finalist and doubles quarterfinalist at the 2006 USTA International Spring Championships.

Damico recorded a breakthrough performance in 2005 when he won his first ITF Grade I singles title at the Genting ITF Malaysian International Junior Championships.
http://www.texassports.com/index.php...ange_well_id=2

Some fun facts, Kellen was once kicked out of John Roddick's tennis camp for some verbal abuse. (he was re-admitted). Kellen's favorite player is Andy Roddick, which may come as no surprise for anyone who was seen Kellen play because you might see a similarity in their fiery and very much emotional power game.

That's the gospel.
Fumus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2007, 01:21 AM   #2
country flag Fee

Fee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kellen Damico - America's number 1 Junior Player

Sam Querrey never went to college. Perhaps you mean Alex Clayton or Ryan Sweeting?

@dougrobson - Whoever is supplying Mahut with hair gel needs to ink a sponsorship deal now.

@Wimbledon - FYI, with @Wimbledon live scoring devices, please add 50 to the games in the fifth set of the Isner v Mahut match.

@HolterMedia - Nice to see that a three-day test has come to tennis here @wimbledon.

Andy wearring Crocs, courtesy of Smitty8
Fee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 04:01 AM   #3
country flag SHB

SHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure about him being the top American junior. By ITF ranking, Donald Young is still the top American junior, followed by Rhyne Williams. By reputation, he's behind at least Donald Young and Michael McClune in his age group, and probably Ryan Thacher as well. He is considered a legit pro prospect, though.

Last edited by SHB : 12-01-2007 at 04:07 AM.
SHB is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 06:01 PM   #4
country flag Fumus

Fumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fee View Post
Sam Querrey never went to college. Perhaps you mean Alex Clayton or Ryan Sweeting?
Yea, you are right for awhile he was entertaining an offer from USC but his results on tour have just been so good.
That's the gospel.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:09 PM   #5
country flag Fee

Fee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, he was going to commit to USC, but then he turned pro before his High School graduation. Sometimes I wonder if Sam should have taken a year or two in college, but he's a good guy and I think he will improve his results next year.

@dougrobson - Whoever is supplying Mahut with hair gel needs to ink a sponsorship deal now.

@Wimbledon - FYI, with @Wimbledon live scoring devices, please add 50 to the games in the fifth set of the Isner v Mahut match.

@HolterMedia - Nice to see that a three-day test has come to tennis here @wimbledon.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:35 PM   #6
country flag Fumus

Quote:
Yes, he was going to commit to USC, but then he turned pro before his High School graduation. Sometimes I wonder if Sam should have taken a year or two in college, but he's a good guy and I think he will improve his results next year.
I think Kellen is the next great white hope!
That's the gospel.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:38 PM   #7
country flag Fee

I think Michael McClune is a damn good prospect, but I am a bit biased.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:42 PM   #8
country flag Fumus

Quote:
I think Michael McClune is a damn good prospect, but I am a bit biased.
What's weird is that Kellen is only 18 and he's balding already, it makes me not feel too bad about my receding hairline...lolzz
That's the gospel.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:26 PM   #9
country flag Fee

Is he really? That's unfotunate, he's been handed a bad gene. He'll just have to wear it short and thin like Davydenko I suppose, and get a really good spray on sunscreen to protect his scalp.

Old 12-12-2007, 03:28 PM   #10
country flag Fumus

Quote:
Is he really? That's unfotunate, he's been handed a bad gene. He'll just have to wear it short and thin like Davydenko I suppose, and get a really good spray on sunscreen to protect his scalp.
Oh I thought you were going to say get the hair in a can...
That's the gospel.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:05 PM   #11
country flag Pockit2006

Pockit2006 has a reputation beyond reputePockit2006 has a reputation beyond reputePockit2006 has a reputation beyond reputePockit2006 has a reputation beyond reputePockit2006 has a reputation beyond reputePockit2006 has a reputation beyond reputePockit2006 has a reputation beyond reputePockit2006 has a reputation beyond reputePockit2006 has a reputation beyond reputePockit2006 has a reputation beyond reputePockit2006 has a reputation beyond repute

Ah good luck to him. I think the college route is a good idea
Pockit2006 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 09:51 PM   #12
country flag Pigpen Stinks

Pigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond reputePigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond reputePigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond reputePigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond reputePigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond reputePigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond reputePigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond reputePigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond reputePigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond reputePigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond reputePigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond repute

His Texas Longhorns are playing in the NCAA Championship match tonight against defending national champion Georgia. It'll be televised live at 7:00PM EDT on ESPNU.

He plays #2 singles and #1 doubles for Texas and has a national ranking of #41 in singles and #9 in doubles. He'll also compete in the individual singles and doubles championships which begin tomorrow.

An interesting sidebar for tonight's match is that Georgia's #1 player transferred to Georgia from Texas citing that he wanted the chance to win a national title. Evidently there is some bad blood between the coaches as the Texas coach suspected that the Georgia coach may have been unethical in tampering with his former player.

Texas is the #7 seed and reached the final by upsetting #2 seed Ohio State in the quarters, then followed that up with an upset of #3 seed UCLA in the semis. Georgia is the #4 seed this year and reached the title match by knoching off top seeded and previously undefeated Virginia in the semis.
Pigpen Stinks is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote