Werthiems Seeding Report - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-22-2002, 09:00 PM   #1
country flag Chloe le Bopper

Chloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Werthiems Seeding Report

Well he's entitled to his opinion

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/ins...22/usopen_men/

Breaking down the U.S. Open draw

Posted: Thursday August 22, 2002 3:31 PM

Sports Illustrated senior writer Jon Wertheim peers into his crystal ball to reveal the fate of the top 16 men's and women's seeds for the U.S. Open. Scroll down to see the first-round matches you shouldn't miss, some darkhorse candidates to advance to Week 2, and his championship predictions.

MEN'S REPORT | Women's Report

1. Lleyton Hewitt: Ordinarily, one would think his bush-league feud with the ATP would detract from his focus, but this is a player who uses discord as fuel. Even so, he has a brutal draw that likely has him facing James Blake in Round 3, Richard Krajicek in Round 4 and Andre Agassi in the semis.

2. Marat Safin: Where is his head? The answer is the difference between running the table and falling to Nicolas Kiefer in his first match.

3. Tommy Haas: He's due for a breakout and men's tennis is due for a human-interest story to compete with the women's. How's this? With his parents still recovering from a harrowing motorcycle accident, übertalented Tommy Boy finds extra motivation to win his first Slam. The tender shoulder is a concern, though.

4. Yevgeny Kafelnikov: A good argument for subjective seeding. "Why? Man" tends to bring his A game to majors, but let's face facts: He has lost three straight matches coming in and he hasn't won more than two rounds at a Slam this year. Get thee to a sports book and bet the farm Jarkko Nieminen gets him in Round 2.

5. Tim Henman: Has the game, but does he have the bloody bottles? Crumpet of a draw has him playing no top-50 opponent until Round 3.

6. Andre Agassi: After a chart-topping early spring, the hits have been few and far between for Dr. 'Dre. Couldn't ask for a better draw. At least until he faces Carlos Moya in Round 4.

7. Juan Carlos Ferrero: The King can play on the hard stuff, but a nasty draw has him facing giant-killer Wayne Arthurs off the bat.

8. Albert Costa: Weird Al has disappeared since winning the French. Plus, he has a 4-7 career record in Queens.

9. Carlos Moya: Cincy winner has some momentum. If his body holds up, look for him in the second week. Fourth-rounder against Agassi could be hermosa.

10. Sebastien Grosjean: Footspeed and consistency should serve him well on concrete, but his act has never played particularly well at Flushing Meadows.

11. Andy Roddick: Despite cracking the top 10, there's a nagging sense that Roddick has backslid this year, mostly because of his mediocre Slam results. A good performance here would erase this perception, and his draw certainly cooperates. Helmets should be required for his second-rounder against Taylor Dent. If Roddick wins that one (and he should), look out.

12. Thomas Johannson: Aussie Open champ withdrew because of injury.

13. Roger Federer: Overdue for a good showing at a Slam. One of the tour's bright lights, he hasn't won a solitary set at a Slam since Australia and is still grieving for his mentor, Peter Carter, tragically killed in an auto accident last month.

14. Jiri Novak: Often overlooked but often reaches second week. Still, we can't help think Richard Krajicek gets him in Round 1.

15. Guillermo Cańas: Even before Toronto, we knew he could play on hard courts. A likely quarterfinalist.

16. David Nalbandian: Nalbandian the Andean has gone Costa on us since Wimbledon. Little reason to expect a reemergence anytime soon.

17. Pete Sampras: Your eyes aren't deceiving you: The greatest ever is seeded lower than someone named Nalbandian. But as he puts it, "You have to remember who I am and where I'm playing. ... The U.S. Open is where you shine and that is where I hope to shine." Uh, OK.

LOWER SEEDS WORTH WATCHING

19. Xavier Malisse: Dangerous, wildly talented player -- provided he doesn't push the panic button. A fairly benign draw doesn't hurt, either.

