Sudanese hissy fits over teddy bear - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-29-2007, 06:50 PM   #46
country flag Jaap
Banned!

Jaap has a reputation beyond reputeJaap has a reputation beyond reputeJaap has a reputation beyond reputeJaap has a reputation beyond reputeJaap has a reputation beyond reputeJaap has a reputation beyond reputeJaap has a reputation beyond reputeJaap has a reputation beyond reputeJaap has a reputation beyond reputeJaap has a reputation beyond reputeJaap has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sudanese hissy fits over teddy bear

Should let Sudan starve. Mug country.
Jaap is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2007, 06:56 PM   #47
country flag mtw

mtw has a reputation beyond reputemtw has a reputation beyond reputemtw has a reputation beyond reputemtw has a reputation beyond reputemtw has a reputation beyond reputemtw has a reputation beyond reputemtw has a reputation beyond reputemtw has a reputation beyond reputemtw has a reputation beyond reputemtw has a reputation beyond reputemtw has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoes View Post
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071129/...ritish_teacher

Briton convicted in Sudan blasphemy case

KHARTOUM, Sudan - A British teacher in Sudan was convicted Thursday of inciting religious hatred for letting her pupils name a teddy bear Muhammad, and she was sentenced to 15 days in prison and deportation from the country, one of her lawyers said.

Gillian Gibbons was arrested Sunday after complaints to the Education Ministry that she had insulted Prophet Muhammad, the most revered figure in Islam, by applying his name to a toy animal.

The maximum penalty in the case, which has attracted worldwide attention, was 40 lashes and six months in prison.

"The judge found Gillian Gibbons guilty and sentenced her to 15 days jail and deportation," said Ali Mohammed Hajab, a member of her defense team.
You know, if she named this toy Muhammad and this name is reserved only for people and it is name of their prophet, who is creator of their religion. People should pass to the law of country in which they live hospitably.
Can you imagine that a man from Sudan would live in USA and he would buy for instance a pig and named it for instance George. Would it be tolerated in your country?
mtw is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:00 PM   #48
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

Lee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtw View Post
You know, if she named this toy Muhammad and this name is reserved only for people and it is name of their prophet, who is creator of their religion. People should pass to the law of country in which they live hospitably.
Can you imagine that a man from Sudan would live in USA and he would buy for instance a pig and named it for instance George. Would it be tolerated in your country?
You really need to live in US for sometime before your continuation of BSs. Or at least try to do a better research since everything you post in NT concerning US are extremely biased.

Take a good look at this link.

http://pbskids.org/curiousgeorge/gam...er_monkey.html

The monkey is called GEORGE!! And the program is broadcast in public television in USA. There are comic books, toys, etc etc for curios George, the monkey.

Last edited by Lee : 11-29-2007 at 07:08 PM.
Lee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:18 PM   #49
country flag Black Adam

Black Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond repute

See that's the exact problem. Governing a country according to what is written in a Religious Book. I am not bashing Islam as in Christian Countries some of the laws are related to some present in the Bible. But these guidelines from the Bible are not fully applied, people only use what is appropriate in modern days.

The Koran tells you how to live your everyday life (pray 5 times a day etc.)
The Bible gives you moral guidelines. Thing is the Koran was written 1400 years ago so some of the laws aren't really adapted for use in the 21st Century. IMO, life would be easier if they could modernize the script but why stop there.

Imagine, those living in Christian countries, if every law in the Bible was suddenly the law used by the Government? Life would be suddenly different, an some might say oppressing. Point being Religion and the State should be separate things. The French have handled that one pretty well I would say. Less problems and less fuss.
Quote:
Pele was the black Rooney
Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
"We must always remember that all human beings begin life as a feces. A Feces is a living being in the eyes of God, who has endowed that feces with all of the rights and God-given blessings of any other human being."
Black Adam is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:25 PM   #50
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Why did they bother with the deportation order? If she survives the prison she will not be able to get to the airport fast enough.
Seriously, this will probably harm the education of children the world over as teachers who go to risky areas will think twice.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:31 PM   #51
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoes View Post
"The judge found Gillian Gibbons guilty and sentenced her to 15 days jail and deportation," said Ali Mohammed Hajab, a member of her defense team.
I doubt he did the best he could for his client.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:34 PM   #52
country flag *Ljubica*
Occasional Visitor

*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
You really need to live in US for sometime before your continuation of BSs. Or at least try to do a better research since everything you post in NT concerning US are extremely biased.

Take a good look at this link.

http://pbskids.org/curiousgeorge/gam...er_monkey.html

The monkey is called GEORGE!! And the program is broadcast in public television in USA. There are comic books, toys, etc etc for curios George, the monkey.
Don't even try to argue with her Lee

I agree with Black Adam. Sadly in these countries where the laws are governed by a religion and not adapted to modern, everyday living, these dreadful things can and do happen. There is very little in this world more frightening than a religious bigot in my opinion, but thankfully in most Western countries they are mostly ignored, not allowed to make the laws of the country. I have been out of the UK this past week and only just catching up with this story now I'm home. I can't believe it has come to this, - it's disgusting that this poor woman who went there trying to help kids, has ended up like this. I am only greatful that I live in a democracy where people are allowed free speech and freedom of thought, and not treated like this for breaking some ridiculous ancient law. She was naming a child's toy for goodness sake

Supporting Djoković, Tipsarević, Soderling, Tursunov, Youzhny, Cilić and quite a few more
*Ljubica* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:35 PM   #53
country flag mangoes
Comparisons are Odious

mangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
This statement highlights your ignorance of America and your refusal to study America before attempting to post with authority on all matters of an American nature.

And on that note, you have lost complete credibility for any of your posts.

Why don't you visit America. I have a feeling you'd never want to leave when you realize America isn't the pits of hell where we eat our young, put people in jail for naming a pig George and have no civil laws.

Live Life to the Fullest , Be Happy , Find Peace within Yourself ..................
Tennis Helps!!
mangoes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:42 PM   #54
country flag mangoes
Comparisons are Odious

mangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
I doubt he did the best he could for his client.
Is a fair justice system even a reality in countries governed by Islamic Sharia laws?

Live Life to the Fullest , Be Happy , Find Peace within Yourself ..................
Tennis Helps!!
mangoes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:53 PM   #55
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:
I was firmly convinced that mtw was a hoax, but no hoaxer would risk blowing her cover by going this far. Sadly, she may be for real.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:57 PM   #56
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:
George? No problem.

However if he names it ''Jesus'', he may want to avoid going too far south.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:59 PM   #57
country flag MissPovaFan

MissPovaFan has a reputation beyond reputeMissPovaFan has a reputation beyond reputeMissPovaFan has a reputation beyond reputeMissPovaFan has a reputation beyond reputeMissPovaFan has a reputation beyond reputeMissPovaFan has a reputation beyond reputeMissPovaFan has a reputation beyond reputeMissPovaFan has a reputation beyond reputeMissPovaFan has a reputation beyond reputeMissPovaFan has a reputation beyond reputeMissPovaFan has a reputation beyond repute

Well well well so this is a jailable offence?

Gordon Brown if you have any backbone you will pull out all aid from Sudan and let them starve and kill each other! SOD THEM!

What a sick sick religion and a sick sick country!
MissPovaFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:59 PM   #58
country flag MissPovaFan

MissPovaFan has a reputation beyond reputeMissPovaFan has a reputation beyond reputeMissPovaFan has a reputation beyond reputeMissPovaFan has a reputation beyond reputeMissPovaFan has a reputation beyond reputeMissPovaFan has a reputation beyond reputeMissPovaFan has a reputation beyond reputeMissPovaFan has a reputation beyond reputeMissPovaFan has a reputation beyond reputeMissPovaFan has a reputation beyond reputeMissPovaFan has a reputation beyond repute

The next time we have Red Nose Day or Live Aid in England I'll be giving them two words and the second one is "off"
MissPovaFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 02:46 AM   #59
country flag MusicMyst

MusicMyst has a reputation beyond reputeMusicMyst has a reputation beyond reputeMusicMyst has a reputation beyond reputeMusicMyst has a reputation beyond reputeMusicMyst has a reputation beyond reputeMusicMyst has a reputation beyond reputeMusicMyst has a reputation beyond reputeMusicMyst has a reputation beyond reputeMusicMyst has a reputation beyond reputeMusicMyst has a reputation beyond reputeMusicMyst has a reputation beyond repute

And here's the Little Mo Bear, now available on eBay!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting

MusicMyst is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 03:00 AM   #60
country flag MCL

MCL has a reputation beyond reputeMCL has a reputation beyond reputeMCL has a reputation beyond reputeMCL has a reputation beyond reputeMCL has a reputation beyond reputeMCL has a reputation beyond reputeMCL has a reputation beyond reputeMCL has a reputation beyond reputeMCL has a reputation beyond reputeMCL has a reputation beyond reputeMCL has a reputation beyond repute

I shouldn't be shocked that she was charged, arrested, and convicted of insulting a religion over a teddy bear's name :retard: but I am. Though the entire situation is ridiculous, I'm glad that Ms. Gibbons didn't get more time or lashes. I'm sure that she will be glad to get the hell out of there when her sentence ends.
---
Quote:
British Teacher Found Guilty in Sudan
By JEFFREY GETTLEMAN
Published: November 30, 2007

NAIROBI, Kenya, Nov. 29 — The British teacher in Sudan who let her 7-year-old pupils name a class teddy bear Muhammad was found guilty on Thursday of insulting Islam and sentenced to 15 days in jail and deportation.
Under Sudanese law, the teacher, Gillian Gibbons, could have spent six months in jail and been lashed 40 times.

“She got a very light punishment,” said Rabie A. Atti, a government spokesman. “Actually, it’s not much of a punishment at all. It should be considered a warning that such acts should not be repeated.”
British officials, meanwhile, were furious. As soon as the news broke that Ms. Gibbons had been convicted, the Foreign Office in London, which had called the whole ordeal “an innocent mistake,” summoned the Sudanese ambassador — for the second time in two days.

“We are extremely disappointed,” said Omar Daair, spokesman for the British Embassy in Khartoum, the capital.

Ms. Gibbons, 54, has been in jail since Sunday, and Mr. Daair said her sentence would include time served, which means she will spend 10 more days behind bars before being sent to Britain.

The case started in September when Ms. Gibbons, who taught at one of Sudan’s most exclusive private schools, began a project on animals and asked her class to suggest a name for a teddy bear. The class voted resoundingly for Muhammad, one of the most common names in the Muslim world and the name of Islam’s holy prophet.

As part of the exercise, Ms. Gibbons told her students to take the bear home, photograph it and write a diary entry about it. The entries were collected in a book called “My Name Is Muhammad.” Most of her students were Muslim children from wealthy Sudanese families.

The government said that when some parents saw the book, they complained to the authorities. In Islam, insulting the Prophet Muhammad is a grave offense, and in northern Sudan, where Khartoum is, it is a crime. The government said it was insulting to name an animal or toy Muhammad.
On Thursday, Ms. Gibbons was whisked into a Khartoum courtroom under heavy security. She spent all day there, with the verdict announced after 9 p.m. It was not clear whether she would appeal.

Sudan’s relations with the West — especially Britain — are as strained as ever. Many developed countries are increasingly frustrated with what they consider stalling tactics by the Sudanese to delay the deployment of peacekeepers to Darfur, the troubled region of western Sudan.

Sudan, meanwhile, has accused the West of being anti-Islamic.

Beyond that, on Tuesday, Sir John Sawers, the British representative to the United Nations, criticized the Sudanese government on a number of issues, including the languishing international arrest warrants for a Sudanese official and a militia leader in Darfur.

The next day, the Sudanese government decided to press charges against Ms. Gibbons.

Despite the attempts by Islamic clerics to mobilize the masses against Ms. Gibbons, many Sudanese did not take to the streets.

Najla Hussein, who works at a mobile phone company in Khartoum, said she thought Ms. Gibbons should have been set free.

“Our government creates such problems to divert the eyes of the world community from our domestic problems,” Ms. Hussein said. “I am sure that the case of the British teacher is politically motivated and has got nothing to do with our prophet.”

Izzadine Abdul Rasoul Muhammad contributed reporting from Khartoum.
Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/30/wo...0sudan.html?hp

I like players that are extremely talented, hard working, and mentally tough. Some of my favorites have all of these qualities. Some of them do not.

Also supporting: Davydenko, Federer, Gasquet, Berdych, Moya, Nadal, Ljubicic, Chela, Djokovic and a bunch of chokers
MCL is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote