madrid - Page 23 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-21-2007, 05:21 PM   #331
country flag mangoes
Comparisons are Odious

mangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: madrid

Too good from Nalbandian today in the 2nd and 3rd set. It's a pity this wasn't best of 5. I'd wager money Nalby couldn't keep that level up Nevertheless, we all knew Nalby was capable of this. Roger simply didn't move into another gear when Nalby started to bring it to him. Oh Well!! Please win Basel Roger so that this no. 1 can be tied up

MIRKALAND:

Remember you made the joke that everytime I predict Roger is going to lose a tournament, he goes on to win. This time I actually thought he was going to win

Live Life to the Fullest , Be Happy , Find Peace within Yourself ..................
Tennis Helps!!
mangoes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2007, 05:23 PM   #332
country flag NYCtennisfan
Fed Fo Mod

NYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirkaland View Post
This is what bothers me. I didn't see any fire in Roger's belly in that third set. No 'come on', no fist pump no nothing. Nalbandian looked fired up, Roger looked like he wanted to be somewhere else.
Federer always gets this way when Dave puts pressure on him. ALWAYS. Fed gets frustrated against Nadal because he figures he should beat him, but when Nalbandian plays well, it worries Fed because Fed pretty much has to change his game.

Federer has kicked Nalbandian around for the past few years because he has improved his BH and Nalbandian would always serve weakly giving Fed some chances. Today, Nalbandian served well and harldy missed. What Federer needed to do was change his gameplan and attack the net more and see if he could draw some errors or snag a few volleys. It is very, very difficult to hang with Nalbandian when he's hitting like he was on an indoor court.

Fed will be fine. It's dissapointing that he didn't get to nearly close out the #1 for the year, but oh well. There could be a re-match in Basel next week. Nalbandian, Murray, Nadal, Djokovic....those are the four players that can bother Federer and beat him. To this day, I am a bit relieved when I see Nalbandian on the other side of the draw when TMS events and Slams roll around.
NYCtennisfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 05:26 PM   #333
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayBuster View Post
The only thing that got me truly worried is that I thought that Rogi looked very unconcentrated, irritated, perhaps even frustrated today. Not a good sign, I'd rather not see the Return of Headcase!Roger...
I guess that's what I meant. Maybe not caring isn't the right words. But I prefer the Roger who's trying to pump himself up not one that is irritated and frustrated.

I guess this was just Fat Dave's week....taking out Nadal, Djoker and now Roger.

Thank you Nick for taking out the trash at Wimbledon!
nobama is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 05:28 PM   #334
Fed Fo Mod

NYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond repute

^mirkaland, it's Nalbandian's game that did it. Nobody else can quite do it like that. Fed knows he has to play completely differently when Nalbandian plays like that. He picks up Fed's serve, he knows where Fed is hitting and anticipates well, hits well on the run, the crazy angles...brings back bad memories for the Fed.
Old 10-21-2007, 05:31 PM   #335
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtennisfan View Post
Federer always gets this way when Dave puts pressure on him. ALWAYS. Fed gets frustrated against Nadal because he figures he should beat him, but when Nalbandian plays well, it worries Fed because Fed pretty much has to change his game.

Federer has kicked Nalbandian around for the past few years because he has improved his BH and Nalbandian would always serve weakly giving Fed some chances. Today, Nalbandian served well and harldy missed. What Federer needed to do was change his gameplan and attack the net more and see if he could draw some errors or snag a few volleys. It is very, very difficult to hang with Nalbandian when he's hitting like he was on an indoor court.

Fed will be fine. It's dissapointing that he didn't get to nearly close out the #1 for the year, but oh well. There could be a re-match in Basel next week. Nalbandian, Murray, Nadal, Djokovic....those are the four players that can bother Federer and beat him. To this day, I am a bit relieved when I see Nalbandian on the other side of the draw when TMS events and Slams roll around.
I know Roger will be fine. Fat Dave played well but I still think Roger could have won the match, even in straights and that's what frustrates me.

Old 10-21-2007, 05:31 PM   #336
country flag mangoes
Comparisons are Odious

mangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I also don't think this is going to bother Roger so very much. The biggest disappointment is him not getting nearer to closing out his no. 1 ranking.

Live Life to the Fullest , Be Happy , Find Peace within Yourself ..................
Tennis Helps!!
Old 10-21-2007, 05:32 PM   #337
country flag Mechlan

Mechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I guess that's what I meant. Maybe not caring isn't the right words. But I prefer the Roger who's trying to pump himself up not one that is irritated and frustrated.

I guess this was just Fat Dave's week....taking out Nadal, Djoker and now Roger.
Consciously or not, I think these events have become less important to Roger. If this was a best of 5 match at a GS, I guarantee you Roger would not have lost that third set so meekly.
Mechlan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 05:33 PM   #338
country flag yanchr

yanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond repute

Nalbandian played great. I'm actually not so sad that Roger lost. I'm kind of in a positive mood that Nalbandian can recover his form like he showed today or this week. When he is playing well, he is good to watch.

But Roger...He looked clueless in the 3rd set. No confidence at all, serving bad, returning worse, rallying hopeless...Though Nalbandian did play very well, I don't think his dropped form in the 3rd set was all because of Nalbandian.

Oh well, just a "small" tournament, not GS...

I hope he can play Paris this year.
yanchr is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 05:34 PM   #339
country flag mangoes
Comparisons are Odious

Quote:
I know Roger will be fine. Fat Dave played well but I still think Roger could have won the match, even in straights and that's what frustrates me.
Roger needed to have not gotten broken in that second set..........so that's a bit on him. For sure, Roger could have won the match in 2 set, but he gave Nalby a slight opening, Nalby took it and was simply too strong for Roger to break back.

Personally, I don't care so much anymore about these losses. Roger has had a good year.....and the plus is that if he closes out the year no. 1, he is not only defending points next year but can gain. I now care only about the no. 1 and GSs.

Tennis Helps!!
Old 10-21-2007, 05:37 PM   #340
country flag World Beater

World Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Thats a tough decision for federer to make against bandy because he believed that was the key reason he lost to bandy so many times early.

What should federer do?

Should he hope his rhythm comes back from the baseline or should he start chipping and charging or..?

Ive seen federer - bandy matches in the past where federer was being dominated from the baseline for periods, and federer has elected to stay at the baseline. For the most part it has paid dividends, but when david starts serving like he did today, it becomes tough.

I was disappointed that federer started slicing all those bh returns when he was having success in the 1st stepping in and taking control. I understand that federer thinks the slice is effective against bandy and it is, because of how relatively flat nalbandian hits the ball, but he was just slicing too much. After the second set, federer was on the back foot on the fh the whole time. I dont even know if he hit any winners on the fh.
There are 10^11 stars in the galaxy. That used to be a huge number. But it's only a hundred billion. It's less than the national deficit! We used to call them astronomical numbers. Now we should call them economical numbers.

-Richard Feynman

World Beater is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 05:37 PM   #341
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

Quote:
^mirkaland, it's Nalbandian's game that did it. Nobody else can quite do it like that. Fed knows he has to play completely differently when Nalbandian plays like that. He picks up Fed's serve, he knows where Fed is hitting and anticipates well, hits well on the run, the crazy angles...brings back bad memories for the Fed.
I know what your saying and I don't disagree, but Fat Dave really hasn't done shit this year. The last few times he's played Roger he was beaten quite easily. Yeah I know when he's 'on' and playing well he's tough for anyone but I still think this match was winable for Roger. Like you said earlier, Roger needed to change his game plan and he didn't do it. That's what frustrates me.

Old 10-21-2007, 05:38 PM   #342
Fed Fo Mod

It will be interesting to see the transcript of this one.
Old 10-21-2007, 05:42 PM   #343
country flag Or Levy

Or Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond repute

Well. That was depressing.

I did not think he looked good from the first ball, the serve was down, he made much more errors, seemed grumpy even in the first set, and the sprinkles thing draw no humor out of him. I mean, when was the last time we've seen him standing there with his arms crossed, looking totally peeved?

And the last few games... ACK. He just kept missing, reminded me of IW or Miami there for a second. Odd, consider how badly Nalby owned him, when was the last time one of THESE GUYS managed to do anything against Roger?

I mean - he looked SO good throughout the tournament, only to lose in the final. I give Nalby credit, but not that much credit, at the end - Roger gift-wrapped the match for him.
Or Levy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 05:42 PM   #344
Fed Fo Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Beater View Post
Thats a tough decision for federer to make against bandy because he believed that was the key reason he lost to bandy so many times early.

What should federer do?

Should he hope his rhythm comes back from the baseline or should he start chipping and charging or..?

Ive seen federer - bandy matches in the past where federer was being dominated from the baseline for periods, and federer has elected to stay at the baseline. For the most part it has paid dividends, but when david starts serving like he did today, it becomes tough.

I was disappointed that federer started slicing all those bh returns when he was having success in the 1st stepping in and taking control. I understand that federer thinks the slice is effective against bandy and it is, because of how relatively flat nalbandian hits the ball, but he was just slicing too much. After the second set, federer was on the back foot on the fh the whole time. I dont even know if he hit any winners on the fh.
This is true. This strategy paid off last year the TMC after the 1st set, and also paid off in the 2005 TMC where Dave imploded but Fed couldn't serve it out. I think the difference here is that Fed should've realized that Dave is not going to implode this week. It would've been a different story if this were a QF match. Fed knew going in that this guy took apart Nadal and Djoke.

You're right about the returns though. All week he has shown an effective power drive BH return and it's a mystery why he doesn't use it more, especially when slicing the ball wasn't working as he got ran around on Nalbandian's serve.
Old 10-21-2007, 05:42 PM   #345
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

This pic sums up the day perfectly.