The "Slip-Sliding to Spain to Try Their Best" 2008 Davis Cup Thread!! - Page 49 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-28-2008, 11:32 PM   #721
country flag ~*BGT*~

~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*BGT*~ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The "Slip-Sliding to Spain to Try Their Best" 2008 Davis Cup Thread!!

I guess this can go here, but I wrote to "I was there.." and got my article put on Andy's site.

Davis Cup is a great opportunity for fans to see real passion and fight on a tennis court. For a fan who’s never been to a tennis match before, and hasn’t seen Andy in a Davis Cup atmosphere, this is the best place to start!

Danielle Ford describes this very experience to us:

“As soon as the Davis Cup quarterfinal between France and the US had been confirmed, I knew I had to go. I had never been to a professional tennis event before and knew I was going to be impressed. Andy is my favorite and I was very excited at the prospect of seeing him in person. My older brother, my nephew and I flew from Baton Rouge, LA to Raleigh, NC and then took the two hour drive to Winston-Salem just to see and support our American boys. I even made some t-shirts! One said “Serve it up Andy” on the front and “Go James” on the back while the other said “Come on Bryans”. Andy’s first match was so much fun! He was pumped up and got the US to a flying start. And of course, the perfect 9-0 clinching record was extended to 10-0 on Sunday.

Unfortunately, I could not get close enough to get an autograph but I did get some pictures while he was practicing with James Saturday afternoon. I was so happy to see that Andy signed the most autographs out of anyone when he clearly could have refused them. It showed how down to earth and cool he is.

All in all, I had the time of my life. I am already planning to go see him in Miami next year. Hope to get an autograph this time!”

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
~*BGT*~ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2008, 08:36 PM   #722
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The "Slip-Sliding to Spain to Try Their Best" 2008 Davis Cup Thread!!

So get this: the clay god Spaniards are afraid of holding the DC semis in Madrid where the altitude could actually put the Americans on equal footing with the Spanish team even though we are supposed to be a bunch of clowns who couldn't beat Robert Dee on clay.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/...-Cup-Spain.php

Davis Cup city selection gets ugly
May 6, 2008

MADRID, Spain: The selection process to determine which city will host Spain's Davis Cup semifinal series against the United States is threatening to turn into a mutiny.

The players and team captain are upset that the Spanish tennis federation appears to be ready to overlook home-court advantage in favor of sponsorship money.

Madrid is one of four cities vying to host the Sept. 19-21 best-of-five series at the Las Ventas bullring. Benidorm, Tenerife and Gijon are also trying to win the right to host the event.

The Spanish players are worried that Madrid's 2,100-foot altitude — making it the highest capital city in Europe — will take away its precious clay-court advantage against the defending champions.

They believe that Andy Roddick's booming serve and the hard-hitting doubles pair of Bob and Mike Bryan will be equal to the hosts despite playing on their least favorite surface.

Madrid's sudden place as the front-runner comes about three months after the city's tourist office signed up as a key sponsor with the Davis Cup through 2010.

"What I know is that as of today it hasn't been decided where the Davis Cup semifinal will be staged," federation sporting director Javier Duarte said. "That which has the best specifics will take the semifinal."

Marca newspaper reported Tuesday that Spain captain Emilio Sanchez Vicario had sent the federation his notice of resignation because his objections to playing in Madrid had fallen on deaf ears, with Madrid already believed to be a lock.

Federation president Pedro Munoz dismissed the reports that Sanchez Vicario had resigned on Tuesday, while Duarte denied that a players' rebellion was brewing.

"You have to respect that, every player and every captain has his preferences," Duarte said. "I was once captain and opinion is important. You have to listen to all sides and undertake a valuation of all information."

Juan Carlos Ferrero, who was part of the Spanish team that beat the Americans in Seville nearly four years ago for the title, said problems were brewing.

"We players want this to be solved in the best way possible, but if it has to be done the worse way, then it will be," the former top-ranked player said from the Rome Masters.

The federation will make its decision Friday, but then has several days to relay its decision to the International Tennis Federation, which is expected to announce the host city by May 13.

Benidorm's Parque Tematico Tierra Mitica, the Parque Hermanos Castro in Gijon and the Estadio Olimpico Arturo Dominguez in Tenerife are the other venues.

The slowest of all playing surfaces, clay is a more physical surface with its lengthier baseline rallies due to balls taking on heavier topspin.

Three-time French Open champion Rafael Nadal will play for Spain if is healthy. He has won 103 of his last 104 matches on clay.

Roddick lost both of his singles matches against Spain at the Stadio Olimpico in 2004 in front of a record crown of 27,200.

"I hadn't really been following that, to be honest," Roddick said from Rome on Tuesday. "There's a lot of big events between now and then ... so it's not something I think about daily."

Roddick, who trails only John McEnroe and Andre Agassi in Davis Cup wins for the United States, said he would be happy with whatever city the federation choses.

"I'm sure wherever it is it's going to be fine. It's always nice when there's interest," the sixth-ranked American said. "Any time there's that kind of attention drawn to tennis and that excitement, it's not going to be a bad thing."
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 09:13 PM   #723
country flag GollyLou

GollyLou has a reputation beyond reputeGollyLou has a reputation beyond reputeGollyLou has a reputation beyond reputeGollyLou has a reputation beyond reputeGollyLou has a reputation beyond reputeGollyLou has a reputation beyond reputeGollyLou has a reputation beyond reputeGollyLou has a reputation beyond reputeGollyLou has a reputation beyond reputeGollyLou has a reputation beyond reputeGollyLou has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The Spanish players are worried that Madrid's 2,100-foot altitude — making it the highest capital city in Europe — will take away its precious clay-court advantage against the defending champions.

They believe that Andy Roddick's booming serve and the hard-hitting doubles pair of Bob and Mike Bryan will be equal to the hosts despite playing on their least favorite surface.
Are they thinking of the same Andy Roddick who can barely win one match in Madrid if he turns up there each year?

at one point in your life you have the thing you want or the reasons why you don't

my tennis photos: recently uploaded: cincinnati [august 10]

Last edited by GollyLou : 05-06-2008 at 09:13 PM. Reason: edit
GollyLou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 09:14 PM   #724
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like someone's making a mountain out of a molehill - namely the press

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 09:52 PM   #725
country flag Winston's Human

Winston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond repute

I cannot believe the Spaniards are thinking of having DC in the Canary Islands.

If they really want a low-altitude venue, maybe they can build a floating clay court?
Winston's Human is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 09:00 PM   #726
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute

More Sam-for-DC bandwagon riders

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...07/mail/1.html

You wrote about Sam Querrey: "While it won't likely earn him a place on the next Davis Cup team, as some of you suggested..." Yahoo! Ya gotta luv the politics! -- Maria, Long Island, N.Y.

Disagree. Sure Querrey posted a strong result on clay while the other Americans didn't bother entering the event. But you're talking about an American team that won the Davis Cup in 2007 and boasts two top-10 singles players who have committed themselves for the best part of this decade. You really want to say to Roddick or James Blake: "Thanks for availing yourself for the last dozen ties. But, hey, Sam won three matches in Monte Carlo, so I'm calling him in from the bullpen"?
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
Old 05-07-2008, 09:21 PM   #727
country flag OnyxRose

OnyxRose has a reputation beyond reputeOnyxRose has a reputation beyond reputeOnyxRose has a reputation beyond reputeOnyxRose has a reputation beyond reputeOnyxRose has a reputation beyond reputeOnyxRose has a reputation beyond reputeOnyxRose has a reputation beyond reputeOnyxRose has a reputation beyond reputeOnyxRose has a reputation beyond reputeOnyxRose has a reputation beyond reputeOnyxRose has a reputation beyond repute

Maria is an idiot. Let's wait and see that Sam does in his next clay match before we overthrown anyone, 'kay?
OnyxRose is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 08:10 PM   #728
country flag Deboogle!.

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

Let the fun begin.
=================
Madrid picked for US-Spain Davis Cup semifinal

2 hours ago

MADRID, Spain (AP) — Rejecting pleas from its players and coach, the Spanish tennis federation chose Madrid's bullring Friday as the venue for the Davis Cup semifinal series against the United States.

The Spanish players had preferred one of the three other candidates — Benidorm, Tenerife and Gijon — for the Sept. 19-21 matchup against the defending champion Americans.

Rafael Nadal, the three-time French Open champion, was among eight Spanish players and captain Emilio Sanchez Vicario who signed an open letter this week denouncing the federation's process for choosing the host city.

The team said Madrid's 2,100-foot altitude will remove the team's home-court advantage and accused federation president Pedro Munoz of favoring the capital city because of sponsorship money.

The Spaniards are at their best on a slow clay surface, while the Americans — led by hard-serving Andy Roddick — are likely to benefit from the higher altitude speeding up play.

It's the first time in 10 years that Madrid will host a Davis Cup match.

Friday's decision was made by a secret ballot of federation board members, with Munoz abstaining, national news agency Efe reported. Madrid received nine votes, Benidorm four, Gijon two and Tenerife one.

The players — also including fifth-ranked David Ferrer and former French Open champion Carlos Moya — have threatened to boycott all the promotional events for the federation and its sponsors as long as Munoz remains president.

"The problem is not so much the altitude but ... at first he (Munoz) said he would adhere to the requests of the players and then he went back on his word. That is what hurt us, that he doesn't honor his promises," Sanchez Vicario told Radio Marca on Friday.

Madrid's selection came three months after the city's tourist office signed up as a key sponsor with the Davis Cup through 2010. Madrid also is bidding to host the 2016 Olympics.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Old 05-09-2008, 08:17 PM   #729
country flag GollyLou

GollyLou has a reputation beyond reputeGollyLou has a reputation beyond reputeGollyLou has a reputation beyond reputeGollyLou has a reputation beyond reputeGollyLou has a reputation beyond reputeGollyLou has a reputation beyond reputeGollyLou has a reputation beyond reputeGollyLou has a reputation beyond reputeGollyLou has a reputation beyond reputeGollyLou has a reputation beyond reputeGollyLou has a reputation beyond repute

Madrid!!!

at one point in your life you have the thing you want or the reasons why you don't

Old 05-09-2008, 09:28 PM   #730
country flag PinkFeatherBoa

PinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond repute

Madrid.

Sod what the players might think, there is no way in hell that I was going to be able to go if it were in the Canaries or wherever. At least now there is hope and I heart Madrid which helps.

Maybe the sky will fall?
Allez Gasquet~Mathieu~Wawrinka~Mannarino~+++
PinkFeatherBoa is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:47 PM   #731
Last dance, Andy

Andy beat Robredo on clay, tee hee!

Look out Spain the Americans are coming to get you.

Mugs Tennis Forums
Old 05-09-2008, 09:53 PM   #732
country flag GollyLou

Madrid was the only one of those cities that had a major airport even close to it so it makes travelling so much easier!

After today, anyone really think that they'll pick Robredo for DC?

Old 05-09-2008, 09:54 PM   #733
country flag Deboogle!.

They wouldn't anyway, unless Nadal and/or Ferrer don't play. Maybe for doubles or a dead rubber, but not a live one

Old 05-10-2008, 02:06 AM   #734
country flag Winston's Human

Winston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GollyLou View Post
After today, anyone really think that they'll pick Robredo for DC?

Not with the options of choosing Nadal, Ferrer or Almagro.
Winston's Human is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 08:05 PM   #735
country flag Oj-Ala

Oj-Ala has a reputation beyond reputeOj-Ala has a reputation beyond reputeOj-Ala has a reputation beyond reputeOj-Ala has a reputation beyond reputeOj-Ala has a reputation beyond reputeOj-Ala has a reputation beyond reputeOj-Ala has a reputation beyond reputeOj-Ala has a reputation beyond reputeOj-Ala has a reputation beyond reputeOj-Ala has a reputation beyond reputeOj-Ala has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,
Excuse me, does anyone here know anything about tickets !?

Thank you !!!!!!!!!!!!!
DEL POTROGASQUETKIEFERCLEMENTANDREEV...

"Im a great kisser" -Andy Roddick

Roger: YOU ARE GOLD !

Oj-Ala is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote