Do You Believe In A "God"? - Page 29 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Do You Believe In A "God"?

Yes, I'm a Theist (Believe in holy revelation via a "Holy Book") 57 19.52%
Yes, I'm a Deist (Believe in God based upon the existence of the Universe and evolved life) 40 13.70%
Perhaps, I'm Agnostic (As there is conflicting, or a lack of, evidence you just don't know) 73 25.00%
No, I'm an Atheist (science will eventually understand the origins of the Big Bang/Universe) 122 41.78%
Voters: 292. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-18-2009, 09:52 PM   #421
country flag habibko

habibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do You Believe In A "God"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydey View Post
It's not what I think it should be. It is the actual definition of atheism. Your links amount to little more than a bastardisation of the term.

It is faking belief. Let's say, for example, Pacal's Wager demanded that you believe in Santa. Could you force yourself to believe that Santa actually exists? Of course you couldn't. You can't just wake up one day and say, "I think I'll decide to believe in Santa today".

God is supposedly omniscient. Unless you truly believe he exists, he will know you are faking. Therefore, Pacal's Wager is nonsense.
I'm not here to argue for or against Pasca's Wager, my belief doesn't stem from his ground, so someone who supports his philosophy should answer you.
habibko is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2009, 09:53 PM   #422
country flag Clydey
Cutedey

Clydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Har-Tru View Post
You're right, and Pascal knew about it too, and actually most of his writings on his "wager" address this point. Is it possible to force oneself to belief? That's the first of many flaws of his theory, which I don't find that praiseworthy to begin with, since I believe any slightly intelligent adult could come to that conclusion pretty easily.
The reason I mention it is because it's the major flaw. His reasoning hangs on it. There are so many idiotic theories and statements that have inexplicably achieved longevity. Pacal's Wager is right up there with much of Freud's work.

Quote:
Of course they aren't, neither is Santa Claus-God. I'm sure you're sick and tired of listening to the "reasons" for God existence and I don't feel like going through them either, but I do think they are a lot, as in a lot stronger than the ones supporting Santa Claus's existence, just as is the case with aliens.
We'll have to agree to disagree, I guess. If not for the fact that I have a bunch of sociology shit to do for tomorrow, I'd sit here all night and discuss this.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:54 PM   #423
country flag Dini

Dini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond repute

I don't believe in God and religion hasn't done much good for the world in my opinion. Too many wars and conflicts over something that should be about the person and object/spirit of worship in private. Hate it when it's forced on a country - I believe religion should be about personal choice.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:54 PM   #424
country flag habibko

habibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond reputehabibko has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
This is wrong. Also, you are confusing religion and God again.
we were talking about Pascal's Wager, what else besides religion tells you that there is Heaven and Hell? the whole Wager is based on God's revelations of punishments according to religions and the fact that it's better to believe to avoid punishment, God and religion can't be separated here.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:55 PM   #425
country flag Clydey
Cutedey

Clydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
How do you know? Both are beliefs, you can't prove any of them.
It comes down to probabilities. Neither can be proven as yet, but one is much more likely than the other.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:55 PM   #426
country flag habibko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infini. View Post
I don't believe in God and religion hasn't done much good for the world in my opinion. Too many wars and conflicts over something that should be about the person and object/spirit of worship.
religion isn't the reason people fight wars, people are the reason, if they didn't fight for God, they will fight for their homeland, ideology, race, tribe, king etc, war is a human nature.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:01 PM   #427
country flag Dini

Dini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond repute

Religion is the root of many conflicts though. India, Ireland, Palestine... I can go on.

It's also down to people's interpretation of religion, but like I said it should be a private thing between you and "God"; forcing someone to wear hijab for example while they're not convinced is a lie and not a true reflection of their own personal beliefs. Fakery in other words.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:01 PM   #428
country flag Clydey
Cutedey

Quote:
Originally Posted by habibko View Post
religion isn't the reason people fight wars, people are the reason, if they didn't fight for God, they will fight for their homeland, ideology, race, tribe, king etc, war is a human nature.
Religion is a means of justifying just about any action. For example, the 9/11 hijackers weren't bad people. They sincerely believed they were doing God's work. They were of the belief that they were doing good.

You can say that they misinterpreted the Qur'an, but it was their inspiration. Without the Qur'an, 9/11 doesn't happen. Similarly, you cannot deny the level of depravity in the Old Testament.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:02 PM   #429
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The reason I mention it is because it's the major flaw. His reasoning hangs on it. There are so many idiotic theories and statements that have inexplicably achieved longevity. Pacal's Wager is right up there with much of Freud's work.

We'll have to agree to disagree, I guess. If not for the fact that I have a bunch of sociology shit to do for tomorrow, I'd sit here all night and discuss this.
We can continue this another time, but I can't promise I'll be in the mood for this deep stuff...

Quote:
I believe religion should be about personal choice.

Quote:
we were talking about Pascal's Wager, what else besides religion tells you that there is Heaven and Hell? the whole Wager is based on God's revelations of punishments according to religions and the fact that it's better to believe to avoid punishment, God and religion can't be separated here.
Fair enough... but I don't know about Islam, but Catholicism doesn't take faith as the only requirement for salvation: good deeds are needed too. If you believe all your life in God, then kill a man and then die, you go to hell. Simple as that.

Quote:
It comes down to probabilities. Neither can be proven as yet, but one is much more likely than the other.
But that's your belief, which you can't prove. I could perfectly say the contrary.

Tennis has no blood passport system, and does basically no out of competition testing.

The methods and drugs used by Armstrong in 1999 would work in tennis right now, with zero chance of being caught (not slightly surprising to anyone familiar with the topic, btw).
Har-Tru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:05 PM   #430
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Uhm? So many wars have and are being fought due to religion. Most of them against the precepts of that same religion, but that's another story.

Tennis has no blood passport system, and does basically no out of competition testing.

The methods and drugs used by Armstrong in 1999 would work in tennis right now, with zero chance of being caught (not slightly surprising to anyone familiar with the topic, btw).
Old 10-18-2009, 10:07 PM   #431
country flag Clydey
Cutedey

Quote:

But that's your belief, which you can't prove. I could perfectly say the contrary.
It's also my belief that Federer is more likely to beat Bogdanovic, as opposed to the reverse. You can call it a belief and imply that it's a matter of faith. The fact is that one is more likely to happen than the other.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:07 PM   #432
country flag Getta

Getta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
war is not part of human nature, it has simply become a nasty habit.

Quote:
Fair enough... but I don't know about Islam, but Catholicism doesn't take faith as the only requirement for salvation: good deeds are needed too. If you believe all your life in God, then kill a man and then die, you go to hell. Simple as that.
the same goes, naturally enough, for the Eastern Orthodox Christianity.
Getta is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:11 PM   #433
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
It's also my belief that Federer is more likely to beat Bogdanovic, as opposed to the reverse. You can call it a belief and imply that it's a matter of faith. The fact is that one is more likely to happen than the other.
Oh come on. You have evidential facts to support the Federer-Boggo claim, none in the other case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getta View Post
war is not part of human nature, it has simply become a nasty habit.

the same goes, naturally enough, for the Eastern Orthodox Christianity.
Well I thought so, but wasn't sure.

First statement is very optimistic...

Old 10-18-2009, 10:13 PM   #434
country flag habibko

Quote:
Religion is the root of many conflicts though. India, Ireland, Palestine... I can go on.

It's also down to people's interpretation of religion, but like I said it should be a private thing between you and "God"; forcing someone to wear hijab for example while they're not convinced is a lie and not a true reflection of their own personal beliefs. Fakery in other words.
yes religion and God drove to many wars and conflicts because of it's massive power and influence on people especially where ignorance is present, but that doesn't mean religion is evil as it is, it means people can use it in an evil way, it's the same with a knife for example, it can be used to kill someone as well as prepare your dinner, does that make a knife evil?

there is no religion that gives you the right to spill an innocent blood, but people will twist everything they have including religion to justify their actions, it has happened throughout history.

Quote:
Religion is a means of justifying just about any action. For example, the 9/11 hijackers weren't bad people. They sincerely believed they were doing God's work. They were of the belief that they were doing good.

You can say that they misinterpreted the Qur'an, but it was their inspiration. Without the Qur'an, 9/11 doesn't happen. Similarly, you cannot deny the level of depravity in the Old Testament.
well the same can be said about any insane person, he doesn't believe he is doing something wrong, he is not a bad person, but his actions can still be wrong and harmful.

without daggers, spears and swords in the past, people wouldn't have killed each other, same with missiles and guns these days, it doesn't make them evil in essence, it means they can be used in an evil way.

Quote:
in Islam belief in one true God is enough for ultimate salvation, but there are degrees to salvation and also you could spend years in hell for certain sins you committed before finally making it to Heaven.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:16 PM   #435
country flag Clydey
Cutedey

Quote:
Oh come on. You have evidential facts to support the Federer-Boggo claim, none in the other case.
I told you, it's a matter of probabilities. Think of the size of the universe. The chances are that life has evolved somewhere else. Of course that's likely. It is infinitely more likely than the chance existence of a fat bloke in a red suit, who rides a sleigh and delivers gifts to everyone in the world on the evening of 24th December.

One is much more likely than the other. I'm at pains to think of how you could possibly deny that.