can't work with topspin - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-18-2007, 02:45 AM   #1
country flag sondraj06

sondraj06 has a reputation beyond reputesondraj06 has a reputation beyond reputesondraj06 has a reputation beyond reputesondraj06 has a reputation beyond reputesondraj06 has a reputation beyond reputesondraj06 has a reputation beyond reputesondraj06 has a reputation beyond reputesondraj06 has a reputation beyond reputesondraj06 has a reputation beyond reputesondraj06 has a reputation beyond reputesondraj06 has a reputation beyond repute
Default can't work with topspin

I have only been playing tennis for a month, and some things I think I do well enough. Like My serve, to me is good, I just need to work on my accuracy. My overhead shot is good, no problems there but my ground strokes needs work. I have a bit of a problem with keeping the ball low. I don't think I hit it with enough slice, but today I noticed something. I noticed that when some one hits the ball with topspin it's harder for me to return it. I've noticed that slice is really no problem for me, because when the ball comes at me I don't really have to think to much about it. I just take it out the air. But with topspin it leaves the ball in the air and I can see it getting ready to drop. So my problem is, I have to think, O.K were is this ball going to fall, should I take it out the air or let it drop first. My timing in tennis is wayyy off, so I tend to run up on the ball too much or not enough or don't turn right, or just a bunch of problems because there is all this room to think. As oppose to the slice where I don't really have to think. I just look so uncoridinated, where it leaves me saying to myself, look I know how this looks but I'm way more coridinated than this ball would like you to think. So does that make sense. So has anyone else had this problem. And I would like to know how to keep my ground strokes flatter, they are way to high.
sondraj06 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2007, 03:13 AM   #2
country flag *Viva Chile*

*Viva Chile* has a reputation beyond repute*Viva Chile* has a reputation beyond repute*Viva Chile* has a reputation beyond repute*Viva Chile* has a reputation beyond repute*Viva Chile* has a reputation beyond repute*Viva Chile* has a reputation beyond repute*Viva Chile* has a reputation beyond repute*Viva Chile* has a reputation beyond repute*Viva Chile* has a reputation beyond repute*Viva Chile* has a reputation beyond repute*Viva Chile* has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: can't work with topspin

sondra, this kind of threads are not for GM, it exists a "General Players Talk" forum for start threads like this, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapeod View Post
Take that you bitch. In your face. And to top it off her son, Novak went out in the 3rd round, has been leapfrogged by Murray in the rankings and is only a little bit ahead off Juan Martin In yo face, biatch.
*Viva Chile* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 03:18 AM   #3
country flag sondraj06

sondraj06 has a reputation beyond reputesondraj06 has a reputation beyond reputesondraj06 has a reputation beyond reputesondraj06 has a reputation beyond reputesondraj06 has a reputation beyond reputesondraj06 has a reputation beyond reputesondraj06 has a reputation beyond reputesondraj06 has a reputation beyond reputesondraj06 has a reputation beyond reputesondraj06 has a reputation beyond reputesondraj06 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh O.K I guess some one will move it
Old 02-19-2007, 08:52 AM   #4
country flag Dougie

Dougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond repute

A couple of quick words...
First of all, if you´ve played tennis for only a month, it´s only natural that you have problems with timing, anticipation etc. It´s a hard game, every shot needs a lot of work. Topspin shots are difficult to return, but just keep on playing, and in time you will learn to anticipate the ball better.
Also, since you are a beginner, I would advice you not to try to hit your groundies too flat, you will only make more mistakes that way. Try to keep the marginal high, hit well over the net and well inside the lines. Topspin is the best way to do that, it gives variety and marginal to your shots. When you are a beginner, you don´t want to hit hard and flat, you want to avoid errors.
Good luck!
Dougie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 05:27 PM   #5
country flag sondraj06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
A couple of quick words...
First of all, if you´ve played tennis for only a month, it´s only natural that you have problems with timing, anticipation etc. It´s a hard game, every shot needs a lot of work. Topspin shots are difficult to return, but just keep on playing, and in time you will learn to anticipate the ball better.
Also, since you are a beginner, I would advice you not to try to hit your groundies too flat, you will only make more mistakes that way. Try to keep the marginal high, hit well over the net and well inside the lines. Topspin is the best way to do that, it gives variety and marginal to your shots. When you are a beginner, you don´t want to hit hard and flat, you want to avoid errors.
Good luck!

thanks
Old 09-03-2007, 05:58 AM   #6
country flag Marek.

Marek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond repute

Still having trouble with topspin RFK?
Marek. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 11:49 AM   #7
country flag mcnasty

mcnasty has a reputation beyond reputemcnasty has a reputation beyond reputemcnasty has a reputation beyond reputemcnasty has a reputation beyond reputemcnasty has a reputation beyond reputemcnasty has a reputation beyond reputemcnasty has a reputation beyond reputemcnasty has a reputation beyond reputemcnasty has a reputation beyond reputemcnasty has a reputation beyond reputemcnasty has a reputation beyond repute

there are two ways to deal with high bouncing topspin groundstrokes. stand as far back behind the baseline as the court and the opposing player's tennis savvy will allow so that when striking the ball one strikes the ball at its lowest possible trajectory; or (and this requires exceptional hand eye coordination a la andre agassi) position well inside the baseline and strike the ball on the rise, that is short hop the ball before it has a chance to bounce above one's waist.
mcnasty is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 11:16 PM   #8
country flag klinsi

klinsi is on a distinguished road

Just have to keep your feet moving. Tennis is a moving game. You want to strike the ball at the same location everytime, so if the ball is high then you have to position yourself so that you're not hitting it high. Move back, stay behind the ball, and make adjustments forward as you are about to hit the ball.
klinsi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 02:41 PM   #9
country flag tennisplayer89

tennisplayer89 is on a distinguished road

You have to practice hitting against top spin. It is purely a timing your problem. Your brain cannot quite anticipate how the ball will land and bounce. You just need to hit lots of top spin balls. After hitting several thousand, you should have the timing down quite well. Since you've only been playing for a month, don't get discourage people who have been playing for years have similar problems. Just keep working at it, and you'll figure it out.