Do You Believe In A "God"? - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Do You Believe In A "God"?

Yes, I'm a Theist (Believe in holy revelation via a "Holy Book") 57 20.28%
Yes, I'm a Deist (Believe in God based upon the existence of the Universe and evolved life) 39 13.88%
Perhaps, I'm Agnostic (As there is conflicting, or a lack of, evidence you just don't know) 68 24.20%
No, I'm an Atheist (science will eventually understand the origins of the Big Bang/Universe) 117 41.64%
Voters: 281. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-18-2007, 05:21 PM   #31
country flag StevoTG

StevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do You Believe In A "God"?

I guess I'm somewhere between Agnostic and Atheist. I don't know if there is a God, I think that it's unlikely - I wouldn't totally write it off but if you forced me to chose I would answer that I don't believe in God (it just seems sensible and more likely to me)... and I'm definately not into organised religion.

Interesting thread though
StevoTG is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2007, 05:23 PM   #32
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena View Post
God is a God who created mankind with the possibility to decide himself what he wants to do and He will ALWAYS respect that, though He doesn't like the decision if it is something evil.
So can I conclude from this that God's word to the people on whom evil is performed is ''Too bad for you, I could have stopped it, but what the hell, get over it. Right now, I really must respect the decision of the evil guy that is torturing you.''

I am sure someone could find a quote in the bible that says that when a man sees evil being done it is his Christian duty to try to stop it. Yet when God himself sees it he says ''Not my problem.''
Old 11-18-2007, 05:30 PM   #33
country flag G4.

G4. has a reputation beyond reputeG4. has a reputation beyond reputeG4. has a reputation beyond reputeG4. has a reputation beyond reputeG4. has a reputation beyond reputeG4. has a reputation beyond reputeG4. has a reputation beyond reputeG4. has a reputation beyond reputeG4. has a reputation beyond reputeG4. has a reputation beyond reputeG4. has a reputation beyond repute

Monotheist gods are jealous , violent, irritable, and hard to content
G4. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 06:07 PM   #34
country flag stebs

stebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond repute

I edge towards atheism.

There are some decent points bought up in this thread and of course the problem of evil is always the biggest criticism of a Christian God but then there is theodicy to respond to this.

I mean it is interesting how in this particular instance there are arguments being provided by BuddyHolly which are legit and then the comeback from VolandriFan is to tell him that he's going to hell. A holier than thou act is one thing which I hate and I don't care if you think you are Jesus Christ himself, show your fellow human's views some respect, after all, he is providing reasonable points. Telling him hell awaits just shows you are insecure with the points he is bringing up.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:22 PM   #35
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

That's the excuse of all religious people. Hell.
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 07:02 PM   #36
country flag Jelena

Jelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
So can I conclude from this that God's word to the people on whom evil is performed is ''Too bad for you, I could have stopped it, but what the hell, get over it. Right now, I really must respect the decision of the evil guy that is torturing you.''

I am sure someone could find a quote in the bible that says that when a man sees evil being done it is his Christian duty to try to stop it. Yet when God himself sees it he says ''Not my problem.''
It is interesting how you express what I thought for years. I've gone through a terrible experience before I converted to Christ and really had problems to accept, that even though I went through it, God was sad about it and, if the circumstances would have been only a little bit different, the outcome could have been completely different. Though God would have liked more that I wouldn't have to go through that experience, I know He can use this experience now for His glory. Be it, that some others can profit of how I overcame this trouble, be it that others hear that Jesus Christ really can change a life completely, I know He uses this stuff.

favourites in other sports: Bolo Zenden, Bobo Gille and Tiago Camilo

A link to positive and encouraging music: K-Love My blog in German
Mikey, you're missed
on a mission
Jelena is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 07:11 PM   #37
country flag G4.

G4. has a reputation beyond reputeG4. has a reputation beyond reputeG4. has a reputation beyond reputeG4. has a reputation beyond reputeG4. has a reputation beyond reputeG4. has a reputation beyond reputeG4. has a reputation beyond reputeG4. has a reputation beyond reputeG4. has a reputation beyond reputeG4. has a reputation beyond reputeG4. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennMirnyi View Post
That's the excuse of all religious people. Hell.
yes and it is sad how religion can anaesthesiate your mind , so that it becomes weak and flabby and you stop thinking by yourself , . It really is a powerful tool to control minds
Old 11-18-2007, 07:20 PM   #38
country flag vucina
Banned!

vucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond repute

I see that western nations are beyond cure.Maybe you will come to your senses when your lands start burning,and then start asking God for help.But it'll be too late.
vucina is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 09:26 PM   #39
country flag cmurray

cmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond repute

I believe in God, yes. And it was a something of a difficult process of examining each one of my beliefs and being willing to admit that perhaps I was incorrect in assuming automatically that there WAS a God. What it boils down to, of course, is the fact that I simply cannot accept that the complexity of the universe happened by accident. It is so statistically improbable that I am forced, out of sheer logic, to reject the idea that there is no creator.

So, if there IS a creator - who is it? The most compelling evidence to me is that every major world religion that worships a single Deity worships the God of Abraham. If god is just something "made up" why did this particular God gain "popularity" over, say, Baal or any of the other gods of early civilization?

The problem of evil is the oldest and most used argument against the existence of God - and it too is compelling, and something I examined closely before I made a decision about my beliefs. I'm not sure anyone has a complete answer for it, but nor do I find it a good enough reason to doubt the existence of God. Man is born with a free will, and as such most of the worst evils are simply a result of mankind making the decision to do evil things. What about natural disasters/plane crashes/car accidents and the like? I don't have a great answer for that, except that I've personally seen great good come out of great evil.

The crux of the matter is that the alternative is so horrid, that I cannot accept it. What I mean by that is that if there really is no God, if we really evolved by chance then there is no true evil. If survival of the fittest is true (and it must be for evolution to be true), then natural disasters and the like is simply a way to naturally control population and we should all be grateful. Same with disease.

I fully respect an individual's right to not believe in God (though it seems as though the atheists in this thread don't respect my beliefs, but that's a different argument for a different day). But I have to point out that it seems like many of the atheists I've met are only atheists as it suits their purposes. They don't follow the humanist philosophy all the through to the bitter end. You know who did? Hemmingway. He blew the back of his head off. No thanks - that just isn't for me. But this doesn't mean that I think people aren't "allowed" to have their own opinions. I most certainly do.
cmurray is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 09:48 PM   #40
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by vucina View Post
I see that western nations are beyond cure.Maybe you will come to your senses when your lands start burning,and then start asking God for help.But it'll be too late.
:retard:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurray View Post
I believe in God, yes. And it was a something of a difficult process of examining each one of my beliefs and being willing to admit that perhaps I was incorrect in assuming automatically that there WAS a God. What it boils down to, of course, is the fact that I simply cannot accept that the complexity of the universe happened by accident. It is so statistically improbable that I am forced, out of sheer logic, to reject the idea that there is no creator.

So, if there IS a creator - who is it? The most compelling evidence to me is that every major world religion that worships a single Deity worships the God of Abraham. If god is just something "made up" why did this particular God gain "popularity" over, say, Baal or any of the other gods of early civilization?

The problem of evil is the oldest and most used argument against the existence of God - and it too is compelling, and something I examined closely before I made a decision about my beliefs. I'm not sure anyone has a complete answer for it, but nor do I find it a good enough reason to doubt the existence of God. Man is born with a free will, and as such most of the worst evils are simply a result of mankind making the decision to do evil things. What about natural disasters/plane crashes/car accidents and the like? I don't have a great answer for that, except that I've personally seen great good come out of great evil.

The crux of the matter is that the alternative is so horrid, that I cannot accept it. What I mean by that is that if there really is no God, if we really evolved by chance then there is no true evil. If survival of the fittest is true (and it must be for evolution to be true), then natural disasters and the like is simply a way to naturally control population and we should all be grateful. Same with disease.

I fully respect an individual's right to not believe in God (though it seems as though the atheists in this thread don't respect my beliefs, but that's a different argument for a different day). But I have to point out that it seems like many of the atheists I've met are only atheists as it suits their purposes. They don't follow the humanist philosophy all the through to the bitter end. You know who did? Hemmingway. He blew the back of his head off. No thanks - that just isn't for me. But this doesn't mean that I think people aren't "allowed" to have their own opinions. I most certainly do.
So tell me, do you believe in evolution?
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 10:01 PM   #41
country flag cmurray

cmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennMirnyi View Post
:retard:

So tell me, do you believe in evolution?
On a limited scale, yes.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:03 PM   #42
country flag G4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurray View Post
If god is just something "made up" why did this particular God gain "popularity" over, say, Baal or any of the other gods of early civilization?
what about other cultures, like buddhism in which there is no God ? the argument of popularity is hilarious. It is popular because it spread though massacre war of conquest and forced conversion
Old 11-18-2007, 10:08 PM   #43
country flag VolandriFan

VolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
Oooohhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am on my knees in my hair shirt right now.

I recently had a discussion with a very good friend about Mother Teresa and her doubts about God. During our discussion she said to me ''Christians are just better human beings than non-believers like you''. When her husband gasped at what she had just said she tried to backtrack, but her true thoughts were out. That is one big difference between atheists and Christians. Atheists don't believe in God, but also don't believe it gives them any moral superiority.
I don't happen to think that christians are superior to non-christians. They've just found the truth, where as other religious groups haven't been as fortunate.

Fognini|Mathieu|Falla|Bolelli|Muller|Verdasco
Monaco|Garcia-Lopez|Dancevic|Granollers|Massu|Schwank
Wolmarans|Xristos|Ferrer|Monfils|Alcaide|Starace
VolandriFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 10:11 PM   #44
country flag VolandriFan

VolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stebs View Post
I edge towards atheism.

There are some decent points bought up in this thread and of course the problem of evil is always the biggest criticism of a Christian God but then there is theodicy to respond to this.

I mean it is interesting how in this particular instance there are arguments being provided by BuddyHolly which are legit and then the comeback from VolandriFan is to tell him that he's going to hell. A holier than thou act is one thing which I hate and I don't care if you think you are Jesus Christ himself, show your fellow human's views some respect, after all, he is providing reasonable points. Telling him hell awaits just shows you are insecure with the points he is bringing up.
I already apologised for this personally in a rep. It was a stupid thing to say, but in reality, that is the core of our beliefs. Those who don't believe will be going to hell.

Fognini|Mathieu|Falla|Bolelli|Muller|Verdasco
Monaco|Garcia-Lopez|Dancevic|Granollers|Massu|Schwank
Wolmarans|Xristos|Ferrer|Monfils|Alcaide|Starace
VolandriFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 10:13 PM   #45
country flag cmurray

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4. View Post
what about other cultures, like buddhism in which there is no God ? the argument of popularity is hilarious. It is popular because it spread though massacre war of conquest and forced conversion
That's silly and it proves that you are unfamiliar with ancient world history. MANY other cultures applied the same tactics. Ancient civilization was on the whole a blood-thirsty lot. War and conquest was the norm rather than the exception. So why didn't the gods of, say, Nebuchadnezzar last for 6000 years and counting? Its not proof, of course. I simply said that it is compelling that Christianity, Judaism and Islam all worship the same deity.

Incidentally, in your quest to prove me "wrong" (good luck), you've forgotten to actually read what I wrote. I very specifically stated that I was referring to religions that worship a god.