Sudanese hissy fits over teddy bear - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-28-2007, 02:46 PM   #1
country flag MissPovaFan

MissPovaFan has a reputation beyond reputeMissPovaFan has a reputation beyond reputeMissPovaFan has a reputation beyond reputeMissPovaFan has a reputation beyond reputeMissPovaFan has a reputation beyond reputeMissPovaFan has a reputation beyond reputeMissPovaFan has a reputation beyond reputeMissPovaFan has a reputation beyond reputeMissPovaFan has a reputation beyond reputeMissPovaFan has a reputation beyond reputeMissPovaFan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sudanese hissy fits over teddy bear

What a bunch of clowns

From BBC:

A British teacher has been charged in Sudan with insulting religion, inciting hatred and showing contempt for religious beliefs, reports say.
Reuters news agency said Sudanese state media reported that the charges were laid against 54-year-old Gillian Gibbons, from Liverpool.

She was arrested in Khartoum after allowing her class of primary school pupils to name a teddy bear Muhammad.

The Foreign Office said it was unable to confirm the reports.

State media said prosecutors had completed their investigation and decided to charge Mrs Gibbons under Article 125 of the Sudanese criminal code.

Mrs Gibbons taught at Unity High School in Khartoum and the school's director, Robert Boulos, said earlier: "This is a very sensitive issue. We are very worried about her safety.

"This was a completely innocent mistake."
MissPovaFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2007, 03:14 PM   #2
country flag Black Adam

Black Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sudanese hissy fits over teddy bear

She is 54 years old for Pete's sake. It's just as bad as the 19 year old girl in Saudi Arabia who got gang ***** then got sentenced to 6 months in jail plus 200 lashes for being in the car of an unknown man who later turned out o be her adulterous lover. Religions all have got their dark side but Islam just keeps getting worse by the year.

Quote:
Liverpool FC need to return to the good old days when the players were born and bred locally. Dalglish, Keegan, McDermott, Kennedy, Lawrenson, Hansen, Grobelaar, Toshack, Molby ........ or were they just the Chelsea of the 70's buying the best talent available in the market?
Black Adam is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 03:28 PM   #3
country flag Julio1974

Julio1974 has a reputation beyond reputeJulio1974 has a reputation beyond reputeJulio1974 has a reputation beyond reputeJulio1974 has a reputation beyond reputeJulio1974 has a reputation beyond reputeJulio1974 has a reputation beyond reputeJulio1974 has a reputation beyond reputeJulio1974 has a reputation beyond reputeJulio1974 has a reputation beyond reputeJulio1974 has a reputation beyond reputeJulio1974 has a reputation beyond repute

What is sad is to see how many people in Europe still want to curb free speech to protect religious feelings.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:38 PM   #4
country flag MissPovaFan

MissPovaFan has a reputation beyond reputeMissPovaFan has a reputation beyond reputeMissPovaFan has a reputation beyond reputeMissPovaFan has a reputation beyond reputeMissPovaFan has a reputation beyond reputeMissPovaFan has a reputation beyond reputeMissPovaFan has a reputation beyond reputeMissPovaFan has a reputation beyond reputeMissPovaFan has a reputation beyond reputeMissPovaFan has a reputation beyond reputeMissPovaFan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Adam View Post
She is 54 years old for Pete's sake. It's just as bad as the 19 year old girl in Saudi Arabia who got gang ***** then got sentenced to 6 months in jail plus 200 lashes for being in the car of an unknown man who later turned out o be her adulterous lover. Religions all have got their dark side but Islam just keeps getting worse by the year.
Exactly! Some of these Islamic countries are completely ridiculous! Surely law and order shouldn't take religion into consideration? People should be free to practice whatever religion they want in whatever country they are in!

Sometimes I feel England can be too soft on criminals but this case in Sudan just takes the piss. These countries want to progress and Westerners go there to help them out and then get treated like this!
MissPovaFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 03:40 PM   #5
country flag MCL

MCL has a reputation beyond reputeMCL has a reputation beyond reputeMCL has a reputation beyond reputeMCL has a reputation beyond reputeMCL has a reputation beyond reputeMCL has a reputation beyond reputeMCL has a reputation beyond reputeMCL has a reputation beyond reputeMCL has a reputation beyond reputeMCL has a reputation beyond reputeMCL has a reputation beyond repute

I feel really bad for that teacher and hope that she is spared any of the possible harsh punishments. It's a teddy bear for goodness sake. This situation is ridiculous.
--
Quote:
Teacher charged in teddy bear case

LONDON, England (CNN) -- A British teacher arrested in Sudan after allowing her class to name a teddy bear "Mohammed" has been charged by authorities with offending religion, state-run media in Sudan report.

A spokeswoman for the British Foreign Office confirmed Wednesday that Gillian Gibbons had been charged under Article 125 of Sudan's constitution, the law relating to insulting religion and inciting hatred.

Journalist Andrew Heavens, speaking from Sudanese capital Khartoum, said Gibbons was expected to appear in court Thursday.

Gibbons, 54, is being held by police in the capital Khartoum after she asked her class of seven-year-olds to come up with a name for the toy as part of a school project, Robert Boulos, the head of Unity High School told CNN.

She was arrested under the country's Islamic Sharia law after parents of some of her students complained to police.

Under Sudan's Sharia law, insulting Islam is punishable with 40 lashes, a jail term of up to six months or a fine.
Boulos said naming the teddy bear was "a totally innocent mistake" and that Gibbons had never intended to cause offense.

He said Gibbons had asked the children to pick their favorite name for the new class mascot, which she was using to aid lessons about animals and their habitats.

Classmates took turns taking the teddy bear home with them, accompanied by a diary with the bear's name written in the front of it, Boulos said.

"All this is a very sensitive area. I asked her (Gibbons) why she had done it and she said she didn't chose the name, the children did," Boulos told CNN.

British Prime Minister Gordon Brown said Tuesday he was "very sorry" about Gibbons' arrest and that the British embassy in Khartoum was "giving all appropriate consular assistance to her."

He said all efforts were being taken to ensure her early release and that government officials were in touch with the teacher's family in the northern British city of Liverpool.

Although there is no ban in the Koran on images of Allah or the Prophet Mohammed, likenesses are considered highly offensive by Muslims.

Gibbons had been working at the school -- popular with wealthy Sudanese and expatriates -- since August, after leaving her position as deputy headteacher at a primary school in Liverpool this summer.

On her entry on the social networking Web site MySpace, Gibbons wrote: "I am a teacher in a school in Khartoum, in Sudan. I like to make the most out of life."

According to the entry, she said her passion was travel and she was hoping to make the most of her time in Sudan by visiting nearby countries.

Gibbons was recruited to work in Sudan by QTS Worldwide, an education consultancy based in the northern county of West Yorkshire.

-- Journalist Andrew Heavens in Khartoum contributed to this report.
Source: http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/africa...ars/index.html

I like players that are extremely talented, hard working, and mentally tough. Some of my favorites have all of these qualities. Some of them do not.

Also supporting: Davydenko, Federer, Gasquet, Berdych, Moya, Nadal, Ljubicic, Chela, Djokovic and a bunch of chokers

Last edited by MCL : 11-28-2007 at 03:57 PM.
MCL is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 05:07 PM   #6
country flag MusicMyst

MusicMyst has a reputation beyond reputeMusicMyst has a reputation beyond reputeMusicMyst has a reputation beyond reputeMusicMyst has a reputation beyond reputeMusicMyst has a reputation beyond reputeMusicMyst has a reputation beyond reputeMusicMyst has a reputation beyond reputeMusicMyst has a reputation beyond reputeMusicMyst has a reputation beyond reputeMusicMyst has a reputation beyond reputeMusicMyst has a reputation beyond repute

Something tells me that it's about to become much, much harder to recruit Western teachers for schools in Muslim countries. . .
MusicMyst is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 06:28 PM   #7
country flag cmurray

cmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicMyst View Post
Something tells me that it's about to become much, much harder to recruit Western teachers for schools in Muslim countries. . .
Indeed. Who in the world could know and remember stuff like that? If I were her, I'd move out of the Sudan ASAP. utterly ridiculous.
cmurray is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 06:59 PM   #8
country flag R.Federer

R.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond repute

Who in their right mind does this?????????????? Poor thing. These people give up cushier jobs to help in poor countries and they get this in return.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:00 PM   #9
country flag R.Federer

R.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond repute

This is similar to the "outrage" by both Christians and Jewish people in the US when Jesus Christ Superstar arrived on Broadway.

There are some people who treat religion only in serious matters and cannot see a "lighter" version of it.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:20 PM   #10
country flag MCL

MCL has a reputation beyond reputeMCL has a reputation beyond reputeMCL has a reputation beyond reputeMCL has a reputation beyond reputeMCL has a reputation beyond reputeMCL has a reputation beyond reputeMCL has a reputation beyond reputeMCL has a reputation beyond reputeMCL has a reputation beyond reputeMCL has a reputation beyond reputeMCL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Federer View Post
This is similar to the "outrage" by both Christians and Jewish people in the US when Jesus Christ Superstar arrived on Broadway.

There are some people who treat religion only in serious matters and cannot see a "lighter" version of it.
There is a big difference between between facing public outrage and being arrested, charged, and facing a possible lashing/6 months in jail.
--
I hope the matter is dropped altogether or that the teacher is allowed to pay the fine and go home.

I like players that are extremely talented, hard working, and mentally tough. Some of my favorites have all of these qualities. Some of them do not.

Also supporting: Davydenko, Federer, Gasquet, Berdych, Moya, Nadal, Ljubicic, Chela, Djokovic and a bunch of chokers
MCL is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 07:40 PM   #11
country flag R.Federer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCL View Post
There is a big difference between between facing public outrage and being arrested, charged, and facing a possible lashing/6 months in jail.
Those are the known requirements of the religion that she is accused (falsely I think) of denigrating. It doesn't make one religion better or worse. They are all the same in different ways.

Put it this way: a Christian in the US can land up in prison for polygamy. In the Muslim world, they would just have extra wedding gifts from many weddings. In fact, they would be horrified that a person can be imprisoned for doing what is considered "normal" to them. Same thing here.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:56 PM   #12
country flag Julio1974

Julio1974 has a reputation beyond reputeJulio1974 has a reputation beyond reputeJulio1974 has a reputation beyond reputeJulio1974 has a reputation beyond reputeJulio1974 has a reputation beyond reputeJulio1974 has a reputation beyond reputeJulio1974 has a reputation beyond reputeJulio1974 has a reputation beyond reputeJulio1974 has a reputation beyond reputeJulio1974 has a reputation beyond reputeJulio1974 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Federer View Post

There is a huge difference: in the US it is not a crime (and it cannot be a crime) to denigrate a religion. They take free speech a bit more seriously.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:04 PM   #13
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

Another case that proves how much religion contributes to backwardness.
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 08:14 PM   #14
country flag R.Federer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio1974 View Post
There is a huge difference: in the US it is not a crime (and it cannot be a crime) to denigrate a religion. They take free speech a bit more seriously.
That is not correct at all. Free speech has well known limits. Things spoken which can (or is assumed to be able to incite) violence are absolutely not protected under US free speech rights.

And, it's not like denigrating a religion is somehow a smaller or larger crime than other things that are considered criminal elsewhere. I mentioned polygamy. Abortion is another one. In many, many parts of the world, people have genuine free rights on their own bodies. Not so in the USA. To some, denigrating a religion might seem a bigger deal. To those who don't really care about religion but care about personal rights, not having your own choice on your own body might seem like a much bigger deal.

So yes, there are huge differences. But it is definitely not clear that one set of criminal standards is better than another. Islam has only as many "issues" to non-Islam followers as Christianity has to non-Christian and similarly for basically most of the other major religions.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:17 PM   #15
country flag R.Federer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughes View Post
Another case that proves how much religion contributes to backwardness.
True. Everywhere.

Kill a cow in some parts of India. Off to jail.
Eat some pig in Pakistan. Off to jail.
Have an abortion (or help someone else) in some states in the USA. Off to jail.
Be ***** in Saudi Arabia. Off to jail.