Tiriac wants Madrid to be 5th slam - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-19-2007, 03:18 AM   #46
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tiriac wants Madrid to be 5th slam

Tiriac, this is the clown who said he was ready for Round Robin for 40 years, invents words in languages. Too bad his planned 15 million dollar house in Kitz didn't get approval, then again he can always make sure his mafia cash is going to a good cause.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2007, 09:11 AM   #47
country flag garad

garad has a reputation beyond reputegarad has a reputation beyond reputegarad has a reputation beyond reputegarad has a reputation beyond reputegarad has a reputation beyond reputegarad has a reputation beyond reputegarad has a reputation beyond reputegarad has a reputation beyond reputegarad has a reputation beyond reputegarad has a reputation beyond reputegarad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirkaland View Post
http://www.bangkokpost.com/sportsplu....php?id=122711
Entrepreneur wants to turn Madrid into fifth tennis Grand Slam
By Sebastian Fest

Madrid (dpa) - It was only last month that Ion Tiriac found out Madrid will host a tournament with the best male and female tennis players in the world in 2009.

However, the Romanian is the most powerful businessman in world tennis, and he already has another goal, a gigantic plan: He wants to create a fifth Grand Slam in the Spanish capital.

"I see for the future, with all due respect for Grand Slams, that you have to have the chance to compete. In prizes, in quality, in infrastructure... In everything," Tiriac told Deutsche Presse-Agentur dpa in an interview in Madrid.

The plan is revolutionary. For as long as tennis has been tennis there have been four Grand Slam tournaments, and they are played in London, Paris, New York and Melbourne.

Nobody ever thought it possible to add another city to that list, nobody ever wanted to create tournaments that gave out as much money and points as those four greats.

But that is precisely Tiriac's idea. He thinks sport is different, he thinks the world has changed and you have to change the parametres.

He talks and talks, and praises himself: "In five years I turned Madrid into one of the greatest social events there is in Europe."

Sick of the rain at Wimbledon, Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone - Tiriac recalls - once asked him whether it would be possible to pay organizers 50 million pounds (102 million dollars) to take over control and manage the traditional tournament a different way.

At that time, Wimbledon did not even dream of the roof its centre court is set to have from 2009.

To argue why Madrid could host a Grand Slam, the Romanian, 68, lists three points. The first is that tennis should allow free competition.

"What I am still not satisfied about is the fact that they do not let tournaments compete. I want to compete. Tomorrow I go and ask how much are prizes at Roland Garros. Fifteen million? I go and put down 15 million, but I want to be at the points level of Roland Garros, not at the level of a '1,000.' Let me compete! But the Grand Slams will not let me compete. And neither will the ATP."

The second point of this former tennis player, former coach, former manager, former Romanian Olympic Committee chairman, businessman and banker is that Grand Slam tournaments have reached their limits.

"Unfortunately I don't think that (French President Nicolas)Sarkozy is going to let them build in the Bois de Boulogne to expand, because they already took a lot from the woods. And also they no longer have the (Olympic) Games, that the English took," Tiriac describes the challenges for Roland Garros.

London too faces obstacles.

"You cannot allow that, when you have 200 countries watching on television, the explanation is 'this is London when it rains.' Sport is no longer what is was, it is different from 20 years ago."

And Madrid is the city that according to Tiriac, incarnates more than any other this "new sport," the city that can go beyond the limits of Paris and London. The Magic Box, the fantastic tennis complex that French architect Dominique Perrault designed in the Spanish capital, is his third point.

"Madrid has a very great future, and it is going to have facilities like no other tournament. There is no other which can close three courts in five minutes and keep playing despite the rain," Tiriac stresses.

He notes he has ruled out the Asian option that he contemplated a couple of years ago.

"I do not need to move Madrid. It is likely that in Shanghai I could have made money, a lot of it. But I am lucky enough not to be about to starve to death," he says.

Tiriac is an idiot, exactly the type of bankers that turn sport into the money making, celebrity mongering machine.
It's not about competition, its about tradition and slams are the epitome of tennis.
garad is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 09:21 AM   #48
country flag HNCS

HNCS has a reputation beyond reputeHNCS has a reputation beyond reputeHNCS has a reputation beyond reputeHNCS has a reputation beyond reputeHNCS has a reputation beyond reputeHNCS has a reputation beyond reputeHNCS has a reputation beyond reputeHNCS has a reputation beyond reputeHNCS has a reputation beyond reputeHNCS has a reputation beyond reputeHNCS has a reputation beyond repute

tennis needs a tennis loving business man to organise everything. but not a money making maniac. sir, please lay off our beloved sport.

Richard Gasquet,David Nalbandian, James Blake,Marcos Baghdatis,Fabrice Santoro,Jonas Bjorkman,Mario Ancic,Mikhail Youzhny,Fernado Verdasco
HNCS is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 11:17 AM   #49
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond reputegoldenlox has a reputation beyond reputegoldenlox has a reputation beyond reputegoldenlox has a reputation beyond reputegoldenlox has a reputation beyond reputegoldenlox has a reputation beyond reputegoldenlox has a reputation beyond reputegoldenlox has a reputation beyond reputegoldenlox has a reputation beyond reputegoldenlox has a reputation beyond reputegoldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Tiriac's been in the sport a long time. The guys who run the ITF are crooks.
The USTA makes a fortune at the USO.
They pay half the draw $15,000.
That is criminal. It's an insult to the players, and it should be an insult to the fans too.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:28 AM   #50
country flag boughtmypoints

boughtmypoints has a reputation beyond reputeboughtmypoints has a reputation beyond reputeboughtmypoints has a reputation beyond reputeboughtmypoints has a reputation beyond reputeboughtmypoints has a reputation beyond reputeboughtmypoints has a reputation beyond reputeboughtmypoints has a reputation beyond reputeboughtmypoints has a reputation beyond reputeboughtmypoints has a reputation beyond reputeboughtmypoints has a reputation beyond reputeboughtmypoints has a reputation beyond repute

Tiriac is a self serving so and so. Agreed?

Yet his ideas do have merit ...

But let's clear up some confusion here.

The 4 Grand Slams are hosted by individual national associations/federations.

The ATP tournaments are generally the playthings of guys like Tiriac.

Owing to the entrenched position of the Slams, as represented by the ITF, the Tour Events now in the guise of the ATP
have never been able to compete in the broader marketplace and present a coherent strategy. They'd love to have a Formula 1 type circuit but the Slams muddy the picture. The public will always see tour events as second best to the Slams.

All that said, there is NOTHING stopping the individual national associations/federations from coming up with the cash to elevate their "open" tournaments to Grand Slam status. So long as you are a member association of the ITF,
you can run the gambit of building the facilities, coming up with the money and asking the ITF to make room on THEIR calendar for your new slam.

The only problem will be having enough players show up.

In microcosm, this was the problem that the Aussie Open used to have. Other than its 2 weeks on the calendar, there was little to distinguish it as a tournament and the fields were weak.

The tournament directors keep hoping against hope that they will come up with a product that they can sell for elephant dollars to television as the Slams successfully do. If the ATP capitulate to the ITF and let the ITF create a new calendar with more slams, the ATP boys are out of a job, plain and simple. So we're left with the Ion Tiriacs and the Charlie Pasarells trying every trick they know of to create "new" slams and they are doomed to failure, as they are unable to distinguish in the public's mind uppity tournaments like Indian Wells and Madrid from the also ran ATP tournaments.

The only scenario that would work would be if the players dropped their traditional animosity towards the national federations and parted company with the tournament director side of the ATP and aligned themselves with the ITF.

To do so would take a charismatic ITF leader, a boatload of guaranteed money, a players' bill of rights, the end of tennis autocracy. Fat chance.
boughtmypoints is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 11:37 AM   #51
country flag chris whiteside

chris whiteside has a reputation beyond reputechris whiteside has a reputation beyond reputechris whiteside has a reputation beyond reputechris whiteside has a reputation beyond reputechris whiteside has a reputation beyond reputechris whiteside has a reputation beyond reputechris whiteside has a reputation beyond reputechris whiteside has a reputation beyond reputechris whiteside has a reputation beyond reputechris whiteside has a reputation beyond reputechris whiteside has a reputation beyond repute

A complete non-starter unworthy of consideration.
chris whiteside is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 03:04 PM   #52
country flag jonny84

jonny84 has a reputation beyond reputejonny84 has a reputation beyond reputejonny84 has a reputation beyond reputejonny84 has a reputation beyond reputejonny84 has a reputation beyond reputejonny84 has a reputation beyond reputejonny84 has a reputation beyond reputejonny84 has a reputation beyond reputejonny84 has a reputation beyond reputejonny84 has a reputation beyond reputejonny84 has a reputation beyond repute

Keep it to the four slams, because otherwise it will lessen the prestige of the other tournaments.

It is a good idea to have the big joined-up WTA/ATP events like Indian Wells and Miami, and then Madrid and Beijing to come in 2009, but we dont need a fifth major.
jonny84 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 10:54 PM   #53
country flag CmonAussie

CmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny84 View Post
Keep it to the four slams, because otherwise it will lessen the prestige of the other tournaments.

It is a good idea to have the big joined-up WTA/ATP events like Indian Wells and Miami, and then Madrid and Beijing to come in 2009, but we dont need a fifth major.

exactly ~~ 4 is the magic number, 4 slams is just right- any more & it would lessen their relative worth, any less & there wouldn`t be enough highlights>>> keep 4

if other events like Madrid want to have bigger draws, become mixed ATP/WTA, & strenghen their Masters Series status, then that`s good for the sport too
CmonAussie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 11:24 PM   #54
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond reputegoldenlox has a reputation beyond reputegoldenlox has a reputation beyond reputegoldenlox has a reputation beyond reputegoldenlox has a reputation beyond reputegoldenlox has a reputation beyond reputegoldenlox has a reputation beyond reputegoldenlox has a reputation beyond reputegoldenlox has a reputation beyond reputegoldenlox has a reputation beyond reputegoldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

The players need new revenue streams. They are being totally ripped off by the ITF.
The USTA makes tens and tens of millions in profit. They sell wordwide tv rights. They sell day and night, day and night admissions. Parking, concessions. Signage. USO sponsors. Plus all the other ways they create a huge profit.

And half the draw gets $15,000. And another quarter gets $25,000. That's nothing compared to the huge profits being made by this cash cow monopoly.

The players are robbed. Most of the tour is broke. The ITF are criminals. They need competiton.

There are wealthy companies, businessmen, and countries, that want to pay for the right to hold huge events.

The players are doing the work. They're the ones with the talent. They deserve a big piece of the money that is generated by their sport.
Old 10-20-2007, 12:20 AM   #55
country flag Merton

Merton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond repute

Big press picks up the story, knowing Tiriac he could have orchestrated the whole thing. If that is correct, expect a comment from Mr. Disney coming soon. Here is the article: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/...58&name=tennis

Does tennis need a fifth major?by: Peter Bodo, TENNIS.com
posted: Friday, October 19, 2007 | Feedback | Print Entry
filed under: Tennis

Does tennis need another Grand Slam? And should the monopoly on majors, held by the International Tennis Federation affiliates in Australia, France, England and the U.S., be broken down, with the right to stage the most important tennis events awarded on the basis of financial bids or determined on a more market-driven basis?

The very question is bound to make fans of the game as we know it turn pale. But that's exactly what Ion Tiriac, the former player and entrepreneur behind the Madrid Masters and the pending 2009 combined spring clay-court event (also in Madrid) is suggesting. And he is already trying to promote his Madrid combined event as the de facto fifth Grand Slam.

The really scary part is that even if the idea repels (I find my stomach churning just thinking about it), Tiriac makes an interesting and strong case for doing just that. Does he have an ulterior motive? You bet! So what?

Tiriac, you may remember, is the former Romanian Olympic hockey player who took up tennis late in life and, with one of the ugliest games ever seen, made a living on the pro tour with his competitive guile, mental toughness and a hearty willingness to engage in gamesmanship (or, as many charged, outright cheating). Underestimate this man at your own peril.

In an interview with the Deutsche Presse Agentur, Tiriac recently predicted that in the future, there likely will be competition to stage the most important events because of the way the geopolitics of the game has changed. He suggested that the Grand Slams have reached their limit as far as infrastructure goes, and now maintain their preeminence only through monopolistic practices.

"What I am still not satisfied about is the fact that they do not let tournaments compete. I want to compete. Tomorrow I'll go and ask how much are prizes at Roland Garros. Fifteen million? I go and put down 15 million, but I want to be at the [rankings] points level of Roland Garros, not at the level of a '1,000' [a sub-Slam event]. Let me compete! But the Grand Slams will not let me compete. And neither will the ATP."

The problem, of course, is that the Grand Slams, which evolved out of the national championships of the leading tennis nations, are like NFL franchises. You can't buy or start one just because you have the dough and are willing to risk it.

Nevertheless, it isn't surprising that the ongoing, obvious shifts in the world tennis order would create a certain amount of upheaval. And you could very easily read Tiriac's comments as the potential first shot fired across the bow of the establishment in the continuation of the tennis wars that have always plagued the sport.

From Isaac Asimov's "Foundation".
Merton is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 01:25 AM   #56
country flag scoobs
Anastasia Komananov, KGB

scoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond repute

The man made a career of being an outsider and anti-establishment - it's no wonder he now wishes to use his wealth to attack the establishments he still despises.

Not because he despises establishment, more because he wants to be the one calling the shots in them.

I hope they shit on him from a dizzy height.
scoobs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 01:52 AM   #57
country flag goldenlox

This establishment deserves to be shat on. They need real competition. The players desperately need people who are willing to pay them, because the powers in control want to keep all the players, save a few dozen, broke.
Old 10-20-2007, 01:59 AM   #58
country flag Merton

Merton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
The players need new revenue streams. They are being totally ripped off by the ITF.
The USTA makes tens and tens of millions in profit. They sell wordwide tv rights. They sell day and night, day and night admissions. Parking, concessions. Signage. USO sponsors. Plus all the other ways they create a huge profit.

And half the draw gets $15,000. And another quarter gets $25,000. That's nothing compared to the huge profits being made by this cash cow monopoly.

The players are robbed. Most of the tour is broke. The ITF are criminals. They need competiton.

There are wealthy companies, businessmen, and countries, that want to pay for the right to hold huge events.

The players are doing the work. They're the ones with the talent. They deserve a big piece of the money that is generated by their sport.
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
This establishment deserves to be shat on. They need real competition. The players desperately need people who are willing to pay them, because the powers in control want to keep all the players, save a few dozen, broke.
It is not obvious to me why participating in a union with tournament directors (ATP) is more beneficial for the players than having a union of their own. Especially at this point, it seems that the ATP tilts more in favour of the tournament directors. Still, the fact that the players do not get a good part of the pie from the slams today does not imply that they would get a better part if the tour directors had more control versus the ITF.

From Isaac Asimov's "Foundation".
Merton is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 05:32 AM   #59
country flag pricdews

pricdews has a reputation beyond reputepricdews has a reputation beyond reputepricdews has a reputation beyond reputepricdews has a reputation beyond reputepricdews has a reputation beyond reputepricdews has a reputation beyond reputepricdews has a reputation beyond reputepricdews has a reputation beyond reputepricdews has a reputation beyond reputepricdews has a reputation beyond reputepricdews has a reputation beyond repute

While noone should take messing with tradition lightly, the current composition of top players makes me wonder why Australia has a major while Spain and Russia don't.

I think the answer is more in elevating the status of the Masters Series than diluting the majors. Changing the name of the Masters events every few years isn't helping. Tradition counts (look at other sports).

I'd suggest spacing out the major events more carefully. Create a bigger separation from the top Masters events and all below (calling them 1000 and 500 is a move in the wrong direction).

I don't know enough about the Masters events to say which should be promoted more than others, but is seems like having a steady 1 major event per month from January to November would help broaden tennis's appeal past just the majors (to which the mainstream US media restricts coverage).

The tour seems to be doing a good job in concentrating the top players in the top events. The next step is building tradition. Something that hasn't been done outside the majors.
pricdews is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 07:02 AM   #60
country flag CmonAussie

CmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricdews View Post
While noone should take messing with tradition lightly, the current composition of top players makes me wonder why Australia has a major while Spain and Russia don't.

I think the answer is more in elevating the status of the Masters Series than diluting the majors. Changing the name of the Masters events every few years isn't helping. Tradition counts (look at other sports).

I'd suggest spacing out the major events more carefully. Create a bigger separation from the top Masters events and all below (calling them 1000 and 500 is a move in the wrong direction).

I don't know enough about the Masters events to say which should be promoted more than others, but is seems like having a steady 1 major event per month from January to November would help broaden tennis's appeal past just the majors (to which the mainstream US media restricts coverage).

The tour seems to be doing a good job in concentrating the top players in the top events. The next step is building tradition. Something that hasn't been done outside the majors.

So AO`s standing as a slam should be demoted because currently we have less top players than Spain or Russia
yeah that makes a lot of sense

~~so lets make Wimbledon a regular ATP event & turn Basel [Swiss] into a slam
**I mean the World`s #1 player is from Switzerland, so it`s the only sensible thing to do

get a sense of perspective & history mate
CmonAussie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote