Tiriac wants Madrid to be 5th slam - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-20-2007, 07:07 AM   #61
country flag CmonAussie

CmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tiriac wants Madrid to be 5th slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricdews View Post
While noone should take messing with tradition lightly, the current composition of top players makes me wonder why Australia has a major while Spain and Russia don't.

I think the answer is more in elevating the status of the Masters Series than diluting the majors. Changing the name of the Masters events every few years isn't helping. Tradition counts (look at other sports).

I'd suggest spacing out the major events more carefully. Create a bigger separation from the top Masters events and all below (calling them 1000 and 500 is a move in the wrong direction).

I don't know enough about the Masters events to say which should be promoted more than others, but is seems like having a steady 1 major event per month from January to November would help broaden tennis's appeal past just the majors (to which the mainstream US media restricts coverage).

The tour seems to be doing a good job in concentrating the top players in the top events. The next step is building tradition. Something that hasn't been done outside the majors.

So your solution would be to have 12 Slams
I don`t think having a major every month is the way to go
The Masters Series have enough weighting~~ if you win two Masters Series it`s equal to one Slam, if you continued to bump up the Masters Series then the slams lose some of their importance & fans/players would be confused

Your solutions sounds to me like the Grand Prix F1 model, which certainly wouldn`t work for tennis, though Tiriac may appreciate your views
CmonAussie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2007, 09:40 AM   #62
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
The players need new revenue streams. They are being totally ripped off by the ITF.
The USTA makes tens and tens of millions in profit. They sell wordwide tv rights. They sell day and night, day and night admissions. Parking, concessions. Signage. USO sponsors. Plus all the other ways they create a huge profit.

And half the draw gets $15,000. And another quarter gets $25,000. That's nothing compared to the huge profits being made by this cash cow monopoly.

The players are robbed. Most of the tour is broke. The ITF are criminals. They need competiton.

There are wealthy companies, businessmen, and countries, that want to pay for the right to hold huge events.

The players are doing the work. They're the ones with the talent. They deserve a big piece of the money that is generated by their sport.
Is that you Mr Disney?

Considering the ATP shits on the players and as a union works against them and for tournament directors and it's not hard to find evidence of this happening. Do players deserve more cash, well yes, but the ATP doesn't work for them.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1

Last edited by Action Jackson : 10-20-2007 at 09:48 AM.
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 12:00 PM   #63
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond reputegoldenlox has a reputation beyond reputegoldenlox has a reputation beyond reputegoldenlox has a reputation beyond reputegoldenlox has a reputation beyond reputegoldenlox has a reputation beyond reputegoldenlox has a reputation beyond reputegoldenlox has a reputation beyond reputegoldenlox has a reputation beyond reputegoldenlox has a reputation beyond reputegoldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

The ATP and WTA are not doing as much as they should for players outside the top 20.
But I don't see how anyone can look at what the ITF does and not think they are crooks.

TA has spent the last few years trying to keep Doha from having a Tier I before the AO.
Those Aussie tournaments -nothing in prizemoney. Nothing. Sydney draws 18 of the top 20 women and pays Tier II money. All the players get ripped off in those situations.

Creating 2 more 2 week events to go with IW and Miami is a start.
The ATP and the WTA has to do much more. And raising prizemoney to slam levels, which is very small money compared to what the ITF takes in, is a start for the ATP and WTA.

The rank and file have no voice, They have no money, and they aren't draws. But they are 95% of the tour.
They need wages where they can exist.
Old 10-20-2007, 12:21 PM   #64
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The ATP and WTA are not doing as much as they should for players outside the top 20.
But I don't see how anyone can look at what the ITF does and not think they are crooks.

TA has spent the last few years trying to keep Doha from having a Tier I before the AO.
Those Aussie tournaments -nothing in prizemoney. Nothing. Sydney draws 18 of the top 20 women and pays Tier II money. All the players get ripped off in those situations.

Creating 2 more 2 week events to go with IW and Miami is a start.
The ATP and the WTA has to do much more. And raising prizemoney to slam levels, which is very small money compared to what the ITF takes in, is a start for the ATP and WTA.

The rank and file have no voice, They have no money, and they aren't draws. But they are 95% of the tour.
They need wages where they can exist.
What about the Aussie events they serve their purpose as lead up events to the Aussie Open, because that is all that they are in reality.

The USTA is actually a non-profit organisation albeit one with plenty of money.

Raising the prizemoney level to the Slams, that is a joke. There needs to be a differential and the Slams are the most important events and yes Dubai could pay 50 million to the winner, but it will still mean shit compared to GS events.

The ATP/WTA need to look after their own tour and leave the ITF to run the Slams Davis and Fed Cups.

The ATP don't care about their players and this is not a recent thing.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 10-20-2007, 01:02 PM   #65
country flag Julio
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

Julio has a reputation beyond reputeJulio has a reputation beyond reputeJulio has a reputation beyond reputeJulio has a reputation beyond reputeJulio has a reputation beyond reputeJulio has a reputation beyond reputeJulio has a reputation beyond reputeJulio has a reputation beyond reputeJulio has a reputation beyond reputeJulio has a reputation beyond reputeJulio has a reputation beyond repute

I love Madrid but Tiriac should stop cannabis. Four Slams is good enough.
My only wish in Atp Tour is to see The Artois Championships becomes the first (and only) Masters Series Event on grass.
Julio is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 01:08 PM   #66
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond reputegoldenlox has a reputation beyond reputegoldenlox has a reputation beyond reputegoldenlox has a reputation beyond reputegoldenlox has a reputation beyond reputegoldenlox has a reputation beyond reputegoldenlox has a reputation beyond reputegoldenlox has a reputation beyond reputegoldenlox has a reputation beyond reputegoldenlox has a reputation beyond reputegoldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

The ATP and WTA have to be involved with the ITF. The USTA was threatening to start their own tour if the WTA changed the pre-USO schedule too much.

They have to be involved with these ITF idiots, and they have to increase prizemoney.
I don't mean for the winner.
IW and Miami should be 128, not 96.
And the 64 who go out in round 1 should get at least $25,000.
The winners make enough. The early round prizemoney has to go way, way up.
Old 10-20-2007, 01:11 PM   #67
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The ATP and WTA have to be involved with the ITF.
Heaven Forbid. Even more influence on the game to Mr. Disney and his comrades, as if he isn't doing enough damage to the tour already.

Not ALL in life is about the money. The GS are the most prestigious tournaments in tennis, and may it remain that way, please.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 01:16 PM   #68
country flag goldenlox

If you are ranked about 50, or 70, or 120, or 150, then it IS all about money.
The ITF could triple slam prizemoney, and they still would be making a fortune.
THe WTA roadmap is going to raise WTA prizemoney 30%. That's still very little. Just the beginning.
Old 10-20-2007, 01:55 PM   #69
country flag Forehander

Forehander has a reputation beyond reputeForehander has a reputation beyond reputeForehander has a reputation beyond reputeForehander has a reputation beyond reputeForehander has a reputation beyond reputeForehander has a reputation beyond reputeForehander has a reputation beyond reputeForehander has a reputation beyond reputeForehander has a reputation beyond reputeForehander has a reputation beyond reputeForehander has a reputation beyond repute

lol you guys will be surprised
Old 10-20-2007, 06:40 PM   #70
country flag pricdews

pricdews has a reputation beyond reputepricdews has a reputation beyond reputepricdews has a reputation beyond reputepricdews has a reputation beyond reputepricdews has a reputation beyond reputepricdews has a reputation beyond reputepricdews has a reputation beyond reputepricdews has a reputation beyond reputepricdews has a reputation beyond reputepricdews has a reputation beyond reputepricdews has a reputation beyond repute

Reading comprehension? I didn't suggest doing away with the AO. I just think it's a real question that the players are passing up money in the Spanish tennis market by not having a major there. Not that there's an easy solution. Just that it's a subject that ought to be open for disussion. As I said, tradition is important. I wouldn't make changes lightly.

I didn't say have 12 majors. Just that the US market barely notices the AO, so the whole tennis season for some is from June to September. Barely over 3 months. I think the US market likes tennis enough to expand on that. Elevating the Masters Series and distinguishing them more, not less from other ATP events may be a way to spread out the calendar. Majors will still be majors. Should there be 4 for eternity? Maybe, but let's not forget the open era only started a couple generations ago and the AO used to be skipped over by many top players until the 80s.

I don't care if the 4 majors forever stand far above everything else. I'd just like to see a little more tennis year round that gets decent coverage. Tennis that I'm sure the players are 100% committed to winning (didn't see that in Cincy). I think they're blowing that opportunity with the Mercedes Super 9 Masters Series 1000 events doing little to build tradition themselves.
pricdews is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 07:15 PM   #71
country flag Bilbo

Bilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond repute

Tiriac is sucking fat ones
Bilbo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 08:06 PM   #72
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
I'd just like to see a little more tennis year round that gets decent coverage. Tennis that I'm sure the players are 100% committed to winning (didn't see that in Cincy). I think they're blowing that opportunity with the Mercedes Super 9 Masters Series 1000 events doing little to build tradition themselves.
Oh yeah there is only 5 weeks off season, yes there really needs to be more tennis.

Quote:
Just that the US market barely notices the AO, so the whole tennis season for some is from June to September. Barely over 3 months. I think the US market likes tennis enough to expand on that.
US is the only tennis market in the world.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 10-20-2007, 09:01 PM   #73
country flag CmonAussie

CmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Reading comprehension? I didn't suggest doing away with the AO. I just think it's a real question that the players are passing up money in the Spanish tennis market by not having a major there. Not that there's an easy solution. Just that it's a subject that ought to be open for disussion. As I said, tradition is important. I wouldn't make changes lightly.

I didn't say have 12 majors. Just that the US market barely notices the AO, so the whole tennis season for some is from June to September. Barely over 3 months. I think the US market likes tennis enough to expand on that. Elevating the Masters Series and distinguishing them more, not less from other ATP events may be a way to spread out the calendar. Majors will still be majors. Should there be 4 for eternity? Maybe, but let's not forget the open era only started a couple generations ago and the AO used to be skipped over by many top players until the 80s.

I don't care if the 4 majors forever stand far above everything else. I'd just like to see a little more tennis year round that gets decent coverage. Tennis that I'm sure the players are 100% committed to winning (didn't see that in Cincy). I think they're blowing that opportunity with the Mercedes Super 9 Masters Series 1000 events doing little to build tradition themselves.

Basically you`re taking the America-centric viewpoint
>>well you probably won`t get any more tennis coverage on American TVs until the next Sampras or Agassi comes along, so you`ll be waiting a long time
**also it seems Nascar, football (Yankie style) & basketball are so entrenched as the leaders in US sport that a tennis popularity renaissance is unlikely!!

anyway it doesn`t matter so much because tennis is huge in Europe, Asia, Australia & parts of South America
CmonAussie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 09:09 PM   #74
country flag Jimnik

Jimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond repute

I want Queens to be the 5th slam but it aint gonna happen.
Jimnik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 09:18 PM   #75
country flag boughtmypoints

boughtmypoints has a reputation beyond reputeboughtmypoints has a reputation beyond reputeboughtmypoints has a reputation beyond reputeboughtmypoints has a reputation beyond reputeboughtmypoints has a reputation beyond reputeboughtmypoints has a reputation beyond reputeboughtmypoints has a reputation beyond reputeboughtmypoints has a reputation beyond reputeboughtmypoints has a reputation beyond reputeboughtmypoints has a reputation beyond reputeboughtmypoints has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
... Just that the US market barely notices the AO, so the whole tennis season for some is from June to September. Barely over 3 months.
The English only care about tennis during the run up to and during Wimbledon.

The French at least take an interest in grass roots and club tennis besides RG and their tour level events.

Guys, we're a tiny minority in the sports watching world, interested in tennis year round.

The crux of the problem is getting a larger number of people involved in the sport on a season long basis.

The current never ending season is a disaster. The "race" ... discredited.

The money does have to be more equitably spread for the game as a whole. Soccer could not and does not survive on 20 "Galacticos" making the big money and the supporting cast struggling to pay their coaches.

The $25,000 first round money is a good idea, but let's have 10 tournaments paying that kind of money to guarantee $250,000-$500,000 in annual prize money for any top 100 player.

And while we're at it, make the Davis Cup quadriennial ... or just bury it and the Olympics farce and introduce a tennis world cup. And get away from the current format where 1 outstanding player is all you need to win the Davis Cup!

Then you might capture the sporting world's imagination.
boughtmypoints is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote