Do You Believe In A "God"? - Page 47 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Do You Believe In A "God"?

Yes, I'm a Theist (Believe in holy revelation via a "Holy Book") 57 20.28%
Yes, I'm a Deist (Believe in God based upon the existence of the Universe and evolved life) 39 13.88%
Perhaps, I'm Agnostic (As there is conflicting, or a lack of, evidence you just don't know) 68 24.20%
No, I'm an Atheist (science will eventually understand the origins of the Big Bang/Universe) 117 41.64%
Voters: 281. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-06-2013, 11:51 PM   #691
country flag Mr. Oracle

Mr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do You Believe In A "God"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noleta View Post
What if god's a woman?

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
Seriously though, I think neither male or female wise Noleta. And why we are all equal. Maybe the horizontal mumbo jumbo is just a tool, albeit a very fun one

DJOKOCOASTER

Last edited by Mr. Oracle : 02-06-2013 at 11:59 PM.
Mr. Oracle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2013, 11:53 PM   #692
country flag Mr. Oracle

Mr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnet View Post
There's no god.
I wish we could say the same thing for your latest account!

DJOKOCOASTER
Old 02-07-2013, 12:15 AM   #693
country flag Mr. Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshift36188 View Post
Ofc it can't, it doesn't exist.

Depends on your definitions. Let's say tomorrow we discover the tooth fairy, we study it and we are able to scientifically explain how this being works. Is it still a tooth fairy, or something else?

My point is, God, like the tooth fairy, is the personification of magic, but there is no magic, everything has logic.

Let's assume God exists and created what we call Universe. When science finally finds this being and explains how he did it, is it still God, or is he just a very knowledgeable and technologically advanced being/civilization?

If the definition of God is the personification of something that can't be explained, then what created our Universe is no longer God (reductio ad absurdum).

Therefore anything that exists doesn't fall under the definition of God and therefore God doesn't exist.

All the fuss about the God's existence throughtout millennia is quite ironic, because the word/concept "God" is the ultimate definition of non-existence.
Then there's the possibility that our philosophical attempts to explain the infinite and eternal are inadequate. It fascinates me that some of the most brilliant scientific minds we have ever known fall into both camps (intelligent design vs chance). As a grossly ill-equipped layman, the fact that this debate is still ongoing in that community says a lot. Nothing worse than undergrads equipped with science degrees who are certain that atoms/quarks are the sum total of our constitution. As an educator, I believe that there is room for discussing both possibilities and that no questions should be excluded.

DJOKOCOASTER
Old 02-07-2013, 12:55 AM   #694
country flag Noleta

Noleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Oracle View Post
Seriously though, I think neither male or female wise Noleta. And why we are all equal. Maybe the horizontal mumbo jumbo is just a tool, albeit a very fun one
I don't think men&women are equal

Old 02-07-2013, 02:40 AM   #695
country flag Mr. Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noleta View Post
I don't think men&women are equal

i don't know do you?

DJOKOCOASTER
Old 02-07-2013, 10:25 AM   #696
country flag Lopez

Lopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Oracle View Post
Then there's the possibility that our philosophical attempts to explain the infinite and eternal are inadequate. It fascinates me that some of the most brilliant scientific minds we have ever known fall into both camps (intelligent design vs chance). As a grossly ill-equipped layman, the fact that this debate is still ongoing in that community says a lot. Nothing worse than undergrads equipped with science degrees who are certain that atoms/quarks are the sum total of our constitution. As an educator, I believe that there is room for discussing both possibilities and that no questions should be excluded.
Are you implying that evolution is a process of chance?

I agree that the beginning of the universe is an interesting question and some good (however not convincing for me) philosophical points can be raised in favor of theism there.

Evolution vs. ID is not an interesting debate however. That battle has been won by evolution decades ago.
lol, who will beat him? Wawrinka? Berdych? Gulbis? Rosol? Federer?

Only Del Potro can take him out before the semis, and he won't. Nadal is winning the AO, bet your house on it.
Somewhere out there, there is a homeless person who once took betting advice from GSMnadal
Lopez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:32 AM   #697
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshift36188 View Post
Let's assume God exists and created what we call Universe. When science finally finds this being and explains how he did it, is it still God, or is he just a very knowledgeable and technologically advanced being/civilization?
Yup, that's the interesting part. I don't think those are mutually exclusive. Religions by all means claim God is very knowledgeable (and therefore obviously more advanced as well); Spanish conquistadors were considered "gods" when they visited Americas for the first time etc. Anyway, if someone can create a universe, he would definitely have enough credentials to be God or CEO or whatever in that universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
Evolution vs. ID is not an interesting debate however. That battle has been won by evolution decades ago.
I think the sides are wrongly set there. I think it shouldn't be evolution vs. ID, more like whether evolution = ID
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”

Last edited by Time Violation : 02-07-2013 at 10:46 AM.
Time Violation is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:36 PM   #698
country flag born_on_clay

born_on_clay has a reputation beyond reputeborn_on_clay has a reputation beyond reputeborn_on_clay has a reputation beyond reputeborn_on_clay has a reputation beyond reputeborn_on_clay has a reputation beyond reputeborn_on_clay has a reputation beyond reputeborn_on_clay has a reputation beyond reputeborn_on_clay has a reputation beyond reputeborn_on_clay has a reputation beyond reputeborn_on_clay has a reputation beyond reputeborn_on_clay has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I do
62 Titles | 26 Masters 1000 |Olympic Games Singles Gold Medalist | 126 Weeks at no.1
3 year end no.1 | 4 Davis Cups | 674 singles match wins
born_on_clay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:46 PM   #699
country flag VamosRafaNadal

VamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond repute

I'm Agnostic. To be a religious person you have to believe and then you'll see, but I want to see and then believe... as this is hardly possible, I'm not religious, but I'm not atheist too, because there aren't any proofs that God does not exist (as the aren't any proofs that shows that God exists).

It is something about how much do you want to believe. Maybe when I will get older I will believe more and more, because I will see how the life goes on and maybe I will realize that there is something more in this world than what we apparently see.
FITD: #17 (Best: #9) | Runner-up: Cincinnati 2013
PAW: #17 (Best: #11) | Titles: Indian Wells 2013
Suicide Tennis: #1 (Best: #1) | Titles: Cincinnati 2013
Tennis Tipping - Singles: #12 (Best: #12) | Titles: ATP Houston 2014 | Final: US OPEN 2013, Arad CH 2013, Tampere CH 2013, Poitiers Fut 2014
Tennis Tipping - Doubles: #127 (Best: #126) | Final: Dallas CH 2014 (w/orangehat), Binghamton CH 2013 (w/randy72391)
Rafael Nadal: The King of Clay. The Warrior. The Mental Giant.
Grigor Dimitrov - Richard Gasquet - Stanislas Wawrinka - Mikhail Youzhny - Tommy Haas - Ernests Gulbis - Jerzy Janowicz - Dominic Thiem - Malek Jaziri - Ricardas Berankis - Marton Fucsovics - James McGee - Borna Coric - Juan Lizariturry
VamosRafaNadal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:50 PM   #700
country flag VamosRafaNadal

VamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond repute

There is a quote that I really like: Anselm of Canterbury defined God as "that than which nothing greater can be conceived".

So as a philosophy lover I believe in this idea: God is a way to name what we can't see, what we can't justify, what we can't reach... God is the metaphysical idea about human limitations.
FITD: #17 (Best: #9) | Runner-up: Cincinnati 2013
PAW: #17 (Best: #11) | Titles: Indian Wells 2013
Suicide Tennis: #1 (Best: #1) | Titles: Cincinnati 2013
Tennis Tipping - Singles: #12 (Best: #12) | Titles: ATP Houston 2014 | Final: US OPEN 2013, Arad CH 2013, Tampere CH 2013, Poitiers Fut 2014
Tennis Tipping - Doubles: #127 (Best: #126) | Final: Dallas CH 2014 (w/orangehat), Binghamton CH 2013 (w/randy72391)
Rafael Nadal: The King of Clay. The Warrior. The Mental Giant.
Grigor Dimitrov - Richard Gasquet - Stanislas Wawrinka - Mikhail Youzhny - Tommy Haas - Ernests Gulbis - Jerzy Janowicz - Dominic Thiem - Malek Jaziri - Ricardas Berankis - Marton Fucsovics - James McGee - Borna Coric - Juan Lizariturry
VamosRafaNadal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:40 PM   #701
country flag Monkey D. Rufy

Monkey D. Rufy has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey D. Rufy has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey D. Rufy has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey D. Rufy has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey D. Rufy has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey D. Rufy has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey D. Rufy has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey D. Rufy has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey D. Rufy has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey D. Rufy has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey D. Rufy has a reputation beyond repute

Monkey D. Rufy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:04 PM   #702
country flag Slade
Anti-Dull Alliance

Slade has a reputation beyond reputeSlade has a reputation beyond reputeSlade has a reputation beyond reputeSlade has a reputation beyond reputeSlade has a reputation beyond reputeSlade has a reputation beyond reputeSlade has a reputation beyond reputeSlade has a reputation beyond reputeSlade has a reputation beyond reputeSlade has a reputation beyond reputeSlade has a reputation beyond repute

So I'm still an atheist and don't see any reason to believe in a God.

What's the most convincing argument for a higher power these days? Cosmological argument? Fine tuning?

The closest thing to a deity that I worship would be the Sun, because at least there is proof it exists and without it there is no human life as we know it.

Roger & Pete - Offensive all-court genius. Nadull - Defensive pusher.

If Nadull had an argument for GOAT, it's that he got so far with no talent. It's like dragging a dying weasel across a long road. He gets there, but it's an ugly sight to behold. Nadull is a classless cheat, and a pretender.

Roger Federer(on Nadull): "He's one-dimensional, he always plays the same way."
Slade is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 12:16 AM   #703
country flag BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slade View Post
The closest thing to a deity that I worship would be the Sun, because at least there is proof it exists and without it there is no human life as we know it.
"I worship the sun, but I don't pray to the sun, I pray to Joe Pesci, cause he looks like a guy who can get things done."
BauerAlmeida is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 03:33 PM   #704
country flag Htom Sirveaux

Htom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond reputeHtom Sirveaux has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. Here's a short documentary that covers the history and practice of my religion:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slade View Post
I hate tennis
Htom Sirveaux is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 03:41 PM   #705
country flag Avi13
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avi13 has a reputation beyond reputeAvi13 has a reputation beyond reputeAvi13 has a reputation beyond reputeAvi13 has a reputation beyond reputeAvi13 has a reputation beyond reputeAvi13 has a reputation beyond reputeAvi13 has a reputation beyond reputeAvi13 has a reputation beyond reputeAvi13 has a reputation beyond reputeAvi13 has a reputation beyond reputeAvi13 has a reputation beyond repute

I do not follow any Religion.

But,i do believe there is a "God".

1 AO - 8 RG - 2 WB - 2 USO @ 13 Slams

26 Masters
Avi13 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote