Alzheimer's and Parkinson's Research - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-30-2007, 01:12 AM   #1
country flag Snowwy

Snowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Alzheimer's and Parkinson's Research

If you want to join a project to help research. Details of the project are http://folding.stanford.edu/.

To download the software: http://folding.stanford.edu/download.html

And once it's installed, double click on the F@H icon (the control panel should open) and add the team number 83120 (Tennis Fans United) to it.

Make sure you use the same username as on the board in there.

Its really easy, runs in the background, and has never slowed my computer down at all.

Last edited by Snowwy : 11-05-2007 at 12:32 PM.
Snowwy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2007, 01:12 AM   #2
country flag Snowwy

Snowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with Alzheimer's and Parkinson's Research

Our goal

To understand protein folding, misfolding, and related diseases
What is protein folding and how is folding linked to disease? Proteins are biology's workhorses -- its "nanomachines." Before proteins can carry out these important functions, they assemble themselves, or "fold." The process of protein folding, while critical and fundamental to virtually all of biology, in many ways remains a mystery.

Moreover, when proteins do not fold correctly (i.e. "misfold"), there can be serious consequences, including many well known diseases, such as Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, Huntington's, Parkinson's disease, and many Cancers and cancer-related syndromes.
You can help by simply running a piece of software. Folding@Home is a distributed computing project -- people from through out the world download and run software to band together to make one of the largest supercomputers in the world. Every computer makes the project closer to our goals.

Folding@Home uses novel computational methods coupled to distributed computing, to simulate problems thousands to millions of times more challenging than previously achieved.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:48 PM   #3
country flag mtw

mtw has a reputation beyond reputemtw has a reputation beyond reputemtw has a reputation beyond reputemtw has a reputation beyond reputemtw has a reputation beyond reputemtw has a reputation beyond reputemtw has a reputation beyond reputemtw has a reputation beyond reputemtw has a reputation beyond reputemtw has a reputation beyond reputemtw has a reputation beyond repute

I don't understand, in what way people could help in these reaserches by klicking. Have these researches a sense besides? These diseases concerns most of all old people with brains, which cannot regenerate. And in what way could it be regenerated. Alzheimer disease relies on cumulation of wrong proteins in brain, which damages braindells and Parkinson on damage of some part of subcortical corns. How could it be rebuild? It is only a waste of money.
Personally I support nourishment of Iraqi children and refugees from Iraq, rebuild of one town in Afghanistan and some other things - education of children in South America and Africa. When all more important things in the world would be kept in order ( no occupying wars, no poverty, no starveling ) people should take care of Parkinson Disease, Alzheimer Disease and most urgent diseases for instance: MS or Lateral Amyothrophic Sclerosis - it concerns young people and it is real tragedy. Besides health insurance are very high in the west countries. Is this not enough for researches? There are spent millions of dollars and euro for medical research: for instance breast cancer and other cancers and it gives nothing. People are dying still on this disease. Does it exist a settlement with this money for medical research?
Sorry but I have not met young people with Alzheimer Disease or Parkinson Disease.
mtw is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 11:18 PM   #4
country flag Richard_from_Cal

Richard_from_Cal has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_from_Cal has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_from_Cal has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_from_Cal has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_from_Cal has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_from_Cal has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_from_Cal has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_from_Cal has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_from_Cal has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_from_Cal has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_from_Cal has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting homepage. Developed hyperlinks in Chinese, German, English, Spanish, French...and there it stops. Lots of room for further language development.

I wonder about multi-national charities and organizations. With German, and Russian, being the languages we of my generation in the U.S.A. were advised to learn, for a scientific occupation...and web development taking place all over the world--where are the languages needed for this sort of international agency development needed?

On topic: protein folding was what I studied, back in the nineties...when I went back to junior college.

…”A HOBO Travels to work,
A tramp travels and won't work
A bum neither travels or works”
-=-=-=-=-=-
…hobotraveler (link <--it's a site by hobos, for hobos...it's very slow)…

Nomad Backpackers <--link
Richard_from_Cal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 01:11 AM   #5
country flag Snowwy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_from_Cal View Post
On topic: protein folding was what I studied, back in the nineties...when I went back to junior college.
You should help you then
Old 11-05-2007, 12:31 PM   #6
country flag Snowwy

Date of last work unit 2007-11-04 17:20:31
Active CPUs within 50 days 5
Team Id 83120
Grand Score 14921 (certificate)
Work Unit Count 57 (certificate)
Team Ranking (incl. aggregate) 13594 of 85982
Home Page http://www.myteam.com/

Team members
Rank
(within team) User Score WU
1 Snowwy 8048 30
2 Rtael 3908 15
3 Mr._C 1964 8
4 Yasmine 558 3
5 Kaiusa 443 1
Old 11-05-2007, 12:56 PM   #7
country flag Byrd

Byrd has a reputation beyond reputeByrd has a reputation beyond reputeByrd has a reputation beyond reputeByrd has a reputation beyond reputeByrd has a reputation beyond reputeByrd has a reputation beyond reputeByrd has a reputation beyond reputeByrd has a reputation beyond reputeByrd has a reputation beyond reputeByrd has a reputation beyond reputeByrd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alzheimer's and Parkinson's Research

I studied biology at school, and will be studying biological sciences at university next year, so I might be interested in this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arhaych View Post
Nadal is more conservative than Margaret Thatcher.
^^QFT

"I asked a bloke in the front row if he liked the serve-and-volley stuff," said Rafter. "He said he did but asked if he was going to get to see any rallies. 'Not today, mate,' I told him."-Pat Rafter silencing the Nadull fanboys
Byrd is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 04:43 PM   #8
country flag Maxine

Maxine has a reputation beyond reputeMaxine has a reputation beyond reputeMaxine has a reputation beyond reputeMaxine has a reputation beyond reputeMaxine has a reputation beyond reputeMaxine has a reputation beyond reputeMaxine has a reputation beyond reputeMaxine has a reputation beyond reputeMaxine has a reputation beyond reputeMaxine has a reputation beyond reputeMaxine has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting, thank you for the links.
Maxine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 04:26 AM   #9
country flag Snowwy

Tennis Fans United

Date of last work unit 2007-11-12 11:17:19
Active CPUs within 50 days 5
Team Id 83120
Grand Score 16422 (certificate)
Work Unit Count 62 (certificate)
Team Ranking (incl. aggregate) 13249 of 87070

Team members
Rank
1 Snowwy 8834 32
2 Rtael 4623 18
3 Mr._C 1964 8
4 Yasmine 558 3
5 Kaiusa 443 1
Old 11-19-2007, 08:32 PM   #10
country flag Snowwy

Tennis Fans United

Date of last work unit 2007-11-18 12:22:29
Active CPUs within 50 days 6
Team Id 83120
Grand Score 18993 (certificate)
Work Unit Count 74 (certificate)
Team Ranking (incl. aggregate) 12540 of 87831

Team members
Rank
1 Snowwy 9363 34
2 Rtael 4941 20
3 Mr._C 2307 9
4 Kaiusa 847 3
5 pierce_fanatic 791 4
6 Yasmine 744 4
Old 12-10-2007, 04:42 PM   #11
country flag Snowwy

Tennis Fans United

Date of last work unit 2007-12-09 22:34:48
Active CPUs within 50 days 7
Team Id 83120
Grand Score 26288 (certificate)
Work Unit Count 101 (certificate)
Team Ranking (incl. aggregate) 11133 of 90392

Team members
Rank