Brian Baker - Page 16 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 05-17-2013, 02:26 PM   #226
country flag PitsOfTheWorld

PitsOfTheWorld has a reputation beyond reputePitsOfTheWorld has a reputation beyond reputePitsOfTheWorld has a reputation beyond reputePitsOfTheWorld has a reputation beyond reputePitsOfTheWorld has a reputation beyond reputePitsOfTheWorld has a reputation beyond reputePitsOfTheWorld has a reputation beyond reputePitsOfTheWorld has a reputation beyond reputePitsOfTheWorld has a reputation beyond reputePitsOfTheWorld has a reputation beyond reputePitsOfTheWorld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brian Baker

Anyone who's good at ATP rankings...would Brian still make the main draw at Wimbledon, even after dropping Nice and RG points? Obviously when he comes back to the US he'll be getting WCs left and right.
"A tacit rhetorical assumption here is that you have very probably never heard of Michael Joyce of Brentwood, L.A... Nor of Vince Spadea nor Jonathan Stark...--all ranked in the world’s top one hundred at one point in 1995. Nor of Jeff Tarango, sixty-eight in the world, unless you remember his unfortunate psychotic breakdown in full public view during last year’s Wimbledon.

You are invited to try to imagine what it would be like to be among the hundred best in the world at something. At anything. I have tried to imagine; it’s hard."
--David Foster Wallace (), "Tennis Player Michael Joyce's Professional Artistry as a Paradigm of Certain Stuff about Choice, Freedom, Discipline, Joy, Grotesquerie, and Human Completeness"
PitsOfTheWorld is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2013, 02:45 PM   #227
country flag jcempire

jcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitsOfTheWorld View Post
Anyone who's good at ATP rankings...would Brian still make the main draw at Wimbledon, even after dropping Nice and RG points? Obviously when he comes back to the US he'll be getting WCs left and right.
I think he should make Main Draw at Wimbledon

Nadal Nadal Nadal
jcempire is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:48 PM   #228
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

SapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond repute

The list is already out. Brian is in the maindraw. His points don't come off til next week.

Tennis Account: https://twitter.com/ARhyneMoment
Youtube Channel: youtube.com/SapELee485
Rhyne's Picture Thread
Rhyne Williams FB Updates

Last edited by SapELee : 05-17-2013 at 04:51 PM.
SapELee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:42 PM   #229

PitsOfTheWorld has a reputation beyond reputePitsOfTheWorld has a reputation beyond reputePitsOfTheWorld has a reputation beyond reputePitsOfTheWorld has a reputation beyond reputePitsOfTheWorld has a reputation beyond reputePitsOfTheWorld has a reputation beyond reputePitsOfTheWorld has a reputation beyond reputePitsOfTheWorld has a reputation beyond reputePitsOfTheWorld has a reputation beyond reputePitsOfTheWorld has a reputation beyond reputePitsOfTheWorld has a reputation beyond repute

Cool. I see he is also in the EL for Queen's...and an alternate at Eastbourne. Hope he can play those...wouldn't want 1R Wimbledon to be his first match since the AO...
"A tacit rhetorical assumption here is that you have very probably never heard of Michael Joyce of Brentwood, L.A... Nor of Vince Spadea nor Jonathan Stark...--all ranked in the world’s top one hundred at one point in 1995. Nor of Jeff Tarango, sixty-eight in the world, unless you remember his unfortunate psychotic breakdown in full public view during last year’s Wimbledon.

You are invited to try to imagine what it would be like to be among the hundred best in the world at something. At anything. I have tried to imagine; it’s hard."
--David Foster Wallace (), "Tennis Player Michael Joyce's Professional Artistry as a Paradigm of Certain Stuff about Choice, Freedom, Discipline, Joy, Grotesquerie, and Human Completeness"
Old 05-19-2013, 04:17 AM   #230
country flag jcempire

jcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitsOfTheWorld View Post
Cool. I see he is also in the EL for Queen's...and an alternate at Eastbourne. Hope he can play those...wouldn't want 1R Wimbledon to be his first match since the AO...
Hope he gains some points before Wimbledon

Nadal Nadal Nadal
Old 05-23-2013, 09:51 PM   #231
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

SapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Brian Baker: Eyes on Paris as recovery continues

New excerpt from Brian....

Quote:
I'll keep it short this week concerning my rehab. Like every week, I'm doing everything I can to get back on the court and am motivated to come back stronger than ever. I'm sure it will be tough to watch a ton of the French Open, but I'm a true tennis fan. That means I will definitely be watching and keeping up with the results. I hope to make a decision about Wimbledon in the coming weeks.

I wasn't able to see much of the NCAA team tennis tournament held in Champaign, Ill., this year, but I followed the live stat tracker very closely. The final match between UCLA and Virginia must have been a match for the ages! I feel for the UCLA kid who lost his match point when his racket ticked the net on a volley.

LAST TIME: It's tough on the sidelines

That rarely ever happens, and it will probably take him a long time to recover mentally (I wonder how many times a team has won the championship after being down match point?) On the other end, Mitchell Frank deserves a lot of credit for keeping his composure under extreme pressure and fighting back to win the clinching match. I've played Mitchell before, and he is a tough out. He fights every point and makes very few unforced errors. On top of that, I'm excited that he was able to come back this season from a very similar knee surgery as mine. I believe he had a meniscal repair in his knee last August.

I've also been keeping tabs on the Americans competing at the French Open qualies. It looks like we must be wearing the right kind of clay court shoes this year! If I'm not mistaken, I think we already have four guys into the final round of qualies with more to play later today. It's nice to see the young guys have some success on the clay because we barely won any matches in France last year. This new group of guys relish the opportunity to get better on clay and it seems like their positive attitude is paying off. Hopefully we can get a handful of guys all the way through qualies and in to the main draw.

My vacation to San Francisco last weekend was a blast. I was able to see some of the sights in the city, visit wineries in Napa (Miner Family Winery were great hosts!), and see the musical artist Beck live in Santa Cruz. My girlfriend Alathea and I have been lucky enough to travel the world together, but typically I always have a crazy schedule because I'm playing an event. It was really fun just to be on a "normal" vacation with her where we could have some quality time.

— Brian
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...diary/2354319/

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 05-23-2013, 10:31 PM   #232
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Made the list of Tennessee's Best Juniors coming in @ No.5.

Quote:
1 Brian Gottfried (Baylor/Trinity) … Kalamazoo titles – 18s (s&d) … also won national 12s (s), 12s (d), 14s (d) … Pro Titles - singles (25) and doubles (54) … grand slam doubles titles (3) - French (2), Wimbledon (1) plus Italian (4) ... Singles results … French (2nd) Wimbledon (semis) US Open (quarters)

2 Roscoe Tanner (Baylor/Stanford) … won Mid-South Conference (2x) plus national interscholastic (doubles with David Dick) and national collegiate amateur (s) … 1972 NCAA doubles champ … 3x All-American … Pro Tour Ranking: No.4 - pro titles – singles (16) doubles (13) … grand slams (1) Australian Open winner … on Davis Cup winning team

3 Chris Woodruff (Knox Bearden/U. of Tenn.) TSSAA – 1990 state singles champ … national interscholastic singles champ … NCAA singles champ … Pro Ranking – No.29 … won two ATP singles titles … won first round clinching match for US in Davis Cup

4 Ben Testerman (from Knoxville) … Kalamazoo titles – 16s (s&d) … Pro Ranking: No.22 (singles), No.33 (doubles) … Australian Open semis … U.S. Open quarters

5 Brian Baker (Hillwood HS) TSSAA – 2000 singles title … In Juniors – No.2 in world (s) and No.5 (d)) … won 2002 Orange Bowl … runner-up at 2003 Junior French Open … reached quarters at junior U.S. Open and Wimbledon … Pro Tour Ranking – No.52 in singles … has won one match in each grand slam event in 2012 … advanced to Wimbledon round of 16

6 Zan Guerry (Baylor./Rice) … Junior National Ranking - the 1960s (No.2) … 31 national titles …3x All-American at Rice … Kalamazoo titles - 16s (s), 18s (d) in mid-1960s …. national singles titles; 11s, 14s, 16s 18s, 35s, 40, and 45s .. numerous national doubles titles … national interscholastic singles and doubles champion in 1967 …

7 Jimmy Brown (Nashville) … Kalamazoo titles - 16s (s) and 18s (s) in 1979-80… Junior National Ranking - 1980s (No.7) … Pro Tour Ranking: No.42

8 Rhyne Williams (U. of Tennessee) … NCAA runner-up … won ITA national collegiate indoor. Pro Tour Ranking: 119

9 Tennys Sandgren (Knoxville/U. of Tennessee ) … No.9 in world in juniors ...won matches at junior French, Wimbledon and Australian … Kalamazoo titles - 16s (s) in 2007 … Pro Tour Ranking: 211

10 Ricky Brown (Nashville) … Junior National Ranking - 1980s (No.19) … Kalamazoo titles – 16s (s), 18s (s) in early 80s
http://www.chattanoogan.com/2013/5/2...te-s-Best.aspx

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 05-30-2013, 11:17 AM   #233

Baker out of Queen's.

In his latest USA Today he said he'd make a decision on Wimbledon soon.

Also in the entry list for Newport.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:13 PM   #234
country flag Dead Net Cord

Dead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond repute

Douglas Robson ‏@dougrobson
Brian Baker delays comeback until week of July 22 to ensure protected ranking of No. 56 (must be out 6 months). Hurt knee at AO
Dead Net Cord is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:39 PM   #235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Net Cord View Post
Douglas Robson ‏@dougrobson
Brian Baker delays comeback until week of July 22 to ensure protected ranking of No. 56 (must be out 6 months). Hurt knee at AO
Damn. So much for possibly seeing him at the Winnetka Challenger next month. See him at Cincy, maybe.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

Old 06-11-2013, 07:53 PM   #236
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Sigh, I miss Brian. Was hoping he would be back for the grass season.

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 06-27-2013, 08:34 PM   #237
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default Brian Baker: Time to play some competitive sets

Quote:
Just got back to Nashville on Tuesday night from Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla., where I was working with Todd Martin. It was definitely fun working with Todd for the nine days I was down there training. My footwork has improved and my base fitness is getting much stronger. I did not play a ton of competitive points, so I'm looking forward to playing some practice sets and matches in the coming weeks.

I will be in Nashville this week and then will probably head out of town to find some better hits. During the summer, everyone is playing tournaments which makes it difficult to find good places to train.

LAST TIME: Training hard in the Florida heat

Sometimes the best thing to do is just to head to the tournament and be the glorified "whipping boy" for the week. I may head up to Chicago next week where there is a challenger or Newport the following week (definitely won't be practicing on grass though!).

Saying Wimbledon has been unpredictable this year would be the understatement of the year. This year's tournament has been downright absurd with so many top seeds losing early and others forced to withdraw or retire due to injury. I really don't think the grass was prepared differently this year, but maybe the weather conditions have caused it to be a bit more slick.

I vividly remember tearing the MCL in my knee during a qualifying match way back in 2005. I was playing Novak Djokovic of all people and went down in the first game of the match. Everybody was slipping that day and you needed a little luck to slip gracefully and not tear anything. This year seems to be similar with so many people slipping. It just seems like some of the top players had some bad luck with their falls. Bottom line is that I feel for everyone that got injured because I know what it's like to withdraw from a slam and it is not fun at all! You work so hard to peak for the slams, so it's a shame when the hard work doesn't pay dividends.

I haven't analyzed the draw carefully, but obviously some players in Fed and Rafa's quarter have a great opportunity to advance deep into the tournament. I know it's disappointing to the fans to lose Rafa and Fed so early, but it can be fun to see a dark horse play deep into the second week. It also shows how deep men's tennis really is and shows the impressiveness of Fed's streak of consecutive quarters in slams. A lot of players have never made the quarters of a Slam and Fed did it for nine consecutive years (36 straight)! Just insane!

Looking forward to watch my buddy Bobby Reynolds face off against Novak in the second round. Maybe he can get some confidence from Darcis and Stakhovsky. One thing is for sure, nothing is a given at this year's Wimbledon.

— Brian
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...diary/2462763/

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 07-08-2013, 09:08 PM   #238
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Tennis East Coast ‏@TennisEastCoast 5h

@BBakesTennis is in the house @TennisHalloFame! #ATPNewport pic.twitter.com/wKApTqS5ru

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 07-08-2013, 10:31 PM   #239
country flag Tricky_Forehand

Tricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond repute

That photo is a good sight to see!
's-Hertogenbosch - 4th place
GSTAAD - WINNER
Tricky_Forehand is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:55 PM   #240
country flag jcempire

hope everything is fine for him

Nadal Nadal Nadal