"A Day in the Life of Oscar the Cat" - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-17-2007, 02:33 PM   #1
country flag Neely
-

Neely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond repute
Default "A Day in the Life of Oscar the Cat"

I don't know if this was in the news a few months ago or not, but I just came accross this and currently don't know what I should think about it... Normally I wouldn't expect jokes in a medical journal

In short: The cat Oscar was raised in a nursing home and can "predict" deaths of the residents there by curling up next to people who only have a few hours to live. He was right in 25 cases so far showing this behaviour. But they did not say in how many cases he was wrong though. But it's a good story in any way. Full text below.

Taken from The New England Journal of Medicine, Volume 357(#4), pages 328-329.
http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/357/4/328

Quote:
A Day in the Life of Oscar the Cat
David M. Dosa, M.D., M.P.H.

Oscar the Cat awakens from his nap, opening a single eye to survey his kingdom. From atop the desk in the doctor's charting area, the cat peers down the two wings of the nursing home's advanced dementia unit. All quiet on the western and eastern fronts. Slowly, he rises and extravagantly stretches his 2-year-old frame, first backward and then forward. He sits up and considers his next move.

In the distance, a resident approaches. It is Mrs. P., who has been living on the dementia unit's third floor for 3 years now. She has long forgotten her family, even though they visit her almost daily. Moderately disheveled after eating her lunch, half of which she now wears on her shirt, Mrs. P. is taking one of her many aimless strolls to nowhere. She glides toward Oscar, pushing her walker and muttering to herself with complete disregard for her surroundings. Perturbed, Oscar watches her carefully and, as she walks by, lets out a gentle hiss, a rattlesnake-like warning that says "leave me alone." She passes him without a glance and continues down the hallway. Oscar is relieved. It is not yet Mrs. P.'s time, and he wants nothing to do with her.

Oscar jumps down off the desk, relieved to be once more alone and in control of his domain. He takes a few moments to drink from his water bowl and grab a quick bite. Satisfied, he enjoys another stretch and sets out on his rounds. Oscar decides to head down the west wing first, along the way sidestepping Mr. S., who is slumped over on a couch in the hallway. With lips slightly pursed, he snores peacefully — perhaps blissfully unaware of where he is now living. Oscar continues down the hallway until he reaches its end and Room 310. The door is closed, so Oscar sits and waits. He has important business here.

Twenty-five minutes later, the door finally opens, and out walks a nurse's aide carrying dirty linens. "Hello, Oscar," she says. "Are you going inside?" Oscar lets her pass, then makes his way into the room, where there are two people. Lying in a corner bed and facing the wall, Mrs. T. is asleep in a fetal position. Her body is thin and wasted from the breast cancer that has been eating away at her organs. She is mildly jaundiced and has not spoken in several days. Sitting next to her is her daughter, who glances up from her novel to warmly greet the visitor. "Hello, Oscar. How are you today?"

Oscar takes no notice of the woman and leaps up onto the bed. He surveys Mrs. T. She is clearly in the terminal phase of illness, and her breathing is labored. Oscar's examination is interrupted by a nurse, who walks in to ask the daughter whether Mrs. T. is uncomfortable and needs more morphine. The daughter shakes her head, and the nurse retreats. Oscar returns to his work. He sniffs the air, gives Mrs. T. one final look, then jumps off the bed and quickly leaves the room. Not today.

Making his way back up the hallway, Oscar arrives at Room 313. The door is open, and he proceeds inside. Mrs. K. is resting peacefully in her bed, her breathing steady but shallow. She is surrounded by photographs of her grandchildren and one from her wedding day. Despite these keepsakes, she is alone. Oscar jumps onto her bed and again sniffs the air. He pauses to consider the situation, and then turns around twice before curling up beside Mrs. K.