25. James Blake: All aboard the JB bandwagon. What a boost it would be for men's tennis if he made a run into the second week -- to say nothing of winning the whole enchilada. May well play Hewitt in Round 3. (Watch out for those foot faults.)

28. Fernando Gonzalez: The best player you've never seen. Behind blistering strokes, he has already beaten Carlos Moya, Sampras, Henman and Roddick this year.

30. Andrei Pavel: No threat to win, but a player no one much wants to face.

32. Max Mirnyi: Results have tailed off, but serve always makes him a threat.

33. Greg Rusedski: Can he beat Hewitt twice in three weeks? Says the Grinning One: "In the past 12 days I've won a tournament and beaten the top three players in the world, so I have to think that not too many people will want to see my name in the first round of the U.S. Open."

DARKHORSE NATION

Wayne Arthurs: When he beats Ferrero off the bat, you can say you saw it here first.

Jarkko Nieminen: Likely to oust Kafelnikov in Round 2.

Richard Krajicek: For a guy all but consigned to retirement, he's been awfully good this summer

FIRST-ROUND MATCHES TO WATCH

Ferrero vs. Arthurs: Can Australian giant killer strike again?

Olivier Rochus vs. Hicham Arazi: Two of the tour's better shotmakers in the Randy Newman special.

Safin vs. Nicolas Kiefer: Head-case special.

Julien Boutter vs. Gustavo Kuerten: Frenchman has a 2-0 lifetime record against Kuerten -- and that's when Guga's been healthy.

Costa vs. Magnus Norman: Beating the French Open champ would be real boost to Norman, a former top-five player.

Mark Philippoussis vs. Sjeng Schalken: Can they replicate their classic confrontation from Wimbledon 2000?

No. 22 Marcelo Rios vs. Jonas Bjorkman: Turn-back-the-clock night.

PREDICTIONS

Semifinals: Hewitt vs. Agassi; Haas vs. Fernando Gonzalez
Final: Hewitt vs. Haas
Champion: Haas

Chocking makes me sad.
Chloe le Bopper is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2002, 09:01 PM   #2

Chloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond repute

Chocking makes me sad.
Old 08-22-2002, 09:11 PM   #3

Let me start pointing out the things that I find wrong with this.

For starters :

http://www.atptennis.com/en/players/...layer2=arthurs

2002 Cincinnati TMS, Hard, Q
Ohio, USA Hard Q Ferrero 6 4 7 6

2001 Cincinnati TMS, Hard, R64
Ohio, USA Hard R64 Ferrero 6 4 6 4

So he hasn't ever even lost a set to Arthurs on hard, and all of a sudden he's going to drop three?

Thanks for being objective again Jon

Chocking makes me sad.
Old 08-22-2002, 09:14 PM   #4
country flag Scotso

Scotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond repute

Haas champion? lol!

Ferrero down to Arthurs? lol!

And a big LOL at his stupid xenophobic remarks.

Le Poussin! Faithfully ignoring the haters since 1995.

Le Poulailler de Poussin! (Simontarded.)

Ron Paul for President 2012!
Scotso is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 09:17 PM   #5

Also:

Nalbandian has been pretty forgettable in 3 of his tournaments this summer (3 first round losses). But only ONE of those were on hard.

His hard court record this summer is 3-2 with TOronto and Cincinatti. Nothing to rave about, but he did reach the quarters at Toronto (which was playing quite fast), fighting off three match poitns to beat Tim Henman.

Of course, why mention that when he can take a jab at another "clay courter" (ignoring the fact that davids best results haven't JUST been on clay)

Oh yes, but Krajicek has had a great summer so look out!

He has gone 2-2 with TOronto and Cincinatti.
The highest ranked player he's beaten is Novak (he also beat Mark).

So David has been forgettable, but Richard is dangerous? Umm...|?

Chocking makes me sad.
Old 08-22-2002, 09:18 PM   #6
country flag Scotso

Scotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond reputeScotso has a reputation beyond repute

Werthless strikes again

Le Poussin! Faithfully ignoring the haters since 1995.

Le Poulailler de Poussin! (Simontarded.)

Ron Paul for President 2012!
Scotso is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 10:42 PM   #7
country flag Goonergal
Splish, Splosh

Goonergal has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergal has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergal has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergal has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergal has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergal has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergal has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergal has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergal has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergal has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergal has a reputation beyond repute

Old 08-22-2002, 11:01 PM   #8
country flag C'mon_Lley

C'mon_Lley has a reputation beyond reputeC'mon_Lley has a reputation beyond reputeC'mon_Lley has a reputation beyond reputeC'mon_Lley has a reputation beyond reputeC'mon_Lley has a reputation beyond reputeC'mon_Lley has a reputation beyond reputeC'mon_Lley has a reputation beyond reputeC'mon_Lley has a reputation beyond reputeC'mon_Lley has a reputation beyond reputeC'mon_Lley has a reputation beyond reputeC'mon_Lley has a reputation beyond repute

C'mon_Lley is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 11:03 PM   #9

Glad to see we all agree

Chocking makes me sad.
Old 08-22-2002, 11:04 PM   #10

Though I don't really think that a healthy Haas would have been that bad of a bet for the title.

Yet, at last check, Haas wasn't healthy

Let me recall who he picked to win the last two slams? Agassi at the French, then Roger at Wimbledon?

Tommy is doomed

Chocking makes me sad.
Old 08-22-2002, 11:20 PM   #11
country flag Pea

Pea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond reputePea has a reputation beyond repute

PFFF! Didn't even mention Alex! So I've ignored him already!
{{{Janko Tipsarevic}}}
{{{Andreas Vinciguerra}}}
{{{Mikhail Youzhny}}}
(Agustin Calleri)(Hicham Arazi)(Nicolas Kiefer)(Sebastien Grosjean)(Rafael Nadal)
(Tommy Robredo)(Xavier Malisse)(Gustavo Kuerten)(Rainer Schuettler)(Fernando Gonzalez)
(Mark Philippoussis)(Gaston Gaudio)(Albert Montanes)(Ivan Ljubicic)(Mariano Zabaleta) & Many More...

FoRevEr:
{{{STEFAN EDBERG}}}
Pea is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 11:58 PM   #12
tennischick

tennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond repute

i agree with this tho'...:

Quote:
11. Andy Roddick: Despite cracking the top 10, there's a nagging sense that Roddick has backslid this year, mostly because of his mediocre Slam results. A good performance here would erase this perception, and his draw certainly cooperates. Helmets should be required for his second-rounder against Taylor Dent. If Roddick wins that one (and he should), look out.
tennischick is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 12:25 AM   #13
lurker

lurker has a reputation beyond reputelurker has a reputation beyond reputelurker has a reputation beyond reputelurker has a reputation beyond reputelurker has a reputation beyond reputelurker has a reputation beyond reputelurker has a reputation beyond reputelurker has a reputation beyond reputelurker has a reputation beyond reputelurker has a reputation beyond reputelurker has a reputation beyond repute

Haas champion??? Noooo...someone tell Wertheim to put his jinx-like predictions away!! Though I WOULD like to see a Haas/Hewitt final. Now that the grinning joker has been removed from Hewitt's quarter, I think he can make it through but guess what...he's now in Haas' quarter!!

Federer lost his mentor?? So THAT'S what's wrong with him!!
lurker is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 02:32 AM   #14

In all due respect, Federer was losing before that happened.

But it certaintly puts a light on his recent performances, for sure.

Chocking makes me sad.
Old 08-23-2002, 02:40 AM   #15
country flag TheBoiledEgg

TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute

poor Tommy has been blessed with the poisoned chalice.
Berdych*Tsonga*Nishikori*Chardy

Goodbye Marat 1996-2009
TheBoiledEgg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote