Tiriac wants Madrid to be 5th slam - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-18-2007, 08:49 PM   #31
country flag CmonAussie

CmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tiriac wants Madrid to be 5th slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeronimo View Post
Lets say that the ATP and WTA is agree with a 5th grand slam.. IT WONT BE IN MADRID! Why?

europe 2 grand slams
north america 1 grand slam
oceania 1 grand slam..

then why not Johannesbourg (SOUTH AFRICA) or RIO DE JANEIRO (BRAZIL) Maybe TOKYO (JAPAN)..other continents deserve the spot more than Europe... since they already have 2

you`re talking too much sense jerenoimo
yes in an ideal world both Asia & Sth America would have slams & Africa would atleast have a couple of ATP events, but it`s unlikely to happen

###
atleast tennis is much more international than golf
~~in golf you`ve got 3/4 majors in America
~~the next 6 biggest events are also in America!
*therefore America has 9/10 biggest golf tourneys [the British Open being the exception]!

>>i like the fact that tennis authorities have atleast cooperated to the point of making the big events spread internationally: slams in 3-continents, masters series in 3, ATP tourneys in 6 continents
CmonAussie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2007, 09:55 PM   #32
country flag cmurray

cmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoes View Post

The scary thing is that money talks.........let's hope that idiot Mr. Disney doesn't jump on this train. And before anyone considers it a crazy notion to assume Mr. Disney would give this any thought, consider his standards thus far: Round Robin, Restructuring the tournaments point system....
Fortunately, DeVilliers has nothing to do with grandslams - that's the ITF's domain - and hopefully they aren't as susceptible to the almighty $$.
cmurray is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:02 PM   #33
country flag scoobs
Anastasia Komananov, KGB

scoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurray View Post
Fortunately, DeVilliers has nothing to do with grandslams - that's the ITF's domain - and hopefully they aren't as susceptible to the almighty $$.
I don't think there's a chance in hell that the ITF or the Grand Slams themselves would do more than look down at this suggestion for the grubby, greedy piece of shit that it is.

The Grand Slams are in rude health - attendances at all continue to improve, coverage continues to improve, and all are laying out money to enhance their facilities to cater for the fans, for the players and for the elements.

They have awesome tradition behind them that makes them truly special events, and each has its own unique feel that makes it even better.

Tiriac wants it to be like F1 where all the cities fight to host the event year in, year out and those who don't offer enough don't get on the schedule - but fuck that.
scoobs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:05 PM   #34
country flag trixtah

trixtah has a reputation beyond reputetrixtah has a reputation beyond reputetrixtah has a reputation beyond reputetrixtah has a reputation beyond reputetrixtah has a reputation beyond reputetrixtah has a reputation beyond reputetrixtah has a reputation beyond reputetrixtah has a reputation beyond reputetrixtah has a reputation beyond reputetrixtah has a reputation beyond reputetrixtah has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoes View Post

The scary thing is that money talks.........let's hope that idiot Mr. Disney doesn't jump on this train. And before anyone considers it a crazy notion to assume Mr. Disney would give this any thought, consider his standards thus far: Round Robin, Restructuring the tournaments point system....
Disney knows his days are numbered. Don't be surprised if he buys into the idea
trixtah is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:09 PM   #35
country flag Stensland

Stensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond repute

i don't get why tiriac wants madrid so badly. he's a businessman, right? so why doesn't he go for the big bucks in asia or somewhere else in emerging markets? europe's a saturated market, so is america. if you're in it for the cash, all eyes must be on india/china/korea and that lot with a slight chance of taking brazil into consideration. why madrid? it won't grow by a large margin, everyone knows that. miami won't grow the way the asian tourneys are either. indian wells won't, rome won't etc.

if tiriac wants to make money, go east. FAR east, that is.
Stensland is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:09 PM   #36
country flag cmurray

cmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobsuk View Post
I don't think there's a chance in hell that the ITF or the Grand Slams themselves would do more than look down at this suggestion for the grubby, greedy piece of shit that it is.

The Grand Slams are in rude health - attendances at all continue to improve, coverage continues to improve, and all are laying out money to enhance their facilities to cater for the fans, for the players and for the elements.

They have awesome tradition behind them that makes them truly special events, and each has its own unique feel that makes it even better.

Tiriac wants it to be like F1 where all the cities fight to host the event year in, year out and those who don't offer enough don't get on the schedule - but fuck that.
I don't think so either, fortunately. As steeped in tradition as the GS tournaments are, the ITF have become a bit snooty. Thank God. No way are they going to risk the prestige of the 4 GS by adding another just because somebody waved a bunch of money at them.
cmurray is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:22 PM   #37
country flag Merton

Merton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond repute

That does not pass the laugh test, it is strange to see a proponent of competition being somebody who benefited from the fact that Madrid built the tennis infrustructure as part of their Olympic bid. The Madrid organizers have made the investment, Tiriac will gain on the upside. If things don't work out, well, he will just move to another city as he did when he moved from Stuttgart to Madrid.

From Isaac Asimov's "Foundation".
Merton is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:25 PM   #38
country flag leng jai

leng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond repute

I'm all for the idea of 5 slams as long as the new slam is Kooyong.

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:27 PM   #39
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond reputegoldenlox has a reputation beyond reputegoldenlox has a reputation beyond reputegoldenlox has a reputation beyond reputegoldenlox has a reputation beyond reputegoldenlox has a reputation beyond reputegoldenlox has a reputation beyond reputegoldenlox has a reputation beyond reputegoldenlox has a reputation beyond reputegoldenlox has a reputation beyond reputegoldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

The ITF is run by crooks. They pay a very small percentage of their profits in prizemoney.
It's about time some promoter decided to pay the players what the majors pay, and more than that.
If they produce the money, then the tournament should give slam points to the players.

And screw ITF tradition. It's all shamateurism. Pancho Gonzales was probably the best player in the world for years and years and wasn't allowed to play a major from about 1950-67.
Others like Emerson got under the table money to play in weakened fields.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:33 PM   #40
country flag Merton

Merton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond repute

I do not disagree in principle that the slam locations should not be in stone but reputation is important and I doubt that the sport can endure flight by night operators running tournaments when times are good and running away when times get bad. Tennis is not Formula 1, it is not a given that there will always be demand to host a slam if some organizer goes bust.

From Isaac Asimov's "Foundation".
Merton is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:39 PM   #41
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond reputegoldenlox has a reputation beyond reputegoldenlox has a reputation beyond reputegoldenlox has a reputation beyond reputegoldenlox has a reputation beyond reputegoldenlox has a reputation beyond reputegoldenlox has a reputation beyond reputegoldenlox has a reputation beyond reputegoldenlox has a reputation beyond reputegoldenlox has a reputation beyond reputegoldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

That's why the ATP and WTA has to make sure their mega-tournaments are funded for decades.
The money is out there. It just isn't going to the players.

I keep reading how golfers make so much more than ATP players.
That's because the ITF are crooks. They sell tv rights worldwide. Just in the US that is huge money.

Making the main draw of a major is a big deal, and the first round losers, which is half the field, get about $15,000.
Which is peanuts. It's offensive, with all the money out there.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:37 AM   #42
country flag VolandriFan

VolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond repute

That would be interesting, breaking tradition. But it will never see light of day

Fognini|Mathieu|Falla|Bolelli|Muller|Verdasco
Monaco|Garcia-Lopez|Dancevic|Granollers|Massu|Schwank
Wolmarans|Xristos|Ferrer|Monfils|Alcaide|Starace
VolandriFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 01:39 AM   #43
country flag VolandriFan

VolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmonAussie View Post

you`re talking too much sense jerenoimo
yes in an ideal world both Asia & Sth America would have slams & Africa would atleast have a couple of ATP events, but it`s unlikely to happen

###
atleast tennis is much more international than golf
~~in golf you`ve got 3/4 majors in America
~~the next 6 biggest events are also in America!
*therefore America has 9/10 biggest golf tourneys [the British Open being the exception]!

>>i like the fact that tennis authorities have atleast cooperated to the point of making the big events spread internationally: slams in 3-continents, masters series in 3, ATP tourneys in 6 continents
A South American slam would be ideal. And it would be played on yellow clay.

Fognini|Mathieu|Falla|Bolelli|Muller|Verdasco
Monaco|Garcia-Lopez|Dancevic|Granollers|Massu|Schwank
Wolmarans|Xristos|Ferrer|Monfils|Alcaide|Starace
VolandriFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 01:41 AM   #44
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Viva Chile* View Post
Grand Slams = Tradition.

You can't buy tradition even with million of dollars or euros.
You just supported the theory that Olympics mean nothing.
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 01:42 AM   #45
country flag CyBorg

CyBorg has a reputation beyond reputeCyBorg has a reputation beyond reputeCyBorg has a reputation beyond reputeCyBorg has a reputation beyond reputeCyBorg has a reputation beyond reputeCyBorg has a reputation beyond reputeCyBorg has a reputation beyond reputeCyBorg has a reputation beyond reputeCyBorg has a reputation beyond reputeCyBorg has a reputation beyond reputeCyBorg has a reputation beyond repute

I said this about six months ago on MTF. I said explicitly that this is exactly what Tiriac would be doing. He's basically envisioning another Miami-type event, but even bigger. Miami has a best out of 3 final now. Tiriac will want best out of five for sure.

He wants a big event. Probably two weeks. Lots of hoopla, fireworks, a flag with his face on it and so on.
CyBorg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote