Do You Believe In A "God"? - Page 36 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Do You Believe In A "God"?

Yes, I'm a Theist (Believe in holy revelation via a "Holy Book") 57 19.52%
Yes, I'm a Deist (Believe in God based upon the existence of the Universe and evolved life) 40 13.70%
Perhaps, I'm Agnostic (As there is conflicting, or a lack of, evidence you just don't know) 73 25.00%
No, I'm an Atheist (science will eventually understand the origins of the Big Bang/Universe) 122 41.78%
Voters: 292. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-23-2009, 07:28 PM   #526
country flag habibko

habibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do You Believe In A "God"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arend View Post
Pretty good discussion, guys. Habibko won it by reason of having an argument that resembles mine.
who's da winner?

Last edited by habibko : 10-23-2009 at 07:39 PM.
habibko is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2009, 09:06 AM   #527
country flag Jōris

Jōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond repute

Life develops anywhere in the universe where the conditions allow it and nobody can prove where the immense drive of simple cells to mutate, adapt and survive into complex organisms comes from. Deity did it is as rational as a material explanation.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:08 PM   #528
country flag Clydey
Cutedey

Clydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Life develops anywhere in the universe where the conditions allow it and nobody can prove where the immense drive of simple cells to mutate, adapt and survive into complex organisms comes from. Deity did it is as rational as a material explanation.
That's not rational. That's very much irrational.

"I don't know how it happened, so I'm going to say it was an invisible man in the sky."

There was a time when science didn't know how humans got here and couldn't explain life's diversity. God was used as the explanation. Charles Darwin came along and made a mockery of that notion. The same thing will almost certainly happen again. And when it does, the religious people will point to something else as proof of God. And when science figures that out, they'll point to something else, and so on and so on.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:25 PM   #529
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydey View Post

"I don't know how it happened, so I'm going to say it was an invisible man in the sky."

There was a time when science didn't know how humans got here and couldn't explain life's diversity. God was used as the explanation. Charles Darwin came along and made a mockery of that notion. The same thing will almost certainly happen again. And when it does, the religious people will point to something else as proof of God. And when science figures that out, they'll point to something else, and so on and so on.
Isn't Andy Murray enough proof of God's existence?

Tennis has no blood passport system, and does basically no out of competition testing.

The methods and drugs used by Armstrong in 1999 would work in tennis right now, with zero chance of being caught (not slightly surprising to anyone familiar with the topic, btw).
Har-Tru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 12:37 PM   #530
country flag Clydey
Cutedey

Clydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Har-Tru View Post
Isn't Andy Murray enough proof of God's existence?
You see, that's your best argument. You should have hit me with that one from the beginning.

Muzza
Old 10-24-2009, 12:50 PM   #531
country flag Echoes

Echoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Is it more rational (hate the term) than saying "I don't know how it happened, so I'm going to say it was by chance."

I don't think so. I would say that's just as if a hurricane could make a nuclear power station.

ID power !
Echoes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 01:31 PM   #532
country flag Clydey
Cutedey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Is it more rational (hate the term) than saying "I don't know how it happened, so I'm going to say it was by chance."

I don't think so. I would say that's just as if a hurricane could make a nuclear power station.

ID power !
You're talking about something else now. You're talking about evolution. I don't think anyone here is dumb enough to dispute the fact that we evolved. And evolution isn't "by chance". Do you know anything about the theory of evolution?

Gotta love the fact that you hate the term "rational". You're probably the type of person who values faith above all else and views it as a virtue. Believing in things without evidence isn't to be admired. It's to be mocked.
Old 10-24-2009, 01:41 PM   #533
country flag Echoes

Echoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond repute

Rationality means evidence? Wow I discovered something.
Old 10-24-2009, 01:59 PM   #534
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You see, that's your best argument. You should have hit me with that one from the beginning.

Muzza

Tennis has no blood passport system, and does basically no out of competition testing.

The methods and drugs used by Armstrong in 1999 would work in tennis right now, with zero chance of being caught (not slightly surprising to anyone familiar with the topic, btw).
Old 10-24-2009, 03:09 PM   #535
country flag Jōris

Jōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I'm wondering do you come from a religious background? Because you really come off as a bitter atheist with a bone to pick.

I don't believe in a father figure that created the universe, I don't know how you read that in my posts. My idea of a deity is amorphous, like gravity or the will to live.

IMO the notion of God still has its uses. Do you have any idea how many countries would have been nuked by America if they were not constrained by a fear of God? Besides the Bible says you're a ****. I happen to agree with that.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:27 PM   #536
country flag Clydey
Cutedey

Quote:
I'm wondering do you come from a religious background? Because you really come off as a bitter atheist with a bone to pick.

I don't believe in a father figure that created the universe, I don't know how you read that in my posts. My idea of a deity is amorphous, like gravity or the will to live.

IMO the notion of God still has its uses. Do you have any idea how many countries would have been nuked by America if they were not constrained by a fear of God? Besides the Bible says you're a ****. I happen to agree with that.
Yes, I was raised Catholic. It wasn't hellfire and brimstone shit. I come from a religious background and grew out of it, just as I grew out of Santa and the easter bunny. I'm not bitter. I just think the notion of a deity is ridiculous. There's no evidence for it. By all means believe what you like, but let's not pretend it's rational.

Finally, the bible gets something right. I am a ****.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:56 PM   #537
country flag Sapeod
77 years later...

Sapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond repute

Lol Clydey, you are very adamant in your arguments. You never give up or stand down

SLAMS: 2 WINS, 5 finals, 7 semi-finals, 7 quarter-finals...
MASTERS: 9 WINS, 3 finals, 8 semi-finals, 17 quarter-finals...
WTF: 3 semi-finals...
OLYMPICS: 1 gold, 1 silver...
CAREER PRIZE MONEY: $32,454,018 (5th of all time)
MATCH WIN/LOSS: 465-146...
TITLES: 29 and counting...
Sapeod is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 04:36 PM   #538
country flag Echoes

Sure. He never answered mine. So I win.
Old 10-24-2009, 04:44 PM   #539
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

"God is dead", Nietzsche.

"Nietzsche is dead", God.

Old 10-24-2009, 04:49 PM   #540
country flag Clydey
Cutedey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Sure. He never answered mine. So I win.
It didn't merit an answer.