Rudd focuses on global warming - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-25-2007, 11:49 AM   #1
country flag Bilbo

Bilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Rudd focuses on global warming

SYDNEY, Australia (AP) -- Newly elected leader Kevin Rudd moved quickly Sunday to bring Australia into international talks on fighting global warming, and to head off potentially thorny relations with the United States and key Asian neighbors.

The emphatic victory for Rudd's Labor Party swings Australia toward the political left after almost 12 years of conservative rule, and puts it at odds with key security ally Washington on two crucial policy issues -- Iraq and global warming.

The day after sweeping to power in general elections, Rudd went straight into work mode, holding meetings with government officials about the mechanics of signing the Kyoto Protocol on cutting greenhouse gas emissions.

He also took phone calls from foreign leaders highly relevant to Australia.

Britain, New Zealand and Indonesia noted that Rudd's election would boost international efforts to address climate change -- ousted Prime Minister John Howard had refused to sign the Kyoto pact.

Malaysia's leader said Rudd's plan to pull Australia's 550 combat troops from Iraq would also improve the country's international standing, the Malaysian national news agency Bernama reported.

Rudd spoke by phone with President Bush late Saturday. Rudd declined to give details of the conversation, but said he plans to visit Washington next year.

The leaders agreed during the call that they looked forward to working together, said White House National Security Council spokesman Gordon Johndroe.

Rudd, a Chinese-speaking former diplomat, also talked with Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono, accepting his invitation to attend a December U.N. meeting in Bali to map out the world's next steps against climate change.

On Sunday, at his first news conference, Rudd promised "action, and action now" on climate change and nominated education, health and a high-speed Internet network as other top priorities of his government. He said Labor lawmakers were due to meet on Thursday, and he hoped his Cabinet would be sworn in soon after that.

Rudd's election brought a sharp and mortifying end to the 11-year rule of Howard, Australia's second-longest serving leader and a strong ally of Bush.

Howard also faces the possible embarrassment of losing his own district seat in Parliament -- a fate suffered only once before by a sitting prime minister in 106 years of federal government.

Howard, who reshaped Australia's image abroad with his unwavering support for the U.S. war on terrorism and in Iraq, failed to read the signs that voters had grown tired of his rule.

But aside from Iraq and Kyoto, the bulk of Australia's foreign, trade and economic policies are not expected to change much under Rudd.

"The Australian people have decided that we as a nation will move forward," Rudd said in a victory speech late Saturday. "To embrace the future and together as Australians to unite and write a new page in our nation's history."

With 75 percent of the more than 13.5 million ballots counted, Labor had won more than 53 percent of the vote and a clear majority of at least 83 places in Parliament's 150-seat lower house, official Australian Electoral Commission results showed.

Howard's Liberal-National coalition had 46.6 percent of the vote, and 47 parliamentary seats. Howard's district of Bennelong hung in the balance, with the final outcome to be decided by postal votes to be counted in the next few days.

Howard had campaigned on his economic management, arguing that Rudd could not be trusted to continue Australia's 17 years of unbroken economic growth, fueled by China's and India's hunger for Australian coal and other minerals.

Rudd, 50, had argued that Howard, at 68, was out of ideas.

Source: http://edition.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/as....ap/index.html

This Rudd seems to be good
Bilbo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2007, 02:16 PM   #2
country flag Jim Jones

Jim Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jones has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rudd focuses on global warming

Action is more important than words. So let us not get carried away yet.

Also Malaysia should improve its treatment of ethnic Indians and Chinese before lecturing others. Can you believe it if I told you that the majority Malays get....affirmative action!

Rudd is a moderate like Howard. There is more differences in style than substance thankfully

Last edited by Jim Jones : 11-25-2007 at 02:27 PM.
Jim Jones is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 04:17 PM   #3
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

Ridiculous that someone would vote for a politician because of the global warming fallacy.
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 04:28 PM   #4
country flag Bilbo

Bilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughes View Post
Ridiculous that someone would vote for a politician because of the global warming fallacy.
you are right. it's ridiculous. we don't need our planet to live :retard:

Maybe you should start looking in your own country first. The size of the rain forest Brazil is destroying each day is a big disaster for this planet. Brazil is one of the main contributor of destroying this planet.

The most important thing for any human is the surface you've under your feet and not how many and how well people live on this planet. So the environment should have priority for any politician.

Last edited by Bilbo : 11-25-2007 at 04:41 PM.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:54 PM   #5
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
you are right. it's ridiculous. we don't need our planet to live :retard:

Maybe you should start looking in your own country first. The size of the rain forest Brazil is destroying each day is a big disaster for this planet. Brazil is one of the main contributor of destroying this planet.

The most important thing for any human is the surface you've under your feet and not how many and how well people live on this planet. So the environment should have priority for any politician.
There have been much more severe global warmings before. It's a natural cycle. Until the 1970s there was global cooling. This is all a fallacy taken as scientific fact so NGOs can load on cash from people who are easily impressionable.

What's the big deal about the rain forest? The main source of oxygen for the planer are ocean algae.
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 06:47 PM   #6
country flag Jim Jones

Jim Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jones has a reputation beyond repute

By the way, Australia will have its war on terror stance intact. Remember, Australia was affected by terrorism in Bali before 9-11. Australia will keep its troops for some more months but will still provide moral support to Americans.

Rudd refused to discuss Iraq in detail. Style over substance once again.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:57 AM   #7
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
What's the big deal about the rain forest? The main source of oxygen for the planer are ocean algae.
Someone with the attitude of Bilbo would think it justified that the Brazilian economy should suffer so that the more industrialised countries can enjoy the oxygen produced by Brazilian trees. Brazil should just say, OK, if you want the oxygen Brazil produces from its forests, then send money and we will leave the trees standing. Someone could work out the value of the oxygen produced by a tree and when Brazil receives the money to pay for it, that tree will be saved. I am sure Al Gore would think this a great idea.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:03 AM   #8
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
There have been much more severe global warmings before. It's a natural cycle. Until the 1970s there was global cooling. This is all a fallacy taken as scientific fact so NGOs can load on cash from people who are easily impressionabl
The Gore worshippers will just not address the question of how much of global warming is natural. It would be detrimental to a huge industry of political environmentalism. So they just say the debate is over.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:42 AM   #9
country flag Ferrero Forever

Ferrero Forever has a reputation beyond reputeFerrero Forever has a reputation beyond reputeFerrero Forever has a reputation beyond reputeFerrero Forever has a reputation beyond reputeFerrero Forever has a reputation beyond reputeFerrero Forever has a reputation beyond reputeFerrero Forever has a reputation beyond reputeFerrero Forever has a reputation beyond reputeFerrero Forever has a reputation beyond reputeFerrero Forever has a reputation beyond reputeFerrero Forever has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, the Rudd campaign was hardly focused on global warming. Though he did acknowledge it much more than Howard, global warming was not the only factor that led to Rudd getting elected. Howard is a conservative, not a moderate as Jim Jones said. Rudd is on the right wing faction of the Labor party, but is nowhere near as conservative as Howard is. The Howard/Liberal government recently had the power in both houses of parliament, and they passed legislation on industrial relations, which took away workers rights laws, such as unfair dismissal laws, and they're encouraging AWA's which are individual contracts. People have been getting fired, and then re-hired on a lesser wage and with worse working conditions. These laws have caused massive protests amongst the people in all states, and people have been outraged enough by this issue to vote for Rudd and the Labor party who have vowed to change these laws. Other factors include Australia's involvement in Iraq, Rudd has offered an 'education revolution,' and personally I think Australia will be much better off under Rudd.

Concerning Kyoto, for Australia I believe even though it does greatly concern the environment, Australia had been given an 8% increase in carbon emissions, so that isn't exactly doing wonders for the environment. But it will also assist Australia internationally, by showing that Australia will contribute to internationalism, and also to show that under Rudd, Australia is willing to go against the US. If Bush told Howard to jump, Howard would say how high. Hopefully that will change under Rudd, and it's about time too. Thats just my 2 cents worth.

Juan Monaco, Tommy Robredo, Fernando Gonzalez, Juan Martin Del Potro, David Ferrer, Guillermo Garcia Lopez, Juan Ignatio Chela, Fernando Verdasco, Carlos Moya, Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer, Lucas Arnold Ker, Nicolas Lapentti
Ferrero Forever is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:08 AM   #10
azza

azza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond repute

I VOTED FOR HIM COZ OF WORK CHOICES!!!!!!!! NOT GREEN SHIT yay Kevin 07!
Old 11-26-2007, 10:09 AM   #11
country flag stacy25

stacy25 has a reputation beyond reputestacy25 has a reputation beyond reputestacy25 has a reputation beyond reputestacy25 has a reputation beyond reputestacy25 has a reputation beyond reputestacy25 has a reputation beyond reputestacy25 has a reputation beyond reputestacy25 has a reputation beyond reputestacy25 has a reputation beyond reputestacy25 has a reputation beyond reputestacy25 has a reputation beyond repute

Very proud to call myself an Aussie after Saturday's election result. If Rudd delivers on his promises which I really have faith that he will try and do it should be good times ahead.
stacy25 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 11:58 AM   #12
country flag Peta Pan
Same as it ever was

Peta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanqui Lover View Post
Ok, the Rudd campaign was hardly focused on global warming. Though he did acknowledge it much more than Howard, global warming was not the only factor that led to Rudd getting elected. Howard is a conservative, not a moderate as Jim Jones said. Rudd is on the right wing faction of the Labor party, but is nowhere near as conservative as Howard is. The Howard/Liberal government recently had the power in both houses of parliament, and they passed legislation on industrial relations, which took away workers rights laws, such as unfair dismissal laws, and they're encouraging AWA's which are individual contracts. People have been getting fired, and then re-hired on a lesser wage and with worse working conditions. These laws have caused massive protests amongst the people in all states, and people have been outraged enough by this issue to vote for Rudd and the Labor party who have vowed to change these laws. Other factors include Australia's involvement in Iraq, Rudd has offered an 'education revolution,' and personally I think Australia will be much better off under Rudd.

Concerning Kyoto, for Australia I believe even though it does greatly concern the environment, Australia had been given an 8% increase in carbon emissions, so that isn't exactly doing wonders for the environment. But it will also assist Australia internationally, by showing that Australia will contribute to internationalism, and also to show that under Rudd, Australia is willing to go against the US. If Bush told Howard to jump, Howard would say how high. Hopefully that will change under Rudd, and it's about time too. Thats just my 2 cents worth.
I think that's worth more than 2 cents

Ok, I've always been a Labor girl so I'd always be ecstatic at this result. But I don't think there has ever been a time that we needed a change in government more than we did now.

The IR laws were :retard:... completely unfair to those working for small businesses. That was what destroyed Howards chances more than anything else. Rudd is definitely not as interested in the global warming issue as the Greens party would be but he's a LOT more likely to do something about it than Howard ever would. Hopefully now we'll also get some Greens voted in in the senate to keep them to it!

I'm so glad that Bush has lost his little puppet!

KEVIN07
Peta Pan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 01:07 PM   #13
country flag Bilbo

Howard was a Bush follower. Rudd obviously is not. I like that.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:24 PM   #14
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Rudd won't have to deal with Bush very much considering Dubya will be gone soon.

He has his good points and his bad points, best thing for him is that he isn't John Howard.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 07:14 PM   #15
country flag Jim Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanqui Lover View Post

Of course a lefty like you would think no one on the right can be moderate. On the left Blair is a moderate, Rudd is a moderate, Clinton was a moderate. On the right, Sarkozy is a moderate, Howard is a moderate etc... Bush is not a moderate.