Why Has Canas Fallen Off The Planet? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-29-2007, 04:47 AM   #1
country flag Jaffas85

Jaffas85 has a reputation beyond reputeJaffas85 has a reputation beyond reputeJaffas85 has a reputation beyond reputeJaffas85 has a reputation beyond reputeJaffas85 has a reputation beyond reputeJaffas85 has a reputation beyond reputeJaffas85 has a reputation beyond reputeJaffas85 has a reputation beyond reputeJaffas85 has a reputation beyond reputeJaffas85 has a reputation beyond reputeJaffas85 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why Has Canas Fallen Off The Planet?

From February (costa do sauipe) - May (French Open) Canas was playing like a Top 10 player but ever since Davydenko beat him at the French Open he's basically disappeared and has had very average results.

Can this be put down to the Grass court and U.S. Hardcourt season which is a faster time (court speed) of the year than the first half or has he just lost motivation and his drive to do as well as he did in the first half of the year?
Jaffas85 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2007, 04:48 AM   #2
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why Has Canas Fallen Off The Planet?

'cause of the big steroid bust?

star is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 04:58 AM   #3
country flag RickDaStick

RickDaStick has a reputation beyond reputeRickDaStick has a reputation beyond reputeRickDaStick has a reputation beyond reputeRickDaStick has a reputation beyond reputeRickDaStick has a reputation beyond reputeRickDaStick has a reputation beyond reputeRickDaStick has a reputation beyond reputeRickDaStick has a reputation beyond reputeRickDaStick has a reputation beyond reputeRickDaStick has a reputation beyond reputeRickDaStick has a reputation beyond repute

Who is this Canas character you speak of ?
RickDaStick is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 04:59 AM   #4
country flag Allure
Fan of Mugs

Allure has a reputation beyond reputeAllure has a reputation beyond reputeAllure has a reputation beyond reputeAllure has a reputation beyond reputeAllure has a reputation beyond reputeAllure has a reputation beyond reputeAllure has a reputation beyond reputeAllure has a reputation beyond reputeAllure has a reputation beyond reputeAllure has a reputation beyond reputeAllure has a reputation beyond repute

Shame. He was destined for greatness after beating Federer twice.
Allure is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 05:01 AM   #5
country flag Caralimon

Caralimon has a reputation beyond reputeCaralimon has a reputation beyond reputeCaralimon has a reputation beyond reputeCaralimon has a reputation beyond reputeCaralimon has a reputation beyond reputeCaralimon has a reputation beyond reputeCaralimon has a reputation beyond reputeCaralimon has a reputation beyond reputeCaralimon has a reputation beyond reputeCaralimon has a reputation beyond reputeCaralimon has a reputation beyond repute

He practically never stopped playing since his comeback in September. He played challengers till november, then traveled to Russia in early December and and then some exhibitions.

He played like 80 matches 9 months, I was expecting a certain stepback in his results. I don't know what will happen next, he had a one month layoff so he should be better by now, now plays Metz next week.
Caralimon is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 05:07 AM   #6
country flag krystlel

krystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond repute

To say he has fallen off the planet is an overreaction.

Canas wasn't able to play for a long while because of the suspension and would have had more motivation having missed playing and having felt that his suspension was unfair, but I guess now he is back into the week-to-week grind of the tour. Even in the clay court season, Canas didn't do as well as expected in the Masters Series events when people thought he'd be one of the major contenders.

I never felt that Canas was going to be able to keep up the results that he had achieved in the early part of 2007 anyway. It is very normal for most players to go through a period where they don't do as well. But I guess it will be interesting to see if Canas manages to pick up his play at some point.
krystlel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 05:29 AM   #7
country flag VolandriFan

VolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond repute

Here goes again.

Mental and physical exhaustion. Canas played more matches than almost anyone on the tour in the last 9 months, and let's not forget that he's not the youngest man out there anymore. His game style is taxing, he needs to run many extra miles during matches against his younger opponents. No one can be expected to keep up that level for as long as he did, but he was desperate to get back into the top 20 by the end of the year, which he has surpassed.

On the mental side, he was suspended, dealt with the lows of not being able to compete, then was suddenly thrust back into the spotlight with great expectations. Coming from unranked to beating the world number 1 in consecutive tournaments can be very tiring mentally. He had high hopes for RG, which he wasn't able to translate into results, so he felt a bit down after that. Also, he's had to deal with the trial and mixed verdicts, the public and player's opinions of him and been involved with a new girl.

That's a huge year by anyone's standards, and you can't blame him for going a bit off recently. He'll be back stronger than ever after the off-season.

Fognini|Mathieu|Falla|Bolelli|Muller|Verdasco
Monaco|Garcia-Lopez|Dancevic|Granollers|Massu|Schwank
Wolmarans|Xristos|Ferrer|Monfils|Alcaide|Starace
VolandriFan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 05:29 AM   #8
country flag prima donna
Banned!

prima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond repute

Hahahaha.
prima donna is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 05:32 AM   #9
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

He's just back to his usual level.
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 05:34 AM   #10
country flag Marek.

Marek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennMirnyi View Post
He's just back to his usual level.
Pretty much. What more do people expect from a pusher with a decent serve?
Marek. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 05:44 AM   #11
country flag VolandriFan

VolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond reputeVolandriFan has a reputation beyond repute

When not injured, Guillermo has always been a solid 15-20 player, and has been in the top 10 for a couple of months too. He has some good scalps and would have achieved more without the hindrance of injuries and suspension. As much as some of you would like to think of him as an average player, he is much better than that.

Fognini|Mathieu|Falla|Bolelli|Muller|Verdasco
Monaco|Garcia-Lopez|Dancevic|Granollers|Massu|Schwank
Wolmarans|Xristos|Ferrer|Monfils|Alcaide|Starace
VolandriFan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 05:52 AM   #12
country flag vahep

vahep has a reputation beyond reputevahep has a reputation beyond reputevahep has a reputation beyond reputevahep has a reputation beyond reputevahep has a reputation beyond reputevahep has a reputation beyond reputevahep has a reputation beyond reputevahep has a reputation beyond reputevahep has a reputation beyond reputevahep has a reputation beyond reputevahep has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek P. View Post
Pretty much. What more do people expect from a pusher with a decent serve?
You forgot his great court coverage , well above average defensive skills, and consistent, minimal u/e ground strokes. Perfect skill sets for giving Fed trouble.

Fed eats up blasters for breakfast, but the pesky defenders with good strength are his albatross. But being a 30 y/o grinder does not bode well for future success.
vahep is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 08:41 AM   #13
country flag Horatio Caine
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Horatio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond repute

Probably a combination of fatigue (he played a lot since last September) and the fact that the courts, in the second half of the season, don't play so well for his style.

He's already on his way down now imo...
Horatio Caine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 08:42 AM   #14
country flag scoobs
Anastasia Komananov, KGB

scoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by J'torian View Post
Who knows? There was probably a momentary shift in the local gravity field.
Yes it's annoying when that happens, but what can you expect from gravity fields?
scoobs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 08:46 AM   #15
country flag Iván
Banned!

Iván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond reputeIván has a reputation beyond repute

Canas should take real pride by defeating federer back to back on hardcourts this year.
Iván is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote