Robby, what lies ahead? - 2008 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-29-2007, 06:04 AM   #1
country flag idolwatcher1

idolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Robby, what lies ahead? - 2008

Robby ends 2007 outside the Top 100. On Robby's website (updated November 13th) it says:
"After training at home for a few weeks in Georgia, Robby left over the past weekend to head out west to California and hit the practice courts in Palm Springs. In Palm Springs, Robby will be training daily with his coach Jose Higueras and working on his game now that there is some more free time away from the busy tournament schedule during this time of the year.

Later this month, Robby will be heading to Portland, Oregon, for the Finals of the Davis Cup Tie where the U.S. will take on Russia."
And in the Bryan Brothers blog this week for Davis Cup, Bob Bryan said:
"On Monday we had a practice set with Mardy and Donald Young. We're really impressed with how much Donald has improved in the past six months. He's a totally different player to the guy we saw in Winston Salem. We're also impressed with how hard Robby Ginepri is working after a disappointing year and he's committed to getting back into the Top 20."
According to DavisCup.org, Robby is serving as a practice partner (for James and Andy), along with Mardy, John, and Donald who are also there helping the team.

I would love for Jose to whip Robby back into Top 20 form, but for now, it's all practice... we have to wait until next year to see if any of this translates into real tournament results for him.
idolwatcher1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2007, 05:37 AM   #2

idolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond reputeidolwatcher1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Robby, what lies ahead? - 2008

Robby, to my knowledge, sat on the sidelines watching each of the Davis Cup matches, supporting and cheering the guys on as they played. He stated in the press conference after the 3-0 victory that P-Mac called him up to be a practice partner for the team, and he jumped at the chance to do everything he could to help the team out. He said that he tried to emulate the Russian players' games to help Andy, James, and the Bryans in practice.

Jon Wertheim wrote in his "Davis Cup Notebook" on Dec. 1st, 2007:
Lots of nice touches by the game-ops folks. But here's a weird one: the American "reserves" throwing t-shirts into the stands during changeovers. A bit jarring to see Robby Ginepri, a U.S. Open semifinalist not that long ago, acting like a glorified mascot.

Before the competition, the American players signed a letter they presented to USTA executives, strongly requesting that the American wild card for the Australian Open be given to Ginepri.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:49 AM   #3

I didn't realize this before, but P-Mac was actually writing a blog of his own at the USTA website, and he had this to say:
"These guys that were here with us this week have been great. Mardy Fish and Robby Ginepri played a big role for us. They practiced their butts off. Robby had a couple days in which he was on the court four or five hours straight. He’s been working hard and really playing well, and Mardy was the same. They were saying, “Hey, whatever you need.” They were out there picking up balls when they had just been out there practicing on their own for three hours, and that’s pretty awesome. That means something.

I think Robby is really going to have a great year next year."
From the press conference after DC victory:
ANDY RODDICK: Actually, before the next one, I want to say, that's kind of what makes the whole team. I mean, Robby's been the No. 2 guy. Mardy has been the No. 2 guy when James was going through his stuff a couple of years ago and trying to come back.
Robby is going to come back strong next year. It's been kind of like a family, to help people come back.

JAMES BLAKE: I wanted to add that Mardy is a part of the team. Robby is a part of the team. This team is not just this year. This team is from Winston-Salem in 2001, from Robby coming back from two sets to love down in Connecticut, from Mardy winning a huge match in Bratislava to make sure we didn't get relegated.
This wasn't just a one-year journey. This is a long time, and everyone on this stage has contributed in a big way and that's why they're here. We're not just celebrating this, me, Andy and the Bryans and Patrick. Our whole team is going to celebrate. We've all felt like we're a part of the team. I want to make sure everyone knows this is not just four guys. This is every single person sitting up here.
Robby's website posted this as of today, December 3rd:
"After the Davis Cup victory celebration, Robby headed back to Palm Springs, California and is now training with coach Jose Higueras during some of the off-season time away from the ATP Tour. Later this month on December 18th, Robby will be back in action for the Infinite Energy Atlanta Slam in Atlanta, Georgia, with fellow American Andy Roddick."
Robby is on the alternate entry list for the Adelaide tournament in January. He may try to qualify for that event, but he is not used to playing in qualifying rounds. Qualifying for Madrid this year was one of the few times he's ever played qualifying rounds in the past 4 years. One thing is for sure though, he'll have to swallow any pride and will NEED to play a lot of matches to climb back up the rankings and find his confidence again!!
Old 12-04-2007, 06:33 AM   #4
country flag rege

rege has a reputation beyond reputerege has a reputation beyond reputerege has a reputation beyond reputerege has a reputation beyond reputerege has a reputation beyond reputerege has a reputation beyond reputerege has a reputation beyond reputerege has a reputation beyond reputerege has a reputation beyond reputerege has a reputation beyond reputerege has a reputation beyond repute

So, Robby is in my corner of the world? Hmm, I do have a friend with a house in Palm Springs... perhaps it's time I pay him a visit.
rege is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 06:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rege View Post
So, Robby is in my corner of the world? Hmm, I do have a friend with a house in Palm Springs... perhaps it's time I pay him a visit.
hmmm... well, if you stalk happen to see Robby somewhere, I hope you're ready to take pictures!

I can only hope that Robby is being whipped into shape right now because he's been a bad, bad boy this year...
Old 12-06-2007, 03:24 PM   #6
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

I hope Robby doesn't get the WC. He needs to suck it up and fight his way back - he'll be better for it in the long run.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 07:46 PM   #7

The decision will be in the hands of the USTA. Robby was one of only five Americans who made the 3rd round of the Australian Open earlier this year (the other four have directly qualified for the '08 AO), and he's made the 4th round there before, so he would technically be considered as good a candidate as any of the other Americans to be awarded the wildcard. (Robert Kendrick and John Isner enter the main draw directly with just three withdrawals.)

The only power Robby has in this matter is to reject the wildcard should they decide to award it to him. After the American Davis Cup players gathered together to ask that the USTA give the wildcard to Robby, not only would he be repudiating their efforts, but he could be viewed by the USTA as "biting the hand that feeds you". Rejecting the wildcard would put him in an awkward position with everyone involved in the decision (regardless of why).

I genuinely want Robby to make the main draw of the Australian Open next year. Would I prefer that he earn his way there with matches under his belt? Absolutely! I feel that he NEEDS to play more matches next year, and he needs to get used to feeling that he has to earn his way back up the rankings with his current TENNIS, not with his past results or rankings. But my main focus will be on how he plays once he's in the main draw (should he get there), and less on how he got there. For me, his success in 2008 will be determined by all of his participation and advancements in the smaller tournaments that lead up to the bigger ones...
Old 12-08-2007, 09:05 PM   #8
country flag Deboogle!.

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

None of that is the point. The point is that Robby took months off, the reason his ranking slipped is his own fault. he wasn't injured, he just disappeared and didn't play. He appeared lazy. He had no good coach. He may deserve it in terms of what he once was or what he might be able to be, but he let himself get this far in the shitter, and I think he should be the one to pick himself up and that includes getting off his butt and playing challengers and stuff. The end of this year, he could have played challengers, he could have done well, and he could have gotten his ranking into the top 100 again like Donald Young did. But he didn't. He CHOSE not to. Of course, if the USTA offers him the wildcard, he'd be an idiot not to take it, but that's not the point. It would be better for himself, in the longrun, to have to earn it himself. It's not about entering the AO with 3 matches, it's about the mental fortitude and modesty it would take for him to say "ok, i need to do this to get myself back where I should be" - it's an overall mindset, that while other Americans were down in the challengers toiling to get their rankings high enough, Robby apparently chilled out at home watching his ranking slide, and that leaves a very bad taste in my mouth.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...

Last edited by Deboogle!. : 12-08-2007 at 09:10 PM.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:45 PM   #9
country flag Fee

Fee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond repute

Word Deb. I have two words for Robby at this point, PROVE IT.

Robby lost a fan in 2007, but if he shows that he still cares about tennis and is willing to put the work in, perhaps he can earn that fan back.

@dougrobson - Whoever is supplying Mahut with hair gel needs to ink a sponsorship deal now.

@Wimbledon - FYI, with @Wimbledon live scoring devices, please add 50 to the games in the fifth set of the Isner v Mahut match.

@HolterMedia - Nice to see that a three-day test has come to tennis here @wimbledon.

Andy wearring Crocs, courtesy of Smitty8
Fee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 03:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deboogle!. View Post
None of that is the point.
Why place an accusatory statement at the beginning of your post if you aren't going to show to whom you're directing it to?
Your statement, "None of that is the point," assumes that you're deciding what "the point" is. The statement wouldn't apply to me because I was making my own distinct points, and was not directly addressing any of your points (or those that you wanted to make). All of my statements in this thread were directed to anybody reading them, except for where I explicitly showed otherwise (like when I directly quoted rege). Sorry if there was a misunderstanding...
Old 12-12-2007, 12:37 AM   #11

This year, the USTA decided to give the wildcard to a U.S. player ranked in the Top 200 that was born in 1985 or later (and will use a round robin format to determine the winner amongst the group of eligible players). Robby is therefore not eligible to receive it, and will have to qualify for the Australian Open if he wants to enter the main draw.

I assume once Robby is finished with the tournament in Adelaide, he will head over to the Australian Open and start practicing there prior to the qualifying rounds. He will have to play and win three matches in the qualifying rounds in order to make the main draw. (The qualifying matches are best-of three set matches.)

As I said before, I think it will be good for Robby to get used to feeling like he has to earn his way into a tournament with his current tennis and NOT based on his past results or rankings, so he should embrace this opportunity to prove that he can win matches with his current tennis and is capable of qualifying his way into the main draw. I hope Robby is preparing well for next month!!
Old 12-12-2007, 06:59 PM   #12
country flag Deboogle!.

Good, I think it will be better for Robby this way, and hopefully he will succeed and that success will make it mean more to him, knowing that he put the hard work in to do it.

Old 12-14-2007, 05:16 AM   #13
country flag rege

rege has a reputation beyond reputerege has a reputation beyond reputerege has a reputation beyond reputerege has a reputation beyond reputerege has a reputation beyond reputerege has a reputation beyond reputerege has a reputation beyond reputerege has a reputation beyond reputerege has a reputation beyond reputerege has a reputation beyond reputerege has a reputation beyond repute

I can't believe the new season will be here in less than a month! I'm looking forward to be able to watch more of Robby's matches since they finally hooked up the TV/cable box that came with my job promotion earlier this year (yay, me!)

And, Deb... I'm guessing that you passed the bar exam. Congratulations! My graduate program offered a dual degree with the law school and I considered going for it just for fun (I'm a nerd like that) but the M.A. was enough work on its own.
rege is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 06:05 AM   #14
country flag Deboogle!.

Yes rege I did. thank you!!!

Oh dear. nothing about law school is "just for fun" - I think you made a good decision - I always tell people, it's worth it all if you know you want to do law. If not, it is a horrible waste of time, money, and sanity But yay for you on your promotion!

Old 12-17-2007, 02:08 AM   #15
country flag jcempire

jcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond repute

Robby will fire all the way back to Top 15

GOGOGO

Nadal Nadal Nadal
jcempire is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote