Coping against moonballers! - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-28-2007, 10:59 AM   #1
country flag Bernard Black

Bernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond repute
Default Coping against moonballers!

Apologies if a similar thread has already been posted.

I have real trouble dealing with deep, looping heavy topspin. I'm comfortable driving it from my backhand side, it's the forehand that's the real problem. All I can do is moonball back to the opponent, or slice it but this sometimes falls short for an easy put-away.

It would help me so much if I could step in and drive these balls low and aggressively!

Does anyone have any technical insight in how to do this? The pros make it look so easy. It makes me look pathetically amateurish though!
Bernard Black is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2007, 12:06 PM   #2
country flag Rogieva
You can never have enough

Rogieva has a reputation beyond reputeRogieva has a reputation beyond reputeRogieva has a reputation beyond reputeRogieva has a reputation beyond reputeRogieva has a reputation beyond reputeRogieva has a reputation beyond reputeRogieva has a reputation beyond reputeRogieva has a reputation beyond reputeRogieva has a reputation beyond reputeRogieva has a reputation beyond reputeRogieva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coping against moonballers!

Get into the net!
Old 11-29-2007, 03:22 PM   #3
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

You'll have to hit on the rise all the time, or move backwards a full step or two. I prefer the first.
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 10:27 PM   #4

Bernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the tips guys.

I'm due to play a guy on Sunday who is so consistent with this type of shot, last time we played he had me scampering side to side with his big looping top-spinners I couldn't do anything but defend and push it back.

This time I'll try taking the ball on the rise and getting into the net as much as I can...fingers crossed it will be fruitful!
Old 12-01-2007, 12:17 AM   #5
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TidusZidane View Post
Thanks for the tips guys.

I'm due to play a guy on Sunday who is so consistent with this type of shot, last time we played he had me scampering side to side with his big looping top-spinners I couldn't do anything but defend and push it back.

This time I'll try taking the ball on the rise and getting into the net as much as I can...fingers crossed it will be fruitful!
If you have a good slice, try that when you can. That way he won't be able to topspin too deep.

Good match and good luck.
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 05:26 AM   #6
country flag Kolya

Kolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughes View Post
If you have a good slice, try that when you can. That way he won't be able to topspin too deep.

Good match and good luck.
I agree with Hughes.

Use the slice to keep the ball low and taking the ball early.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:30 AM   #7
country flag Marek.

Marek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond repute

I use to have this problem but not I mainly take it early on the forehand side or slice on the backhand.
Marek. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 12:25 AM   #8
country flag Burrow

Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute

It's a real joy to play against moon ballers if you have pretty heavy flat strokes, like I do. It automatically gives you the upper hand in any rally, if you can hit one penetrating heavy shot placed well to either side.

If you can do that, they are either going to hit an even weaker moon ball or a slice (very rarely will you see a consistent moon baller hit a hard shot back to you if you are bossing the point) so this allows you to get into the net for the put away.

If you can't do that, and you are effective at dominating the point, it should only take you 3 or 4 strokes to finish the point.

I don't know what you mean by taking them low, take them on the rise, it gives you more court to hit into and it gives the opponent less time.

Practise hitting aggressive groundstrokes off both sides.
Placing the ball well in the court.
Taking the ball on the rise.
Volleys.

If you can do this you should have no problems against moon ballers.
Burrow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 06:07 AM   #9
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, ending play as quick as you can is a great way to shut out moonballers. Moonballers, although it is entirely legal and a strategy, should not play tennis, Lol... I mean, is it fun to actually just sit there and win points by being Mr. Lobster?

Coming to the net is a good way, but I like to piss them off by playing dropshots and topspin lobs. It makes them run, plus it is an easier strategy for me to pull off consistently.
HKz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 02:25 PM   #10

Thanks for all the help guys, I've now overcome my fear of the Nadal-lites out there!

My volleys have improved massively since I created this thread, since I've been playing non-stop doubles. I'm now happy to venture forward from the baseline in singles and it's helped me win points at net where in the past I'd have struggled on the baseline with their heavy strokes.

I love tennis, so many different ways to play and win matches
Old 02-14-2008, 09:07 PM   #11
country flag AviramDj

AviramDj is on a distinguished road

Catch the ball on the rise and learn how to do Approach to the net in 3 stages .
Stage 1 - catch the ball early
stage 2 - preperation voley
stage 3 - end voley at the net and finish the loser moonballer .

Usually players that moonball do it cause thats all their capable . finish them !!!
(like in mortal combat)
AviramDj is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 08:49 PM   #12
country flag sorrowman

sorrowman has a reputation beyond reputesorrowman has a reputation beyond reputesorrowman has a reputation beyond reputesorrowman has a reputation beyond reputesorrowman has a reputation beyond reputesorrowman has a reputation beyond reputesorrowman has a reputation beyond reputesorrowman has a reputation beyond reputesorrowman has a reputation beyond reputesorrowman has a reputation beyond reputesorrowman has a reputation beyond repute

What you can do with a moonballer its up to your tennis lvl and what shots you can hit...For example ,to hit a powerfull hyper forehand (I think its the same with what the other guys said "to hit on the rise" ) its not so easy...You must practice on this shot , but its very strong weapon generaly to your game ...For me this is the best solution ...
Old 03-02-2008, 01:26 PM   #13
country flag Jackie Stephens

Jackie Stephens has a reputation beyond reputeJackie Stephens has a reputation beyond reputeJackie Stephens has a reputation beyond reputeJackie Stephens has a reputation beyond reputeJackie Stephens has a reputation beyond reputeJackie Stephens has a reputation beyond reputeJackie Stephens has a reputation beyond reputeJackie Stephens has a reputation beyond reputeJackie Stephens has a reputation beyond reputeJackie Stephens has a reputation beyond reputeJackie Stephens has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrow View Post
It's a real joy to play against moon ballers if you have pretty heavy flat strokes, like I do. It automatically gives you the upper hand in any rally, if you can hit one penetrating heavy shot placed well to either side.

If you can do that, they are either going to hit an even weaker moon ball or a slice (very rarely will you see a consistent moon baller hit a hard shot back to you if you are bossing the point) so this allows you to get into the net for the put away.

If you can't do that, and you are effective at dominating the point, it should only take you 3 or 4 strokes to finish the point.

I don't know what you mean by taking them low, take them on the rise, it gives you more court to hit into and it gives the opponent less time.

Practise hitting aggressive groundstrokes off both sides.
Placing the ball well in the court.
Taking the ball on the rise.
Volleys.

If you can do this you should have no problems against moon ballers.
That's pretty true, I have very heavy flat strokes on my forehand and backhand but still generate enough spin to keep the ball in the court. What ever you do don't push it back, I prefer doing the same with a big loop back to him and if you have a good backhand slice that always works.
Jackie Stephens is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 04:52 AM   #14
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute

While moonballing is a really lame tactic, the only thing you can do about these types of players is to hit on the rise and to make sure they are on the run constantly. Also throwing in a lot of dropshot/lob combinations will discourage them. Also come to the net as much as you can to finish off points, however you will have to make sure that you hit solid volleys or hope that you have a good overhead. If you are going to come to the net remember to end the point ASAP, do not get in a baseline > volley rally.
HKz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote