Tiriac wants Madrid to be 5th slam - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-18-2007, 06:21 PM   #1
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Tiriac wants Madrid to be 5th slam

http://www.bangkokpost.com/sportsplu....php?id=122711
Entrepreneur wants to turn Madrid into fifth tennis Grand Slam
By Sebastian Fest

Madrid (dpa) - It was only last month that Ion Tiriac found out Madrid will host a tournament with the best male and female tennis players in the world in 2009.

However, the Romanian is the most powerful businessman in world tennis, and he already has another goal, a gigantic plan: He wants to create a fifth Grand Slam in the Spanish capital.

"I see for the future, with all due respect for Grand Slams, that you have to have the chance to compete. In prizes, in quality, in infrastructure... In everything," Tiriac told Deutsche Presse-Agentur dpa in an interview in Madrid.

The plan is revolutionary. For as long as tennis has been tennis there have been four Grand Slam tournaments, and they are played in London, Paris, New York and Melbourne.

Nobody ever thought it possible to add another city to that list, nobody ever wanted to create tournaments that gave out as much money and points as those four greats.

But that is precisely Tiriac's idea. He thinks sport is different, he thinks the world has changed and you have to change the parametres.

He talks and talks, and praises himself: "In five years I turned Madrid into one of the greatest social events there is in Europe."

Sick of the rain at Wimbledon, Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone - Tiriac recalls - once asked him whether it would be possible to pay organizers 50 million pounds (102 million dollars) to take over control and manage the traditional tournament a different way.

At that time, Wimbledon did not even dream of the roof its centre court is set to have from 2009.

To argue why Madrid could host a Grand Slam, the Romanian, 68, lists three points. The first is that tennis should allow free competition.

"What I am still not satisfied about is the fact that they do not let tournaments compete. I want to compete. Tomorrow I go and ask how much are prizes at Roland Garros. Fifteen million? I go and put down 15 million, but I want to be at the points level of Roland Garros, not at the level of a '1,000.' Let me compete! But the Grand Slams will not let me compete. And neither will the ATP."

The second point of this former tennis player, former coach, former manager, former Romanian Olympic Committee chairman, businessman and banker is that Grand Slam tournaments have reached their limits.

"Unfortunately I don't think that (French President Nicolas)Sarkozy is going to let them build in the Bois de Boulogne to expand, because they already took a lot from the woods. And also they no longer have the (Olympic) Games, that the English took," Tiriac describes the challenges for Roland Garros.

London too faces obstacles.

"You cannot allow that, when you have 200 countries watching on television, the explanation is 'this is London when it rains.' Sport is no longer what is was, it is different from 20 years ago."

And Madrid is the city that according to Tiriac, incarnates more than any other this "new sport," the city that can go beyond the limits of Paris and London. The Magic Box, the fantastic tennis complex that French architect Dominique Perrault designed in the Spanish capital, is his third point.

"Madrid has a very great future, and it is going to have facilities like no other tournament. There is no other which can close three courts in five minutes and keep playing despite the rain," Tiriac stresses.

He notes he has ruled out the Asian option that he contemplated a couple of years ago.

"I do not need to move Madrid. It is likely that in Shanghai I could have made money, a lot of it. But I am lucky enough not to be about to starve to death," he says.

Thank you Nick for taking out the trash at Wimbledon!
nobama is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2007, 06:29 PM   #2
country flag Dimonator133

Dimonator133 has a reputation beyond reputeDimonator133 has a reputation beyond reputeDimonator133 has a reputation beyond reputeDimonator133 has a reputation beyond reputeDimonator133 has a reputation beyond reputeDimonator133 has a reputation beyond reputeDimonator133 has a reputation beyond reputeDimonator133 has a reputation beyond reputeDimonator133 has a reputation beyond reputeDimonator133 has a reputation beyond reputeDimonator133 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tiriac wants Madrid to be 5th slam

is he not aware that Miami is far and away the 5th Grand Slam????

Dimonator133 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 06:38 PM   #3
country flag *Viva Chile*

*Viva Chile* has a reputation beyond repute*Viva Chile* has a reputation beyond repute*Viva Chile* has a reputation beyond repute*Viva Chile* has a reputation beyond repute*Viva Chile* has a reputation beyond repute*Viva Chile* has a reputation beyond repute*Viva Chile* has a reputation beyond repute*Viva Chile* has a reputation beyond repute*Viva Chile* has a reputation beyond repute*Viva Chile* has a reputation beyond repute*Viva Chile* has a reputation beyond repute

is he ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapeod View Post
Take that you bitch. In your face. And to top it off her son, Novak went out in the 3rd round, has been leapfrogged by Murray in the rankings and is only a little bit ahead off Juan Martin In yo face, biatch.
*Viva Chile* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 06:39 PM   #4
country flag CmonAussie

CmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimonator133 View Post
is he not aware that Miami is far and away the 5th Grand Slam????

there is no such thing as a 5th major in golf, & no 5th slam in tennis

Rome has a greater history than Miami
TMC offers more money, prestige & points than Miami

>> Miami is only considered the 5th most important by Americans
CmonAussie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 06:42 PM   #5
country flag scoobs
Anastasia Komananov, KGB

scoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond repute

Hell will freeze over first. They're not turning tennis into Formula 1 - majors sold around to the highest bidder.

