Do You Believe In A "God"? - Page 24 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Do You Believe In A "God"?

Yes, I'm a Theist (Believe in holy revelation via a "Holy Book") 57 19.52%
Yes, I'm a Deist (Believe in God based upon the existence of the Universe and evolved life) 40 13.70%
Perhaps, I'm Agnostic (As there is conflicting, or a lack of, evidence you just don't know) 73 25.00%
No, I'm an Atheist (science will eventually understand the origins of the Big Bang/Universe) 122 41.78%
Voters: 292. You may not vote on this poll

Reply

Old 10-17-2009, 12:08 PM   #346
country flag Clydey
Cutedey
 
Clydey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Age: 32
Posts: 13,287
Clydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do You Believe In A "God"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena View Post
Let me break up some of your questions/arguments and give you some Biblical answers.

The God of the Bible claims He was there before everything. In fact already in the second verse of the Bible it is stated He was there: "Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters." (Gen 1:2) Together with John 4:24 "God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in spirit and in truth." it shows that God was already there.

Lack of evidence? Have you ever had a look out of your window and seen how many different kind of green colours are currently on the trees? Even the Bible says that for the people who never heard of the Good News by a person who told them the Gospel could recognise that there is a God only by observing the nature. Romans 1:20: "For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse."

The Bible takes the people to a decision, that's true. Jesus says in John 14:6: "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." Yeah, He claims to have the absolute truth and the be only way into Paradise.

The first question I already answered above. And yes, it is a human reaction to question things, but the Bible tells humans to "trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding." (Proverbs 3:5)

If that, what is told me doesn't correspond with the Bible, nothing.

Don't you think there is reasoning in the nature? If you don't then I can only tell you: "Poor you!"

And after the xxx big bangs the big bangs just stopped when the earth was EXACTLY in the correct distance to the sun that mankind can live on the planet? Sorry, but this is ridiculous. If the earth was only minimal nearer to the sun mankind would burn and it would be impossible to live here, just as if the earth was only minimal farther away. Then it would be too cold.

I also don't understand everything God/Jesus does, but I have experienced Him as a living God, who is absolutely interested in my life. And even if I don't understand everything that happens in my personal life I still know that something good will come out even of the biggest crap.

The God of the Bible clearly shows anger about the people (Ex 32:9-10) "I have seen these people," the LORD said to Moses, "and they are a stiff-necked people. 10 Now leave me alone so that my anger may burn against them and that I may destroy them. Then I will make you into a great nation.", but He also shows joy about people: "The LORD your God is with you, He is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, He will quiet you with his love, He will rejoice over you with singing." (Zephaniah 3:17), He shows mother feelings towards His people: "Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne? Though she may forget, I will not forget you!" (Isaiah 45:15) He heals people physically and forgives sins: (Mark 2:1-12) "A few days later, when Jesus again entered Capernaum, the people heard that he had come home. 2So many gathered that there was no room left, not even outside the door, and he preached the word to them. 3Some men came, bringing to him a paralytic, carried by four of them. 4Since they could not get him to Jesus because of the crowd, they made an opening in the roof above Jesus and, after digging through it, lowered the mat the paralyzed man was lying on. 5When Jesus saw their faith, he said to the paralytic, "Son, your sins are forgiven." 6Now some teachers of the law were sitting there, thinking to themselves, 7"Why does this fellow talk like that? He's blaspheming! Who can forgive sins but God alone?" 8Immediately Jesus knew in his spirit that this was what they were thinking in their hearts, and he said to them, "Why are you thinking these things? 9Which is easier: to say to the paralytic, 'Your sins are forgiven,' or to say, 'Get up, take your mat and walk'? 10But that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins . . . ." He said to the paralytic, 11"I tell you, get up, take your mat and go home." 12He got up, took his mat and walked out in full view of them all. This amazed everyone and they praised God, saying, "We have never seen anything like this!"" These are only a few examples for the feelings the Biblical God can have.

The Bible claims clearly that there is not one good person on the earth: (Romans 3:10-12) "As it is written: "There is no one righteous, not even one; 11there is no one who understands, no one who seeks God. 12All have turned away, they have together become worthless; there is no one who does good, not even one."

HE is. But people often forget that sitting in their circumstances, which aren't always heavenly. Worship can help people to refocus on the perfect God, Who sees the circumstances, who sees the questions I have, who knows a way out of the circumstances. So worship isn't primarly FOR GOD, although He likes to listen to our worship, but more FOR US to get the focus and see again the relations... The Almighty God and my problems.

Because God doesn't want robots, but living persons to do His will volunteerly.

Every person still can decide to do NOT the will of God, which automatically ends in evil. And because even Christians, who have a relationship to Jesus, can act in the wrong way, there is so much evil in the world.

The Bible claims that man is created in three parts. There is the body, the soul and the spirit. The body will degenerate once there is no heartbeat anymore going through it. The soul is said to be the part of man that takes decisions, and the spirit is the part that is able to get the connection to God's Holy Spirit. That's the short version of it, to make it longer would extend the post even far more....

The Earth will end, but not only in million of years, but when Jesus returns to reign forever. Revelation 20:11 says: Then I saw a great white throne and him who was seated on it. Earth and sky fled from his presence, and there was no place for them." Only one chapter later it says (Rev 21:1): Then I [John] saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea."

To believe there is a better world does not take value away from this life, but gives me hope that one day I won't have pain in my knee anymore, that I won't suffer of the follow-ups of the **** I've gone through, that I will see again many dead people I enjoyed being with here on earth etc...
Quoting a book of fairytales does not constitute evidence.
__________________
'Nous nous tournons vers l’Écosse pour trouver toutes nos idées sur la civilisation' - Voltaire
Clydey is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 10-17-2009, 12:10 PM   #347
country flag VolandriFan
Registered User
 
VolandriFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Where the heart is
Posts: 7,743
VolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do You Believe In A "God"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydey View Post
Quoting a book of fairytales does not constitute evidence.
Fair enough, you have an opinion, but can you at least try to be respectful of others?
__________________
Filippo VOLANDRI, Pablo ANDUJAR, Fernando GONZALEZ, Juan Carlos FERRERO, Thomaz BELLUCCI,
Santiago GIRALDO, Tommy ROBREDO, Gilles SIMON, Juan Martin DEL POTRO, Alexandr DOLGOPOLOV


Fognini|Mathieu|Falla|Bolelli|Muller|Verdasco
Monaco|Garcia-Lopez|Dancevic|Granollers|Massu|Schwank
Wolmarans|Xristos|Ferrer|Monfils|Alcaide|Starace
VolandriFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 12:11 PM   #348
country flag Clydey
Cutedey
 
Clydey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Age: 32
Posts: 13,287
Clydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do You Believe In A "God"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiChica View Post
Well, I used to be quite your hardcore atheist when I was younger. Several things happened along the way, and I simply decided that I did not want to join any Christian groups whatsoever. At one point, I started to question several things and turned into an agnostic. I don't know if there's a God or not. There must be a Higher Power (which I believe in) which created nature and us humans, but I don't know who or what this Higher Power is. However, during my teenage years - till now - I discovered Buddhism, and IF I had to choose one religion to follow, it would be Buddhism. From what I have read back then, it seems the only religion I can relate to in some points. I am no Buddhist, but it seems to be the most appealing to me. Besides, I don't know any other person who radiates so much warmth, reverence, kindness and friendliness as the current Dalai Lama does.

I do not mind if someone believes in God and Jesus, but I seriously can't stand it if they try to impose their faith upon me and want to proseletyze me. It is actually one of my biggest pet peeves. To each their own, and I do not want that.

Finally, I love this quote by Rafael Nadal which I found in a friend's LiveJournal:

"I would like to believe there is a God, but I think it is better to say I'm not sure there is a God and live your life with kindness and respect for people than to say I know there is a God and then do bad things"
-- Rafa Nadal
Sounds like Rafa subscribes to Pascal's Wager.

That's nice, even if it is logically flawed.
__________________
'Nous nous tournons vers l’Écosse pour trouver toutes nos idées sur la civilisation' - Voltaire
Clydey is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 12:20 PM   #349
country flag Clydey
Cutedey
 
Clydey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Age: 32
Posts: 13,287
Clydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do You Believe In A "God"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolandriFan View Post
Fair enough, you have an opinion, but can you at least try to be respectful of others?
Who did I disrespect? It is a book of fairytales. If someone quotes a passage from Little Red Riding Hood in order to make a point, I'm going to call them on it. I'm not going to sit here and sugarcoat what I say just because questioning religion is taboo. I respect logic and reason. I do not respect the belief that there is an all-powerful sugardaddy in the sky.

And do you really want to talk about disrespect? What you said about science is perhaps the most offensive, vacuous statement in the entire thread.
__________________
'Nous nous tournons vers l’Écosse pour trouver toutes nos idées sur la civilisation' - Voltaire
Clydey is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 12:23 PM   #350
country flag Clydey
Cutedey
 
Clydey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Age: 32
Posts: 13,287
Clydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do You Believe In A "God"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfloyd View Post
Jelena, an interesting response.

However, the claims you make are only self-supported by The Bible and turn tautological really quickly.

Why is it true? Because it is stated in the Bible? How do you know the Bible is true? Because it is the word of God.

If you look at historical evidence, the best estimates we have of how the Bible was written results in a variety of different authors who wrote individual accounts of events that happened and were shared by spoken words 60-70 years after they actually happen.

Now, many things in the Bible boil down to faith, of course. But believing in a Virgin birth or believing a man can walk on water is not a matter of faith really (though you could make the argument), it is simply not possible. We are not talking about the much acclaimed "miracles" but simply stating that something cannot happen.

A person can jump from a building without an added device and he will fall. A person runs a car at 90 MPH into a wall and the car will suffer some damage.

The same goes: a virgin cannot have a birth and a man, without added device cannot walk on water.

Sure, you say that's what faith is made up of, belief. But how many people today claim they can do miracles, but are in fact a hoax?

The Bible claims that one should suspend critical though and accept things without question, but if Jesus were to come back,would really believe him unless he actually performed a "miracle".

In so far as your "humans doing evil" argument, there still remains a problem. God is all powerful, all good and all knowing.

He either, by giving people "free will" knowingly allows evil to happen. Which does not make him all good.

He either created free will but cannot stop evil from happening. This means he is not all-powerful.

Or, he created humans and gave them free will but did not know that evil could come out of it. Then he is not all knowing.

Besides the real-evidence of the Sun becoming a Red Giant and destroying all life, we can make some educated guesses and conclude that we will not be here in a million years.

Starvation, diseases, nuclear war, global warming are just but a handful of examples of real world problems that threaten our very existence.

And you still have one other conflict, Mohamed, the prophet historically came after Jesus and claims to be the final world of God. If billions of people believe it to be true, what makes you dismiss it?
The virgin birth is actually a mistranslation. I find that quite embarrassing. One of the cornerstones of Catholicism was born out of a mistranslation.
__________________
'Nous nous tournons vers l’Écosse pour trouver toutes nos idées sur la civilisation' - Voltaire
Clydey is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 12:29 PM   #351
country flag Clydey
Cutedey
 
Clydey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Age: 32
Posts: 13,287
Clydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do You Believe In A "God"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena View Post
There will be a day when you will remember the discussion we had today. I know that all the verses I quoted today will have their impact one day, as the Bible also says: As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater,
11 so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it." (Isaiah 55:10-11)
Good to know that you have so much faith in a book that advocates murder, slavery, ****, etc.

I'm sure you also think that homosexuality is an abomination.
__________________
'Nous nous tournons vers l’Écosse pour trouver toutes nos idées sur la civilisation' - Voltaire
Clydey is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 12:34 PM   #352
country flag Doomach777
Registered User
 
Doomach777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,544
Doomach777 has a reputation beyond reputeDoomach777 has a reputation beyond reputeDoomach777 has a reputation beyond reputeDoomach777 has a reputation beyond reputeDoomach777 has a reputation beyond reputeDoomach777 has a reputation beyond reputeDoomach777 has a reputation beyond reputeDoomach777 has a reputation beyond reputeDoomach777 has a reputation beyond reputeDoomach777 has a reputation beyond reputeDoomach777 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do You Believe In A "God"?

Of course I do!
__________________
LJUBO LEGENDO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

https://twitter.com/#!/IvanLjubicic1
Doomach777 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 12:35 PM   #353
country flag Jōris
Registered User
 
Jōris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Age: 26
Posts: 2,619
Jōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do You Believe In A "God"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydey View Post
Delighted with the poll results. Reason prevails.
Then you believe that human rationality is the only means to understand? Reason gives us the ability to understand, but it also forms the boundaries of human thought.
__________________
Thank you for not reporting my post.
Jōris is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 12:38 PM   #354
country flag VolandriFan
Registered User
 
VolandriFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Where the heart is
Posts: 7,743
VolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do You Believe In A "God"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydey View Post
Who did I disrespect? It is a book of fairytales. If someone quotes a passage from Little Red Riding Hood in order to make a point, I'm going to call them on it. I'm not going to sit here and sugarcoat what I say just because questioning religion is taboo. I respect logic and reason. I do not respect the belief that there is an all-powerful sugardaddy in the sky.

And do you really want to talk about disrespect? What you said about science is perhaps the most offensive, vacuous statement in the entire thread.
A year or two ago, I also said that homosexuality was a "curse". I've done a lot of maturing between then and now and maybe you should try doing some too. It's quite possible that I would be offended by my own 'vacuous' statement from 2007. However, if you'd care to quote me on it, I'd be interested in reading what I actually did say.

I'm not suggesting you sugarcoat things, but I think it would be wise to show some tact when dealing with what is the focal point of many people's lives. Comparing an ancient scripture by which we universally base our calendar year and also by which billions corroborate their existence, to a ~300 year old, children's story book with a happy ending, is disrespectful.
__________________
Filippo VOLANDRI, Pablo ANDUJAR, Fernando GONZALEZ, Juan Carlos FERRERO, Thomaz BELLUCCI,
Santiago GIRALDO, Tommy ROBREDO, Gilles SIMON, Juan Martin DEL POTRO, Alexandr DOLGOPOLOV


Fognini|Mathieu|Falla|Bolelli|Muller|Verdasco
Monaco|Garcia-Lopez|Dancevic|Granollers|Massu|Schwank
Wolmarans|Xristos|Ferrer|Monfils|Alcaide|Starace
VolandriFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 12:41 PM   #355
country flag Clydey
Cutedey
 
Clydey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Age: 32
Posts: 13,287
Clydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do You Believe In A "God"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arend View Post
Then you believe that human rationality is the only means to understand? Reason gives us the ability to understand, but it also forms the boundaries of human thought.
What other means is there?
__________________
'Nous nous tournons vers l’Écosse pour trouver toutes nos idées sur la civilisation' - Voltaire
Clydey is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 12:49 PM   #356
country flag Clydey
Cutedey
 
Clydey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Age: 32
Posts: 13,287
Clydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do You Believe In A "God"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolandriFan View Post
A year or two ago, I also said that homosexuality was a "curse". I've done a lot of maturing between then and now and maybe you should try doing some too. It's quite possible that I would be offended by my own 'vacuous' statement from 2007. However, if you'd care to quote me on it, I'd be interested in reading what I actually did say.

I'm not suggesting you sugarcoat things, but I think it would be wise to show some tact when dealing with what is the focal point of many people's lives. Comparing an ancient scripture by which we universally base our calendar year and also by which billions corroborate their existence, to a ~300 year old, children's story book with a happy ending, is disrespectful.
Do you proceed with caution when you challenge someone's political views? Religion is no different. The notion that one should respect religious belief is pure hypocrisy.

It is a book of fairytales. If someone was to live their life according to Little Red Riding Hood, it would not change the fact that it is a fairytale. I'm not going to pretend that I respect the belief that Noah built an ark. I'm actually showing them more respect by not humouring them. For me to sit here and act like it's a respectable view would be disingenuous and condescending.
__________________
'Nous nous tournons vers l’Écosse pour trouver toutes nos idées sur la civilisation' - Voltaire
Clydey is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 12:57 PM   #357
country flag Jōris
Registered User
 
Jōris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Age: 26
Posts: 2,619
Jōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do You Believe In A "God"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydey View Post
What other means is there?
We only evolved with the purpose of keeping our kind going. It's rather medieval of you, almost Biblical, to make humans the reference point to understand the universe.
__________________
Thank you for not reporting my post.
Jōris is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 01:02 PM   #358
country flag Clydey
Cutedey
 
Clydey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Age: 32
Posts: 13,287
Clydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do You Believe In A "God"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arend View Post
We only evolved to keep our kind going. It's rather medieval, almost Biblical, to make humans the sole reference point to understand the universe.
I'm not really sure what you mean. I'm not closed to the idea of there being another way. It simply hasn't been discovered yet, unless you think that blindly subscribing to supernatural claims constitutes having an open mind.

As things stand, what other means do we have of understanding the the Universe? And I mean truly understand. I don't mean guessing or making statements that cannot be falsified.

Also, humans are different in that we are conscious of our existence. We are beyond merely seeking to reproduce. We don't live on a planet filled with social darwinists.
__________________
'Nous nous tournons vers l’Écosse pour trouver toutes nos idées sur la civilisation' - Voltaire

Last edited by Clydey : 10-17-2009 at 01:14 PM.
Clydey is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 01:18 PM   #359
country flag Jōris
Registered User
 
Jōris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Age: 26
Posts: 2,619
Jōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do You Believe In A "God"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydey View Post
I'm not really sure what you mean. I'm not closed to the idea of there being another way. It simply hasn't been discovered yet, unless you think that blindly subscribing to supernatural claims constitutes having an open mind.

As things stand, what other means do we have of understanding the the Universe? And I mean truly understand. I don't mean guessing or making statements that cannot be falsified.

Also, humans are different in that we are conscious of out existence. We are beyond merely seeking to reproduce. We don't live on a planet filled with social darwinists.
It's annoying to discuss in this language for me.

If reason are the boundaries of human cognition, then I think there has to be "knowledge" outside our reason too, but were not evolved to grasp outside our senses.
__________________
Thank you for not reporting my post.
Jōris is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 01:26 PM   #360
country flag Clydey
Cutedey
 
Clydey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Age: 32
Posts: 13,287
Clydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do You Believe In A "God"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arend View Post
It's annoying to discuss in this language for me.

If reason are the boundaries of human cognition, then I think there has to be "knowledge" outside our reason too, but were not evolved to grasp outside our senses.
I see what you're getting at. I agree with you to an extent. We do have certain limitations. For example, we are pattern seekers. That is why the concept of infinity is so troubling for us. However, that doesn't mean that there is a viable alternative, nor does it mean that we won't break through those boundaries at some point. And if there is an alternative, it sure as hell isn't religion.
__________________
'Nous nous tournons vers l’Écosse pour trouver toutes nos idées sur la civilisation' - Voltaire
Clydey is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios