Al Gore and the U.N.'s climate change panel win the 2007 Nobel Peace Prize - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-12-2007, 09:07 AM   #1
country flag Bilbo

Bilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Al Gore and the U.N.'s climate change panel win the 2007 Nobel Peace Prize

Details soon.

Al Gore for president. This man is good in my opinion. Of course he's a Democrat like Clinton

Last edited by Bilbo : 10-12-2007 at 09:16 AM.
Bilbo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2007, 10:01 AM   #2
country flag Bilbo

Bilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Al Gore and the U.N.'s climate change panel win the 2007 Nobel Peace Prize

Former U.S. Vice President Al Gore and the U.N.'s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change have won the 2007 Nobel Peace Prize for their work raising awareness about global warming.

The Nobel committee cited them "for their efforts to build up and disseminate greater knowledge about man-made climate change, and to lay the foundations for the measures that are needed to counteract such change."

The IPCC and Gore will each receive a gold medal, a diploma and a share of $1.5 million. The award ceremony will be held December 10 in Oslo, Norway.

"Through the scientific reports it has issued over the past two decades, the IPCC has created an ever-broader informed consensus about the connection between human activities and global warming," Ole Danbolt Mjoes, chairman of the Nobel committee, said in making the announcement.

"Thousands of scientists and officials from over 100 countries have collaborated to achieve greater certainty as to the scale of the warming."

The Nobel committee praised Gore as being "one of the world's leading environmentalist politicians."

He is probably the single individual who has done most to create greater worldwide understanding of the measures that need to be adopted," said Mjoes

Gore collected two Oscars earlier this year for his documentary, "An Inconvenient Truth," which followed him on a worldwide tour publicizing the dangers of climate change.

Last month he also picked up an Emmy -- the highest award in U.S. television -- for "Current TV." The show, which Gore co-created, describes itself as a global television network that gives its viewers the opportunity to create and influence its programming.

Previous American recipients of the peace prize include former presidents Jimmy Carter in 2002, Woodrow Wilson in 1919 and Theodore Roosevelt in 1906.

In 1973, former Secretary of State Henry Kissinger shared the award with North Vietnam's Le Duc Tho. The Rev. Martin Luther King received the honor in 1964.

Gore served as Vice President for eight years under President Bill Clinton. He won the Democratic presidential nomination in 2000 and ran against George W. Bush.

But he failed in his bid for the White House -- despite winning more votes than Bush -- when the U.S. Supreme Court rejected his challenge over voting results in Florida, securing an electoral college majority for Bush.

In recent weeks Gore has been the target of a campaign to persuade him to enter the 2008 presidential race at the 11th hour

Gore has repeatedly denied that he has any plans to run again, but this week a group of grassroots Democrats calling themselves "Draft Gore" took out a full-page ad in the New York Times in a bid to change his mind.

"Your country needs you now, as do your party, and the planet you are fighting so hard to save," the group said in an open letter.

"America and the Earth need a hero right now, someone who will transcend politics as usual and bring real hope to our country and to the world."

A spokeswoman for the IPCC, which draws on the work of 2,000 scientists, said the panel was surprised that it had been chosen to share the award with Gore and praised his contribution to environmental campaigning.

"We would have been happy even if he had received it alone because it is a recognition of the importance of this issue," spokeswoman Carola Traverso Saibante said, The Associated Press reported.

(CNN.COM)
Old 10-12-2007, 11:27 AM   #3
country flag Rafa = Fed Killa
POWER...UNLIMITED...POWER

Rafa = Fed Killa has a reputation beyond reputeRafa = Fed Killa has a reputation beyond reputeRafa = Fed Killa has a reputation beyond reputeRafa = Fed Killa has a reputation beyond reputeRafa = Fed Killa has a reputation beyond reputeRafa = Fed Killa has a reputation beyond reputeRafa = Fed Killa has a reputation beyond reputeRafa = Fed Killa has a reputation beyond reputeRafa = Fed Killa has a reputation beyond reputeRafa = Fed Killa has a reputation beyond reputeRafa = Fed Killa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Al Gore and the U.N.'s climate change panel win the 2007 Nobel Peace Prize

Further proof of USA's idiocy for not voting him president.

Hope you are enjoying Bush my southern neighbors.

RIP TENNIS JUNE 7, 2009

Do what must be done.
Do not hesitate.
Show no mercy.
Rafa = Fed Killa is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 11:32 AM   #4
country flag savesthedizzle
#freeviktor

savesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa = Fed Killa View Post

Hope you are enjoying Bush my southern neighbors.
We DID vote him president That's the worst part.

savesthedizzle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 11:43 AM   #5
country flag Bilbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa = Fed Killa View Post
Republicans = bad ones
Democrats = good ones

I guess the people living in the US still haven't figured this one out.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:03 PM   #6
country flag stealthisnick

stealthisnick has a reputation beyond reputestealthisnick has a reputation beyond reputestealthisnick has a reputation beyond reputestealthisnick has a reputation beyond reputestealthisnick has a reputation beyond reputestealthisnick has a reputation beyond reputestealthisnick has a reputation beyond reputestealthisnick has a reputation beyond reputestealthisnick has a reputation beyond reputestealthisnick has a reputation beyond reputestealthisnick has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
Republicans = bad ones
Democrats = good ones

I guess the people living in the US still haven't figured this one out.
wrong
Republicans=very bad ones
Democtats=bad ones

people easily forget about kennedy in vietnam or clinton in balkans

Tennis Tipping Doubles
W: San Marino CH 07 (with Salum) , Tampere CH 08 (with Overlord) , Samarkand CH 08 (with Kielian) , Seville CH 08 (with Filipo) , St Brieuc CH 09 (with stbanchile) ,
Ostrava CH 09 (with ghan) , San Marino CH 09 (with lukela85) , Lyon 09 (with Overlord) , Yokohama CH 09 (with Boarder35m) , Sunrise CH 10 (with Boarder35m),
St. Petersburg 10 (with Overlord), Johannesburg 11 (with Gallina)
stealthisnick is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 12:23 PM   #7
Snowwy

Snowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond repute

This man is a joke, most hes the one that originally tunred down Kyoto in the US back in 96 or 97, whenever it was new and now he wins a Peace Prize by saying that it shouldnt have been turned down by the 'dumb' governement. Also a lot of his 'facts' are iffy, CO2 is a greenhouse gas but does not affect the temperature anywere close to what he says. And Im not sure if he talked about this in his movie but

REGULAR FUEL IS BETTER FOR THE ENVIRONMENT (according to his other 'facts') THAN BIOFUEL.

Since you probably wont believe me, I might explain that in depth later cuz I have to go to school. Im just completely disappointed in this choice and how this hypocrite never wins presendency.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:25 PM   #8
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthisnick View Post

Or Pol Pot in Cambodia.
And we of course should not forget how the genocide was stopped in the Balkans. I would not give Clinton all the credit, but if you want to, go ahead, I have no problem with that.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:28 PM   #9
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder why they gave him the prize for PEACE. After all, one would logically think that any meritorious work done on the cause of Global Warming would naturally fall into one of the SCIENCE categories and therefore ............................. Oh, wait!
Old 10-12-2007, 12:35 PM   #10
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowwy View Post
Im just completely disappointed in this choice and how this hypocrite never wins presendency.
The money he earns from the publicity will fill his private jet with jet fuel for the rest of his life, so he can fly around the globe polluting the air and bringing his message of how we all (himself excepted) need to ride bicycles instead of driving cars. Which should be a great disappointment to the Chinese, who have just got to the stage of putting a car in every garage and now they have to go down to the dump and rescue their bicycles.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:38 PM   #11
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthisnick View Post

And while you are at it, you forgot Mussolini in Africa. Those Italian fascists really are the scum of the earth.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:49 PM   #12
country flag Bilbo

buddyholly must be a republicans voter. you might give the nobel peace prize to bush
Old 10-12-2007, 02:32 PM   #13
country flag natasha_nana

natasha_nana has a reputation beyond reputenatasha_nana has a reputation beyond reputenatasha_nana has a reputation beyond reputenatasha_nana has a reputation beyond reputenatasha_nana has a reputation beyond reputenatasha_nana has a reputation beyond reputenatasha_nana has a reputation beyond reputenatasha_nana has a reputation beyond reputenatasha_nana has a reputation beyond reputenatasha_nana has a reputation beyond reputenatasha_nana has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowwy View Post
This man is a joke, most hes the one that originally tunred down Kyoto in the US back in 96 or 97, whenever it was new and now he wins a Peace Prize by saying that it shouldnt have been turned down by the 'dumb' governement.
Yeah!

Also, not sure what this has to do with Peace precisely...or why of all the nominees they thought fit to award it to Al "I jump on bandwagons" Gore...

I'm all for taking action against global warming and environmental destruction...but Al Gore? An Eco Warrior? Rrrright. More like shameless attention seeking from a person who has zero credentials to be taken seriously on this matter.

Sigh.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:37 PM   #14
country flag Sparko1030

Sparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats to Gore and I hope he does decide to run for president again (although he's had so much success since the Supreme Court's partisan decision to basically give the election to Bush why should he risk a loss again? ) Right now I 'm an Obama supporter but so far he's behind Hilary who doesn't have a chance to get the swing votes its takes to get elected president-Al might be the canidate to get those crucial votes. There is an environmental movement in the ranks of the evangelical Christians and Gore may be able to capture some of those traditonal republican votes.

Regardless, its been a great year for Al, not so good for Bush, Al must get some satisfaction from that. I bet Bush is wondering right now how he can get one of those 'Noo-bel Piece' awards. ( I have a hunch he's not going to get one for his efforts in Iraq.... )

And all of the posters who hate the US so passionatly: I know its a little in the past but I just recently watched the Ken Burns' doc "The War" about WWII and if it wasn't for the US, the whole world would be a facist machine now. We're far from perfect I agree, but we have done some good in the World and I think its very easy to forget that during this current dark period in our history. I'm sure every country represented here on the mtf has something in their history to be ashamed of, do you want to be judged by all the things done in your country's name?

FERNANDO GONZALEZ

Best Wishes to: Marcos~Janko~Ivan~Marat~Lucho~Rafa~Tommy H
Gaston-best of luck in whatever you decide to do.

"Its hard to argue against cynics-they always sound smarter than optimists because they have so much evidence on their side." Molly Ivins, 1944-2007

Last edited by Sparko1030 : 10-12-2007 at 06:02 PM.
Sparko1030 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 03:06 PM   #15
country flag Bilbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparko1030 View Post
Congrats to Gore and I hope he does decide to run for president again (although he's had so much success since the Supreme Court's partisan decision to basically give the election to Bush why should he risk a loss again? ) Right now I 'm an Obama supporter but so far he's behind Hilary who doesn't have a chance to get the swing votes its takes to get elected president-Al might be the canidate to get those crucial votes. There is an environmental movement in the ranks of the evangelical Christians and Gore may be able to capture some of those traditonal republican votes.

Regardless, its been a great year for Al, not so good for Bush, Al must get some satisfaction from that. I bet Bush is wondering right now how he can get one of those 'Noo-bel Piece' awards. ( I have a hunch he's not going to get one for his efforts in Iraq.... )