Go away, Tiriac.
scoobs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 06:43 PM   #6
country flag *Viva Chile*

*Viva Chile* has a reputation beyond repute*Viva Chile* has a reputation beyond repute*Viva Chile* has a reputation beyond repute*Viva Chile* has a reputation beyond repute*Viva Chile* has a reputation beyond repute*Viva Chile* has a reputation beyond repute*Viva Chile* has a reputation beyond repute*Viva Chile* has a reputation beyond repute*Viva Chile* has a reputation beyond repute*Viva Chile* has a reputation beyond repute*Viva Chile* has a reputation beyond repute

Grand Slams = Tradition.

You can't buy tradition even with million of dollars or euros.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapeod View Post
Take that you bitch. In your face. And to top it off her son, Novak went out in the 3rd round, has been leapfrogged by Murray in the rankings and is only a little bit ahead off Juan Martin In yo face, biatch.
*Viva Chile* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 06:44 PM   #7
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Tiriac - annoying as always. Thinks he sort-of owns the sport.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 06:47 PM   #8
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmonAussie View Post

Rome has a greater history than Miami
TMC offers more money, prestige & points than Miami

>> Miami is only considered the 5th most important by Americans
Wasn't Miami at one point best of 5 and that's why it got the label the 5th slam?

Thank you Nick for taking out the trash at Wimbledon!
nobama is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 06:48 PM   #9
country flag Burrow

Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute

No. Not good idea.
Burrow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 06:48 PM   #10

Dimonator133 has a reputation beyond reputeDimonator133 has a reputation beyond reputeDimonator133 has a reputation beyond reputeDimonator133 has a reputation beyond reputeDimonator133 has a reputation beyond reputeDimonator133 has a reputation beyond reputeDimonator133 has a reputation beyond reputeDimonator133 has a reputation beyond reputeDimonator133 has a reputation beyond reputeDimonator133 has a reputation beyond reputeDimonator133 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmonAussie View Post

there are plenty of dumb people on here, but I think we all know how many majors/slams there are in the respective sports. Thanks, though.

Miami is the QUOTE END QUOTE Fifth Grand Slam

The Tour Championship is the QUOTE END QUOTE Fifth Major
Old 10-18-2007, 06:48 PM   #11
country flag the answer

the answer has a reputation beyond reputethe answer has a reputation beyond reputethe answer has a reputation beyond reputethe answer has a reputation beyond reputethe answer has a reputation beyond reputethe answer has a reputation beyond reputethe answer has a reputation beyond reputethe answer has a reputation beyond reputethe answer has a reputation beyond reputethe answer has a reputation beyond reputethe answer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirkaland View Post
Wasn't Miami at one point best of 5 and that's why it got the label the 5th slam?
It's still best of 5.

Q. Do you see dreams at night? Nightmaires, like Mike Tyson talked about?

A. Sometimes I see night dreams and I fight in them too - FEDOR EMELIANENKO
the answer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 06:48 PM   #12
country flag scoobs
Anastasia Komananov, KGB

scoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Viva Chile* View Post
Grand Slams = Tradition.

You can't buy tradition even with million of dollars or euros.
Exactly - and you have to be careful with it.

Tradition is easy to destroy and very difficult to create.

There can be too much, of course, but I pray God nobody ever takes this totally numb idea seriously.
scoobs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 06:51 PM   #13
country flag LeChuck

LeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirkaland View Post
It was best of 5 sets right across the rounds for 3 years from 1987-1989 I think.

Last edited by LeChuck : 10-18-2007 at 06:56 PM.
LeChuck is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 06:51 PM   #14
country flag Burrow

Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimonator133 View Post
there are plenty of dumb people on here, but I think we all know how many majors/slams there are in the respective sports. Thanks, though.

Miami is the QUOTE END QUOTE Fifth Grand Slam

The Tour Championship is the QUOTE END QUOTE Fifth Major
You seriously are loony.
Burrow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 06:51 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by the answer View Post
It's still best of 5.

yeah, the final is

plenty of non-Slam finals also used to be best of 5