One hour passes. Oscar waits. A nurse walks into the room to check on her patient. She pauses to note Oscar's presence. Concerned, she hurriedly leaves the room and returns to her desk. She grabs Mrs. K.'s chart off the medical-records rack and begins to make phone calls.

Within a half hour the family starts to arrive. Chairs are brought into the room, where the relatives begin their vigil. The priest is called to deliver last rites. And still, Oscar has not budged, instead purring and gently nuzzling Mrs. K. A young grandson asks his mother, "What is the cat doing here?" The mother, fighting back tears, tells him, "He is here to help Grandma get to heaven." Thirty minutes later, Mrs. K. takes her last earthly breath. With this, Oscar sits up, looks around, then departs the room so quietly that the grieving family barely notices.

On his way back to the charting area, Oscar passes a plaque mounted on the wall. On it is engraved a commendation from a local hospice agency: "For his compassionate hospice care, this plaque is awarded to Oscar the Cat." Oscar takes a quick drink of water and returns to his desk to curl up for a long rest. His day's work is done. There will be no more deaths today, not in Room 310 or in any other room for that matter. After all, no one dies on the third floor unless Oscar pays a visit and stays awhile.

Note: Since he was adopted by staff members as a kitten, Oscar the Cat has had an uncanny ability to predict when residents are about to die. Thus far, he has presided over the deaths of more than 25 residents on the third floor of Steere House Nursing and Rehabilitation Center in Providence, Rhode Island. His mere presence at the bedside is viewed by physicians and nursing home staff as an almost absolute indicator of impending death, allowing staff members to adequately notify families. Oscar has also provided companionship to those who would otherwise have died alone. For his work, he is highly regarded by the physicians and staff at Steere House and by the families of the residents whom he serves.

Dr. Dosa is a geriatrician at Rhode Island Hospital and an assistant professor of medicine at the Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University — both in Providence.

Best of luck to all Germans : Nicolas Kiefer | Rainer Schüttler | Lars | Florian | Tommy

Last edited by Neely : 11-17-2007 at 02:40 PM.
Neely is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2007, 03:18 PM   #2
country flag *Ljubica*
Occasional Visitor

*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "A Day in the Life of Oscar the Cat"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely View Post
I don't know if this was in the news a few months ago or not, but I just came accross this and currently don't know what I should think about it... Normally I wouldn't expect jokes in a medical journal

In short: The cat Oscar was raised in a nursing home and can "predict" deaths of the residents there by curling up next to people who only have a few hours to live. He was right in 25 cases so far showing this behaviour. But they did not say in how many cases he was wrong though. But it's a good story in any way. Full text below.

Taken from The New England Journal of Medicine, Volume 357(#4), pages 328-329.
http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/357/4/328

It's certainly not a joke Neely, as I read the story in the UK press a couple of months ago. Cats have very strange powers of extra-sensory perception, and seems this chap has a very scary talent

Supporting Djoković, Tipsarević, Soderling, Tursunov, Youzhny, Cilić and quite a few more
*Ljubica* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 03:32 PM   #3
country flag Metis

Metis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I saw that on CNN some time ago. I adore cats but I wouldn't want to see Oscar coming in my room if I was in the hospital .

BTW the New England Journal of Medicine is probably the most famous medical journal in the world. I think it has the highest impact factor.

And Oscar has already become a Lolcat

Metis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 05:37 PM   #4
country flag Richard_from_Cal

Richard_from_Cal has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_from_Cal has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_from_Cal has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_from_Cal has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_from_Cal has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_from_Cal has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_from_Cal has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_from_Cal has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_from_Cal has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_from_Cal has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_from_Cal has a reputation beyond repute

@ Metis. Great find.

