Tiriac wants Madrid to be 5th slam - Page 6 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-20-2007, 10:20 PM   #76
country flag pricdews

pricdews has a reputation beyond reputepricdews has a reputation beyond reputepricdews has a reputation beyond reputepricdews has a reputation beyond reputepricdews has a reputation beyond reputepricdews has a reputation beyond reputepricdews has a reputation beyond reputepricdews has a reputation beyond reputepricdews has a reputation beyond reputepricdews has a reputation beyond reputepricdews has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tiriac wants Madrid to be 5th slam

funny I'd take the American viewpoint, living in America? Sure it's not the only market, but I'd think it is an important market. A market that could do better (for all these starving tennis players making 15k for losing a match).

5 weeks off? That's part of my point. These regular ATP events are diluting the importance of the Masters level events. Outside of the majors, the schedule is overwhelming to the casual sports fans. Tiriac seems rather self-serving, but part of his claim is that Madrid can be bigger. To me that's an interesting idea worth discussing.
pricdews is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2007, 10:31 PM   #77
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond reputegoldenlox has a reputation beyond reputegoldenlox has a reputation beyond reputegoldenlox has a reputation beyond reputegoldenlox has a reputation beyond reputegoldenlox has a reputation beyond reputegoldenlox has a reputation beyond reputegoldenlox has a reputation beyond reputegoldenlox has a reputation beyond reputegoldenlox has a reputation beyond reputegoldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

There needs to be competition. Otherwise, the players are the ones getting ripped off.
I don't expect the public to just suddenly accept another major.
But new money and bigger events are the way to go. We have plenty of WTA only and ATP only events.
When companies know that Federer, Sharapova, Nadal, Williams, Roddick, Mirza, etc, are all going to be there, it's easier to sell it to sponsors, and the sponsors are then motivated to promote it.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:38 PM   #78
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricdews View Post
funny I'd take the American viewpoint, living in America? Sure it's not the only market, but I'd think it is an important market. A market that could do better (for all these starving tennis players making 15k for losing a match).

5 weeks off? That's part of my point. These regular ATP events are diluting the importance of the Masters level events. Outside of the majors, the schedule is overwhelming to the casual sports fans. Tiriac seems rather self-serving, but part of his claim is that Madrid can be bigger. To me that's an interesting idea worth discussing.
Here is the difference I am not from a major tennis nation and it's never going to be one. So I don't think lets just saturate the American market, where they have more than enough sports to choose from at the expense of the other places which don't have that su

The regular events aren't diluting the TMS events, why cause you can't watch them or something. That's an issue of TV rights.

Who gives a fuck about the bandwagon fans honestly? If people are interested enough in the product and aren't treated like idiots, then they will take a more positive step, if not, then they will go onto the next new fad.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 12:45 PM   #79
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by boughtmypoints View Post
The English only care about tennis during the run up to and during Wimbledon.

The French at least take an interest in grass roots and club tennis besides RG and their tour level events.

Guys, we're a tiny minority in the sports watching world, interested in tennis year round.

The crux of the problem is getting a larger number of people involved in the sport on a season long basis.

The current never ending season is a disaster. The "race" ... discredited.

The money does have to be more equitably spread for the game as a whole. Soccer could not and does not survive on 20 "Galacticos" making the big money and the supporting cast struggling to pay their coaches.

The $25,000 first round money is a good idea, but let's have 10 tournaments paying that kind of money to guarantee $250,000-$500,000 in annual prize money for any top 100 player.

And while we're at it, make the Davis Cup quadriennial ... or just bury it and the Olympics farce and introduce a tennis world cup. And get away from the current format where 1 outstanding player is all you need to win the Davis Cup!

Then you might capture the sporting world's imagination.
Very good points, but as you know tennis is never going to be the national sport in any country for a lot of reasons and the boom that happened in 70s and early 80s was a one off thing.

If they are actually serious, then they would need to get tennis out to a greater number of people, besides the Slams, this is something that has not been addressed.

As for Davis Cup, well this provides a lot of the revenue for tennis federations and who/what is going to cover that loss of revenue for them if it was played every 2 years and the cash they get to put in programs for players or junior tournaments. Sponsors won't stick around, unless they get something in return.

DC can be reduced to 14 teams with giving the previous finalists a bye into the 2nd round and then instead of the first round losers, it would be them and the quarter finalists that will play promotion/relegation playoffs to make it more equitable.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 03-12-2008, 05:45 AM   #80
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Wonder what the latest crap that Tiriac will come up. He was the guy that supported Round Robin for 40 years.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 07-29-2012, 11:44 PM   #81
country flag Jimnik

Jimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond repute

Tiriac is a pile of poo.
Jimnik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:14 AM   #82
country flag Freak3yman84

Freak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimnik View Post
Tiriac is a pile of poo.
Nice way to bump!

Number of Times I've Cried Over Sucking at FITD: All but four

W Samarkand Singles W Charlottesville W Lermontov W ATP Bastad W Bol Fut (w/MathMul) W Cordenons (w/dinkulpus)

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Sweet Cleopatra View Post
I like how you make me appreciate my life by comparing it to yours then I take a deep breath and say: Thank God..
Freak3yman84 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:35 AM   #83
country flag finishingmove

finishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond reputefinishingmove has a reputation beyond repute

I like this idea. No, I love it.

It would have to be played in November and indoors though.
Spending time with your children and not being a wage slave at some soulless corporation or government bureaucracy sounds like hell. Haven't we progressed beyond the idea that it is in loving relationships with other people that we find fulfillment and meaning? Climbing the corporate ladder is essential in the pursuit of happiness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Oracle View Post
Match Point Novak needs to be immortalized in sculpture, like Michelangelo's David. I'm sure that once he's gone to tennis Valhalla, his statue will have his stones as the focal point of attention, and tennis fans will make a meccan-like pilgrimage at least once in their lifetime, in order to rub those lucky stones, like the budda's belly.
finishingmove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:55 AM   #84
country flag BroTree123

BroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond reputeBroTree123 has a reputation beyond repute

The Godfather knows what he's doing.
No words can describe me.
Without me, it would be just aweso.
No shit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTwEeZi View Post
Never held a racquet in my life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTwEeZi View Post
I've played the game for close to 10 years. This should come as no surprise to many.

Banned Users
BroTree123 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:00 AM   #85
country flag Honestly

Honestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond repute

MAdrid is the 5th slam after the GOAT won it.