madrid - Page 24 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-21-2007, 04:43 PM   #346
country flag holagirl56

holagirl56 has a reputation beyond reputeholagirl56 has a reputation beyond reputeholagirl56 has a reputation beyond reputeholagirl56 has a reputation beyond reputeholagirl56 has a reputation beyond reputeholagirl56 has a reputation beyond reputeholagirl56 has a reputation beyond reputeholagirl56 has a reputation beyond reputeholagirl56 has a reputation beyond reputeholagirl56 has a reputation beyond reputeholagirl56 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: madrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoes View Post
I also don't think this is going to bother Roger so very much. The biggest disappointment is him not getting nearer to closing out his no. 1 ranking.
No.1 ranking for the race or year?

Because I do think that his No.1 for the year is secure even though he loses points for Madrid.

I'm not sure about the race though.
holagirl56 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2007, 04:45 PM   #347
country flag Or Levy

Or Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtennisfan View Post
It will be interesting to see the transcript of this one.
There wont' be a transcript, there hasn't been a transcript all week, just those little 30 secs video interviews on the ATP TV site. Very annoying. I'd like to see how he explains this, because he looked totally listless and lacking of confidence against Nalby in the last set.
Or Levy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 04:46 PM   #348
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Or Levy View Post
Well. That was depressing.

I did not think he looked good from the first ball, the serve was down, he made much more errors, seemed grumpy even in the first set, and the sprinkles thing draw no humor out of him. I mean, when was the last time we've seen him standing there with his arms crossed, looking totally peeved?

And the last few games... ACK. He just kept missing, reminded me of IW or Miami there for a second. Odd, consider how badly Nalby owned him, when was the last time one of THESE GUYS managed to do anything against Roger?

I mean - he looked SO good throughout the tournament, only to lose in the final. I give Nalby credit, but not that much credit, at the end - Roger gift-wrapped the match for him.
Yeah I know we're in for a bad day when Roger looks annoyed/grumpy out there. And he did not look the least bit amused when play was stopped to fix the leaky sprinkler.

Hopefully the Roger we saw earlier in the week is the one that shows up in Basel. If he can defend his Basel title he'll have #1 locked up for the year.

Thank you Nick for taking out the trash at Wimbledon!
nobama is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 04:50 PM   #349
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by holagirl56 View Post
No.1 ranking for the race or year?

Because I do think that his No.1 for the year is secure even though he loses points for Madrid.

I'm not sure about the race though.
Roger needs 46/230 points to end the year at #1 with Nadal not able to catch him. If he defends Basel he will have 50/250 points. Nadal isn't playing this week so Roger can only gain on him in the race, but in terms of the ranking he's defending, so nothing to gain.

Old 10-21-2007, 04:54 PM   #350
country flag ExpectedWinner

ExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Or Levy View Post
There wont' be a transcript, there hasn't been a transcript all week, just those little 30 secs video interviews on the ATP TV site. Very annoying. I'd like to see how he explains this, because he looked totally listless and lacking of confidence against Nalby in the last set.
It doesn't matter what he's going to say. He's not obligated to reveal his real thoughts. NYC's already figured out what happened (posts# 332,333).

Last edited by ExpectedWinner : 10-21-2007 at 05:02 PM.
ExpectedWinner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 05:00 PM   #351
country flag Mechlan

Mechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Beater View Post
Thats a tough decision for federer to make against bandy because he believed that was the key reason he lost to bandy so many times early.

What should federer do?

Should he hope his rhythm comes back from the baseline or should he start chipping and charging or..?

Ive seen federer - bandy matches in the past where federer was being dominated from the baseline for periods, and federer has elected to stay at the baseline. For the most part it has paid dividends, but when david starts serving like he did today, it becomes tough.

I was disappointed that federer started slicing all those bh returns when he was having success in the 1st stepping in and taking control. I understand that federer thinks the slice is effective against bandy and it is, because of how relatively flat nalbandian hits the ball, but he was just slicing too much. After the second set, federer was on the back foot on the fh the whole time. I dont even know if he hit any winners on the fh.
He always starts slicing too much when he loses confidence in the backhand. You're right about David's serving; in most matches, Federer has good looks at the Nalbandian serve which counteracts the good looks that Nalbandian has on Federer's serve. Today, Nalbandian's returning was great (due partially to poor serving by Federer) but Federer just didn't get the opportunities he normally gets on David's serve.

Coming in to the net would have been a good idea, except Roger was on the defensive on a large number of the rallies in the final set. I really think he should have used the angles to try and force David to hit on the run, then come in once he had the advantage in the rally. David deals with pace and depth very well due to his amazing hand eye coordination, but his movement has always been susceptible. Unfortunate this wasn't a 5-set match, would have been a lot of fun to watch it go the distance.
Mechlan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 05:01 PM   #352
country flag World Beater

World Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond repute

The funniest thing for me is to see all these clueless posters who say federer is no competitor because he lost a match to an on-fire nalbandian.

Federer wins 4343947 matches, and loses 1 match, and suddenly he is no competitor, he is declining,.....
There are 10^11 stars in the galaxy. That used to be a huge number. But it's only a hundred billion. It's less than the national deficit! We used to call them astronomical numbers. Now we should call them economical numbers.

-Richard Feynman

World Beater is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 05:04 PM   #353
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

Fed mentioned Paris in his speech after the match so I hope we get to see him play there. I think for sure he will if he doesn't win Basel and lock up #1.

Old 10-21-2007, 05:15 PM   #354
country flag soraya

soraya has a reputation beyond reputesoraya has a reputation beyond reputesoraya has a reputation beyond reputesoraya has a reputation beyond reputesoraya has a reputation beyond reputesoraya has a reputation beyond reputesoraya has a reputation beyond reputesoraya has a reputation beyond reputesoraya has a reputation beyond reputesoraya has a reputation beyond reputesoraya has a reputation beyond repute

speculations aside, Nalbi outplayed Fed and he deserves to win. Too bad for Rogi to have worked hard till the end and lose at the final.
"Champions aren’t made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill.”- Muhammad Ali“

————————————
soraya is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 05:22 PM   #355
country flag PamV

PamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirkaland View Post
Roger needs 46/230 points to end the year at #1 with Nadal not able to catch him. If he defends Basel he will have 50/250 points. Nadal isn't playing this week so Roger can only gain on him in the race, but in terms of the ranking he's defending, so nothing to gain.
In ranking points Roger has 7,205 and Nadal has 5,385 with the Madrid results. If we subtract the points that each one has to defend that's 1,000 for Roger and 200 for Nadal.
That gives them absolute points for 2007 as Roger = 6,205 and Nadal = 5,185.

That still gives Roger a lead of 1,020 for this year if neither guy gained any more points. So then it boils down in how likely is it that Nadal would gain 1,020 while Roger would fail to defend any of his remaining points.

At the start of Madrid, Roger mentioned that the only place he could gain points would be in Paris. I wonder if he will feel it's a good idea to try to pick up some points there even if he were not to win the tournment.
Old 10-21-2007, 05:23 PM   #356
country flag ExpectedWinner

ExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Beater View Post
The funniest thing for me is to see all these clueless posters who say federer is no competitor because he lost a match to an on-fire nalbandian.
Until he wins 7 5 setters in a GS tournament coming back from behind in each of them, people will question his fighting qualities. And even then the competition will be degraded to choking clowns. The GM is as entertaining as old Soviet newspapers. The same shit is repeated every day and then some people start believing in it.
ExpectedWinner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 05:25 PM   #357
country flag PamV

PamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by soraya View Post
speculations aside, Nalbi outplayed Fed and he deserves to win. Too bad for Rogi to have worked hard till the end and lose at the final.
I think Nalby just held firm and played his game while Roger was nervous and had too many uncharacteristic UFEs. At the end each guy had 78 points. Roger hit more aces and more winners but he also had more errors.
Old 10-21-2007, 05:28 PM   #358
country flag PamV

The good thing is that Roger made it to the Madrid final and he only lost 150 points from this. He could make that up if he plays Paris.

The bad thing is that the loss will show some of Roger's vunerablities to the rest of the field.

Nalby won't be in the TMC this year.....so that's probably a good thing too.
Old 10-21-2007, 05:32 PM   #359

World Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpectedWinner View Post
Until he wins 7 5 setters in a GS tournament coming back from behind in each of them, people will question his fighting qualities. And even then the competition will be degraded to choking clowns. The GM is as entertaining as old Soviet newspapers. The same shit is repeated every day and then some people start believing in it.
yeah.

Federer will be remembered as some kind of mythological g$d when he's done. Many of the players in next generations will not be as good or as dominant as federer and so many people will retract their statements.

I cannot imagine the kind of expectations there will be for future champions in subsequent generations.

"He's good, but he's no federer".

People didn't appreciate sampras until after his career. Now the nostalgia is out of control.
There are 10^11 stars in the galaxy. That used to be a huge number. But it's only a hundred billion. It's less than the national deficit! We used to call them astronomical numbers. Now we should call them economical numbers.

-Richard Feynman

Old 10-21-2007, 05:34 PM   #360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechlan View Post
He always starts slicing too much when he loses confidence in the backhand. You're right about David's serving; in most matches, Federer has good looks at the Nalbandian serve which counteracts the good looks that Nalbandian has on Federer's serve. Today, Nalbandian's returning was great (due partially to poor serving by Federer) but Federer just didn't get the opportunities he normally gets on David's serve.

Coming in to the net would have been a good idea, except Roger was on the defensive on a large number of the rallies in the final set. I really think he should have used the angles to try and force David to hit on the run, then come in once he had the advantage in the rally. David deals with pace and depth very well due to his amazing hand eye coordination, but his movement has always been susceptible. Unfortunate this wasn't a 5-set match, would have been a lot of fun to watch it go the distance.
Yep the problem was that federer sliced the return which meant he was on the defensive from the word "go". Unless he started chipping and charging, he wasnt getting to net given how well bandy was striking the ball

-Richard Feynman