Brian Baker - Page 7 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-17-2012, 11:12 PM   #91
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

SapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brian Baker

Wimbledon Q:

Brian Baker USA [11] vs. Radu Albot MDA
Denis Gremelmayr GER vs. Vincent Millot FRA
Maxime Teixeira FRA vs. Jan Mertl CZE
Laurynas Grigelis LTU vs. Antonio Veic CRO [30]

Good luck Brian!

Tennis Account: https://twitter.com/ARhyneMoment
Youtube Channel: youtube.com/SapELee485
Rhyne's Picture Thread
Rhyne Williams FB Updates
SapELee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2012, 09:42 PM   #92
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

SapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond repute

62 63 , Gremelmayr up next.

Baker zooms into second round of Wimbledon qualifying:
Quote:

Brian Baker generated headlines in Paris a few weeks ago when his comeback was hailed by Justin Gimelstob as the greatest in the sport of tennis.
The American endured a six year absence from the tour when his career was derailed by a string of injuries but five major operations later he is back and looking decisive.

The 27-year-old, who enjoyed a seven match winning streak on the red stuff in Nice and pushed 11th seeded Frenchman Gilles Simon to five sets in the French Open, produced an almost flawless game in his first round qualifying meeting with Radu Albot pocketing a 6-2, 6-3 victory.

“After the French Open I took a week off and was definitely feeling the effect of all the matches I had played,” Baker told Wimbledon.com this evening.

“At Queen’s I lost first round qualies and didn’t feel like I knew what I was doing but today was a lot better, I felt like I served a lot better and I returned well so I was pleased with my performance.

“It’s good to be back out here. I think the last time I played here was 2005 and that was a first game, I tore my MCL and had to retire. It feels great just to be back playing tennis again but Wimbledon is a special event and I’m hoping I can continue the momentum that I’ve had the last couple of months and qualify and maybe do some damage in the main draw.”
Attached Images
File Type: jpg m_q01_baker_27_aeltc_n_tingle.jpg (69.8 KB, 0 views)

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 06-19-2012, 05:12 PM   #93
country flag Josh V

Josh V has a reputation beyond reputeJosh V has a reputation beyond reputeJosh V has a reputation beyond reputeJosh V has a reputation beyond reputeJosh V has a reputation beyond reputeJosh V has a reputation beyond reputeJosh V has a reputation beyond reputeJosh V has a reputation beyond reputeJosh V has a reputation beyond reputeJosh V has a reputation beyond reputeJosh V has a reputation beyond repute

Brian beat Gremelmayr and is into the final qualifying round! Great job Brian

Isner, Sock, Williams, Johnson, Harrison

Baghdatis, Hewitt, Gasquet, Raonic
Josh V is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:16 PM   #94
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 06-20-2012, 05:16 PM   #95
country flag Josh V

Josh V has a reputation beyond reputeJosh V has a reputation beyond reputeJosh V has a reputation beyond reputeJosh V has a reputation beyond reputeJosh V has a reputation beyond reputeJosh V has a reputation beyond reputeJosh V has a reputation beyond reputeJosh V has a reputation beyond reputeJosh V has a reputation beyond reputeJosh V has a reputation beyond reputeJosh V has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on qualifying Brian Good luck in the main draw!

Old 06-20-2012, 08:52 PM   #96
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Baker set to make Wimbledon debut after qualifying

Quote:

Brian Baker, the 27-year-old American who was out of action for six years due to injury, proved that good things come to those who wait as he booked a spot into the Wimbledon main draw for the first time in his career.

The American had struggled to find form in the opening set against France’s Maxime Teixeira dropping the first set 5-7. The blip proved temporary, however, and he proceeded to steamroller his way through the next three sets 6-2, 6-1, 6-1 and ensure he will make his Wimbledon debut next week.

“It feels great and is very exciting,” Baker told Wimbledon.com.

“I started off a little slow today but I was able to turn it round pretty quickly. Once I got the first breakpoint the floodgates kind of opened up and I was able to break a lot. I had two match points. It’s never easy closing it out.”

For now Baker’s priority is to take care of his body – the one that has undergone five major operations in as many years. “I’ll maybe take it easy tomorrow, and then Friday, Saturday and Sunday go and hit over at Wimbledon,” he added. “The grand slams are the pinnacle of tennis so it just makes it that much more special coming back and earning my way through qualies and that feels good.”
Hoping for a good draw .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg m_q02_baker_19_aeltc_n_tingle.jpg (74.1 KB, 0 views)

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 06-20-2012, 09:24 PM   #97
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Link

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 06-22-2012, 09:12 PM   #98
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

[14]Lopez v Nieminen
B.Baker v Machado
Ebden v Paire
Bogomolov v [22]Dolgopolov
[27]Kohlschreiber v Haas
Zopp v Jaziri
Rosol v Dodig
Bellucci v [2]Nadal

Good luck Brian .

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 06-26-2012, 01:40 AM   #99
country flag Whiznot

Whiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck Brian. I will be up at 6:30AM EST to watch and cheer you to victory against Machado tomorrow. Your televised matches have been awesome to watch for this old tennis fan! Thank you ESPN3 for court 16 coverage.
Whiznot is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:18 AM   #100
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Good luck Brian. Will miss the match, but will watch the replay on ESPN3 later.

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 06-26-2012, 03:02 AM   #101
country flag Josh V

Good luck Brian! So glad it will be on ESPN3.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:19 PM   #102
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Congrats to Brian on his win at Wimbledon

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 06-26-2012, 09:28 PM   #103
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I'm off to watch the replay : http://espn.go.com/watchespn/player/...ize/condensed/

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 06-27-2012, 12:29 AM   #104
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default Baker continues fairytale run

Quote:
Baker continues fairytale run

by Matt Trollope
Tuesday 26 June 2012

You regularly hear about successful comebacks. Maria Sharapova’s French Open win after career-threatening shoulder surgery, Serena Williams back in the top 10 after being hospitalised with blood clots on her lungs and Kim Clijsters returning to win three majors as a mother.

While those are fabulous achievements, any player would be hard-pressed to match the fairytale story of Brian Baker, a 27-year-old American who had all but given up on his professional career after five bouts of surgery and barely playing for six years.

The player that had promised so much as a junior and in his first spell on the Tour – most notable for his defeat of No.9 seed Gaston Gaudio at the 2005 US Open – was in full swing today on Court 16 as he dismantled 96th-ranked Rui Machado 7-6(2), 6-4, 6-0.

Simply being at the All England Club is an achievement for the Nashville native, who endured three hip operations, plus surgeries on an elbow and a hernia, before taking the first steps toward a fully-fledged comeback in mid 2011.

Baker admitted that around the time of his elbow surgery he had doubts about his ability to return to the sport.

“The worst moment was probably sitting in the operating room before my elbow surgery because I’d already had all the hip surgeries and I knew that this one was going to be the longest recovery,’’ Baker said. ''I told myself that I’m not going to keep having surgeries to prolong my career.''

Thankfully he hasn’t had to. His arrival in the main draw this year came after three wins in qualifying, continuing a stellar run in 2012 that has seen him go 39-10 and shave his ranking from No.456 to No.126.

A glance quickly revealed that Baker’s game was far better suited to grass than his Portuguese opponent. He hugged the baseline, took the ball early and sent flat, aggressive drives to Machado, who had set up camp against the back fence to pound his heavy top-spin forehand.

Despite their different styles the opening set was even, with both striking winners and holding serve until a tie-break.

After Baker struck a crisp backhand return winner for an immediate mini-break, Machado collapsed in a bundle of errors to gift the American four consecutive set points. Baker required just one to establish a one-set lead. Baker continued where he left off in the tie-break, breaking early to lead 2-1. It all became a bit much for Machado, his frustration boiling over after Baker won a point with a deep drive very close to the baseline, but there is no Hawkeye on the outside courts.

Although displaying a few signs of tension late in the second set – he played a bad game when serving for it at 5-2 – Baker regrouped to close it out on his next service game.

The two-set buffer appeared to much for Machado. He capitulated in the third, his serve deserting him – he finished with 11 double faults – and was broken three times. Meanwhile, Baker stayed true to his aggressive game, striking a backhand winner to take a 5-0 lead and comfortably serving out.

His reward for the one-hour-and-54-minute victory is a second-round match against Finn Jarkko Nieminen.

“I’d be lying if I sat here and said I expected all this success to happen right now when I was going through all those surgeries,” Baker added. “But I never gave up hope that I would be able to come back, and I was always confident in my abilities that if I was able to stay healthy that I would have success.”
Attached Images
File Type: jpg m_02_baker_05_aeltc_s_wake.jpg (114.1 KB, 0 views)

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 06-28-2012, 12:45 AM   #105
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

First round interview: http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/news/...722074442.html

Rhyne's Picture Thread