…”A HOBO Travels to work,
A tramp travels and won't work
A bum neither travels or works”
-=-=-=-=-=-
…hobotraveler (link <--it's a site by hobos, for hobos...it's very slow)…

Nomad Backpackers <--link
Richard_from_Cal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 06:13 PM   #5
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Why didn't that second foto say ''purr-dictin ur defs''?
Old 11-17-2007, 06:16 PM   #6
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cat Lady View Post
Cats have very strange powers of extra-sensory perception, and seems this chap has a very scary talent
In cat terms there is undoubtedly nothing extra-sensory about it.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:16 PM   #7
country flag cobalt60
Pacific Northwest Home

cobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it made lots of news here in the States as well. And not to take anything away from Oscar but this phenomenon has been seen in dogs as well. I won't go into any details but it has to do with more than an "uncanny perception" or sixth sense.
cobalt60 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 07:07 PM   #8
country flag Metis

Metis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
Why didn't that second foto say ''purr-dictin ur defs''?
You're right, that would have been more appropriate .

It would also be more appropriate if 'Oscar the messenger of death' was an all black cat .

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt60 View Post
Yes it made lots of news here in the States as well. And not to take anything away from Oscar but this phenomenon has been seen in dogs as well. I won't go into any details but it has to do with more than an "uncanny perception" or sixth sense.
Interesting. I've heard that there is research going on to investigate the ability of dogs to detect cancer in patients (through their accute sense of smell if I'm not mistaken) but I didn't know they were death predictors too...
Metis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 07:09 PM   #9
country flag Naide

Naide has a reputation beyond reputeNaide has a reputation beyond reputeNaide has a reputation beyond reputeNaide has a reputation beyond reputeNaide has a reputation beyond reputeNaide has a reputation beyond reputeNaide has a reputation beyond reputeNaide has a reputation beyond reputeNaide has a reputation beyond reputeNaide has a reputation beyond reputeNaide has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah i've heard of this cat
Metis great pics i love cats

it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our over 200 forums. A few popular destinations include our General Message/A> forums, our Off-Topic and our Player Forums where like-minded fans get together!
Naide is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 09:12 PM   #10
country flag cobalt60
Pacific Northwest Home

cobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metis View Post
You're right, that would have been more appropriate .

It would also be more appropriate if 'Oscar the messenger of death' was an all black cat .

Interesting. I've heard that there is research going on to investigate the ability of dogs to detect cancer in patients (through their accute sense of smell if I'm not mistaken) but I didn't know they were death predictors too...
After Oscar the cat, a maine nursing home published a local news piece about the dog that lives at the home and his ability. Definitely the sense of smell but I wonder if there are other variables.
cobalt60 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 10:09 PM   #11
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metis View Post
I think there is already a case of a dog detecting a cancerous mole and molesting its owner by sticking its nose on it until she had the mole checked out.
Something else I saw on TV is a dog that lives with a severe diabetic and licks his nose every couple of hours. If the man's sugar is dangerously low the dog can not only detect it, but it can actually hit a button on his cell phone that sends a message to the hospital in the event that the man suddenly passes out.
Old 11-18-2007, 03:38 AM   #12
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely View Post
Oscar was a big story here a few months ago and no, he's no joke.The New England Journal of Medicine is one of the most respected journals in the country.

Quote:
In short: The cat Oscar was raised in a nursing home and can "predict" deaths of the residents there by curling up next to people who only have a few hours to live. He was right in 25 cases so far showing this behaviour. But they did not say in how many cases he was wrong though.
He hasn't guessed wrong yet. The cat has been with the hospice for two years now.

I've been around farms and animals my whole life so I fully believe in the sixth sense that some animals (and people) have.

One of my friends works at an animal hospital and they have their own version of "Oscar", a black and white cat who had been abandoned at the hospital but now roams around the halls and spends time with other cats and dogs that he thinks are close to dying. Personally, I don't find this behavior eerie at all.

Here are some good videos about Oscar:

CBS News: Oscar the Grim Reaper Cat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PxI3efVVeI

Cat is Harbinger of Death
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cqiylGLAvg
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums

Last edited by tangerine_dream : 11-18-2007 at 04:04 AM.
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote