I might have hypothyroidism - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-07-2007, 05:56 AM   #1
country flag ~*BGT*~

~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute
Default I might have hypothyroidism

Over the past few months, I've been having some symptoms consistent with hypothyroidism. It's a condition where the thyroid doesn't produce enough hormone, slowing down your metabolism and reducing your energy. Some of the symptoms I'm having are modest weight gain, tiredness and exhaustion, and having trouble concentrating and thinking clearly. I noticed yesterday that my thyroid glands were swollen, which is why I started researching my symptoms. Most notably is my family history. Both my mom and aunt had hyperthyroidism, which is the opposite. Your thyroid is overactive and you lose lots of weight; they both take pills everyday, but my mom actually had her gland surgically removed. I made an appointment to see a doctor today so I'll update you guys after that. Below is a picture of a thyroid.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
~*BGT*~ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2007, 07:46 AM   #2
country flag scarecrows
Ace Loveforty

scarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I might have hypothyroidism

there are various situations that can cause hypothyroidism

you'll have to take those hormones orally and probably forever but this will depend on the factors that caused it

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerRafaFan View Post
That will be the last victory of Rafa for quite some time.. With his joke mentality and pathetic game, I hope the disgusting player loses every single match next season. He's disgraceful. He should just retire. He's a joke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_mac View Post
(10) Corey Feldman vs. (12) scarecrows
scarecrows is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 08:41 AM   #3
country flag VolandriFan

VolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds very likely that you do suffer from the condition, but self-diagnosis is never a certain thing. I diagnosed myself with Ulcerative Colitis and it turned out that I did in fact suffer from the condition, but you need an expert opinion to confirm.

All of the symptoms you listed are also consistent with hyperthyroidism also, weight gain can occur in both conditions. I'm guessing you have a genetic predisposition towards hyperthyroidism, so I wouldn't rule that out either.

I hope you sort things out soon and keep your symptoms under control.

Fognini|Mathieu|Falla|Bolelli|Muller|Verdasco
Monaco|Garcia-Lopez|Dancevic|Granollers|Massu|Schwank
Wolmarans|Xristos|Ferrer|Monfils|Alcaide|Starace
VolandriFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 01:40 PM   #4
country flag JustJames
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

JustJames has a reputation beyond reputeJustJames has a reputation beyond reputeJustJames has a reputation beyond reputeJustJames has a reputation beyond reputeJustJames has a reputation beyond reputeJustJames has a reputation beyond reputeJustJames has a reputation beyond reputeJustJames has a reputation beyond reputeJustJames has a reputation beyond reputeJustJames has a reputation beyond reputeJustJames has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolandriFan View Post
It sounds very likely that you do suffer from the condition, but self-diagnosis is never a certain thing. I diagnosed myself with Ulcerative Colitis and it turned out that I did in fact suffer from the condition, but you need an expert opinion to confirm.

All of the symptoms you listed are also consistent with hyperthyroidism also, weight gain can occur in both conditions. I'm guessing you have a genetic predisposition towards hyperthyroidism, so I wouldn't rule that out either.

Blackgirltennis: Going to see a doctor is a must; attempting to treat yourself would be a big mistake and could actually make any problems worse. Aside from that I hope you manage to sort things out and are feeling better in the near future.

Volandri Fan: I did the same, although it is quite easy to spot the precursors of UC [unfortunately.. ]. Sorry to hijack your thread blackgirltennis but how do you find living with the condition V-F? I have only been diagnosed within the past few months and am just coming to terms with how best to manage my diet, tiredness etc etc.

Supporting British tennis at: http://www.freewebs.com/britishtennis/
JustJames is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 01:50 PM   #5
country flag HybridTheory

HybridTheory has a reputation beyond reputeHybridTheory has a reputation beyond reputeHybridTheory has a reputation beyond reputeHybridTheory has a reputation beyond reputeHybridTheory has a reputation beyond reputeHybridTheory has a reputation beyond reputeHybridTheory has a reputation beyond reputeHybridTheory has a reputation beyond reputeHybridTheory has a reputation beyond reputeHybridTheory has a reputation beyond reputeHybridTheory has a reputation beyond repute

You should definitely see a doctor, a bloodtest will prove if it is indeed hypothyroidism or not. What will happen next totally depends on how bad it is. Sometimes it's enough to take medicines for a certain period, which can be a couple of months, a couple of years or your whole life. I have hypothyroidism as well, so if you are looking for more information or for questions, PM me if you want to!
Old 11-07-2007, 02:01 PM   #6
country flag ~*BGT*~

~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, I will ) This is kind of scray because I've never really had a condition like this. I mean, I have very mild eczema, but the treatment for that is just a topical cream only when there's a flare-up. But having to take hormones everyday is a scary thing. Both my parents are diabetic (mom is type 2 and dad is type 1), both have heart conditions, in fact my mom almost died of heart failure when I was born, and my dad has glaucoma, eczema, and psorasis. As someone told me a long time ago, "Man, your parents really fucked you over!!"

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

Old 11-07-2007, 02:09 PM   #7
country flag HybridTheory

HybridTheory has a reputation beyond reputeHybridTheory has a reputation beyond reputeHybridTheory has a reputation beyond reputeHybridTheory has a reputation beyond reputeHybridTheory has a reputation beyond reputeHybridTheory has a reputation beyond reputeHybridTheory has a reputation beyond reputeHybridTheory has a reputation beyond reputeHybridTheory has a reputation beyond reputeHybridTheory has a reputation beyond reputeHybridTheory has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry too much, it can be hard when you don't know what it is, but when they found out and it's not too bad you will be allright with medicines
Old 11-07-2007, 04:35 PM   #8
country flag El Legenda
Not a Registered User

El Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond repute

amazing..how much people will make up just not to get votes in the ACC...you're still a bound for 4th round even with BS like this.

Old 11-07-2007, 04:38 PM   #9
country flag El Legenda
Not a Registered User

El Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond repute

amazing..how much people will make up just not to get votes in the ACC...you're still a bound for 4th round even with BS like this.

Old 11-07-2007, 05:09 PM   #10
country flag ~*BGT*~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Seinfeld View Post

I can understand how you'd think I'm making this up, but I need no help from an illness to go deep in the ACC. It's not fun gaining weight and not even having enough energy to get out of bed to go to class. There's a big difference between staying in bed all day because you want to and staying in bed all day because you can't get up.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

Old 11-07-2007, 11:24 PM   #11
country flag Haute

Haute has a reputation beyond reputeHaute has a reputation beyond reputeHaute has a reputation beyond reputeHaute has a reputation beyond reputeHaute has a reputation beyond reputeHaute has a reputation beyond reputeHaute has a reputation beyond reputeHaute has a reputation beyond reputeHaute has a reputation beyond reputeHaute has a reputation beyond reputeHaute has a reputation beyond repute

I had a problem with hyperthyroidism last year (and still do a bit) after I had a viral infection. It's more of an inconvenience than anything really, but definitely make sure you get to your doctor right away so that they can help you to correct the imbalance.

Good luck!
Old 11-07-2007, 11:28 PM   #12
country flag R.Federer

R.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond repute

Well..... if you are actually a girl (and not just a supporter of African American Women's Tennis judging by your username) I can tell you that you will need to address it down the road if you were to want to get preg.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:01 AM   #13
country flag mtw

mtw has a reputation beyond reputemtw has a reputation beyond reputemtw has a reputation beyond reputemtw has a reputation beyond reputemtw has a reputation beyond reputemtw has a reputation beyond reputemtw has a reputation beyond reputemtw has a reputation beyond reputemtw has a reputation beyond reputemtw has a reputation beyond reputemtw has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolandriFan View Post

Oh my God. It is very hard disease. How do you come to this idea that it is Colitis Ulcerosa? Had you typical symptoms: bloody diarrhoea is typical sign of this severe disease ?
mtw is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 09:13 AM   #14
country flag mtw

mtw has a reputation beyond reputemtw has a reputation beyond reputemtw has a reputation beyond reputemtw has a reputation beyond reputemtw has a reputation beyond reputemtw has a reputation beyond reputemtw has a reputation beyond reputemtw has a reputation beyond reputemtw has a reputation beyond reputemtw has a reputation beyond reputemtw has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackgirltennis View Post
Over the past few months, I've been having some symptoms consistent with hypothyroidism. It's a condition where the thyroid doesn't produce enough hormone, slowing down your metabolism and reducing your energy. Some of the symptoms I'm having are modest weight gain, tiredness and exhaustion, and having trouble concentrating and thinking clearly. I noticed yesterday that my thyroid glands were swollen, which is why I started researching my symptoms. Most notably is my family history. Both my mom and aunt had hyperthyroidism, which is the opposite. Your thyroid is overactive and you lose lots of weight; they both take pills everyday, but my mom actually had her gland surgically removed. I made an appointment to see a doctor today so I'll update you guys after that. Below is a picture of a thyroid.

And was it confirmed or not? In your case it is quite low-symptomatic. If you have a goitre, it can be.
There should be other symptoms by symptomatic hypothyreoidismus: persistent constipation, dry skin, fine, coming out hair, slow heart frequency, desquamative skin on knees and elbows ( characteristic black spots in these places ). You should go to doctor.
mtw is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 09:50 AM   #15
country flag VolandriFan

VolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtw View Post
Oh my God. It is very hard disease. How do you come to this idea that it is Colitis Ulcerosa? Had you typical symptoms: bloody diarrhoea is typical sign of this severe disease ?
Severe weight loss, stomach cramps, bloody diarrhea, tiredness, anemia.

Fognini|Mathieu|Falla|Bolelli|Muller|Verdasco
Monaco|Garcia-Lopez|Dancevic|Granollers|Massu|Schwank
Wolmarans|Xristos|Ferrer|Monfils|Alcaide|Starace
VolandriFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote