The "Slip-Sliding to Spain to Try Their Best" 2008 Davis Cup Thread!! - Page 57 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-21-2008, 08:46 PM   #841
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The "Slip-Sliding to Spain to Try Their Best" 2008 Davis Cup Thread!!

Why is everybody so fatalistic about Andy losing to Rafa on clay? Nobody beats Rafa on clay, not even Roger. I thought Andy did as well as he could. The scoreline could have been a lot worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deboogle!. View Post
Who disagrees with me now that it would've been better for Mike and Mardy to just lose
I do. Better it's 1-4 than 0-5, that's for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blosson View Post
Is there anything left Andy's able to win in 2008?
Indoor season. But I hope Andy pulls out of Beijing or Japan or whatever asian tour he has on his schedule to rest up. I don't want any more injuries the rest of the year.
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2008, 09:18 PM   #842
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The "Slip-Sliding to Spain to Try Their Best" 2008 Davis Cup Thread!!

You're forgetting the Ferrer loss, IMO that is the one that will stick with Andy much longer. But who's been fatalistic about his loss to Rafa today? It was a bad loss, he didn't execute the gameplan he attempted, that's too bad, but no one's surprised at the result It seems very clear to me Andy's having a confidence problem against top players, or players who are putting him in tight positions. He's not performing well in the tight moments. Against Djokovic, against Ferrer, even today when he had his break points. Something's not right with him and I can't pretend that it is all well and good in his camp. he needs a coach. NOW. And honestly, is 1-4 really less bad than 0-5? Is that point worth it for Andy to be embarrassed again? To me it's not. But I am glad he was beaten easily in straights instead of yet another close heartbreaker. At least this way he can be like "too good Rafa, oh well" instead of ruing more missed opportunities yet again.

He's got Beijing AND Tokyo on his schedule. We'll see, he hasn't pulled out yet

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 09:51 PM   #843
country flag tennis lover

tennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond repute

ouch, looks like it was a rough day at the office for Andy. I didn't see it but I'm sure he went out there and gave 100% and from what I've read Nadal played briliantly and no-one would have got near him. I'm pleased with the effort the team gave this weekend.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
tennis lover is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 03:00 PM   #844
country flag Raina

Raina has a reputation beyond reputeRaina has a reputation beyond reputeRaina has a reputation beyond reputeRaina has a reputation beyond reputeRaina has a reputation beyond reputeRaina has a reputation beyond reputeRaina has a reputation beyond reputeRaina has a reputation beyond reputeRaina has a reputation beyond reputeRaina has a reputation beyond reputeRaina has a reputation beyond repute

Roddick and McEnroe to split
Eurosport | Sun, Sep 21, 20:14
US Davis Cup captain Patrick McEnroe will not continue as Andy Roddick's stand-in coach. "Patrick has Davis Cup, he is in charge of player development, he is going to have three baby girls under two years old running around his house, so he doesn't need another baby," Roddick said.
Raina is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 03:02 PM   #845
country flag Raina

Raina has a reputation beyond reputeRaina has a reputation beyond reputeRaina has a reputation beyond reputeRaina has a reputation beyond reputeRaina has a reputation beyond reputeRaina has a reputation beyond reputeRaina has a reputation beyond reputeRaina has a reputation beyond reputeRaina has a reputation beyond reputeRaina has a reputation beyond reputeRaina has a reputation beyond repute

Entry No. 4 – Sunday, Sept. 21

I thought, overall, it was a great weekend. I think that both teams played very fair, played very hard, but with respect for the opposition.

I think that’s very important because I don’t think you need to play games to play hard and play well. I think both teams did that. We did that last year when we beat them at home, and they were respectful of the situation and we were respectful of them doing what they did here.

But for our team, I think we’ve made progress on clay – I think we played some good clay-court tennis here in the singles and the doubles.

Obviously, Spain is maybe the best team in the world on clay, so we acquitted ourselves quite well in every match. We had chances in every match except for first match today. So, overall, I think there are a lot of positives for us.

I sure hope that we’re back in the Davis Cup final again. I think a lot of it has to do with the draw, and getting some important home matches.

Certainly, I’d be surprised if it’s 12 more years before we win again. With the guys that we have on the team, and Sam joining showing us the way that he’s capable of playing in big matches, I won’t predict how long, but it’s not going to be 12 years.

I plan to be around as Davis Cup captain for a little bit longer, that’s for sure. I doubt I’ll be around for 12 years so I hope we can get another one off while I’m still around.

A lot of people have asked me about my coaching relationship with Andy Roddick. I’ll always do whatever I can to help him just as I would do with any of these guys if they ask for my advice or counsel. I think Andy has some ideas about looking for a coach.

Maybe not full-time, but part-time I can help him as a coach when he comes to New York or some events.

But obviously with my other responsibilities, it would be hard for me to be a full-time coach. I don’t think my wife would go for that anyway! That’s the most important, and I think he understands that.

We’ll continue to exchange thoughts, but Andy always knows what’s most important for what he needs and what he wants. I think Andy needs to commit to a certain style, and if he does, he has a couple of really good years ahead of him.
Old 09-22-2008, 03:05 PM   #846
country flag Raina

Attached Images
File Type: jpg untitled.jpg (31.6 KB, 24 views)
Old 09-22-2008, 03:59 PM   #847
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for those, Raina Nice pic of Andy and Rafa together, we don't get to see many of those.

btw, does anybody know what the Madrid crowd was chanting at Andy when he was serving 2-4 in the third? Andy lifted his arms and the crowd started chanting either "Andy" or "Roddick" or something else I couldn't make it out. It was a nice moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raina View Post
Roddick and McEnroe to split
Eurosport | Sun, Sep 21, 20:14
US Davis Cup captain Patrick McEnroe will not continue as Andy Roddick's stand-in coach. "Patrick has Davis Cup, he is in charge of player development, he is going to have three baby girls under two years old running around his house, so he doesn't need another baby," Roddick said.
Andy

I think PMac served as a great coach stand-in for Andy. He knows Andy and his game so well and they have a good relationship. It'll be interesting to see who Andy takes on full-time.
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
Old 09-22-2008, 04:27 PM   #848
country flag Raina

You're welcome Tangy!

They were chanting RODDICK! RODDICK! RODDICK!
Old 09-22-2008, 04:41 PM   #849
country flag Kate87

Kate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond repute

Having struggled with the mostly Spanish fans on Friday, Roddick got them on side when he raised his hands as if to ask them to cheer for a missed first serve during the third set. The fans responded by good-naturedly chanting “Roddick, Roddick” and the American player smiled up at the stands.

“Yeah, they’re only going to do that if your getting your butt kicked,” said a good-natured Roddick afterwards .

besides them rooting for: Bob Bryan; Mike Bryan; MarTy Fish
Kate87 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 04:59 PM   #850
country flag Deboogle!.

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

WHERE IS THAT FROM KATAKATE? What idiot reporter would make that kind of blatantly horrific grammatical mistake

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Old 09-22-2008, 05:14 PM   #851
country flag Kate87

Kate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond repute

daviscup.com

Old 09-22-2008, 05:24 PM   #852
country flag Deboogle!.

oh my god.

Old 09-22-2008, 05:27 PM   #853
country flag Tytta!.
(:

Tytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond repute

Tytta!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:50 PM   #854
country flag Kate87

since we don't have the press conferences I think I will post this article with quotes

U.S. Davis Cup Team: It Could Have Been Worse

In a press conference following their 4-1 defeat at the hands of Spain, the defending champion U.S. Davis Cup team sought to emphasize the positives.

“Hey, it’s one more than John got in 2000 when they went to Spain,” said captain Patrick McEnroe, referring to his elder brother, who as the Davis Cup skipper was on the receiving end of a shutout against a Spanish team equally adept on the surface eight years ago.

Even when compared to the 3-2 defeat they endured against in the 2004 finals, the younger McEnroe and team stalwart Andy Roddick found reasons to be positive.

“In the first three singles matches of this year’s tie, we won a total of three sets, which is two more than we won at that juncture four years ago,” McEnroe pointed out.

“Yeah, and I doubled my sets total,” Roddick immediately added.
The 26-year-old American stressed how tough it has been to recover momentum following his mid-season injuries that kept him out of Roland Garros.

However, he had more difficulty when asked more detailed questions, such as how he let his five-set tussle with David Ferrer on Friday slip away, a win that could have even the score at one-apiece. He was equally tested in naming the positives he could take from his blowout loss against Nadal on Sunday.

“Well ... considering Ferrer blew me off the court in Shanghai last year, I thought it was a pretty good result,” Roddick said. “And Nadal? I mean, come on ... it’s Nadal. On clay. You guys remember the French Open, right?

“I got more games from him than (Nicolas) Almagro and (Fernando) Verdasco did put together in Paris.”

At this point, Roddick’s teammate, Sam Querrey, a late substitute for an unavailable James Blake, interjected.

“Hey, did you guys write about how I won a set off Nadal?” Querrey asked the gaggle of reporters assembled.

“Yeah, Sam, thanks for warming Rafa up for me,” Roddick responded. “I wouldn’t have wanted him to have been under par or anything.”

Mardy Fish, another late substitute — he for Bob Bryan — teamed with Mike Bryan to score the Americans’ only point of the tie, a five-set victory over Verdasco and Feliciano Lopez. This was perhaps the reason why Fish’s enthusiasm at the post-tie press conference appeared the most genuine.

“Maybe doubles is where I should have been playing all along,” said Fish, whose singles record in Davis Cup is just below .500.

“I mean, not that Bob is going to start getting injured more often in the future. And not that I would have anything to do with it if he did ..." he said, his voice trailing off at the end.

McEnroe then asked those present at the conference if they could recall a time — “any time at all,” he said — in the past decade or so in which the Spanish Davis Cup team had lost a tie at home and on clay in the past decade.

“Exactly my point,” McEnroe said after several moments of silence. “Asking us why we can’t beat Spain on clay is a bit like asking us why we can’t beat the Red Wings in Detroit. On their field of choice, it’s like playing an entirely different game.”

McEnroe hoped to use his remarks to preemptively silence those who will question why the Americans can’t win seem to win latter-round ties on clay, often faltering against nations such as Spain and Russia on the surface.

Last year, having drawn both of those nations at home in the United States, the Americans swept to their first Davis Cup title in a dozen years. Though they would face the Spanish team at home should they play next years, an away match with Russia looms again, as would one with Argentina should the two teams play one another.

Having relied on mostly the same squad of Roddick, Blake, and the Bryan brothers in the past several years, McEnroe declined to comment as to whether there would be any lineup changes after the strong performances of Querrey and Fish during the weekend.

He also expressed confidence in the next Davis Cup season, regardless of any hypothetical showdowns with a clay-loving team. When asked if American tennis fans would have to wait another 12 years for the next U.S. Davis Cup triumph, McEnroe said, “Naw, of course not.”

“Ten at the most.”

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/6...ave-been-worse

Old 09-22-2008, 10:04 PM   #855
Last dance, Andy

Quote:
“Well ... considering Ferrer blew me off the court in Shanghai last year, I thought it was a pretty good result,” Roddick said. “And Nadal? I mean, come on ... it’s Nadal. On clay. You guys remember the French Open, right? I got more games from him than (Nicolas) Almagro and (Fernando) Verdasco did put together in Paris.”

“Hey, did you guys write about how I won a set off Nadal?” Querrey asked the gaggle of reporters assembled.

“Yeah, Sam, thanks for warming Rafa up for me,” Roddick responded. “I wouldn’t have wanted him to have been under par or anything.”

“Maybe doubles is where I should have been playing all along,” said Fish, whose singles record in Davis Cup is just below .500.

When asked if American tennis fans would have to wait another 12 years for the next U.S. Davis Cup triumph, McEnroe said, “Naw, of course not. Ten at the most.”
Please tell me this is for real. Isn't Bleacher Report a bloggers newssource?

Mugs Tennis Forums