madrid - Page 26 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-21-2007, 10:13 PM   #376
country flag ryder66

ryder66 has a reputation beyond reputeryder66 has a reputation beyond reputeryder66 has a reputation beyond reputeryder66 has a reputation beyond reputeryder66 has a reputation beyond reputeryder66 has a reputation beyond reputeryder66 has a reputation beyond reputeryder66 has a reputation beyond reputeryder66 has a reputation beyond reputeryder66 has a reputation beyond reputeryder66 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: madrid

I wasn't able to see the match and it does sound like Nalbandian played a great game, but consistency is the word. Federer, Nadal, and now Djokoic are more consitant players throughout the year (Nadal the first part, anyway). They have their loses, but bounce back. Anyone can have a great tournament, and Nalbandian obviously had one, but he is going to have to be more consistant before I consider him "back". However, congratulations to both players - Federer on another final and Nalbandian on his play.
ryder66 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2007, 11:00 PM   #377
country flag sierra91

sierra91 has a reputation beyond reputesierra91 has a reputation beyond reputesierra91 has a reputation beyond reputesierra91 has a reputation beyond reputesierra91 has a reputation beyond reputesierra91 has a reputation beyond reputesierra91 has a reputation beyond reputesierra91 has a reputation beyond reputesierra91 has a reputation beyond reputesierra91 has a reputation beyond reputesierra91 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: madrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Beater View Post
Here's the funny thing. In some way its good for roger's legacy to lose these types of matches. People will appreciate the greatness of federer later on, and understand the quality of competition he is facing. I just hope "fat dave" actually builds on this because his talent is amazing. He is the most talented and solid off both sides since agassi, and this is not me bandwagoning. He has always had it but it was a question of if he could put it together for a whole season let alone a whole career.

It shows how much a player needs to beat roger. Its no secret that it required bandy to play at the top of his game and have full confidence to beat federer today. Safin needed arguable the best match of his career to beat roger at the AO, and it takes a
to beat federer on clay. Beating federer just once has been such a huge challenge, and while it can be done that is not the important questions. There are a select few players who have the ability to beat roger and on their best day, they could. But if they played 10 matches across all surfaces, federer wins the majority of those matches - his standard is too high.[/quote]

Not only true, but also very well said. I do hope the quality of Roer's competition is eventually appreciated. I'm sick of hearing people say that he isn't that good because the field is weak. I've been to enough tournaments to see how good the guys are and how much deeper the men's field is (I recall reading that someone who knows a lot more about the game than I do -- that Laver chap -- said this), but Roger is just that much better. I'm also sick of people saying that Roger isn't as great as Sampras, Agassi, Connors, McEnroe, etc., because he hasn't had a real rival or been consistently challenged by any player except by the "psycho OCD moonballer" and only on clay.

One last match showing how hard it is to beat Roger ... Murray in '06 at Cincy. I was there and wonder what the result would have been had ESPN not given Roger a 1:00 p.m. day match after a late night match so they could show Roddick against a qualifier during prime time. Moron Carillo said Roger tanked the match on purpose. Well, if he was taking it, why did he break back five times? He had no time to adjust to the surface, no time for a full practice, and no legs. He had not serve but still managed to keep breaking Murray and hang in as long as he could. Even though it put a big damper on Cincy, who cares ... he went on to win the Open.

Thanks for your post.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:09 PM   #378
country flag lunahielo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

lunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond repute

Shake it off~~~Roger
Best of Luck in Basel!!

Seat #19 on the Federer Express
lunahielo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 11:15 PM   #379
country flag PamV

PamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtennisfan View Post
I think more than anything, he was surprised that Nalbandian turned up his game. He blew him off of the court in the 1st set and was holding easily in the 2nd until he was broken as you said. He was surprised that Nalbandian started serving really well and then before he knew it, he's in a third set with a guy who can't miss and brimming with confidence.
Roger shouldn't have been surprised that Nalbandian hung in there. It's obvious that his belly has been reduced and that means he's been training. Just looking at Nalbandian you can see he's in better shape than last year. Even despite the issue of bad form.... Nalbandian took the first set so handily in their 2006 TMC match. Then Nalbandian ran out of gas after one set. Now it's different because he's not carrying the spare tire.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:17 PM   #380
country flag NYCtennisfan
Fed Fo Mod

NYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamV View Post
Roger shouldn't have been surprised that Nalbandian hung in there. It's obvious that his belly has been reduced and that means he's been training. Just looking at Nalbandian you can see he's in better shape than last year. Even despite the issue of bad form.... Nalbandian took the first set so handily in their 2006 TMC match. Then Nalbandian ran out of gas after one set. Now it's different because he's not carrying the spare tire.
He didn't run out of gas in that match. He started missing, Federer started serving better and hitting more penetrating FH's. Then he just kind of thought there was no way of winning and completely imploded.
NYCtennisfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 11:32 PM   #381
country flag sierra91

sierra91 has a reputation beyond reputesierra91 has a reputation beyond reputesierra91 has a reputation beyond reputesierra91 has a reputation beyond reputesierra91 has a reputation beyond reputesierra91 has a reputation beyond reputesierra91 has a reputation beyond reputesierra91 has a reputation beyond reputesierra91 has a reputation beyond reputesierra91 has a reputation beyond reputesierra91 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Or Levy View Post
Well. I thought he looked more disappointed today than in Montreal, or should I say - more surprised.

Maybe he was more pissed, cause it was Nole, and Nole is the usurper, one of them, and Nalby really isn't.

I feel it was a silly loss, Roger in the second set held serve comfortably with the exception of that mental walk-about when he got broken - in the third set he was just not playing well.

Well, I hope both him and Nalby get to the Basel Q so Roger can do to him when he did to Canas.
More surprised, but probably with his own play. In pre-tAournament interviews, he'll identify Nalbandian as a contender or one of those dangerous guys who can step it up and do well, in spite of having dropped in the rankings. He knows what Nalbandian is capable of and I'm sure was well aware of how Nalby was doing, at least toward the latter part of the tournament. As far as Montreal, I would venture to guess that he was pissed at himself more than anything else. Failing to convert one of six set points on his serve in the first and then, in the third, failing to capitalize on opportunities like he usually does. But he went on to win Cincy and, even though he didn't play all that well until the final (almost no one did except during some night matches) ... probably because he was so inspired by the "Go Roger" car, which my friend and I decorated in the wee hours on Saturday night and Roger saw when he left the hotel on Sunday morning. No, the car didn't help ... the W in Cincy was all Roger and today was one of the very few times when he's reached a final that he didn't/couldn't turn it up a few more notches. As far as the car, we managed to ask him after the final if he'd seen it and he cracked up and teased us about it .. incredibly fun and exciting to be on the receiving end of his great sense of humor! Oh yeah, and then he won another tournament ... that one in New York.

Last edited by sierra91 : 10-21-2007 at 11:42 PM.
sierra91 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 11:48 PM   #382
country flag didadida

didadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: madrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra91 View Post
More surprised, but probably with his own play. In pre-tAournament interviews, he'll identify Nalbandian as a contender or one of those dangerous guys who can step it up and do well, in spite of having dropped in the rankings. He knows what Nalbandian is capable of and I'm sure was well aware of how Nalby was doing, at least toward the latter part of the tournament. As far as Montreal, I would venture to guess that he was pissed at himself more than anything else. Failing to convert one of six set points on his serve in the first and then, in the third, failing to capitalize on opportunities like he usually does. But he went on to win Cincy and, even though he didn't play all that well until the final (almost no one did except during some night matches) ... probably because he was so inspired by the "Go Roger" car, which my friend and I decorated in the wee hours on Saturday night and Roger saw when he left the hotel on Sunday morning. No, the car didn't help ... the W in Cincy was all Roger and today was one of the very few times when he's reached a final that he didn't/couldn't turn it up a few more notches. As far as the car, we managed to ask him after the final if he'd seen it and he cracked up and teased us about it .. incredibly fun and exciting to be on the receiving end of his great sense of humor! Oh yeah, and then he won another tournament ... that one in New York.

the car idea was so funny and inspired,it is so nice to hear of roger's sense of humor
he is so a nice guy

why you didnt make one in spain........

just kidding

good luck roger in basel

the recipe is simple yet but extremely rare:buckets of athletic ability coupled with gallons of mental tenacity are the core ingredients that produce a Tiger Woods,a Michael Jordan...a Roger Federer

roger is the best
didadida is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 11:58 PM   #383
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirkaland View Post
I guess that's what I meant. Maybe not caring isn't the right words. But I prefer the Roger who's trying to pump himself up not one that is irritated and frustrated.

I guess this was just Fat Dave's week....taking out Nadal, Djoker and now Roger.
Yeah, after posting - and having to go out for a congress I had to attend this night - I realized we might have well been talking about the same thing, but addressed it differently.

It surely was Dave's week. Taking out the ATP's #2, #3, and #1 in just three days... WHAT an achievement indeed. One can only Praise Him with All Praise!

The only conclusion I can think of right now is that Nalby = ATP#1, #2, & #3 Killa.

Okay, Rogi, we all know you're not done yet. Have a good rest, refuel, and on to the next tournament.

Hopp, Rogelio!!!

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 12:01 AM   #384
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtennisfan View Post
Exactly. He played really well all week, but Nalbandian stepped it up today and Fed didn't deliver. Happens to everyone. I remember he said the same thing last year after he lost to Nadal in Dubai. He said he was happy with his play and then he went on to sweep IW and Miami.
Someone on Roger's website (a regular, reliable poster, not a fan boy/girl) commented that Roger's won less than 50% of the tournaments he's played this year - as if that was a sign of decline. Good grief. Most guys on tour are happy if the are above .500 in their match win/loss ratio. Prior to Roger who consistantly won more than 50% of the tournaments they played in? Sampras maybe in 1994?

Thank you Nick for taking out the trash at Wimbledon!
nobama is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 12:05 AM   #385
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayBuster View Post
Yeah, after posting - and having to go out for a congress I had to attend this night - I realized we might have well been talking about the same thing, but addressed it differently.

It surely was Dave's week. Taking out the ATP's #2, #3, and #1 in just three days... WHAT an achievement indeed. One can only Praise Him with All Praise!

The only conclusion I can think of right now is that Nalby = ATP#1, #2, & #3 Killa.

Okay, Rogi, we all know you're not done yet. Have a good rest, refuel, and on to the next tournament.

Hopp, Rogelio!!!
I hope he's not done yet. But I haven't seen a pic like this in a while. For anyone who says Roger just cares about the slams now all you have to do is look at his face on this pic to know that isn't true. I hope he can channel that disappointment into positive things in Basel and Paris (if he plays). Outside of the clay season, usually after every tough loss he's come back with a win. I hope that happens in Basel.

Thank you Nick for taking out the trash at Wimbledon!
nobama is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 12:12 AM   #386
country flag World Beater

World Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I hope he's not done yet. But I haven't seen a pic like this in a while. For anyone who says Roger just cares about the slams now all you have to do is look at his face on this pic to know that isn't true. I hope he can channel that disappointment into positive things in Basel and Paris (if he plays). Outside of the clay season, usually after every tough loss he's come back with a win. I hope that happens in Basel.

he looks like he wants to kill something.

nalbandian has sinned. he shall feel the wrath of j$susfed
There are 10^11 stars in the galaxy. That used to be a huge number. But it's only a hundred billion. It's less than the national deficit! We used to call them astronomical numbers. Now we should call them economical numbers.

-Richard Feynman

World Beater is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 12:13 AM   #387
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I'm sad I feel I have to admit that I think you are very right about this.
Rogi was very, VERY disappointed at his loss today - it literally drooped from his sad face, as this pic shows so well. It's pretty obvious that it isn't just the slams he cares for right now - he still wants to win EVERY tournament he plays.

For some reason, it comforts me. Rogi isn't done yet - that FIRE, the will to win them ALL, is still obviously showing. I might have been more worried if he took this loss with ease (as he seemed to do after the MC and RG losses against Rafa this year). The FIRE is still there!

VAMOS, dear Rogelio, on your upcoming tournaments!

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 02:28 AM   #388
country flag Marek.

Marek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond repute

I don't care much about this loss especially since it was against one of my favorites. I also doubt Federer will since he's already one here and he played a good tournament anyway.

Also, I don't see him losing the number one rank this year so some people shouldn't worry so much. The AO will be extremely difficult to defend, however, and I could see him lose it after that.
Marek. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 02:28 AM   #389
country flag didadida

didadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond repute

oh im so sad for roger he looks so sad,and it seemes that there is fire comming out of his eyes

c'mon roger.....
win basel

the recipe is simple yet but extremely rare:buckets of athletic ability coupled with gallons of mental tenacity are the core ingredients that produce a Tiger Woods,a Michael Jordan...a Roger Federer

roger is the best
didadida is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 02:38 AM   #390
country flag NYCtennisfan
Fed Fo Mod

NYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flibbertigibbet View Post
Would you compare this to the Dubai match against Nadal, then? I mean, Federer swept that first set and was holding with ease in the second set until the one crucial break. I haven't seen the match yet.

In any case, I like Nalbandian and am glad for him - I hope if they do meet in Basel, though, Federer can beat him, since it is his home tournament. I also hope Federer will play Paris this year since it's one of the three Masters Series events he hasn't won (and the other two are clay events)... of course, since they're changing the Masters Series system, maybe that won't be so important any more, but it'd be nice to have Federer win all of them someday. I don't think the chances of his playing Paris is too strong, though, especially if he wins Basel.
The circumstances and scoring are the same i.e. similar scoreline, Fed played well in both matches. Fed has even said that when he's locked in, nobody reads his game better than Nalbandian. Nalbandian spent the last two sets anticipating most of Federer's shots and if Federer didn't hit with great depth and power, there was counter-punch taken early by Nalbandian that swung the rally into his favor.
NYCtennisfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote